AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

9 hours ago, Orkmann said:

Im on team rippa, but I think the weird un is a better choice overall, because it gives you a big plus against the exact armies we usually struggle to deal with. The 4+ ignore is great, because it puts a lot of pressure onto your opponent whether he wants to target the cabbage, esp if you manage to negate the first one. The more decision you force into him to make, the higher chance hes making a mistake.

Why not both? 1 with ironclad, amulet and weird un and 1 with rippa. ;) It works very well

Here is my list for the weekend:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Ironjawz
- Mortal Realm: Shyish
- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
- Triumphs: Inspired

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (495) in Battle Regiment
- General
- Boss Gore-hacka and Choppa
- Command Trait: Ironclad
- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny (Universal Artefact)
- Mount Trait: Weird 'Un
Orruk Warchanter (120) in Battle Regiment
- Warbeat: Get 'Em Beat
Orruk Warchanter (120) in Battle Regiment

Battleline
6 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (340) in Battle Regiment
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Reinforced x 1
3 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (170) in Battle Regiment
- Jagged Gore-hackas
- Jagged Gore-hackas
10 x Orruk Ardboys (190) in Battle Regiment
- 2x Gorkamorka Banner Bearers
- Reinforced x 1

Units
30 x Savage Orruks (390) in Battle Regiment
- Stikkas
- Allies
- Reinforced x 2
-- WARNING: Unit may be invalid.

Core Battalions
Battle Regiment

Total: 1995 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 4 / 4
Allies: 390 / 400
Wounds: 167

Why does it say: -- WARNING: Unit may be invalid.       underneath the 30 Savage Orruks?     

6 hours ago, Lanoss said:

What changes do we expect to happen to our Ironjawz in the upcoming ORRUK WARCLANS? 
Already, we see Waaagh has changed in BIG WAAAAGH! where we lose all our WP for +1 attack 

I don't want to get my hopes up by wishlisting 😢

Any tips vs. LRL?

I'm playing against them for 1st time ever tonight.

Sounds like I'm up against Teclis and 2 foxes.

Is it just a matter of hitting them hard hard and fast as possible?

Ironjawz or big waaaggh!?

Also have dominion and considering to bring the bolt boys for done ranged. 

What should I be looking out for?

And I assume weird in a must on cabbage.

Thanks

So I've got a 2-day tournament coming up in two weeks and I'm currently between 2 lists...any input?

List 1

Spoiler

- Warclan: Ironjawz
- Triumphs: Indomitable

Leaders
- General
Orruk Warchanter (120) in Warlord
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120) in Warlord
- Artefact: Great Green Visions
- Lore of the Weird: Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork
- Warbeat: Fixin' Beat

Battleline
- Reinforced x 1
5 x Orruk Brutes (150) in Battle Regiment
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- 1x Gore Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- 1x Gore Choppas

Units
3 x Man-skewer Boltboyz (120) in Warlord
- Allies
- Allies

Endless Spells & Invocations
Emerald Lifeswarm (60)

Core Battalions
Battle Regiment
Warlord

Additional Enhancements
Artefact

Total: 1985 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Allies: 240 / 400
Wounds: 125

List 2

Spoiler

- Triumphs: Indomitable

Leaders
- General
Orruk Megaboss (160) in Warlord
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
- Universal Spell Lore: Flaming Weapon (or Great Big Hand of Gork)

Battleline
- Reinforced x 1
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- 1x Gore Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- 1x Gore Choppas

Units
- Allies
- Allies

Core Battalions
Battle Regiment
Warlord

Additional Enhancements
Artefact

Total: 1965 / 2000
Allies: 240 / 400
Wounds: 126

List 1 pros:

• ELS
  • Potential extra command points
  • Not as much point float

List 2 pros:

• MEGABOSS WIZARD
  • 1 extra wound
  • I dare someone to come to my backline for my Boltboyz
Edited by Newtype_Zero

12 hours ago, Arkahn said:

Even with battle regiment you have 6 drops, instead I consider hunter of hearthland on brutes, gruntas... 

Actually, this brings up a question I didn't consider until now. If I went with the HoH battaltion, can I take more than 1 of the same CB? For example, could I do...

HoH 1 - Gruntas, Grunts, Brutes

HoH 2 - Brutes, Ardboys, Boltboyz

Warlord - Everything else from my list.

Slightly unrelated - this has been bugging me since 3rd dropped and I don't think I've seen anything saying I can't do it, but I'd like to be sure before this tournament - can I buff two different units with Violent Fury since I have 2 Warchanters in 3rd?

Edited by Newtype_Zero

39 minutes ago, Newtype_Zero said:

Actually, this brings up a question I didn't consider until now. If I went with the HoH battaltion, can I take more than 1 of the same CB? For example, could I do...

HoH 1 - Gruntas, Grunts, Brutes

HoH 2 - Brutes, Ardboys, Boltboyz

Warlord - Everything else from my list.

Slightly unrelated - this has been bugging me since 3rd dropped and I don't think I've seen anything saying I can't do it, but I'd like to be sure before this tournament - can I buff two different units with Violent Fury since I have 2 Warchanters in 3rd?

In my opinion, yes you can. This is an ability on the warscroll and not a command ability. The once per phase once per unit is only for command abilities, not abilities.

Trying this list out today. Thinking I might just drop the battle regiment for more hunters of the heartland. I'd rather not deal with getting roar'd at for debuffs. 

Struggling if I want shaman cloak or Magic Artifact for my shaman. I know the teleport is great, but it's on a high cost spell. I kind of want the shaman to deal some good amount of mortal wounds (I'm playing against beasts of chaos) and be able to cast mystic shield on a unit of boys. 

- Triumphs:
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (495) in Warlord
- General
- Mount Trait: Mean 'Un
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120) in Battle Regiment
- Lore of the Weird: Brain-busta
10 x Orruk Brutes (300) in Hunters of the Heartlands
- Jagged Gore-hackas
- Reinforced x 1
5 x Orruk Brutes (150) in Hunters of the Heartlands
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (150) in Hunters of the Heartlands
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
5 x Orruk Ardboys (95) in Battle Regiment
- 1x Gorkamorka Banner Bearers
5 x Orruk Ardboys (95) in Warlord
- 1x Gorkamorka Banner Bearers
Hunters of the Heartlands
Warlord
Battle Regiment
Artefact

Total: 1985 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 143

2 hours ago, Carnith said:

Trying this list out today. Thinking I might just drop the battle regiment for more hunters of the heartland. I'd rather not deal with getting roar'd at for debuffs. 

Struggling if I want shaman cloak or Magic Artifact for my shaman. I know the teleport is great, but it's on a high cost spell. I kind of want the shaman to deal some good amount of mortal wounds (I'm playing against beasts of chaos) and be able to cast mystic shield on a unit of boys.

If you wanna deal damage i would go with skullcape and wrath of gork. you have the potential of doing 14 MWs to a unit in this army

Something to try next time! I had the bad cast dice, only casting 1/4 of my spells over two turns. 

Mission was the Vice. Opponent was Beasts of Chaos. 

Opponents list was

Double warlord

Shaggoth general, +1 sv characteristic, Amulet of Destiny, forgot spell (I think better rend by 1)

2 shaman

beastlord (volcanic axe +1d and 6 to wound is mw in addition)

Doom bull (wizard book, flaming weapon)

Tzan Shaman

50 gors (10-10-30)

2x3 enlightened

6 skyfyre

cygor

ghorgon

I deployed in a way to force him to deploy his ambush on the table sides so I didn't have to worry about something popping up in the back. Ardboyz stayed on the objectives following them up. I gave him first turn. 30 gors, shaman and beast lord popped up on my left flank which had goregruntas but shaman, chanter, brutes and mawkrusha were nearby. He fails charge to tie up goregruntas and uses skyfyres and they kill a singular brute. 

Bottom of 1, I move up engage gors with goregruntas powered by warchanter and mystic shield. They did a bit of damage, killing only 11 gors, but through the beastlord being nearby to attack and some counter attacks, I lose 2 pigs. 

I take the double turn. 

Right flank which didn't have any pressure from any goats sees brutes, other grunts, and warchanter move up and ready to strike with the pigs. Warchanter on that end buffs up the pigs, other warchanter hits the mawkrusha. 10 man brute squad takes midfield ready for turn 3 to be a second wave. 

Mawkrusha moves up take out the skyfyres, and boc redeploys some gors to cut off the charge. Mawkrusha makes a badly positioned charge to still hit the skyfyres and blocking gor, but I'm in herdstone range. Some bad dice see both units survive, and takes some damage in return. 4 man brutes charge what remains of the 30 gor to keep them in place and the singular goregrunta holds on from the beastlords attack survivng with 2 wounds. Fresh Goregruntas with warchanter buff charge the cygor and almost kill it. 

Bottom of 2, goregrunta is killed off with magic, and opponent prepares to kill off the mawkurhsa, who is down 5 wounds at this point. I give him Finest Hour to survive. He gets charged by finest hour doombull with flaming weapons, ghorgon. I smash the herdstone to stop the additional -1 to save. Ghorgon goes first and does no damage. Mawkrusha KOs both the ghorgon and the Doombull, which causes the goregruntas to finish off the ghorgon, which allows the brutes to fight more gor. One of my warchanters was caught out by the shaggoth and his now freed beastlord... but both flub their attacks and the warchanter survives. 

Roll off for third turn and I keep the stolen tempo and opponent concedes. Mawkrusha would've healed next turn for 3 damage from recovery. The game ends with 1 brute dead, and 3 goregruntas dead. the 10 brutes were in position to charge and kill the shaggoth and the beastlord freeing the warchanter, mawkrusha was in the middle of his army feeling quite healthy, about to smash his way out of the current combat to be free for movement. 

I enjoyed the list really well, and would definitely run it again for 2k.

I took the list above to a 3 game tourney today. I learned a lot, and mainly that the Ironclad/Amulet MBMK is super tanky and never died in any of the games. I should have pushed him forward sooner than turn 2/3 in my games. Another takeaway is that I really hate the new coherency rules. The unit of 6 GG's was so bad, I only ever got 4 in to combat on the charge and it felt like a big waste. The unit of 3 were great, but lacked that extra bit of damage that the 6 man unit used to do. 10 man units of Ardboys are basically half dead weight because of coherency as well. I will need to practice how to position better but with terrain and base sizes its not likely that I will make a big difference in the amount of models that get to attack. Hog of Gork is ok... again, if I get the tele off, then make the charge, coherency holds too much back from the output. I will have to learn.

Game 1 vs Seraphon - The Veins of Ghur

Spoiler

Allegiance: Seraphon
- Constellation: Fangs of Sotek
- Grand Strategy: Predator's Domain
- Triumphs: Inspired

Leaders
Stegadon with Skink Chief (305) in Warlord
- General
- Command Trait: Nimble
- Artefact: Cloak of Feathers
- Weapon: Skystreak Bow
Slann Starmaster (265) in Warlord
- Artefact: Itxi Grubs
- Spell: Stellar Tempest
Skink Starpriest (130) in Warlord
- Spell: Hand of Glory
Skink Starpriest (130) in Warlord
- Spell: Hand of Glory
Skink Priest (80) in Warlord
- Artefact: Serpent God Dagger
- Universal Prayer Scripture: Curse
Skink Priest (80) in Warlord
- Universal Prayer Scripture: Curse

Battleline
30 x Skinks (225) in Hunters of the Heartlands
- Boltspitters & Moonstone Clubs
- Reinforced x 2
30 x Skinks (225) in Hunters of the Heartlands
- Boltspitters & Moonstone Clubs
- Reinforced x 2
10 x Skinks (75) in Warlord
- Boltspitters Celestite Daggers & Star Bucklers

Units
5 x Chameleon Skinks (115) in Warlord
3 x Evocators on Dracolines (280) in Hunters of the Heartlands
- 2x Grandstaves
- Allies

Emerald Lifeswarm (60)

Core Battalions
Warlord
Warlord

Additional Enhancements
Artefact
Artefact

Total: 1970 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 4 / 4
Allies: 280 / 400
Wounds: 123

I felt pretty good going in to this matchup. I didn't realize that Fangs of Sotek Seraphon was still playing a different game with all those CP's they get in their turn. The player was able to use AAA, AAD, Parting Shot, Inspiring, you name it abilities all the time with their 7-8 CP's a turn, and I have max 2-3 CP as if I was lucky to get another on a 4+... What a game.

I gave away first turn. He shot off a unit of 3 pigs. I scored Ferocious Advance then killed 10-12 skinks with the unit of Bonesplitterz. I then got the double, took the objective and scored Broken Ranks on the 10 man unit of skinks, and unluckily left the 30 skink unit on 1 skink left. The 1 skink later rallied his friends back and there was about 15ish after the Emerald Lifeswarm did its part. Dammit 1 model left!!!

His turn 2 he cleaned up the unit of 6 pigs and did a lot of work to the Bonesplitterz. The game was close but I was loosing my army.

I got turn 3 and the MBMK went in to the 30 skinks killing 24 of them. I scored Conquer and then only had my MBMK left after he got the double on turn. I couldn't contest everywhere and my T4 I got Monstrous Takeover but I was never going to catch up in points. There was too many smaller units running around spaced out. Great game, great fun. Damn Seraphon have CP's to spend...

Game Two - Savage Gains - vs KO

Shooting is still a thing.

He gave me first turn. I pushed up and spread out to keep my characters out of gun range. I scored Ferocious Adv, Aggressive Exp and then Monstrous Takeoever before being shot off the board. The MBMK was the only thing left and he was constantly being made half move. He had his chance to shine but failed his Roar and the Ironclad only took 9 wounds with All Out Defence. What a game changer all these CP's are. +1 to save on everything that I ever get in to combat with!

Game Three - Survival of the Fittest - Sylvaneth

Spoiler

Allegiance: Sylvaneth
- Glade: Dreadwood
- Grand Strategy: Predator's Domain
- Triumphs: Inspired
LEADERS
Branchwraith (95) in Warlord
- Deepwood Spell: Verdurous Harmony
Spirit of Durthu (340) in Warlord
- General
- Command Trait: Paragon of Terror
- Artefact: Jewel of Withering
Treelord Ancient (295) in Warlord
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth
Warsong Revenant (275) in Warlord
- Artefact: The Vesperal Gem
- Universal Spell Lore: Flaming Weapon
UNITS
5 x Tree-Revenants (80) in Hunters of the Heartlands
5 x Tree-Revenants (80) in Hunters of the Heartlands
5 x Spite-Revenants (70) in Warlord
6 x Kurnoth Hunters with Kurnoth Scythes (430) in Hunters of the Heartlands
BEHEMOTHS
Treelord (190)
ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS
Spiteswarm Hive (40)
Umbral Spellportal (70)
CORE BATTALIONS
Warlord
TOTAL: 1965/2000 WOUNDS: 93
LEADERS: 4/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 3/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4
ARTEFACTS: 2/1 ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS: 2/3 ALLIES: 0/400
REINFORCED UNITS: 1/4

Man, Sylvaneth need a bit of help. The woods are great, and giving them the extra + to save is great but they should make a way to get Kurnoth as battleline.

I scored Ferocious Advance, Aggressive Expansion, Broken Ranks +1, Conquer, then Monstrous Takeover

The MBMK was the all-star once again and coherency was a big problem. I didn't feel efficient all day.

I am probably not going to play again before the new book comes out but I am curious about how we will be with Magic. Having only 1 dispel was bad vs Seraphon and Sylvaneth but I guess that is just how it goes. Even the KO guy dispelled my Hand of Gork so I am not even sure if I will be including a Weirdnob in the future. I might as well get a Wurrggog in there for the 4+ CP and unbinds.

The pigs will be max 3. I am not sure what to reinforce because the Ardboys will be 5 max as well. If I get my ten man Brutes with 2" reach going then those will be an auto include along with at least 1 MBMK. After that, 37 Boltboyz?

Thanks for reading.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

Yeah it has to go on your cabbage

How did you go?

Very close game. Krumped Teclis on turn 2 w/Mawkrusha.

Came down to the wire, turn 5, if I could make a 12" charge on his objective holding foxes /Mawkrusha I'd have won but the dice weren't on my side.

We played The Vice battleplan. 

Cheers!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Megaboss Badgash said:

Very close game. Krumped Teclis on turn 2 w/Mawkrusha.

Came down to the wire, turn 5, if I could make a 12" charge on his objective holding foxes /Mawkrusha I'd have won but the dice weren't on my side.

We played The Vice battleplan. 

Cheers!

How many sentinels did he have?

2 hours ago, Backbreaker said:

How many sentinels did he have?

None. He had Teclis, 2 foxes, 20; wardens, 10 cavalry, 5 w/2 handed swords, loremaster, and a wizard. 

Those 2 foxes were extremely hard to pin down and fight. 

Loremaster was deployed behind my lines and was punching way above his points, took out nearly 450 points on his own.

Went to London open last weekend with Big Waaagh! It's better than pure ironjawz, the 6++ and 2+/2+ reliability just make everything so much stronger. Not to mention that the wurrgog/wardokk makes the ironjawz wizards into a joke.

I'd say that 10 is the sweet spot for ironjawz infantry. It's not so large as to be unwieldy but still represents a large threat to even thinks above it's points value. Also fast un on the cabbage is great.

I want to go BW for the 6++ but losing Mighty Destroyers is too much at the moment. Hopefully the new book irons things out and gives a way to max out on Waaaagh points by T2.

Ironsunz looked very interesting with a double MBMK but the wording on Unleash Hell means that they can shoot you even after you charge them in their charge phase. wtf!

@Arkahn @Boggler 

Spoiler

Allegiance: Big Waaagh!
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (495)
- General
- Command Trait: Brutish Cunning
- Artefact: Metalrippa's Klaw
- Mount Trait: Fast 'Un
Orruk Warchanter (120)
Orruk Warchanter (120)
Wurrgog Prophet (170)
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Gorkamorka's War Cry
Wardokk (85)
- Universal Spell Lore: Levitate
- Universal Prayer Scripture: Curse
Madcap Shaman (80)
- Allies

Battleline
10 x Orruk Brutes (300)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- Reinforced x 1
10 x Orruk Ardboys (190)
- Reinforced x 1
10 x Orruk Ardboys (190)
- Reinforced x 1
5 x Orruk Ardboys (95)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (95)

Emerald Lifeswarm (60)

Core Battalions
Warlord
Warlord

Additional Enhancements
Artefact
Warbeat

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 3 / 4
Allies: 80 / 400
Wounds: 133

Played Gloomspite, which was a joke. Morathi+Gotrek+15 snakes which I got a bit lucky in, DoT which I made a few minor mistakes and he was....liberal with his movement, then I faced Nagash, got a little lucky but forgot about redeploy and it cost me the game.

Edited by Malakree