AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

On 10/31/2021 at 4:00 AM, Tizianolol said:

Guys another question:)

About redeploy . Immagine a unit finish a move within 9" of a unit of 3 gruntas( unit a) I got a maw crusha in range with that unit of grunta and another unit of 3 gruntas ( unit b) When I use redeply i move first unit of gruntas( unit a) in range of 9". When I can move the second unit(b)?. After i move (a) or when my opponent finish a move with another unit in range with (b)? I hope you understood my poor english!:)

So the Megaboss multi-command got reworded in the FAQ. It now reads:

Megaboss on Maw-krusha, Skull-shaking Bellow

‘This unit can issue the same command up to 3 times in the same
phase. If it does so, each command must be received by a friendly
Ironjawz unit. No command point is spent the second and third
times this unit issues that command in that phase.’

So what does this mean? You use the Command once, paying the point, then essentially get two extra uses for free in the same phase (as units become viable targets). So for your example, when you use Redeploy on group A, you pay the point and get to move group A. If group B is also within 9 of the opponent's unit, you can use it on them as well at the same time. Otherwise, you don't get to move B until your opponent moves within 9 of them, but when they do you can use it immediately, from the same mawkrusha, for free.

EDIT: whoops, missed the answer on the next page. My bad.

Edited by Bobberto
  • Like 1

So I've noticed a few Bloodtoofs lists leaning into 2 Artefacts recently using Arcane Tome and Destroyer and coming out to at least 4 drops. I would imagine that if you were playing a GG-heavy list with Bloodtoofs you'd want to try for a few drops as possible (I personally run a 2-drop with AoD) to alpha your opponent.

What am I missing with the double Artefact list? Is it just for Mystic Shield?

I had to fill in for a sick player on a tournament yesterday. 

So i just went whit some random Ironjaw list i had in storage from way back.

1 mawcrusher 1 megabos 2 units brutes 2 units grunta's and 2 untis ardboys and a warchanter and grot shaman.

I was really suprised how well i did. 

Mawcrushers seem like they are really well worth their points not only do they hit like a truck but they are also verry fast and great leaders whit the tripple orders.

It think i misjudged to battle tome at first. 

Ironjaws seem really strong

Specialy ironsuns

Chargeing in the opponetns turn is pretty nuts. 

13 hours ago, Newtype_Zero said:

So I've noticed a few Bloodtoofs lists leaning into 2 Artefacts recently using Arcane Tome and Destroyer and coming out to at least 4 drops. I would imagine that if you were playing a GG-heavy list with Bloodtoofs you'd want to try for a few drops as possible (I personally run a 2-drop with AoD) to alpha your opponent.

What am I missing with the double Artefact list? Is it just for Mystic Shield?

I havent seen any lists without Amulet of Destiny on the MK general. Its significantly better than anything else. Most of the really strong lists are a 1 drop army, so having more drops beyond that is kinda meh. I also think our army has the option of punishing the opponent if you are given turn 1, so I dont mind not having a say in going first or second. 

I kinda want my 2nd MK to have some artefact or whatever to increase his value which means 1 Warlord batallion is a given for me, at this point Im looking at 5+ drops so does it really matter how many drops I have at this point? Might as well go for double Warlord + Hunters for maximum value. Theres also value in being able to deploy your MKs once the whole army of your opponent is on the table. 

• LOVE IT! 1

3 hours ago, Kasper said:

I havent seen any lists without Amulet of Destiny on the MK general. Its significantly better than anything else. Most of the really strong lists are a 1 drop army, so having more drops beyond that is kinda meh. I also think our army has the option of punishing the opponent if you are given turn 1, so I dont mind not having a say in going first or second. 

I kinda want my 2nd MK to have some artefact or whatever to increase his value which means 1 Warlord batallion is a given for me, at this point Im looking at 5+ drops so does it really matter how many drops I have at this point? Might as well go for double Warlord + Hunters for maximum value. Theres also value in being able to deploy your MKs once the whole army of your opponent is on the table. 

I kind of agree. What i want to do in my first turn is ram my mawcrusher into someones face.  While he is buffed whit both arcane shield and the warchanter buff.  Afther that i really don't care. if i get two turns in a row or not.  The thing is just not going to die either way. So i could not care less about if i go first or second. So long as i can go nuts whit the crusher in the first turn. 

• Haha 1

Did another tournament over the weekend which went reasonably well.

My List

Spoiler

Allegiance: Ironjawz
- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
- Warclan: Ironsunz

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (480)**
- General
- Boss Gore-hacka and Choppa
- Command Trait: Master of Magic
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
- Lore of the Weird: Bash 'Em Ladz
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (480)
- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny (Universal Artefact)
- Mount Trait: Smelly 'Un
Orruk Warchanter (115)**
Orruk Warchanter (115)**

Battleline
10 x Orruk Brutes (320)*
- Jagged Gore-hackas
- Reinforced x 1
15 x Orruk Ardboys (255)*
- Reinforced x 2
5 x Orruk Ardboys (85)**

Units
3 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (150)*
- Pig-iron Choppas

Core Battalions
*Hunters of the Heartlands
**Warlord

Additional Enhancements
Artefact

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 3 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 133
Drops: 8

General thoughts, I really missed having the armour of gork ward save, it felt like my 2nd MK was so much softer. That said bash 'em ladz is amazing if you get it off at the right time and mystic shield on the tankcrusher is so so good.

I'm not using the GG's to their full potential and the Ironsunz CA combined with no skilled leader made the 15 Ardboys feel far less tanky than they did. All that said the list is solid and I'll be running it at bobo more because I can't paint stuff atm than not wanting to tweak it. 

If I were to alter the list I would swap the 3 ggs and 15 ardboys to 10 Brutes and 5 ardboys.

Games - will update a bit later

Edited by Malakree
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Malakree said:

My List

Reveal hidden contents

Leaders
- General
Orruk Warchanter (115)**
Orruk Warchanter (115)**

Battleline
10 x Orruk Brutes (320)*
- Jagged Gore-hackas
- Reinforced x 1
- Reinforced x 2
5 x Orruk Ardboys (85)**

Units
- Pig-iron Choppas

Core Battalions
**Warlord

Additional Enhancements
Artefact

General thoughts, I really missed having the armour of gork ward save, it felt like my 2nd MK was so much softer. That said bash 'em ladz is amazing if you get it off at the right time and mystic shield on the tankcrusher is so so good.

I'm not using the GG's to their full potential and the Ironsunz CA combined with no skilled leader made the 15 Ardboys feel far less tanky than they did. All that said the list is solid and I'll be running it at bobo more because I can't paint stuff atm than not wanting to tweak it. 

If I were to alter the list I would swap the 3 ggs and 15 ardboys to 10 Brutes and 5 ardboys.

Love your lists man, I'm coming back from a long hiatus since early 2.0 and your write-ups are helping me out a lot. Would you be able to explain to me the significance of "Hunters of the Heartlands"? I'm not familiar with this monstrous rampage business. Thanks a bunch!

15 hours ago, Malakree said:

My List

Hide contents

Leaders
- General
Orruk Warchanter (115)**
Orruk Warchanter (115)**

Battleline
10 x Orruk Brutes (320)*
- Jagged Gore-hackas
- Reinforced x 1
- Reinforced x 2
5 x Orruk Ardboys (85)**

Units
- Pig-iron Choppas

Core Battalions
**Warlord

Additional Enhancements
Artefact

That’s what I’m going to be running this saturday so will let you know. 2 MK 2 WC 10/10 brute 10 boyz. Not sure if I should split the boyz up into 5/5. Think I’ll be running Choppas for the buffs all around. I’m stuck on whether or not to take the tome and bash em over destroyer and fast un on one for a SnB trigger when I want it. I’ve ran lists with bash em though and getting things on 2/2 is just amazing in Ironjawz, almost feels like old BW with tons of tricks. 

8 hours ago, Tizianolol said:

Guys today i played a game with my friend , my warchanter give +1 damage to melee weapons to a unit wholly within 15" , i have to track a line from warchanter to my maw crusher( unit that received). That line just have to touch maw crush base to be wholly within him?

Eeh well no the whole base has to be whitin 15 inch.  

• Like 1

Tried out Bloodtoofs and Mega Bossy command trait for the first time yesterday against a mate - He played Ogor Mawtribes with 3x Frostlord, 3x2 Mournfang, 2 wolves and the deepstrike Hrogorth guy.

I played with 2x MK, 3 WCs, 1 Shaman and 4x3 Pigs. 2 of the units being in Hunters with the rest in 2 Warlords. Had Amulet + Smelly + Mega Bossy on my general. The 2nd MK had Fast and Destroyer.

We had already talked about that I wanted to alpha him and see what my list could do, so we deployed how we normally would and we gave me turn 1 (he had 3 drops vs my 10 drops).

This was our deployment. 

image.png.d5050916dfe2346de6b52334004b2a81.png

At the end of my turn 1 it looked like this:

image.png.923e480baca410382a3e1fa380b4a458.png

I had buffed the pigs in the top left corner with Violent Fury and my 2 other MKs got Violent Fury as well.

I did multiple silly mistakes which made the game a lot closer than it should have been (I won big time still).

My first mistake was that I tried to teleport with the Shaman which obviously failed - I dont know why I even tried, I should have casted Mystic Shield on the MK in the middle which was my general. There was no point in trying to teleport anyways. 

The MK on the far right side used MD on the 2 unit of Pigs next to him, then used it on himself + Fast 'Un + move to literally get in the top right corner and charged into the back of the Mournfang pack, then piled into the FL and killed it in a turn with Destroyer activated.

The other MK used MD on the 2 far left Pigs and himself and he moved up the middle. 

Impact hits + shooting happened (seriously I keep forgetting shooting with the MKs.. But between 8 attacks on 2s/3s/-1/1 damage and impact hits, you can easily damage enough to secure SnB fun) and at this point it was just starting from one side of the board and Smashing and Bashing all the way through. 

I called the waagh here so everything was pretty much rend 3 which just shreds. The 3 pigs on the far right killed the heavily wounded Mournfang pack, my general killed the 2 Mournfang in the middle, the Pigs on the far left hand piled into the wolves and killed them, the 3 buffed Pigs next to them on the left wiped the Mournfang and then my Destroyer MK piled into the FL and killed him. 

I literally fought with everything and he didnt get to fight back. At the end of combat my left pigs move back to the objective. The other buffed unit charges into the FL and locks him in place. 

My second mistake happened here where I might have been greedy.. They needed a 6" charge to lock the 2nd FL in combat but failed it. I could have just made a move to form a screen between the FL and my 2 MKs. 

My third mistake happened here and I used Finest Hour on my MK (non general) in the top right corner. The combination of these mistakes lead to him charging my general MK and wiped him in a turn between the impact hits from the charge and him being buffed up. He roared etc. so his rend 2 attacks destroyed my general. If I had used Mystic Shield + Finest Hour there would have been zero chance for him killing my general and instead he would have been forced to go into the corner of the map for the other MK which would have sealed the deal no matter the outcome on the following priority roll.

My 3 pigs on the left hand side did 10 damage to the FL on the left hand side. We rolled for priority into turn 2 and I won it, at which point the game was decided right there and then. I decided to give him the turn after agreeing it was over, just to see what would happen. The game went into turn 3 before he only had his general FL left and at this point I would secure 2/3 objectives no matter what he did and I could get all my battle tactics done. So I more than doubled his VPs and we called it after turn 3. 

Conclusion: I need to try and alpha my opponent more often. Im generally really careful and play the objective game a lot more. Bloodtoofs is amazing - The fact you can move pigs or even charge is so huge. The 3 pigs on the left side locking his FL into combat was huge. It was one of the units in Hunters batallion. Had the right hand side Pigs not failed their 6" charge and thus locking the other FL into combat, it would have been decided turn 1 for sure. 

Mega Bossy is actually amazing on a mobile army (surprise) where you want to get up into the face of the opponent. 2 Warlord Batallions really help here because you can get 2 free CPs at any time in the start of your hero phase if you decide to go all-in. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kasper said:

Tried out Bloodtoofs and Mega Bossy command trait for the first time yesterday against a mate - He played Ogor Mawtribes with 3x Frostlord, 3x2 Mournfang, 2 wolves and the deepstrike Hrogorth guy.

I played with 2x MK, 3 WCs, 1 Shaman and 4x3 Pigs. 2 of the units being in Hunters with the rest in 2 Warlords. Had Amulet + Smelly + Mega Bossy on my general. The 2nd MK had Fast and Destroyer.

We had already talked about that I wanted to alpha him and see what my list could do, so we deployed how we normally would and we gave me turn 1 (he had 3 drops vs my 10 drops).

This was our deployment. 

image.png.d5050916dfe2346de6b52334004b2a81.png

At the end of my turn 1 it looked like this:

image.png.923e480baca410382a3e1fa380b4a458.png

I had buffed the pigs in the top left corner with Violent Fury and my 2 other MKs got Violent Fury as well.

I did multiple silly mistakes which made the game a lot closer than it should have been (I won big time still).

My first mistake was that I tried to teleport with the Shaman which obviously failed - I dont know why I even tried, I should have casted Mystic Shield on the MK in the middle which was my general. There was no point in trying to teleport anyways. 

The MK on the far right side used MD on the 2 unit of Pigs next to him, then used it on himself + Fast 'Un + move to literally get in the top right corner and charged into the back of the Mournfang pack, then piled into the FL and killed it in a turn with Destroyer activated.

The other MK used MD on the 2 far left Pigs and himself and he moved up the middle. 

Impact hits + shooting happened (seriously I keep forgetting shooting with the MKs.. But between 8 attacks on 2s/3s/-1/1 damage and impact hits, you can easily damage enough to secure SnB fun) and at this point it was just starting from one side of the board and Smashing and Bashing all the way through. 

I called the waagh here so everything was pretty much rend 3 which just shreds. The 3 pigs on the far right killed the heavily wounded Mournfang pack, my general killed the 2 Mournfang in the middle, the Pigs on the far left hand piled into the wolves and killed them, the 3 buffed Pigs next to them on the left wiped the Mournfang and then my Destroyer MK piled into the FL and killed him. 

I literally fought with everything and he didnt get to fight back. At the end of combat my left pigs move back to the objective. The other buffed unit charges into the FL and locks him in place. 

My second mistake happened here where I might have been greedy.. They needed a 6" charge to lock the 2nd FL in combat but failed it. I could have just made a move to form a screen between the FL and my 2 MKs. 

My third mistake happened here and I used Finest Hour on my MK (non general) in the top right corner. The combination of these mistakes lead to him charging my general MK and wiped him in a turn between the impact hits from the charge and him being buffed up. He roared etc. so his rend 2 attacks destroyed my general. If I had used Mystic Shield + Finest Hour there would have been zero chance for him killing my general and instead he would have been forced to go into the corner of the map for the other MK which would have sealed the deal no matter the outcome on the following priority roll.

My 3 pigs on the left hand side did 10 damage to the FL on the left hand side. We rolled for priority into turn 2 and I won it, at which point the game was decided right there and then. I decided to give him the turn after agreeing it was over, just to see what would happen. The game went into turn 3 before he only had his general FL left and at this point I would secure 2/3 objectives no matter what he did and I could get all my battle tactics done. So I more than doubled his VPs and we called it after turn 3. 

Conclusion: I need to try and alpha my opponent more often. Im generally really careful and play the objective game a lot more. Bloodtoofs is amazing - The fact you can move pigs or even charge is so huge. The 3 pigs on the left side locking his FL into combat was huge. It was one of the units in Hunters batallion. Had the right hand side Pigs not failed their 6" charge and thus locking the other FL into combat, it would have been decided turn 1 for sure. 

Mega Bossy is actually amazing on a mobile army (surprise) where you want to get up into the face of the opponent. 2 Warlord Batallions really help here because you can get 2 free CPs at any time in the start of your hero phase if you decide to go all-in. 

BRUTAL!!

• Like 1

So a bit of a silly question but I'm building a casual Ironjawz force to play against my niece. I should have 30 ard boyz with what I'm picking up over the next couple of months (along with some Brutes, Goregruntas and characters). I'm just wondering as I prepare to start building the first batch of ard boyz, if I should be building them in units of 10, 15 or one unit of 30? How do they tend to play best?

1 hour ago, EonChao said:

ardboyz  How do they tend to play best?

Spoiler

ard boyz are battleline with 5 models minimum. so you can reinforce them up to two times. i.e they can have maximum 15 models in a unit. Sometimes it can be pretty hard to use ardboyz unit that big thanks to 3.0 coherency rules and their 1' range weapons (they can't fight in 2 lines). (i.e. they need quite a lot of space if you want all of them to fight, you also would have to postition them in a certain way 1' form 2 other models each if  more than 5 models in a unit). I personally don't really think that all of this stuff matters in casual games with your niece unless she's a veteran AoS wargamer. You can find some info here, Ironjawz section is more or less regulary updated. 

Edited by dnusha
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Kasper said:

This is my concern with a 10-drop Bloodtoofs list though, you'll have a tough time alpha-striking your opponent if you're 10 drops. I've looked at your list and, while I think it's strong, 10 drops seems like a lot when Bloodtoofs are a list you want to alpha and go first with. It sounds like Fast 'un helped in this list but was Destroyer the make-or-break against killing the FL? Did Smelly 'un help? If not I would imagine it would be worthwhile to pair this list down to a 2-drop using Battle Regiments to help ensure the first turn more easily, no?

6 hours ago, Tizianolol said:

Guys what do you think about 3 warlord. Its good for enchantments but feel amazing we can have 1cp more 3 times! And we need it!!:)

You cant have 3 Warlord, you need 3 heroes (1 leader and 2 sub commanders) for each Warlord batallion.

7 hours ago, Newtype_Zero said:

This is my concern with a 10-drop Bloodtoofs list though, you'll have a tough time alpha-striking your opponent if you're 10 drops. I've looked at your list and, while I think it's strong, 10 drops seems like a lot when Bloodtoofs are a list you want to alpha and go first with. It sounds like Fast 'un helped in this list but was Destroyer the make-or-break against killing the FL? Did Smelly 'un help? If not I would imagine it would be worthwhile to pair this list down to a 2-drop using Battle Regiments to help ensure the first turn more easily, no?

I dont think I NEED to alpha my opponent though, so I generally dont really care how many drops I have. This was the first time I played Bloodtoofs though - I have generally been a worshipper of Ironsunz so I had some Brutes and Ardboyz in my previous list - But I was perfectly fine and able to play the objective game, like I wouldnt be afraid to cast Metamorphosis on a WC and use Ferocious Advance with my 2 MKs for tripple monster +1 VP turn 1 and then try to maximize VPs from there.

In my match against my mate above I certainly needed Fast 'Un to get into the position I wanted, especially with a failed teleport, which was hitting the FL from the side - I decided to charge the Mournfang, then pile into the Frostlord - I dont know if it was a mistake not to charge into the FL to try and roar at him, but at the same time I didnt want to be roar'd back. I havent done the math but not sure if +1 save from AoD outweights getting +1 to hit on 15 attacks. Destroyer was also the deciding factor for sure, damage 6 attacks hurt him bad. He didnt see that coming hence he didnt use Finest Hour. He had deployed so there was more than 4" from the Frostlord and to the front of the Mournfang packs, so I wouldnt have been able to double team his Frostlord with my 2 MKs.

I think Smelly 'Un is really strong. I have had previous games where I stacked Mystic Shield + Finest Hour on my MK general and with a roar on the opponent it means hes generally hitting on 4s instead of 2s or 3s which is a huge deal survivability wise. He tanked his Frostlord General for 2 turns and took almost zero damage. My plan this time around was to have the MK sit and be a door stop so he couldnt get into the objectives, but the lack of +saves on him meant he got mowed down with some spiky hit rolls from his side.

Im sure you could have great success with 2x battle regi instead, but I dont think the alpha playstyle is the end all be all to how you play this army. I also think the real strong armies are 1 drop, so you need to ask yourself if you want to dominate the weaker armies hard by being a 2 drop army or if you want to maximize your opportunity against the strong 1 drop armies.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

So I took the following list to a 1250 random team mate 3 game tourney. I was fortunate enough to get paired up with Sons of Behemat player who took a gatebreaker, kraken eater, and one baby, though I did not know and had to take the best list I could create.

The list I had been practicing for a few weeks was 

Maw krusha, 2 units of 10 brutes, and a warchanter with get'em beat.

I felt my list had no magic and so my revised list was 

Maw krusha, 10 brutes, 5 brutes, warchanter, shaman, ironskull's boyz. 

However, my ironskulls never came in, I was going to change 5 brutes to 3 pigs and take the Brute Team, but it was too late to really make changes. 

So I ended up with the first list as Da Choppas. Took Hulking Brute, Mean'un, and Amulet of Destiny. 

------------------------

First game is mega scuffed from the start. Our first game was supposed to be Krule Boyz and Nurgle, however the nurgle player shows up an hour late. Kruleboyz get paired up instead with a fyreslayer player whose random'd partner dropped last minute forcing the TO to join. 

So Game 1, Power Struggle. 

Kruleboyz list. Gobsprakk, shaman, mirebrute General (super sneaky, amulet, I don't remember what if any mount trait), 2x10 gutrippas, 6 boltboyz. 
Fyreslayers: (Lofnir) all 3 magmadroth flavors, 10 berserkers with flails, 5 berserkers with flairs. 

Kruleboyz set up on our left flank, fyreslayers on the right. 

my ironjawz in the middle. Giants flank the sides. 

---turn 1---

Kruleboyz/Dwarves

They move up and take an objective but leave no screens really. Uneventful top of 1.

Bottom of 1, we move up and I call my shot on killing one of the magmadroths that does the prayers. Gatebreaker moves up to kill runeson. I waaaagh, and with a 3d6 charge, I get to where I need, and gatebreaker moves in. Two dead magmadroths. and both middle objectives under our control.

Priority goes to IJ/SOB

---Turn 2---

I call for broken ranks on the 5 man squad of hearthguard and partner takes Slay the Warlord. 

Brutes catch up but by bad positioning, I don't get my maw krusha in line to kill the unit I wanted for a bonus point. Maw krusha engages the 10 man, and 10 brutes engage the 5 man. 

Needless to say, the fyreslayers are wiped out. Krakeneater moved up and killed the his bolt boyz. 

Score at this point was like 26-5.

Bottom of 2, Fyreslayers are tabled at this point, so just kruleboyz. We know the game is over at this point, but we want to see the giant die. 20 gutrippas and the mire brute do kill the mega though. it's a consolation prize.

Turn 3, we've expected to fully table them, gaining at least 15 more points. Score would end at 45-8 with all the objectives and dead monsters. 

According to TO, if your opponents concede, you gain VP for the following rounds anyways as if you completed all of your battletactics, so score ended up 74-8. Now if your game went to time, it just ended there and you called it. I don't think I agree with this rule. 

Game 2 vs Khorne and Beasts of Chaos

I forget the name of this plan, but theres 5 objectives in a form of an X, and one objective can be killed off, and you can only gain objective points after holding for 2 turns. 

BoC: Shaggoth, Shaman, 2x20 raiders, 2x10 gors, two ghorgons. Dumb bull endless spell.

Khrone: Two giant axe bloodthirsters (one with +2 attacks on their axe), 1x10 bloodletter, 1x20 bloodletters, 3 bloodcrushers. Khorne Daemonprince.

-Deployment-

Because of khorne player's alter and the Herdstone, they have to field seperate from each other. I face off against khorne and Sons vs Beasts of Chaos. but I keep my maw krusha in back to that it can counter move where it needs to go and help support. They win on drops and force us to go first. 

----Turn 1---

---Top of 1---

We move up a little and stop the Boc player from deploying in our backlines. Kraken eater runs up with the intention of kicking back the objective. 

---Bottom of 1---

They move up but don't engage, but 40 shots into the giant causes a lot of hurt. The Bullspell comes out and causes a fair chunk of mortal wounds. 

We hope to win priority to kick the spell back to be in a better position... we lose. 

---turn 2---

---Top of 2---

BoC calls bring it down, and I forget what the khorne player calls, but moves up to engage the giant with his 7 attack bloodthirster. 

we both redeploy away, knowing we won't be able to kick the objective away, and I move my orcs away so they don't get splashed in mortal wounds. 

The giant gets obliterated by the bloodthirster, but denies the beasts of chaos player his battle tactic (It was ruled early that the player themself has to complete the tactic, your teammate completing it for you does not count).

---Bottom of 2---

I move up to the advancing khrone line. Theres a bloodthirster and 3 blood crushers that are protecting the khorne daemonprince and 20 blood letters. Maw krusha makes a tactical retreat as it has no where to go. 

Gatebreaker runs off to take care of some gor that showed up. The baby giant at this point is just getting pinged endlessly with mortals from the bull spell. 

I get all of my charges off with a 3d6 charge for the brutes going after the bloodthirster and an 8 on the brutes for the blood crusher. Both get flatlined. 

end of the turn, it's looking rough, but we're around even. one or two points away.

We win priority to double them back.

---Turn 3---

---top of 3---

The Khorne DP still has his aura up. I call bring it down on one of the ghorgons that is stuck in the middle from killing the kraken eater. It's going to be a tough charges, but with the bullspell around, I don't want it moving and blocking a charge... so I go for broke and mighty destroyer charge both units. I roll a 9 and a 10, so effectively a 4.5 and 5" charge, exactly what I needed to get into the ghorgon and the khorne daemon prince. Maw krusha uses his last MD to move up. Bull spell moves to make sure both brute squads fight last. 

Movement phase, maw krusha moves up to kill 20 brutes, the plan being I will smash and bash my way out of all of the fight lasts. the Khorne DP cuts down a few brutes before dying, the bloodletters evaporate with taking 8 mw's before combat and dying handily to mighty fists, which causes brutes to kill the ghorgon. 

The other ghorgon though gets pulled in... and in some amazing dice rolls... kills 5 brutes. My plan to steal the center objective fails as I'm now 2 models short of holding it. 

---bottom of 3---

We get told 10 minutes until dice down, so we rush a bit. 

my 4 remaining brutes on the center get killed, but khorne player calls broken ranks on my brutes that killed the DP. We know the maw krusha will get pulled in regardless though for the purposes of VP as it will kill the bloodthirster. A summoned bloodthirster is brought in, and the brutes are softened up with more arrows. It looks dicey. 

Charge phase... his normal thirster arrives and makes it, tagging brutes and the maw krusha. While his charge was long enough to not engage, he hoped his summoned thirster would add additional attacks to get the tactic. It fails a rerolled charge.

He does not kill the brutes, and with the victory point they gave us due to time... we end up...17-17.

We go to kill points and its 1050-950.

It's such a narrow victory, but we win. Honestly? Best game of the entire set. It was high melodrama. The khorne player had taken 4th place at Michigan GT, so an extremely skilled player. My friend who I've battled constantly with against and with his BoC is never to be taken lightly.

---Game 3 vs Sons and Stormcast---

Tectonic interference (Shifting objectives)

These guys were next table to us the entire day, and they were cleaning up shop. I've only played against Sons once, and that was with my friend vs old slaanesh. I'd seen what my partner could do, but I still felt nervous for the match up. For the stormcast player, I'd played against their same exact list a few times, so I knew what to expect.

Sons: Two gatebreakers, one tiny. One had amulet... the other had some 6+ ward artifact. 

Stormcast: Astral Templars. Lord-Aquilor, Knight Judicator, 3 longstrikes, 5 vanguard-hunters, 3 Palladors, Aetherwings, Chariot. Holy Command is hero phase shooting.

Our plan was to take 3 objectives early and be hard to shift with me on the right flank, and the sons player was spread to take the others, but my maw krusha would up either flank. Stormcast deployed against me, and the other sons against our sons. However, stormcast player makes a mistake and places his ranged units down first, so I change the plan and hide my maw krusha so that he can sneak up a board edge and can't be shot turn 1.

First Alpha object was in front of me. 

We give our opponents first turn. 

---Turn 1---

---Top of 1---

Sons player takes the running tactic, stormcast player calls to get two units inside out territory. However, he didn't premeasure and can't get two units in anywhere. He drops instead on 2/3 objectives, shoots some brutes, but attempts to charge off the objectives. He dropped his chariot on the center, and palladors on the alpha objective. Fortunately for them, he fails the palladors, but does make the charge with the chariot. 

The chariot does kill half the brutes, and the brutes can't even swing back well enough to kill it. 

---bottom of 1--- 

I can't really make use of 3 mighty destroyers here. Warchanter pops off +1 damage on brutes, get's MD'd up. Mawkrusha MD's up.

Movement, Brutes move up, maw krusha moves up to 3" of palladors. Kraken moves on center objective, and gatebreaker and baby move on the left objective. Brutes get the 3d6 charge buff... and roll an 18. Unfortunately coherency won't allow them to make the full charge, but it's still a great charge. Kraken charges the chariot while holding the objective. Maw krusha also gets in and murders the palladors, which triggers the brutes to finish the chariot, leaving 4 left. 

A scary turn, as objective shifts towards the gatebreakers, which has the enemy sons rolling up on it. Score is 9 to 5

Priority roll, goes to us though. 

---turn 2---

---top of 2---

Taking the momentum, we surge ahead on the stormcast side. Brutes move up, maw krusha has poor targets though. Our Sons and myself both took savage spearhead and moves into their territory. Kraken and brutes take out the ranged battery of longstrikes and knight-judicator, while the maw krusha gets a snack in the form of aetherwings. All the stormcast player has remaining is his Lord-Aquilor which hasn't been placed yet and his 5 vanguard hunters. 

Score is 18-5.

---bottom of 2--- 

The rest of stormcast arrive, vanguard hunters move to our deployment as to not get destroyed. Sons move up to engage our gatebreaker. 

Friendly Gatebreaker takes a thrashing, but lives for the time being. Lord-A charges 4 brutes but doesn't kill enough to take objective. Score is 18-9 I want to say at this point. 

They win double turn. 

---Turn 3---

---Top of 3---

Giants continue to pummel and throw rocks at the gatebreaker killing it, but are too far away to charge. 

Stormcast fails to kill the brutes holding center, they retaliate and kill the Lord-A, but on his death, triggers enough mortal wounds to finish off the last brute. A good way to die. 

Vanguard hunters moved up on the right objective and fight the warchanter. He tanks like a boss. 

I do not remember how much they scored.

---Bottom of 3---

not much to do here, the survivng brute squad repositions with the kraken to hold the center objective, but not catch the ire of the gatebreakers incase they take priority. Maw krusha charges, fails to do mortal wounds on his charge and massively whiffs. The least amount of damage he has done all tournament. Warchanter holds on to dear life. 

We gain 7 points. They take priority. 

---Turn 4---

---Top of 4---

Both gatebreakers walk over to fight the kraken and do not engage the brutes, the kraken has gone for all out defense, mystic shield, and finest hour. It tanks a lot of damage, and brings one of the megas down to 8 wounds remaning. Maw krusha kills its way out of combat. 

The writing is on the wall though, we are on our way to victory.

---Bottom of 4---

Brutes move, getting ready for a charge with +1 damage.

Maw krusha (sitting at +3 attacks by now) moves over to get ready to charge as well. 

Kraken eater casts flaming weapon. 

I WAAAAAAGH.

Kraken eater resolves attacks first, killing the wounded mega and scratching the general. 

Brutes go but don't do nearly enough damage, does bracket the giant. The enemy general mega has 14 wounds remaining. 

Enemy Gatebreaker finishes off the Kraken, tabling our Sons.

Maw krusha, comes in for the KO punch, and kills the last Mega Gargant. All that remains is one baby giant who cannot get away. 

Ending score however is 33-24.

--------------

And with all of that, 3-0, The maw krusha lived all throughout and only took like a total of 15 wounds the entire tourney. It was a tactical buff piece that moved where it needed to. Brutes did a lot of heavy lifting and can opening. 

Had a lot of fun, TO said next year is build you own team. Hoping some rules get ironed out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Went to a 1 day 3 game tournament this weekend, standard 2k matched play, playing Tectonic interference, Feral Foray, Apex Predators.

My list was Ironsunz with 2 MKs (general with master of magic and arcane tome and a tanky boy with amulet and smelly un), 6 gruntas, 10 brutes, 2x5 ard boyz and 2 warchanters.

Game 1 was against Stormcast, with 6+3 longstrike raptors, 4 fulminators, relictor, prime, battlemage and lib screen. 

This was nasty, as I was forced to deploy far back, in order to minimize potential turn 1 damage from raptor double shooting in the hero phase and teleporting fulminators. Deplying far back forced him to teleport his raptors at least, so the fulminators had to wait a turn. My MK without amulet of course died turn 1 due to the 9 raptors. He put down the prime to 12" charge my gruntas to keep them in place. Managed to kill the prime in my turn. Living MK killed liberator screens and tagged the fulminators, which was a movement mistake on his part. MK lost some wounds to unleash hell.

He won priority roll and killed 2 gruntas and did some more damage to the last MK. In combat his lacked fulminators got the MK to 2 wounds, then he killed them all back, but got hit by 2 MWs from them exploding on death and failed both 5+ wards... such is life...

In my turn I managed to get my brutes into combat, and the gruntas finally got into his raptors. Despite killing 2 on impact, unleash still hurt a lot. Brutes managed to wipe his remaining heroes and the remaining 2 gruntas killed the 4 raptors while locking the remaining 3 in combat. 

Opponent conceded as he only had those left and I still had 1 grunta and all my brutes, ardboyz and warchanters alive and ahead on points (which ardboys had been sitting on while he castled).

Game 2 was against more pew pew (are we playing 40k now?), this time 3 foxes and 30 sentinels, you know the deal. Feral Foray was dangerous as he could burn my objectives from round 2 with 36" move foxes. 

Against a 1 drop so he took first turn. By a miracle my generals master of magic allowed me to unbind lambent light, which caused the sentinels and foxes combined to only get him to 1 wound remaining in the end, even after a fox charged him. MKs cant do anything to foxes except for stomp, as they pile 2,9" away and forces the MK to only pile in 1", so none of the attacks can reach.

I chose to play aggressive and got my remaining forces all up in his business, as sitting back and chasing foxes while getting shot was not an option. Tanky MK got away with the unleash decently, while brutes and gruntas got in to clear all screens in front of sentinels. 

Next round he won the roll of (darn it), and even despite some healing back to 7 wounds, the general MK got shot down and 3 gruntas got shot down as well. I had serious issues with CP, as he of course had total eclipse. I had used my warlord though to stack up to 4 CP. I had him trapped though and spent 2 CP in the end of his charge to charge in the gruntas with the ironsunz command, they of course died to unleash, but brutes chargedi n as well (thanks to MK command), and I gave them a good kickin, without wards they went down fast. 

The rest was cleanup and I managed to end up with 27-17 score with only Severith alive on his end and only 1 objective in my end was not burned, crazy game!

Game 3 was against Morathi and bowsnakes. I was beginning to get tired of shooting at this point xD Apex predators was also terrible for me, with Morathi being immortal and capping 2 objectives turn 1. Major clutch here was he failed his teleport spell, so snakes was out of range to hero phase shoot, they could only reach my gruntas in the shooting phase to kill 2. In his charge phase I counter charged little morathi and put in the 3 wounds I needed for the turn to his dismay.

In my turn things got crazy, as I double moved flanked up my MKs with warchanter buffs, and pushed brutes up past shadow queen in the center to engage witch elf screens. I popped Waagh and got some juicy charged, allowing my tanky MK to get into the snakes, but was forced to tag the 20 WE unit too. The other MK got a 13" charge and landed behind the other screen of WE, to tag them and a hag. Brutes engaged 10 WE screen too. Murder happened and wiht my inspired triumph my MK killed all the bowsnakes, which triggered my brutes to kill the 10 WE screen, which triggered the other MK to kill the hag and 13 WE, which triggered the Gruntas to put 3 damage into Morathi... At that point it was pretty much GG.

Round 2 he took turn and most of the other stuff died, Morathi tried to play big and leave the obj and charge the non tanky MK, but whiffed and took 3 more damage back. My turn all of his stuff was dead, while I had no primary points yet, that didnt matter, as it was a complete tabling at bottom 2 and he got 0 kill points from me.

All in all interesting enough to see how Ironjawz did against some pretty nasty lists with a lot of shooting. Losing a MK outright before having a turn sucks, but seems required to be sure to at least have a MK at all, and also forces a lot of resources into trying to bring them down. In the second game the clutch unbind of lambent light bought me a turn against his shooting too. I am not too sure about running master of magic and arcane tome though, even if it did technically win me the 2nd game perhaps. Looking at sentinels and raptor output, which seems to be the highest there is with shooting, perhaps and armor of gork for that 6+ ward would not be too bad, and put the numbers in my favor to weather that turn 1 alpha shooting on both MK's... worth thinking about at least. I also did not find Smelly un to be all that useful, I think I will go with fast un next time possibly, which would also allow the non amulet MK to be in an even more safe position turn 1.

Ironsunz was a lot of fun to use, it really did some clutch things for me, such as getting to the sentinels in game 2 and getting morathi down faster in game 3. The threat of it also forced my opponents into some moves and positions they were not really comfortable with, so the mind games alone it forces is quite nice, even if you possibly never use it in a game, because the opponent needs to position poorly so you can not do it. Having 4 hammer units was fun as well, and the 10 brutes in game 2 against the sentinels allowed me to burn his objective he stood on, before I finished them off next turn, was quite hilarious.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/4/2021 at 3:14 AM, Kasper said:

I dont think I NEED to alpha my opponent though, so I generally dont really care how many drops I have. This was the first time I played Bloodtoofs though - I have generally been a worshipper of Ironsunz so I had some Brutes and Ardboyz in my previous list - But I was perfectly fine and able to play the objective game, like I wouldnt be afraid to cast Metamorphosis on a WC and use Ferocious Advance with my 2 MKs for tripple monster +1 VP turn 1 and then try to maximize VPs from there.

Outdropping the opponent is one of the most critical ways a melee skewed list like ironjawz, or specifically bloodtoofs performs well. Controlling initiative forces the opponent to deploy disadvantageously or lose to a full charge/pin which you can then take advantage of.  

I'd recommend you revisit that game (play it out on TTS or on your own table or in your head) going first vs second, and try things like 4 giants, or Archaon vs the bloodtoofs the same way. You'll find many matchups that you REALLY want to dictate turn order :)