AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

How's everyone's experience been so far with reinforced units of Ardboyz? Are you finding it's worth it for units of 10-15? 

The Rally on 4+ ability is cool, but I'm struggling to justify only 7 boyz in combat realistically instead of just running them as units of 5. Especially with 4+/3+. That said, maybe I'm missing something. 

Would love some opinions on this! 

Their utility in 5s is inarguable at the current price.

15s are very reliant on buffs, especially the warchanter, to do work. They're okay but as always positioning is a huge hassle and you have to get good at saw-toothing them for it to be worth it imo. I rarely get a chance to do a big 4+ rally, I'd like it more if you could take a truly massive 30 man block.

50 minutes ago, dzATL said:

The Rally on 4+ ability is cool, but I'm struggling to justify only 7 boyz in combat realistically instead of just running them as units of 5. Especially with 4+/3+. That said, maybe I'm missing something. 

I use a squad of 10 in BW. It's fine. For the rally a almost never use the 4+ power, i usually use the triple CP from maw krusha anyway.

2 hours ago, dzATL said:

How's everyone's experience been so far with reinforced units of Ardboyz? Are you finding it's worth it for units of 10-15? 

Would love some opinions on this! 

I find the 12" bubble around the WC is just way to restrictive. It limits positioning of your WC way to much and you'd much rather use the reinforce on a brute unit anyway. Personally I've stopped using them in anything above 5s.

• 1 month later...

How do you guys load out your Maw Krusha? Do you go Destroyer or Armor of Gork?

And what about the command trait? I have tried Mega Bossy in a non-Alpha list and found it not so useful. Next thing I would try would be Hulking Brute but I feel like relying on the Stomp monster action is really restrictive. I could actually waste it. For example, I cannot use Destructive Bulk against a monster, so it's wasted there. 

What would be your advice on a good load-out for a cagey list?

EDIT: Just noticed that Hulking Brute is not reliant on the Stomp monster action. I guess it's much better than I thought.

Edited by Jabbuk

• 1 month later...

So i've played a first test game with the new rule. Some really weird spot for IJ units.

- Gore gruntas are pretty much the same. You can slam them in Bounty hunter to oblitarate ennemies GV units.

- Ardboys: probably still ok as screen, but there survival chance drop drastically against bounty hunter. At least you can put them in the 3 models bataillion, so the become decent to contest objectives. Pack of 15 can also be considered du to reach bonus.

- Brutes are in a really tough spot. It's already a high cost unit per life and you face the threat of taking double damage. Also they already had access to a 2'' reach weapon anyway.

So this seem to leave 2 options: 

Either you go for Krusha(s) + Gruntas bloodtooth agressive list and ignore GV units (with maybe gruntas in bounty hunter). I didn't honestly get the feel that using GV units was mandatory (some battleplan even give bonus point when a GV die)

or you gamble and use Brutes and Ardboys and hope bounty hunter is not too played.

I guess the shadespire band can see a bit more play as screen too to deny GV kills.

• Like 1

I fought against the new Nighthaunt Battletome tonight. 

He ran Black Coach, Lady Olynder, Spirit Torment, Krulghast Cruciator, Dreadblade Harrow, Cairn Wraith, 2 msu Chain Rasp unit and 1 3 man unit of spirit host, 1 unit of Chain Ghasts and a Mortalist Terminexus from my memory.

Pretty much Nighthaunt have 3x the tools of Warclans and you have be incredibly good at Warclans to beat them.

Massive debuff stacking from enemy hero auras and charging. Massive buffs and auras from heroes and the battle traits. Mortal wounds shitting everywhere. End of the battle round. From charges. Also felt like just ****** because sometimes. Denies Inspiring Presence just because. Fairly sturdy saves like 4+ and often 4-5+ ward on top of that.

Incredible survivability. Incredible damage output. Massive debuffing, moderate buffing. Denies crucial CP. powerful magic and casting. They just have everything. All flying. High movement speed. A tangible amount of shooting.

My Megaboss on Maw-krusha was dropped to 1 wound due to clever piling in and activations by my opponent. Two units of gore Gruntas were wiped. My Megaboss on foot died as well. This was after I got in a double smashing and bashing by killing his final spirit host ghost and Reikinor then did two wounds to the Black Coach. The Black Coach feels broken, but I’m sure the strategy should/would have been to go after his back line such as lady Olynder etc but it has such a big base and is so fast and yet does so much damage and yet is insanely tanky….

Oh yeah fun fact Nighthaunt also have -1 to damage somehow from something which invalidates the Warchanter so that’s fun.

I felt like all of the tools that make my army strong were dismantled in front of me and thrown back in my face x3. I used the Bloodtoofs battle trait and oh whoops guess what he can retreat and still charge so I can’t tie anything up, etc

I give +1 to hit from my Brutes attacking high wound people or with Warchanters Killa Beat? No worries he’s got -1 to hit all over the place. 

I cast a mad lad 12 to get off Bash ‘Em Ladz? It’s no problem because he can get -1 to wound no problems. 

I have a smattering of 6+ ward saves? His whole army is like 5+ which can be improved to 4+ wards on top of already decent saves, unlike Soulblight which has a 6+ can’t be improved typically and have dog ****** saves except for the Vampire Heroes. 

I get +1 to damage? No worries he takes that away too. 

Then they can stack -1 save and buff himself up and you can’t do anything about it and you just die.

Left a pretty bad taste in my mouth despite my opponent not running cheese (he ran emerald host) and being an awesome guy. The book itself just gives an anti-fun experience because they just take all your tools away and then do them against you but better. 

Unfortunately, having the first book in the edition cycle (and a rather average book at best) means this is just how it's going to be as time goes on and more armies get books. I've never played any edition or season of any GW game that didn't have at least a little creep, and usually it's closer to a lot. 

Nighthaunts have a 10/10 book for sure, expect to be punching up against them for the foreseeable future and to add them to the list of uphill matchups you expect to lose. It could be worse though... could be playing Fyreslayers 😛

• Like 1

Nighthaunt is probably the worst matchup for Ironjawz by quite a margin. This is not true for other Warclan army. Bonesplitterz have very good tools against them (Wurgog and saturation of rend 0 attack). not quite sure about Kruleboyz but they have shooting / mortal wound output, and some trick with their coup.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say you definitely want some amount of 'ardboyz and brutes, the only easy t1 BT requires having a GV unit, plus you might want something that can contest the proving ground.
You might not need to bring a lot of them, but I wouldn't leave home without at least one or two GV units. If you're worried about bounty hunters just run them MSU so BH will be overkill.
Hand of gork is worth considering as well, since being able to warp a GV unit onto the proving ground is a neat trick for stealing objectives.

Hi team! I’m entering into 64 player tournament in a few weeks and I’m stuck on 2 lists, wanted to get your thoughts on.  Any and all opinions welcome! 

and this will be my first tournament, so tips for that are also welcome  

Much love!

Allegiance: Ironjawz
- Warclan: Bloodtoofs
- Mortal Realm: Ghur
- Grand Strategy: Waaagh!
- Triumphs: 

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (480)*
- Boss Choppa and Rip-tooth fist
- Artefact: Destroyer  
- Mount Trait: Fast 'Un
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (90)*
- Lore of the Weird: Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork
Orruk Warchanter (115)*
- Warbeat: Get 'Em Beat
Orruk Warchanter (115)*
- Warbeat: Fixin' Beat
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (480)
- General
- Boss Choppa and Rip-tooth fist
- Command Trait: Master of Magic  
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
- Lore of the Weird: Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork

Battleline
3 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (170)***
- Jagged Gore-hackas
- Jagged Gore-hackas
- Jagged Gore-hackas
5 x Orruk Ardboys (85)**
5 x Orruk Ardboys (85)**

Core Battalions
*Command Entourage - Magnificent
**Expert Conquerors
***Bounty Hunters

Total: 1960 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 119
Drops: 10

or

Allegiance: Ironjawz
- Warclan: Bloodtoofs
- Mortal Realm: Ghur
- Grand Strategy: Waaagh!
- Triumphs: Bloodthirsty

Leaders
Gordrakk the Fist of Gork (540)
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (480)*
- Boss Choppa and Rip-tooth fist
- Artefact: Destroyer 
- Mount Trait: Fast 'Un
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (90)*
- General
- Command Trait: Master of Magic 
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
- Lore of the Weird: Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork
Orruk Warchanter (115)*
- Warbeat: Fixin' Beat
Orruk Warchanter (115)*
- Warbeat: Get 'Em Beat

Battleline
3 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (170)**
- Jagged Gore-hackas
- Jagged Gore-hackas
- Jagged Gore-hackas

5 x Orruk Ardboys (85)

Endless Spells & Invocations
Quicksilver Swords (60)

Core Battalions
*Command Entourage - Magnificent
**Bounty Hunters

Additional Enhancements
Artefact

Total: 1990 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 109
Drops: 9

The 2nd list I feel has higher output. It also has  quicksilver swords for Gotrek or any other nurgle. It has heaps mortal wounds too. It also has Goddrak, which I think is ok when I already have a fast’un destroyer. 

The first list I feel is better for objective play. 2 ardboys and 2 spell casters for more reliability. 

im completely torn. 

Either way, all your opinions are welcome!

1 hour ago, Icetea said:

The 2nd list I feel has higher output. It also has  quicksilver swords for Gotrek or any other nurgle. It has heaps mortal wounds too. It also has Goddrak, which I think is ok when I already have a fast’un destroyer. 

Honestly Big G is strictly worse than a standard MK. Unless you are playing him for fluff reasons swap him out.

27 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Honestly Big G is strictly worse than a standard MK. Unless you are playing him for fluff reasons swap him out.

Yea I agree for the most part, hence why I’ve never played him. But when you have 2 Mawcrushers, I feel it’s a bit of diminishing returns. If it was only 1 of em, definitely maw-krusha anyday of the week, but 2 of em…idk…the only drawback is the 4+ save.

You’ll have. Shaman to give him mystic shield, and then with AoD, he’ll be a 3+ with a 1 rend protection. With the Mawcrusher, you need to give him AoA to get him onto 2s and 3s where as Big G is inheritantly on 2s, bringing them onto the same save profile. Plus you wouldn’t warchanter buff him, giving you the option to buff 2 pigs instead  

In a meta where nighthaunt roam around, I think the mortals would also be quite handy from Big G and the swords would do work as well. 

again, these are just my thoughts. I would have always gone for double maw-krusha, but revelry my brains been ticking and I think maybe this could work?

Edited by Icetea

16 minutes ago, Icetea said:

again, these are just my thoughts. I would have always gone for double maw-krusha, but revelry my brains been ticking and I think maybe this could work?

If you want to then do it, I played him for 3/4 tournaments just because I wanted to. You just need to be aware that for his points he's not worth losing the 2+ save potential.

2 hours ago, mrteige said:

one thing i am trying out right now with my IJ armies is going from fast un to weird un on my maw-krusha. With all the Purple suns floating around the protection can be really good.

Weird 'un doesn't protect against purple sun. It gives a 4+ ward against wounds or mortal wounds caused by spells and endless spells.
In order for it to work against purple sun it needs to ignore the spell entirely.

9 hours ago, Ganigumo said:

Weird 'un doesn't protect against purple sun. It gives a 4+ ward against wounds or mortal wounds caused by spells and endless spells.
In order for it to work against purple sun it needs to ignore the spell entirely.

It also gives you a 4+ ward against the effect of endless spells so it does work against Purple sun

429228202_Skrmbillede2022-07-21kl_14_34_47.png.20286a6ed77271d51e598ed143274d09.pngWeird ’Un states in the book:

This model has a ward of 4+ against mortal wounds caused by spells and the abilities of endless spells.

So wouldnt that cover the effect of the purple sun as worded?

Edited by mrteige

25 minutes ago, mrteige said:

Weird ’Un states in the book:

This model has a ward of 4+ against mortal wounds caused by spells and the abilities of endless spells.

So wouldnt that cover the effect of the purple sun as worded?

The confusion is partially justified, but the answer is in a different place. Section 14.3 of the core rules states that the ward allows you to roll a dice to negate a wound or mortal wound. This means that the correct approach to Weird 'Un is:

This model has a ward of 4+ against mortal wounds: (i) caused by spells and (ii) [caused by] the abilities of endless spells.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Flippy said:

The confusion is partially justified, but the answer is in a different place. Section 14.3 of the core rules states that the ward allows you to roll a dice to negate a wound or mortal wound. This means that the correct approach to Weird 'Un is:

This model has a ward of 4+ against mortal wounds: (i) caused by spells and (ii) [caused by] the abilities of endless spells.

Thx for that answer.