AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

4 hours ago, mikethefish said:

As I mentioned, I think it's a sure thing for an endless spell.  A giant ectoplasm foot just screams "Orruk" to me

Possibly.  It is a pretty iconic Greenskin spell and has been in both Fantasy and 40k in various editions.   I would love an endless spell model for it - but I can also see them making it a spell in the lore.  Either way I am ok with it.

If we’re going to get a spell lore, then we need more than one wizard in the faction. Unless they create some chants, simmilar to prayers that the warchanter could use. 

id like to see a kit that could build a megaboss or a shaman on a gore grunta. 

I imagine the terrain piece will be some sort of giant Waaagh banner or totem.  Something that pulses WAAAHHH energy to the surrounding orcs. If it was also mobile, and you could drag it across the battlefield on the back of some massive beast, , so much the better

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Gothmaug said:

I imagine the terrain piece will be some sort of giant Waaagh banner or totem.  Something that pulses WAAAHHH energy to the surrounding orcs. If it was also mobile, and you could drag it across the battlefield on the back of some massive beast, , so much the better

Icon of Gork (or was it Mork?) fluffwise Orks always build some kind of an Icon of their god on plundered or destroyed city’s in the old world.

Could be somewhat cool to see it back

4 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

Possibly.  It is a pretty iconic Greenskin spell and has been in both Fantasy and 40k in various editions.   I would love an endless spell model for it - but I can also see them making it a spell in the lore.  Either way I am ok with it.

It's a lot more than possible.  It's probable.

Think about it - many of the classic WHB spells that described a physical object manifesting, have been made into Endless Spells - Purple Sun, Comet of Cassedora, etc.  The Foot of Gork is a classic, well-loved spell that has always been about a physical magical object materializing and smashing stuff.  I mean the spell had it's own foot-shaped template in many editions of the game.  Of COURSE the devs are going to translate it into an endless spell.  

In many ways, Foot was the proto-endless spell.

Edited by mikethefish
  • Like 3

One other thing to bear in mind - they might raid the Destruction range and tag it on to Ironjawz, like they did with the Gitmob Shaman -> Madcap Shaman (or Ardboyz for that matter).

Obviously Greenskinz don't fit in with Ironjawz aesthetically, but nor does the Gitmob Shaman look in the slightest way like a fitting part of the Gloomspite army.

If they did do this, the main / only way I can see it happening would be Greenskinz hangers-on.  Proper chaff that can be used as cannon fodder, maybe even summonable (coming on a board edge, drawn by the Call of the Waaagh!).

Whaddya reckon?  Am I just trying to cling on to hope, when all hope is gone?

17 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

One other thing to bear in mind - they might raid the Destruction range and tag it on to Ironjawz, like they did with the Gitmob Shaman -> Madcap Shaman (or Ardboyz for that matter).

Obviously Greenskinz don't fit in with Ironjawz aesthetically, but nor does the Gitmob Shaman look in the slightest way like a fitting part of the Gloomspite army.

If they did do this, the main / only way I can see it happening would be Greenskinz hangers-on.  Proper chaff that can be used as cannon fodder, maybe even summonable (coming on a board edge, drawn by the Call of the Waaagh!).

Whaddya reckon?  Am I just trying to cling on to hope, when all hope is gone?

I suspect they are selling gitmob stock off and when it runs out they will stop selling it.

That would be pretty rough...proactively sell people the Gitmob Shaman when they know it to be obsolete junk, then drop a new model in the forthcoming box with the Trees once they've dumped the old stock on the unsuspecting public.

That would be completely immoral.

You're probably right.

Edited by PlasticCraic
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

That would be pretty rough...proactively sell people the Gitmob Shaman when they know it to be obsolete junk, then drop a new model in the forthcoming box with the Trees once they've dumped the old stock on the unsuspecting public.

That would be completely immoral.

You're probably right.

As long as the gitmob shaman is allowed to use the madcap warscroll, which it is, you're still getting a nice model which fills the role it's fit for.

I honestly don't expect to see a new madcap in the box, with the pair still being made and the fungoid being available. 

Actually the reason the madcap/fungoid are so close in points despite the fungoid being clearly better could be to move towards it as the main moonclan wizard.

Yeah...bit of a weird way of doing it. 

Fungoid has to live with the nerf of not taking an Allegiance artefact, just so they could keep an extra Warscroll in there for a pair of old models that don't even come with round bases. 

Personally, I'd rather that they did away with the Madcap altogether and let the Fungoid properly enjoy his place in the army, or else give people a better reason to take the Madcap (e.g. a wider points differential).  But it is what it is.

@Malakree you are probably right about the Shaman not being in the new box btw, I'm just bitter because I'm one of the small number of people who was sad to see the classic Greenskinz squatted, and one of the larger number who thought it could have been handled a lot better.  Gone but not forgotten.

What do you reckon will be in there from Gloomspite's perspective - existing models only?  They usually do splash a new Hero into these things, but it would be weird timing when the book has just come out.

My biggest hope is some storyline development and preferably with Black Library support - that is well overdue.

1 minute ago, PlasticCraic said:

@Malakree you are probably right about the Shaman not being in the new box btw, I'm just bitter because I'm one of the small number of people who was sad to see the classic Greenskinz squatted, and one of the larger number who thought it could have been handled a lot better.  Gone but not forgotten.

What do you reckon will be in there from Gloomspite's perspective - existing models only?  They usually do splash a new Hero into these things, but it would be weird timing when the book has just come out.

My biggest hope is some storyline development and preferably with Black Library support - that is well overdue.

I thought the general consensus that there would be a new sculpt for the Loonboss riding a Cave Squig. 

With regards to Greenskins, Aardboys are not "proppa" Ironjaws in the lore but sort of acceptable to Brutes and Megabosses, etc.  I've always assumed that Aardboys still went recruiting to get the best of the Greenskins to replace losses as they did in the old world.  If so, it's fairly easy to bring Greenskins in as a sort of recruit unit - any that survive get to become an Aardboy.  Might give me a reason to put 90 of them on rounds :) 

• Like 1

I never understood the belief the ironjawz wouldn’t have greenskinz around. I thought the general lore was orks always keep growing, the more battles, the bigger they get, and they force their way up the ranks towards megaboss. Meanwhile there are always hordes of greenskinz attracted to the battles, and they constantly scavenge aardboys armor and fill the lower ranks. Hence the endless hordes of ironjawz.

Gordraak isn’t an idiot, and there’s certainly uses on the battlefield for a bunch of greenskinz archers or perhaps some grot artillery as support units for the main ironjawz force. Kind of hard to conquer an enemies fortress without siege weaponry after all.

Anyhow we’ll have to wait and see what GW decides, hopefully ironjawz get more than a few small crumbs tossed their way

• Like 4

I managed 2 games at adepticon.  I'm going to do one three game tournament next month and then the ladz are goin on the shelf.

I was so thrilled to get top 16 for painting and hope that I did well to represent destruction for painting.   Really happy.  Played five great games.   Please take a look here at the best armies.
https://aosshorts.com/adepticon-2019-champs-wrap-up/

My first game was against Richie's emerald knights who is also in the top 16 and my second was against Tony's flesh eaters who is also in the top 16.  Nothing is better in this game than two beautiful armies on the table and adepticon is the place to get it.

The flying thermalrider megaboss (Megaboss Blackaxe Mother Father) was so ****** fun I am never going without him again.  One game he moved 24 inches and charged ten dryads and turned them to firewood.  I have purchased Archaon's cloak from ebay to put on the flying megaboss.

• Like 6

I knew the girmob grots had been pulled from the webstore, but it seems all the standard greenskinz orks were pulled as well. Does this mean my beloved orruk warboss with banner is not long for this world?  The earliest this could occur is generals handbook 2019, correct?

5 minutes ago, Gothmaug said:

I knew the girmob grots had been pulled from the webstore, but it seems all the standard greenskinz orks were pulled as well. Does this mean my beloved orruk warboss with banner is not long for this world?  The earliest this could occur is generals handbook 2019, correct?

Probably and Yes.

Never know we might get wave 2 with new models and have the Bannerboss become an Ardboy character.

I've played a few games against my buddy who plays gloomspite gitz.  Beyond the first game in which I roasted him, he has beat me a few times. (1 time I played nighthaunt).  He now has 2k points, so we are going to play that soon.  I am having trouble coming up with a list that I think can compete with him.  The fanatics alone are really what scares me.  (Hand of gork is scary too, made me start to look at the wierdnob again for unbind potential...)

I have enough to do any ironjawz build. What would you guys recommend I try?

I am thinking a 3 stack of gore-gruntas with a gorefist to try and bait the fanatics out early, they may take out a unit or 2 of gore gruntas but I could then retaliate with the rest of my army.  This could hold them back so I could also grab objectives.  I may be able to reach other juicy targets...but that is a big maybe.

Otherwise a gordrakk build is something I am thinking...but neither really seems like a good chance.

I'd like to bring a few wizards to try and stop his casting, he is usually bringing at least 2 wizards, probably more now since he has picked up gobapalooza.  But trying to build vs. the fanatics makes it more difficult to build against the wizards I feel.

Ironjawz is the only thing I have 2k or more of.

Edited by Superninja

17 hours ago, tolstedt said:

I managed 2 games at adepticon.  I'm going to do one three game tournament next month and then the ladz are goin on the shelf.

I was so thrilled to get top 16 for painting and hope that I did well to represent destruction for painting.   Really happy.  Played five great games.   Please take a look here at the best armies.
https://aosshorts.com/adepticon-2019-champs-wrap-up/

My first game was against Richie's emerald knights who is also in the top 16 and my second was against Tony's flesh eaters who is also in the top 16.  Nothing is better in this game than two beautiful armies on the table and adepticon is the place to get it.

The flying thermalrider megaboss (Megaboss Blackaxe Mother Father) was so ****** fun I am never going without him again.  One game he moved 24 inches and charged ten dryads and turned them to firewood.  I have purchased Archaon's cloak from ebay to put on the flying megaboss.

I saw pics of your game against Tony, two very pretty armies for sure. You have more of yours?

33 minutes ago, Mikelomba said:

Hello guyz so.. is this list still legal?

https://thehonestwargamer.com/aos-list-rundowns/da-best-ironjawz/#Warchanter

I ask becausenof the evilsunz batallion. Im new to orkz

It looks legal to me!

not sure what the problem is with the  battailon, since it’s apart of the Ironjaws armie and if I’m not mistaken still available to use 

• Like 1

I'd be fine with standard Greenskinz being fused into Ironjawz . 

As is IJ are currently a mid-elite army. You can do a 1200 force of just under  30 models by focusing on Brutes and Gruntas. And at 62 models with Ardboyz. Throw in ordinary Greenskinz though as your chaff and suddenly you can REALLY swarm your foes. 

Go with Greenskin Warriors, Bowmen, Boar Riders and Warboss.

Bowmen can be made with Bonesplitter bitz, Boar Riders can open up a all mounted list with a Grunta Megaboss and the Warboss can buff non Brute/Grunta units and also do his Waaagh.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, newsun said:

I saw pics of your game against Tony, two very pretty armies for sure. You have more of yours?

Just the ones from the aos shorts post.  I think jimbo took those pictures and they are on twitter.  I don't have a quality photo camera, but maybe someday.