AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

3 minutes ago, Holy_Diver said:

Thanks to new battlescroll I think the trophy for best general is the foot boss.

new battlescroll?

@NauticalSoup honestly i wouldn't mind too much the fact he is more fragile if he could hit harder compare to base maw krusha (something more like an extra rend on his weapon and mount for exemple) or heal damage when he kill model for example.

Edited by broche
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, broche said:

Anyone had any success with Gordrack so far? I hate the fact that he is base 4+, but I do like the fact that he act as an extra general. With the nerf to amulet the Maw krusha have lost a lot of survivability anyway, and i've had some issue with leadership bubble in some games. 

I've used him, he's still bad. Maybe with the new Priority targets rule he's a bit better? Honestly though he's for niche specific circumstances.

1 minute ago, broche said:

did i miss something not aware of this :D 

New PDF punishes you for taking the best units lol, you hand out a few free VPs when they get killed by other units. 

The worst armies get an extra VP thrown on top. It's... a weird new balance lever. Not sure I'm a fan tbh

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, NauticalSoup said:

New PDF punishes you for taking the best units lol, you hand out a few free VPs when they get killed by other units. 

The worst armies get an extra VP thrown on top. It's... a weird new balance lever. Not sure I'm a fan tbh

I'm actually not to against it. killing a bastiladon feels like it should award extra vps with how much of a sod it is. 

It's not the worst balance move they've made but I don't think keeping tabs on yet another vector of ongoing digital pdf releases that adjust units is... ideal. If the units are proving unbalanced maybe you should fix them instead of making the game increasingly patchwork :P

Like if the bastilodon is too good nerf it. No need to reinvent the wheel.

• Like 3

Can anyone relay as reason why Godrakk DOESNT have a 3+ save or even a built-in ward, and is still more expensive than Megaboss on MawKrusha?

it really doesn’t make sense to me. Do we see him possibly getting a change (or equal points) in the future?

• Haha 1

In theory Godrakk has decent mortal wound output and a slightly more flexible command ability. In reality the command ability is pointless outside of big waaagh and his mortal wound output is hot trash as the things it might kill reliably are going to be turned into paste by the mawkrusha anyway.

I struggle to find a niche use for him in any list where i don't just think a regular cheaper krusha is a better option. 

I like the idea of the new VP system but its gone about it a bit backwards - the weak armies aren't likely to kill the big/good things to start with and i dont think they are losing by 1-2 vps. That said it is an innovation and i think they should be applauded for trying something new. We all know that points are a great balancing tool but we also know that for people to really take/ stop taking particular units they have to get pointed to the extreme whether that is up or down (definitely true for the units that are considered very strong)  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lanoss said:

Can anyone relay as reason why Godrakk DOESNT have a 3+ save or even a built-in ward, and is still more expensive than Megaboss on MawKrusha?

it really doesn’t make sense to me. Do we see him possibly getting a change (or equal points) in the future?

The idea is that the 3+ comes from the Rip-tooth fist which big G doesn't have.

1 hour ago, Underworld40k said:

In theory Godrakk has decent mortal wound output and a slightly more flexible command ability. In reality the command ability is pointless outside of big waaagh and his mortal wound output is hot trash as the things it might kill reliably are going to be turned into paste by the mawkrusha anyway.

I struggle to find a niche use for him in any list where i don't just think a regular cheaper krusha is a better option. 

The one use I've found is that I run him in big waaagh and take a warchanter as my general with arcane tome/master of magic. Big G always being a general lets me have a more squishy general without having the massive risks normally associated with that.

1 hour ago, Underworld40k said:

I like the idea of the new VP system but its gone about it a bit backwards - the weak armies aren't likely to kill the big/good things to start with and i dont think they are losing by 1-2 vps. That said it is an innovation and i think they should be applauded for trying something new. We all know that points are a great balancing tool but we also know that for people to really take/ stop taking particular units they have to get pointed to the extreme whether that is up or down (definitely true for the units that are considered very strong)  

Ironically actually a minor buff to Big G since not only does he not give out the VP but he can also collect them, since you have to kill it with a none priority target to collect the extra VP. This can potentially swing very close games.

I do wish Kunnin was for all Heroes and Smasha was for monster though, that would be such a massive buff it's unreal.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2022 at 10:42 PM, Lanoss said:

I think the extra cost is less relevant than before (diff have been like 120 in past edition). it basically cost you a triumph (well triumph is very good you'll say and you would be right) but he do does significant more damage.

Usually, in single Krusha list, you'll fall down under those 3 scenario

1. Krusha end the game mostly unscathed (opponents ignore it)

2. Krusha get killed pretty bad by shooting / mortal / high melee spike

3. Krusha barely cling to life and grind the board till the end of the game

Personally, i've rarely experience scenario 3. However when the amulet was a 5++ i found that a most army didn't have the power to one-shot him (so they would spend too much ressource over 2 turn to finish him, allowing him to heal ect.)

So i think with Gordrack you want to use it in a list that will favor scenario 1. A list i have that i currently have an hesitation is something like this:

Allegiance: Ironjawz
- Warclan: Ironsunz
- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:
Gordrakk the Fist of Gork (540)
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
- Command Trait: Master of Magic
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
- Lore of the Weird: Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork
Orruk Warchanter (115)
Orruk Warchanter (115)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (170)
- Reinforced x 1
10 x Orruk Ardboys (170)
- Reinforced x 1
5 x Orruk Brutes (160)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
6 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (340)
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Reinforced x 1
3 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (170)
- Pig-iron Choppas
4 x Ironskull's Boyz (80)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 3 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 147
Drops: 10

I've found that the extra general was actually worth something (allow you to split your force and keep 2 18'' bubble for CP). Using Fast'un and Ironsunz allow you to limit Gordrack exposure to threat while picking his battle. And army that can down him can bring down a maw krusha as well, leaving you with no general for the rest of the game. 

Edited by broche

On 3/16/2022 at 10:09 AM, broche said:

I've found that the extra general was actually worth something (allow you to split your force and keep 2 18'' bubble for CP). Using Fast'un and Ironsunz allow you to limit Gordrack exposure to threat while picking his battle. And army that can down him can bring down a maw krusha as well, leaving you with no general for the rest of the game. 

I thought named characters weren't allowed to take mount traits. Has that changed in the rules?

36 minutes ago, Jabbuk said:

I thought named characters weren't allowed to take mount traits. Has that changed in the rules?

ohhh i didn't know, is this in the FAQ?

if you're right then it's total ****** :D

Edited by broche

18 hours ago, broche said:

ohhh i didn't know, is this in the FAQ?

if you're right then it's total ****** :D

So at 27.3 of the Core Rules Book, it says that enhancements cannot be given to Unique characters (27.3.1). Mount Trait is listed in the enhancement and is thus considered, an enhancement. As of today Gordrakk has the Unique keyword on his warscroll in the app. 

I would tend to think he cannot have any sort of enhancement on him.

Edited by Jabbuk
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Jabbuk said:

So at 27.3 of the Core Rules Book, it says that enhancements cannot be given to Unique characters (27.3.1). Mount Trait is listed in the enhancement and is thus considered, an enhancement. As of today Gordrakk has the Unique keyword on his warscroll in the app. 

I would tend to think he cannot have any sort of enhancement on him.

Yes this is it, you cannot give him a mount trait. @broche

Edited by Malakree
  • Thanks 1

On 3/16/2022 at 2:09 PM, broche said:

I've found that the extra general was actually worth something (allow you to split your force and keep 2 18'' bubble for CP).

Just noticed this comment.

Command abilities can be given wholly within 12" normally.

This extended to 18" for your general and units with the Totem keyword. 

Megabosses and warchanters all have the Totem keyword so big g being a 2nd general is irrelevant.

2 hours ago, broche said:

Good catch on Megaboss. not seeing totem on warchanter tough?

It's not anymore. It was in 2.0 though so that's probably where the confusion is from.

It's sort of a weird change tbh, they're like... exactly what you'd expect the totem keyword to be used for.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, NauticalSoup said:

It's not anymore. It was in 2.0 though so that's probably where the confusion is from.

It's sort of a weird change tbh, they're like... exactly what you'd expect the totem keyword to be used for.

Ahh fair enough, I know the weirdnob didn't have it but yeah if it's not there I missed since it's always had the damn useless keyword since we 2017 lol...

On 2/4/2022 at 4:17 PM, Warbossironteef said:

Hello all,

I'm newer to the pure IJ side of things. I was previously a Spilterz and BigWaagh player. Do you guys have any general advice on how to play a list like the below? Any deployment or general Bloodtoof tactics?

I dont' know if this is better than double Mawkrusha (I only own 1) but going Rogue Idol over 2nd Maw means it's a pure 1 drop and it also gives me just enough points to fit in 15 total pigs.

Allegiance: Ironjawz
- Warclan: Bloodtoofs
- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:
LEADERS
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (480)
- General
- Command Trait: Battle-lust
- Boss Choppa and Rip-tooth fist
- Artefact: Armour of Gork
- Mount Trait: Fast 'Un
Orruk Warchanter (115)
- Warbeat: Get 'Em Beat
Orruk Warchanter (115)
- Warbeat: Fixin' Beat
UNITS
6 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (340)
- Jagged Gore-hackas
3 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (170)
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
BEHEMOTHS
Rogue Idol (430)
TOTAL: 1990/2000

It's strong, fast, hard to screen against. Can probably give a really bad NPE to some other lists.

I am going to run the exact same list at a GT in April. I'll be shocked if I don't go at least 4-1

Terrain and winning the deployment rolloff is going to be huge vs the other 1 drop lists.

I honestly was lazy to do my 13-15th GG's as I went hard into Brutes at the start of 3.0

GG are just better for this list type and the Rogue Idol built-in 5++ ward gives him the survivability to push up into most anything. 20" move doesn't hurt either.

One unit of 6 GG's incase you match-up vs Sons or Kragnos. Or a Bastilidon.

The only real question is Armour of Gork vs Arcane Tome. It's a coin flip and personal preference.

On 3/26/2022 at 3:57 AM, Malakree said:

Just noticed this comment.

Command abilities can be given wholly within 12" normally.

This extended to 18" for your general and units with the Totem keyword. 

Megabosses and warchanters all have the Totem keyword so big g being a 2nd general is irrelevant.

Even leaving aside the Totem thing, having an extra General would still be useful for the extra CP, right?

58 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

Even leaving aside the Totem thing, having an extra General would still be useful for the extra CP, right?

I mean for Big Waaagh it's really important because it means if the general you still get your CP/waaagh points for having general alive.

• Like 1