AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

2 hours ago, ShaneHobbes said:

Out of curiosity has the stock gone up on Armour of Gork on Maw Krusha with the Amulet changes? I've been trying hard to choose between that or the Arcane Tome with Bash 'Em Ladz

Personally I don't like arcane tome on MK, I found they are really squishy without a ward and against a lot of the top tier armies atm you can't cast anything anyway.

I’ve heard it said that Orruks have awful bravery and therefore it is not wise to run a block of 10 Brutes. I’ve also heard as far as weaponization goes the Choppas are best for MSU (5 man squads) and the jagged gore Hackas are best for units of 10+. If bravery is so bad running 10 is a bad idea, is there any room for jagged gore Hackas? 

I’ve got 2 boxes of unbuilt brutes and I’m not sure if I want to run 2 sets of 5 with choppas or 1 set of 10 with jagged gore hackas

9 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

I’ve heard it said that Orruks have awful bravery and therefore it is not wise to run a block of 10 Brutes. I’ve also heard as far as weaponization goes the Choppas are best for MSU (5 man squads) and the jagged gore Hackas are best for units of 10+. If bravery is so bad running 10 is a bad idea, is there any room for jagged gore Hackas? 

I’ve got 2 boxes of unbuilt brutes and I’m not sure if I want to run 2 sets of 5 with choppas or 1 set of 10 with jagged gore hackas

Leave one point for inspiring presence and bravery is a mute point. Especially if running a Mawcrusher and you can issue it 3 times. Mawcrusher is on a big base, with 18 inch reach, I don’t think it’s overly difficult to keep them in range.

You’ll also get more attacks with the jagged gore hackas due to the 2 inch reach and the attacks will be more efficient due to the extra rend. 

A unit of 10 Brutes, buffed with warchanter should wipe almost anything out, which will trigger smashing and bashing a unit of 5 would struggle to comfortably wipe. 

I used to play MSU brutes back in AOS2 for the shaman spell, but now in AOS3, I’ve fallen in love with Goregruntas holding the jagged gorehackas. I get a hard on for the 3+ rend when calling a Waaaagh. Also, the move / charge after combat without issuing a command point has won me atleast 3-4 games, just getting models onto an objectives. 

With that said, I LOVE brutes but haven’t played with em in AOS3. For an additional 20 points I get more mobility with the GGs, mortal wounds on impact (which has been huge for me against stormcast annihilators) and for some reason, tusks and hooves always perform well for me, better than the actual hackas haha. 

Either way, in your case, my preference is the hackas for the reach and rend. 

Hope I’ve given you a different perspective to think about. Again, this is only my opinion, happy to be proven wrong. All about learning!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Icetea said:

Leave one point for inspiring presence and bravery is a mute point. Especially if running a Mawcrusher and you can issue it 3 times. Mawcrusher is on a big base, with 18 inch reach, I don’t think it’s overly difficult to keep them in range.

You’ll also get more attacks with the jagged gore hackas due to the 2 inch reach and the attacks will be more efficient due to the extra rend. 

A unit of 10 Brutes, buffed with warchanter should wipe almost anything out, which will trigger smashing and bashing a unit of 5 would struggle to comfortably wipe. 

I used to play MSU brutes back in AOS2 for the shaman spell, but now in AOS3, I’ve fallen in love with Goregruntas holding the jagged gorehackas. I get a hard on for the 3+ rend when calling a Waaaagh. Also, the move / charge after combat without issuing a command point has won me atleast 3-4 games, just getting models onto an objectives. 

With that said, I LOVE brutes but haven’t played with em in AOS3. For an additional 20 points I get more mobility with the GGs, mortal wounds on impact (which has been huge for me against stormcast annihilators) and for some reason, tusks and hooves always perform well for me, better than the actual hackas haha. 

Either way, in your case, my preference is the hackas for the reach and rend. 

Hope I’ve given you a different perspective to think about. Again, this is only my opinion, happy to be proven wrong. All about learning!

Man, I haven't even gotten to play AOS3 yet. I keep trying to schedule a game but nobody in my group responds, or they are busy. I've just been stuck list building. Fully buffed set of 5 can put some work in, but I reckon so can 10 absolutely buffed. My worry is that it's easy, in my experience in the past, to get 5 brutes into combat no problem. I worry getting 10 into combat will be harder so technically less attacks.

• LOVE IT! 1

11 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

Man, I haven't even gotten to play AOS3 yet. I keep trying to schedule a game but nobody in my group responds, or they are busy. I've just been stuck list building. Fully buffed set of 5 can put some work in, but I reckon so can 10 absolutely buffed. My worry is that it's easy, in my experience in the past, to get 5 brutes into combat no problem. I worry getting 10 into combat will be harder so technically less attacks.

Practice is the only way! Trial and error my friend. Theorycrafting can only take you so far. 

with that said, table top tactics might be a good option. I’ll try that out myself now, takes time to get used to 

20 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

My worry is that it's easy, in my experience in the past, to get 5 brutes into combat no problem. I worry getting 10 into combat will be harder so technically less attacks.

I frequently play units of 10. With the 2" reach you will get most of your attacks in. Just make sure the 1" leader is always front and center. Rend 3 on a Waaagh with violent Fury murders basically anything. I've one shot Nagash, Archeon, Mega (with old amulet). If you can get them within range of Bashem Ladz.... Hit the right targets and they won't recover. 

My play

Mystic shield + violent Fury. Hand of Gork them up the board 12" away. Bashem Ladz then Mighty D the warchanter for the 3+ 3d6 to charge. Waaagh. Unit of 10 Brutes and a cabbage with +1 wound, extra rend, and +1 damage is an absolute blender.

Edited by Chase
  • Like 4

Hey guys!

So my local gaming club is hosting a league that will be ascending in points each quarter. First quarter is 500, then 1000, then 1500, then 2000 respectively. 3 games per quarter and no special named characters allowed so I wont have to deal with any Morathi or Nagash nonsense (MK's are going to shine at 2K!).

I was looking for some help with the 500 point list to start. AoS doesn't really compliment 500 well but it is what it is. This is what I got so far.

Faction: Ironjawz
Sub-Faction: Ironsunz
Grand Strategy: Hold The Line
Triumph: Inspired

Weirdnob Shaman (General)
- Hand of Gork (Teleport)
- Skilled Leader (Command point on a 5+)
- Amulet of Destiny (6+ Ward)

5 Brutes (Ironjawz Fist Battalion)
- Jagged Gore Hakkas
- Gore Choppa
- Boss with Claw

- Jagged Gore Hakkas
- Gore Choppa
- Boss with Claw

5 Ardboyz
- Flag
- Muse
- Boss

Total: 495 Points

For 500 points I think it's a good list, a lot of threats to deal with. I had a practice game against Slaves to Darkness yesterday and wiped his entire army off the table. He played a Daemon Prince, 5 Knights, and a chariot. He didn't play a mage so I had mystic shield up on one of the Brutes for the entire game. Hand of Gork and some good placement allowed me to double charge the prince. Between WAAAGH, battallion bonus, and triumph over 2ish turns the chariot and prince were vaporized and the knights were on their way out.

I'm just wondering if going with Da Choppas with a Warchanter and 2x5 Brutes might be better. List will be short about 50 points and I won't have magic shield, but man that might do some damage. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance! :D

Edited by Baron_Bathory
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Baron_Bathory said:

Hey guys!

So my local gaming club is hosting a league that will be ascending in points each quarter. First quarter is 500, then 1000, then 1500, then 2000 respectively. 3 games per quarter and no special named characters allowed so I wont have to deal with any Morathi or Nagash nonsense (MK's are going to shine at 2K!).

I was looking for some help with the 500 point list to start. AoS doesn't really compliment 500 well but it is what it is. This is what I got so far.

Faction: Ironjawz
Sub-Faction: Ironsunz
Grand Strategy: Hold The Line
Triumph: Inspired

Weirdnob Shaman (General)
- Hand of Gork (Teleport)
- Skilled Leader (Command point on a 5+)
- Amulet of Destiny (6+ Ward)

- Jagged Gore Hakkas
- Gore Choppa
- Boss with Claw

- Jagged Gore Hakkas
- Gore Choppa
- Boss with Claw

5 Ardboyz
- Flag
- Muse
- Boss

Total: 495 Points

For 500 points I think it's a good list, a lot of threats to deal with. I had a practice game against Slaves to Darkness yesterday and wiped his entire army off the table. He played a Daemon Prince, 5 Knights, and a chariot. He didn't play a mage so I had mystic shield up on one of the Brutes for the entire game. Hand of Gork and some good placement allowed me to double charge the prince. Between WAAAGH, battallion bonus, and triumph over 2ish turns the chariot and prince were vaporized and the knights were on their way out.

I'm just wondering if going with Da Choppas with a Warchanter and 2x5 Brutes might be better. List will be short about 50 points and I won't have magic shield, but man that might do some damage. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance! :D

I think you don’t have to not have mystic shield on a Warchanter if you give him Arcane Tome, and he can still have Hand of Gork too. All the perks of a Weirdknob and a Warchanter in 1. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

I think you don’t have to not have mystic shield on a Warchanter if you give him Arcane Tome, and he can still have Hand of Gork too. All the perks of a Weirdknob and a Warchanter in 1. 

Hey man thanks for the reply :)

Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking. I would unfortunately lose the 5 ardboys. They did a whole lot of nothing during my game except get eaten by the daemon prince, but I can see them being useful for capturing objectives. I'll also lose the second potential spell from the Weirdnob. He has a special ability that allows him to cast a second spell if there are at least 10 Ironjaw models within 12". Though I think all that considered, the extra "grindiness" from the chanter would really make the Brutes deadly, especially in 500 points. Even more so when combined with all of the once per game abilities like WAAAGH, Inspired, and the Ironjawz Fist battalion. Will probably go that route.

Thanks man :D

• Like 1

Hello all,

I'm newer to the pure IJ side of things. I was previously a Spilterz and BigWaagh player. Do you guys have any general advice on how to play a list like the below? Any deployment or general Bloodtoof tactics?

I dont' know if this is better than double Mawkrusha (I only own 1) but going Rogue Idol over 2nd Maw means it's a pure 1 drop and it also gives me just enough points to fit in 15 total pigs.

Allegiance: Ironjawz
- Warclan: Bloodtoofs
- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:
LEADERS
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (480)
- General
- Command Trait: Battle-lust
- Boss Choppa and Rip-tooth fist
- Artefact: Armour of Gork
- Mount Trait: Fast 'Un
Orruk Warchanter (115)
- Warbeat: Get 'Em Beat
Orruk Warchanter (115)
- Warbeat: Fixin' Beat
UNITS
6 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (340)
- Jagged Gore-hackas
3 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (170)
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
BEHEMOTHS
Rogue Idol (430)
TOTAL: 1990/2000

• LOVE IT! 1

So what would people recommend as additions to Maw Krusha and Kragnos in a 2k list for a bit of a throwaway day of fun with friends? 1200 points already spent doesn’t allow for much extra. 

Bunch of brutes? Bother with a caster at this point? 

On 2/6/2022 at 12:59 PM, Timcz said:

So what would people recommend as additions to Maw Krusha and Kragnos in a 2k list for a bit of a throwaway day of fun with friends? 1200 points already spent doesn’t allow for much extra. 

Bunch of brutes? Bother with a caster at this point? 

I think the stronger way to build would be Bloodtoofs: You could fit in a Warchanter and 12 Pigs

Not sure I'd bother with a dedicated caster, but you could always take Arcane Tome and Master of Magic 

Alternatively Ironsunz is fun because the countercharging mechanic really changes the shape of the game, and you'll get 3D6 on the counter charge with Kraggy around

So if it's a fun gaming day, and you want to give the Brutes a hit out, I reckon I'd run something like this:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Ironjawz
- Warclan: Ironsunz
- Grand Strategy: Beast Master
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (480)*
- Boss Choppa and Rip-tooth fist
- Mount Trait: Fast 'Un
Orruk Warchanter (115)*
- General
- Command Trait: Master of the Weird
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
- Warbeat: Fixin' Beat
- Lore of the Weird: Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork
Kragnos, The End of Empires (720)

Battleline
10 x Orruk Brutes (320)*
- Jagged Gore-hackas
- Reinforced x 1
5 x Orruk Brutes (160)*
- Jagged Gore-hackas
5 x Orruk Brutes (160)*
- Jagged Gore-hackas

Endless Spells & Invocations
Chronomantic Cogs (45)

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 102
Drops: 2

Alternative would be a Kill Crusha, with Mean 'Un and Destroyer 🙂

Edited by PlasticCraic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I saw this Da Choppas list. 
I fell in love with this list. 

Army Faction: Orruk Warclans
    - Army Type: Ironjawz
    - Army Subfaction: Da Choppas

LEADER

Kragnos (720)

Orruk Warchanter (115)

Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (90)
    - General
    - Command Traits: Master of Magic
    - Artefacts: Arcane Tome
    - Spells: Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork

Orruk Warchanter (115)

Megaboss on Maw-krusha (480)
    - Boss Choppa and Rip-toof Fist
    - Artefacts: Armour of Gork
    - Mount Traits: Fast ’Un

BATTLELINE

Orruk Brutes (160)

Orruk Brutes (160)

Orruk Brutes (160)

TOTAL POINTS: (2000/2000)

Created with Warhammer Age of Sigmar: The App

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Icetea said:

I saw this Da Choppas list. 
I fell in love with this list. 

Army Faction: Orruk Warclans
    - Army Subfaction: Da Choppas

LEADER

Kragnos (720)

Orruk Warchanter (115)

Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (90)
    - General
    - Command Traits: Master of Magic
    - Artefacts: Arcane Tome
    - Spells: Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork

Orruk Warchanter (115)

Megaboss on Maw-krusha (480)
    - Boss Choppa and Rip-toof Fist
    - Artefacts: Armour of Gork
    - Mount Traits: Fast ’Un

BATTLELINE

Orruk Brutes (160)

Orruk Brutes (160)

Orruk Brutes (160)

TOTAL POINTS: (2000/2000)

Makes that warchanter a much more valuable target 😅

Sigmar points can be annoying, that list is real close to what I'd want to run to do kraggy/kruska but I think you really need Warchanter #2 which makes fitting it all together a hassle

Closest I came was subbing in Ardboyz to free up enough points but still walked away with an annoyingly large gap. At least you probably get the triumph I guess!

Edit: Oh I didn't see warchanter #2 yeah looks pretty solid to me, might drop the wiz for somethin but otherwise

Edited by NauticalSoup

32 minutes ago, Bruteforce said:

Makes that warchanter a much more valuable target 😅

Well there’s 2 warchanters I guess. 
and if I know they’re gonna go for them, I know what they’re gonna do, so easier for me to plan and counter. Meanwhile I’m teleporting and casting mystic shield with my shaman. 

there’s not many models though, that’s for sure 

4 hours ago, Icetea said:

Question! Can Kragnos receive the iron subs command alright get ‘em?

Sadly not, it requires the Ironsunz keyword which he doesn't have

And furthermore is an Allegiance ability, which he as Warmaster cannot benefit from

So that's a no

However - he will give your Ironjawz 3D6" when they use that CA, so it's still cash money (same applies to hero phase charges with Mighty D for that matter)

10 hours ago, Icetea said:

Well there’s 2 warchanters I guess. 
and if I know they’re gonna go for them, I know what they’re gonna do, so easier for me to plan and counter. Meanwhile I’m teleporting and casting mystic shield with my shaman. 

there’s not many models though, that’s for sure 

Oh my bad i'm used to the app where similar units are listed right under one another. I suppose the 2nd one can be used as bait!

Edited by Bruteforce
Misspelled

• 4 weeks later...

Hello dear ironjawz Friends,

I need your help to build a list including Kragnos. I would like to create a one drop list, but I m not sure if it s possible/legal to do something like that (as the app says that there is too many generals)

- Army Faction: Orruk Warclans

- Subfaction: Bloodtoofs

- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line

- Triumph: Bloodthirsty

LEADERS

Megaboss on Maw-krusha (480)*

Orruk Warchanter (115)*

Kragnos (720)*

BATTLELINE

3 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (170)*

5 x Orruk Brutes (160)*

5 x Orruk Ardboys (85)*

5 x Orruk Ardboys (85)*

CORE BATTALIONS

- *Battle Regiment

TOTAL POINTS: 1985/2000

Thanks a lot for your help

2 hours ago, Gratouin said:

Hello dear ironjawz Friends,

I need your help to build a list including Kragnos. I would like to create a one drop list, but I m not sure if it s possible/legal to do something like that (as the app says that there is too many generals)

- Army Faction: Orruk Warclans

- Subfaction: Bloodtoofs

- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line

- Triumph: Bloodthirsty

LEADERS

Megaboss on Maw-krusha (480)*

Orruk Warchanter (115)*

Kragnos (720)*

BATTLELINE

5 x Orruk Brutes (160)*

5 x Orruk Ardboys (85)*

5 x Orruk Ardboys (85)*

CORE BATTALIONS

- *Battle Regiment

TOTAL POINTS: 1985/2000

Thanks a lot for your help

I believe you cannot fit both Kragnos and an MK in Battle Reg because it only allows a single 10+ wounds general, and the rest must be sub commanders, 10 wounds and less. 

Anyone had any success with Gordrack so far? I hate the fact that he is base 4+, but I do like the fact that he act as an extra general. With the nerf to amulet the Maw krusha have lost a lot of survivability anyway, and i've had some issue with leadership bubble in some games. 

1 hour ago, broche said:

Anyone had any success with Gordrack so far? I hate the fact that he is base 4+, but I do like the fact that he act as an extra general. With the nerf to amulet the Maw krusha have lost a lot of survivability anyway, and i've had some issue with leadership bubble in some games. 

Absolute paper tiger. He doesn't match his real power that background says about him. And costs so much too.

Thanks to new battlescroll I think the trophy for best general is the foot boss.