AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Did not play against skaven yet, but they look really powerful. So it's gonna be a bad matchup, but probably not as much as Death as he can't bring back model. One of the advantage you have is i don't think he have low-drop build, and most of his shooting is 27'' threath range. 

So i would say the most important things let him go first and protect you character by putting them 28'' or more, and hope for double turn in round 2 or 3. If you can clean the screen and charge his character you're probably gonna win. 

The best army for this strategy would probably be a gorefist going second. If you don't have enough Pig, then you can try  wierdfist (again going second and put Weirnob out of range) if you can snipe the seer and/or the enginneer, then he'll loose most of his efficiency and it should win the attrition war after that. I'm not sure an ironfist is any good against skaven, as you probably want more Pig anyway (fastest and skaven have low save) so Gorefist would be just strictly better.

Also avoid the vermin lord (the one with 4+ reroll 5++) he is too tanky. Focus on what you can kill :)

Quicksilver sword is also good against them as they are chaos. You get about 38% of one shooting their 5 wound character, might to worth the 20 pts

good luck!

• Like 4

Thank you for the reply Broch, I've first seen it now.

The game went pretty well, ended up with a draw in shifting objectives and think I would have gotten a V if rat boy hadn't gotten the doubble turn on turn 5. But a really fun game with total mayhem!

He brought two verminlords, the ninja one and the tanky one you also mentioned, 2x3 storfiends, grey seer, master warlock(?) 2x20 rats, 40 rats and two of their new endless spells, wich were a real pain in the ass!

I had

cabbage boss, footboss, wierdnob, 2 chanters, 3 stone trolls, 10 brutes, 6 pigs, 10 ard boys and an ironfist.

• Like 1

For Adepticon:

Allegiance: Ironjawz
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Megaboss Rustfoot on Maw-Krusha (440)
- General
- Choppa and Rip-tooth fist
- Trait: Brutish Cunning 
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales 
Orruk Megaboss Blackaxe Mother Father(140)
- Artefact: Thermalrider Cloak 
Orruk Warchanter Grizznutter(80)
- Artefact: The Golden Toof 
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman Waaaghdaddy(120)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman Borlax Bonetaker(90)

Battleline

Units
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
- Pig-iron Choppas

Battalions
Ironfist (180)
Ironsunz (120)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 122

On 3/17/2019 at 8:23 PM, Skeekrit said:

I think we could make Gitz into a 3-2 or 4-1 army with practice. @Malakree is correct - I made lots of mistakes at Sheffield (including the fluff of 2 Gargants) - and then mistakes in some of the games at GW Heat 1. I do have the advantage of having played a Grot horde army for a very long time, so I know what most things can do, but the fiddly bit went wrong a few times. I think we will need kind draws to get back to @Donal's 5-0 standard!

And I do agree that Skaven seem very good, but I can only play with one alliance due to time constraints otherwise I get very confused. And I love destruction... or Grots!

Also edit: Sorry, this is the Ironjawz chat... @Malakreeconfused me :)

I'd easily be able to go 4-1 at a tournament with Gits. Just not sure I can do the debuffing horde anymore. For my soul. Fed up with never finishing a game early.

Thinking a monster mash could be a fun way to go, very tempted to go back to mixed destruction and including a frostlord again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Donal said:

I'd easily be able to go 4-1 at a tournament with Gits. Just not sure I can do the debuffing horde anymore. For my soul. Fed up with never finishing a game early.

Thinking a monster mash could be a fun way to go, very tempted to go back to mixed destruction and including a frostlord again.

Go Go Troggs. Troggboss with Ghyrstrike+Mighty Blow, it's utter filth!

• Like 1

So any guesses as to the non-chaos war bands slated for the new Warcry skirmish game? Based on today’s adeptican preview there are three Destruction-ish factions. One looks like a moon (guessing gloomspite), one looks like a helmeted orc face, and the last looks like a lower jaw made up of 4 teeth. 

Im guessing we’ll get one Ork (ironjaw) themed war band, and perhaps an ogre (gutbuster) themed band. Though I guess that lower jaw could also allude to bonesplitterz. 

Looks like all new models, wonder if we’ll get rules to use the war and in AOS, like the Nightvault war bands?

9 minutes ago, Gothmaug said:

So any guesses as to the non-chaos war bands slated for the new Warcry skirmish game? Based on today’s adeptican preview there are three Destruction-ish factions. One looks like a moon (guessing gloomspite), one looks like a helmeted orc face, and the last looks like a lower jaw made up of 4 teeth. 

Im guessing we’ll get one Ork (ironjaw) themed war band, and perhaps an ogre (gutbuster) themed band. Though I guess that lower jaw could also allude to bonesplitterz. 

Looks like all new models, wonder if we’ll get rules to use the war and in AOS, like the Nightvault war bands?

From what I read, the 6 Chaos warbands are the one that get new models but the 9 non chaos one are warband that are made out of existing models (like Killteam). So I am assuming that the starter set has core rules that allow you to make an Ironjawz warband out of your existing collection of Ardboys and Brutes

Oh well, I was hoping we’d see some new models to provide a bit more variety on the battlefield. With no mention of a new ironjawz battletomb at adepticon, in the first half of the year, I guess I’ll have to pray for an Orktober release.

GW  was  nice to 40k orks last October, here’s hoping AOS gets some Ork love this orktober

Top left, bonesplitterz.

Bottom left gloomspite.

Bottom mid right, ironjawz.

Edit: Also daughters of khaine, soul blight, stormcast. Not sure on the right hand death one, maybe nighthaunt?

Bottom right looks new to me?

Edited by Malakree

The Fyreslayers reveal really makes me think that Ironjawz is going to simply get a book, endless spells, and a terrain piece - but no new models.  It could be that they surprise us with actual new models, but Fyreslayers had a serious interest silhouette issue they should have resolved and appear to have left.  I get the feeling that my hunch about splitting Ironjawz up by unit armament (and possibly turning a special weapon model into another hero) might be the route they go.

5 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

The Fyreslayers reveal really makes me think that Ironjawz is going to simply get a book, endless spells, and a terrain piece - but no new models.  It could be that they surprise us with actual new models, but Fyreslayers had a serious interest silhouette issue they should have resolved and appear to have left.  I get the feeling that my hunch about splitting Ironjawz up by unit armament (and possibly turning a special weapon model into another hero) might be the route they go.

I'm guessing that the Duardin release will be saved for dispossessed. On Ironjawz I'm not sure, they have remained the most popular destruction army at tournaments for as long as I've been playing. Combine that with the very limited range and we might get more.

It would be interesting to see if any of the new books are as limited on range as Ironjawz are. In that regard we are easily the most limited range remaining, with no other range being as limited as the Ironjawz range.

• Fyreslayers has 3 Units and 10 heroes,
  • FEC has 5 Units (With the new book) and 7+1 Heroes.
  • Sylvaneth has 5 Units and 6 Leaders
  • Dispossessed has 7 Units and 3 Leaders
  • Gutbusters has 9 Units and 3 Leaders
  • Ironjawz has 3 Battleline and 5 Leaders

I think the big indicator will actually be in the fyreslayers book. If they split up the Vulkite Berserkers into different weapon options then there is a strong chance they will do the same with Ironjawz. If not I would expect something for Ironjawz. 

Guessing again, Dispossesed, Ironjawz and Gutbusters are the 3 round 2 releases after Slaanesh. Don't quote me on it ;) 

8 hours ago, Malakree said:

I think the big indicator will actually be in the fyreslayers book. If they split up the Vulkite Berserkers into different weapon options then there is a strong chance they will do the same with Ironjawz. If not I would expect something for Ironjawz. 

I'm not so sure that will be a great indicator.  I can see them possibly not splitting up Vulkite Berserkers simply because Fyreslayers have a unit silhouette issue and that would compound the issue rather than help alleviate it.  But on the other hand, it would give them increased unit options and I think Fyreslayers do need more unit variety in the same way that Ironjawz do.

I feel stronger about my suspicion now just due to the preview they have shown, the release pattern since Beasts of Chaos, and the general release pattern for 40k over the last year.  40k put an emphasis on getting the books updated - even if that meant armies got 0 new releases.  They did not even have endless spells or terrain to give those armies.  They simply dropped a whole lot of books.  The teams working on both games are different, but that was a sensible release plan for 40k that worked.  And if you look at what 40k is doing now they are starting to reissue books and add in new units.  I don't think we will never see new models for Fyreslayers or Ironjawz, but I get the distinct impression that the main driver right now is simply to get as many books as possible into an updated state. 

I expect that they are going to rapid fire release as many books as they can.  If they can do a similar feat for AoS as they did with 40k and get all of the books released, even if it means many factions do not get any new units, then they will be well positioned for doing another pass at the armies later on and adding some new units or resculpting some older ones.  As a long-time Chaos & Orks player,  I will admit that I was a bit saddened to when the 8th edition Chaos book dropped and there were no new models.  But I am also quite happy with the new model release wave as I had put any new purchases for that army on hold for 5 or so years now as I have been waiting for resculpts.  In a similar fashion, I will happily take a book-only release for Bonesplitterz & Ironjawz if it updates their play style and if GW follows it up in a year by expanding those ranges.

Honestly, I'd be happy with just that basic treatment for Ironjawz. A book, terrain piece and spells would do a lot to spice things up for the limited, but quite functional, range.

Destruction in general seems quite in theme with the idea of a terrain piece. Where some of the more recent ideas coming out don't make a ton of sense to pop up on the battlefield (ie; the FEC Throne or FS Forge), destruction doesn't build things. I'm fairly confident what we will get will be something that makes sense to move with the Waaghs, given the transient nature of orruks. Not to mention spells will be a good send. Big issue I have thematically is seeing things like the death magic that is so out of theme with the orruk army... Doesn't make a whole let of sense to use, ect.

More then anything... just bring on the lore. I feel like destruction in general just has no place at the table. They get used as a token third party to complicate things for the other big three... never any fleshing out of them as a people. Ogor, Orruk and grot alike. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Personally, I won't be happy with just the basic treatment. (book/terrain/endless)

A new book will be good news. 

Terrain will be decent news.

Endless spells will be ok news, but with our caster...it will be reduced to less than ok news.   (He has 2 spells already)  Without another caster or new units...meh.

We need more units.  More options.

Honestly, it would be quite easy to give us more.  The ideas are many for what you could add to us.  The fact that we are in a beast laden realm give us so many options.  Stormcast ride/use more beasts than we do...  Factory contraints are one thing.  But it isn't a good enough excuse.  We are the greenskin faction. We are the face of destruction....or should be.

• LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, Superninja said:

Endless spells will be ok news, but with our caster...it will be reduced to less than ok news.   (He has 2 spells already)

It is likely that the rules for the Weirdnob will change.  I highly doubt that he will keep both of the spells on his warscroll.  I can’t think of any modern battletome that has a caster with multiple spells aside from Nagash.

Most likely Foot of Gork will be moved off the weirdnob scroll and put into an Ironjawz spell lore.

1 hour ago, Superninja said:

Personally, I won't be happy with just the basic treatment. (book/terrain/endless)

A new book will be good news. 

Terrain will be decent news.

Endless spells will be ok news, but with our caster...it will be reduced to less than ok news.   (He has 2 spells already)  Without another caster or new units...meh.

You get that the Shaman's two spells will likely change, right?  That Warscroll was made in AoS's infancy.  Plus Foot of Gork would make a far too awesome Endless Spell, just to let it languish in relative obscurity on the Shaman's card.