AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

4 minutes ago, Imperial said:

RIP Ironclad :/

Actually it makes him a pretty good target for ethereal amulet now. 3+ unrendable rr1s to save.

Oh and the MSU gattling cannon is from power of the waaagh!

Allegiance: Ironjawz

Leaders
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Warchanter (80)

Battleline
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas

Battalions
Weirdfist (160)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 196

All the classic benefits of a weirdfist, now with a 24" range 15 dice - 3+ d3 mortals,  6+ d6 mortals.

graph.php?q=b:0.5:15:d3:0;b:0.17:15:d6:0

Average of 24 mortals, yeah enjoy that...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Actually it makes him a pretty good target for ethereal amulet now. 3+ unrendable rr1s to save.

Leaders
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Warchanter (80)

Battleline
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas

Battalions
Weirdfist (160)

All the classic benefits of a weirdfist, now with a 24" range 15 dice - 3+ d3 mortals,  6+ d6 mortals.

Read page again! You dont need IJ shaman for spells! xD

4 minutes ago, Imperial said:

Read page again! You dont need IJ shaman for spells! xD

1 you will, 2 the weirdnob is an extra dice for your power of the waaagh! And has +2 to cast it, why would you take anything else...

EDIT: Unless you're telling me there's a minimum unit size?

Edited by Malakree

5 minutes ago, Malakree said:

1 you will, 2 the weirdnob is an extra dice for your power of the waaagh! And has +2 to cast it, why would you take anything else...

I opened some battletomes and find this
"Each IDONETH DEEPKINWIZARD in an IDONETH DEEPKIN army knows an additional spell chosen from the Lore of the Deeps"

"You can choose or roll for one spell from one of the following tables for each SLAANESH WIZARD in a Slaanesh army."

"You can choose or roll for one spell from one of the following tables for each SKAVEN WIZARD in a Skaventide army."

GHB 2019 IJ lore rules:

"You can choose or roll for one spell from one of the following tables for each  WIZARD in a Ironjawz army."

Ok. I found this and this in FAQ, so i think we need wait new FAQ first of all because of new Mersenary system 

Q: If a warscroll or set of allegiance abilities has a rule that contradicts the core rules, can I use it? For example, Lord Kroak has a rule that allows him to attempt to cast Celestial Deliverance up to three times in the hero phase, but this contradicts the core rule that you can only attempt to cast a spell once per turn. A: Warscrolls and allegiance abilities take precedence over the core rules that appear before the core rules for battleplans, warscrolls and allegiance abilities. This allows you to do things that would not normally be allowed. In the case of Lord Kroak, his rule means he can attempt to cast Celestial Deliverance up to three times in the same turn.

Q: Some spell and prayer allegiance abilities say that can be used by Wizards or Priests in the army. Does this include allied Wizards or Priests? A: No. Allied models cannot use or benefit from allegiance abilities.

I think i will start from this

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (420)
- Boss Gore-hacka and Scrap-tooth
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Skragrott, The Loonking (220)

Battleline
- Pig-iron Choppas
6 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (280)
- Pig-iron Choppas
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
10 x Orruk Brutes (340)
- Jagged Gore-hackas

Endless Spells / Terrain
Prismatic Palisade (30)
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 142

38 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Leaders
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Warchanter (80)

Battleline
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas

Battalions
Weirdfist (160)

Btw Cogs + Balewind Vortex auto include in this list now i think. 7 spells per turn will be crazy if they dont fix foor of gork! 

59 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Leaders
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Warchanter (80)

Battleline
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas

Battalions
Weirdfist (160)

It's units with 2 or more models.

31 minutes ago, Andrew G said:

It's units with 2 or more models.

Bah, drop the warchanters and a weirdnob for another 2 units of gg.

11 dice instead and even more wounds on the board.

Oh and 40 points float for a balewind. Actually a classic weirdfist list.

Edited by Malakree
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

You cannot pick the same unit twice for mighty destroyers, it says it at the end of CA.

"Does it say a unit can only be targeted once per phase?"

Aye, that was raised slightly afterwards. Condition of being on my phone and unable to see the stuff.

• Brutefist and Weirdfist both went up in value.
  • I don't think Bloodtoofs or Gorefist really change that much.
  • Weirdnob definitely went up in value, probably at least 1 for hand of gork (it does have the cannot move afterwards but we can get round that so easily)
  • The rest of the spells are pretty mediocre, Power of the Waaagh! explicitly requires you target different units for each 3+ so more dice only really means more reliable d6s. A solid choice to go in a weirdfist where you've got 5 units around him anyway.
  • Hulking Muscle-bound Brute is actually a really intresting choice for a cabbage. The 2+ d3 mortals means on a charge we should deal >5 wounds.
  • A big unit of 30 Ardboys at 420 points is always going to be a great option, hand of gork them across the board then Ironfist to pin the enemy. They were already pretty good but I can see this being really nice in Bloodtoofs.
  • Still going to be super dependent on Aetherquartz Broach.
  • I suspect the strongest list will now definitely be an Ardfist with Prismatic Palisade. 

Leaders
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- Hand of Gork

Battleline
30 x Orruk Ardboys (420)
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)

Battalions
Ironfist (160)
Bloodtoofs (80)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 152

Something like that as your standard list. Other than that I don't see that much changing, depending on how much the fungoid costs you might swap a warchanter for one although to be honest the 1 drop teleport screen is so nasty for locking your opponent in, it's basically just what they have changed sylvaneth away from.

Spoiler

Leaders
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- Aetherquartz Broach
- Kunnin' whatever it is charge in enemy charge phase thing.

Battleline
30 x Orruk Ardboys (420)
20 x Orruk Ardboys (280)
20 x Orruk Ardboys (280)
20 x Orruk Ardboys (280)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)

Battalions
Ardfist (160)

Endless Spells
Prismatic Palisade (30)

Total: 1910 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 218

The sheer quantity of wounds combined with the ability to hand of gork a unit across the board should mean you just win on objectives. Even a GK on TG will struggle to get through 30 Ardboys and if he does you can just bring them back, teleport them then pop a CP to charge them again. This is probably our strongest list and also horrifically boring to play both with and against. At just 3 drops you will often get to choose to go first aswell and the ridiculous number of bodies should let you screen off the entire board outside of your opponents deployment zone in order to stop him from ever getting out of it. Think sylvaneth but even worse.

Spoiler

Leaders

Battleline
20 x Orruk Ardboys (280)
10 x Orruk Brutes (340)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
10 x Orruk Brutes (340)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas

Battalions
Brute Fist (160)

Wounds: 155

Teleport the Ardboys forward and use them to pin your opponent then run your Brutes up behind. Use the Brutefist to do a Hero Phase charge then drop command points to get them to activate, ironically because it's the hero phase it actually sidesteps a whole bunch of stuff. The cheese version obv takes a block of 20 Brutes instead.

So after the Initial hype and looking at it, some interesting changes but we really need to see what happens to Skaven/FEC before we know.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Furuzzolo said:

Does Mighty Destroyer work strictly in YOUR hero phase or in A hero phase, now?

In your hero phase.

But it opens a lot of shenanigans. Nothing stops you from doing a teleport hand of gork, then use the ironfist d6 move, as that just happens in the hero phase and does not specify when. If heroes are nearby you can then use CP to charge in, and another to fight if you wanted to, getting for example a unit of brutes to cross the board and hit things in the hero phase turn 1.

First draft of the tourney list:

Mortal Realm: Hysh
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
- Trait: Prophet of the Waaagh! 
- Artefact: The Golden Toof 
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch 
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)
Ardfist (170)

Total: 2130 / 2000
Wounds: 179

I didn't bother adjusting the points, but it will equal 2k after the GHB drops.  This is definitely the slow and plodding IJ list, bubble wrap army with a couple 'ardboyz and use the first turn to take up board real estate. You're hiding the chanter,  with the goal of teleporting him with the weirdnob to an advantageous position before you use the recycle. 

This has the CP regen to effectively Waaagh bomb and is resilient enough to weather the storm until it can get into position. You have a couple of techie units in Brutes&GGs:  Brutes to concentrate more punch on a smaller combat frontage and and the GGs to operate independently (probably shooting up the opponents weakside board edge to threaten small units/ foot heroes hanging back on objectives). 

Big sacrifice here was dropping the MK, but the ironclad change really,really hurt the MK. You can compensate with some of the artifacts, but I think @Malakree is right in that aetherquartz is still the engine that makes the list run which locks you into Hysh.

Also, probably a controversial opinion, but the new mighty destroyer change is actually a slight nerf in my eyes. The opportunity cost of spending a CP for mighty destroyers is too high when Waaagh! exists. There will be very situational uses where it's better,  but I'm guessing there's going to a lot of games where I don't use it one time.  

1 minute ago, Scurvydog said:

In your hero phase.

But it opens a lot of shenanigans. Nothing stops you from doing a teleport hand of gork, then use the ironfist d6 move, as that just happens in the hero phase and does not specify when. If heroes are nearby you can then use CP to charge in, and another to fight if you wanted to, getting for example a unit of brutes to cross the board and hit things in the hero phase turn 1.

Can't target the same unit to be affected by Mighty Destroyers, so all the strategies being posted revolving around teleporting huge blocks of units and spending two CP to get that unit to fight in the hero phase are not going to work. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andrew G said:

Can't target the same unit to be affected by Mighty Destroyers, so all the strategies being posted revolving around teleporting huge blocks of units and spending two CP to get that unit to fight in the hero phase are not going to work. 

Ah yea true, still they can easily get into good charging positions at least, with ironfist and bloodtoofs you got a 6+ charge at worst for brutes and 4+ for ardboyz.

Biggest factor is relying on the weirdnob and also not getting stuff dispelled, as it is difficult to plan movement phases based on spell casts.

Still we got a decent deal I think, but we will be craving CP more than ever now to get stuff done.

Well with Hand of Gork you can place the Weirdnob Shaman quite far back and out of LoS to then chick the lads without any fear of it being dispelled. He doesnt need to see the point he is throwing them at so once hes done that and they make the 6" charge as Bloodtoofs, I think hes earned his pts back and can then just throw units about to capture objectives 

It overrides our biggest weakness which is our 4" move on the majority of our units. 

18 hours ago, Andrew G said:

This is actually way better than I anticipated. The upcoming command point change ruined my gorefist, but most of my counterpunch lists got 100+ points cheaper. I'm going to a tourney June 30th,  which is absolutely perfect as I'll be able to utilize the IJ point drops without having to use the early July FAQ where I'm assuming Fungoids are going to 100 or 110. 

What is the change to Command point? 

Arboys at 140 is absolute bargain

1 hour ago, Andrew G said:

"Not All" Brutefist making dem threats!

Seriously though the Mighty Destroyers change is only good, it was way to unreliable previously, we are using Aetherquartz Broach anyway and in the current activation wars being able to attack before the Gristlegheist gets to attack is really important. Plus more reliably being able to trigger the MK charge in the hero phase makes him way better. If you want real lulz you take the Hulking Muscle-bound Brute, for the 2+ d3 mortal impact hits, and the Ghur Artefact which gives you an extra 4+ MW on the charge. 9 dice any 4+ are a mortal, 2+ d3 mortals.

graph.php?q=b:0.5:9:1:0;b:0.83:1:d3:0&f=

Having a pretty reliable chance to kill a 5 wound unit is pretty big for the On The Rampage, especially if you have multiple MK's since you can reliably trigger both of them to charge. My own weirdfist list actually got a pretty reasonable boost from it I think since I didn't Waaagh! bomb that often.

Leaders

Battleline
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas

Battalions/Endless Spells
Weirdfist (160)
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 1890 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Wounds: 119

Gives me an extra 110 points float. Not sure what I'd spend it on but being able to get my Cabbages out of Combat, stopping them from charging, once they were locked in would be massive.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andrew G said:

Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman 

You better hope your tourney is before july cuz there isnt a snow balls chance in the warp the Fungoid is staying at 90. 110 is probably what he will be if not 120pts based on all the caster increases im seeing

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2