AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Re. Bloodtoofs' Get Da Realmgate command trait

I love the sound of the Bloodtoofs' abilites... except I find the whole realmgate thing a bit odd as it's not something I've ever experienced anyone actually using. Is it worth going Bloodtoofs if not using a realmgate, and if so are you missing out on a command trait that other warclans have as you'd basically be sacrificing having a useable command trait?

If taking a realmgate, how exactly does it work in terms of setting it up/them up (and do you take one or two?)? Do you just rock up to the game with a realmgate/s, declare you're going to use it and plonk it down wherever on the board... and it doesn't cost points??
I know it would depend on context - is it your local club or a tournament, etc, but as a general rule of thumb, how do Bloodtoofs players go about it? Does your opponent ever have an issue with it, or even say they're OK with it but clearly are seething inside and it sours the mood of the match? Or does it essentially work like the free (in terms of points) army-specific terrain pieces other factions get to use? 

As a side question but related, I don't have the 'official' model but do have these (see image), which believe it or not are meant to go in fish tanks but I think look just as good if not better than the GW models, and certainly thematic for a Destruction army! Anyway, the question is - at your average FLGS or games club, how bothered do you think people would be about these not being the 'proper' size, etc?

(I've searched 'Bloodtoofs', 'Baleful' and 'Realmgate' and I haven't come across anyone specifically discussing this topic, but apologies if it's been done to death and I've just missed it somehow!)

Baleful Realmgates.jpg

Edited by The Mysterious Mr B
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 11/26/2020 at 5:23 PM, The Mysterious Mr B said:

Re. Bloodtoofs' Get Da Realmgate command trait

I love the sound of the Bloodtoofs' abilites... except I find the whole realmgate thing a bit odd as it's not something I've ever experienced anyone actually using. Is it worth going Bloodtoofs if not using a realmgate, and if so are you missing out on a command trait that other warclans have as you'd basically be sacrificing having a useable command trait?

If taking a realmgate, how exactly does it work in terms of setting it up/them up (and do you take one or two?)? Do you just rock up to the game with a realmgate/s, declare you're going to use it and plonk it down wherever on the board... and it doesn't cost points??
I know it would depend on context - is it your local club or a tournament, etc, but as a general rule of thumb, how do Bloodtoofs players go about it? Does your opponent ever have an issue with it, or even say they're OK with it but clearly are seething inside and it sours the mood of the match? Or does it essentially work like the free (in terms of points) army-specific terrain pieces other factions get to use? 

As a side question but related, I don't have the 'official' model but do have these (see image), which believe it or not are meant to go in fish tanks but I think look just as good if not better than the GW models, and certainly thematic for a Destruction army! Anyway, the question is - at your average FLGS or games club, how bothered do you think people would be about these not being the 'proper' size, etc?

(I've searched 'Bloodtoofs', 'Baleful' and 'Realmgate' and I haven't come across anyone specifically discussing this topic, but apologies if it's been done to death and I've just missed it somehow!)

Baleful Realmgates.jpg

Bloodtoofs CA is basically a tax but their other abilities are solid. +1 charge means ardboys charging +4 and brutes/pigs charging +2. I think the real value is in the artifact though, with wizards being as powerful as they are now its hard for us to use magic against an army with strong magic. The bloodtoofs artifact gives us the option of not playing that game by leaving the wizard at home and still getting hand of Gork.

Undispellable hand of gork on ardboys with +4 to charge is pretty consistent I'd say.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ganigumo said:

Bloodtoofs CA is basically a tax but their other abilities are solid. +1 charge means ardboys charging +4 and brutes/pigs charging +2. I think the real value is in the artifact though, with wizards being as powerful as they are now its hard for us to use magic against an army with strong magic. The bloodtoofs artifact gives us the option of not playing that game by leaving the wizard at home and still getting hand of Gork.

Undispellable hand of gork on ardboys with +4 to charge is pretty consistent I'd say.

Ahh, so are you saying most Bloodtoofs players just ignore the whole relegate thing entirely and see it as a way for the designers the balance it out - the rest of what Bloodtoofs get is so good it doesn't matter not having a usable Command Trait? 

Because if so, doesn't that make them pretty unique in all of AoS? I can't think of another faction or subfaction for which it's just accepted by the vast majority of players of that sub/faction that one of their benefits intentionally isn't used as a 'tax' due to how good their other benefits are. 

My original questions still stand, for anyone who does use realmgates. 

In terms of the Realmgate, I think it's been debated before and what was mentioned was something along the lines of matched play terrain placement rules allows you to just pick the Realmgate and plop it down. Now most may not play with those rules when setting up the table.
Though since you've searched and didn't find any results, I am doubting if it was debated here on TGA or I saw it someplace else.

One of the issues with Bloodtoof is also the fact that you will most likely take a battalion, so you will get two artifacts, and if you're picking Bloodtoof and not bringing a Weirdnob, you really don't want to waste an artifact on the Warchanters, so you're sort of pushed to bring a Warboss on foot, to go along with your Mawkrusha.

• 1 month later...

I played a list with a lot of brutes on TTS last night. Against a Jaw of Mork list.

It was close but I won. My brutes did the job, with Ironsunz command ability, mighty destroyer and a hand of gork, I moved surprisingly quickly, preventing the charge of boingrot bounderz etc ... And two times, a unit of 5 brutes almost survived a fight phase with a mangler (died at the moral phase without CP).

Sooo I intend to try a Boss Fist at 2000 points next time. With two MK. What kind of loadout should I use on the second MK (I don't have the choice for the first one) ?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Boggler said:

When I use Mighty Destroyers. Can that unit make a run?

I'd say so, because it's a Normal Move.  And you can declare a Run as part of a Normal Move.

Obviously the same restrictions to charging / shooting later in the turn will apply as they would to any other situation where you've ran earlier in that turn.

11 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

I'd say so, because it's a Normal Move.  And you can declare a Run as part of a Normal Move.

Obviously the same restrictions to charging / shooting later in the turn will apply as they would to any other situation where you've ran earlier in that turn.

Thanks. I agree. Though I did have someone recently tell me no way. Hopefully I can find the rule about Normal moves.

14 hours ago, Boggler said:

I searched this topic but I can not find the answer.

When I use Mighty Destroyers. Can that unit make a run?

From the core Rules Designer's Commentary

Q: Some abilities allow a model to make a move out of sequence (in the hero phase, for example), or to make a specific type of move (a ‘6" retreat move’, for example). Can I run when I make these moves?
A: You can only run if the ability refers to making a ‘normal move’ (which includes any move made ‘as if it were the movement phase’) and the ability doesn’t specify the distance of the move. Note that the restrictions that apply to normal moves (not moving within 3" of the enemy, and having to retreat if they start within 3" of the enemy) also apply to normal moves made in any other phase. Also note that the increase to the unit’s Move characteristic for running only applies to that move. So, for example, if the ability said ‘This unit can make a normal move’ the unit could run and could not move within 3" of the enemy unless it retreats, and if it said ‘This unit can move D6".’ then it could not run but could move within 3" of the enemy.

So yes, and you can point them towards this part of the designer's commentary if they don't believe you.

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
On 3/9/2021 at 6:55 PM, Tizianolol said:

Guys "strenght from victory " megaboss ability stacks turn by turn? If turn 1 and 2 i kill a model, turn 3 i got +2 attacks and +2 wounds ? Thx !

By the way guys, how many kill of "Strength from victory" were you able to stack ? I ended up with a megaboss on foot with 10 attacks recently! :D 

10 hours ago, Gutlord said:

Ironjawz mega gargant!!! 

All you need is a mega gargant and an ironjawz start collecting kit.....and lots of glue......and be willing to lose at least 1 gore grunta ☹

20210317_202901.jpg

That picture just made me want to buy a SoB army. :D

great work

• Like 1

On 11/22/2020 at 7:27 PM, Gutlord said:

Cheers for the advice mate, i havnt tried using wrath of gork with my shaman yet.....and i must admit that brutes are my favourite ironjawz models so might have to give that a go

I ran a double brutefist 8x5 brutes in da choppas at a tts tourney and it was terrible, I only got wrath off once killing 7 marauders but the biggest issue was just how slow it was. The reroll charges was great but man what a slog it was getting on objectives. I've just started testing a 8x3 ggs in a double gorefist in ironsunz and it's so much better.

• Thanks 1