AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

11 hours ago, Jabbuk said:

You cannot move, as the spell Great Big Hand of Gork states it in the description. You can, however, use Mighty Destroyer, for example, in the case of a Footboss that teleported himself or a group of Brutes/GGs that has an Ironfist boss in it, thus making them eligible to use MD.

As you stated, you can use MD in the hero phase and you choose the order in which you use your abilities.

You can technically only charge after, which is why Ardboys are great targets for the spell, they have the best charge bonuses.

The spell states “in the following movement phase” and the hero phase (when quickduff/HoG is used) is not the “the following movement phase.”

4 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

That's pretty neat that it does work like that though right? I feel like if I really sit here and look at the rules I can think of some neat "tricks". 

It does. As I was writing this, I was thinking of making a group of 10 Brutes and having the Ironfist boss in this group instead of the default GG. That would make them a good target to tp and would almost guarantee a charge after the MD move. 

6 hours ago, Jabbuk said:

It does. As I was writing this, I was thinking of making a group of 10 Brutes and having the Ironfist boss in this group instead of the default GG. That would make them a good target to tp and would almost guarantee a charge after the MD move. 

You earn 1” by doing that. Easily worst  unit for the trick.

Got the latest White Dwarf. It's great to have a Tome Celestial for the Ironsunz but it is kind of weird the painting tutorial is for the yellow and black scheme Gordrakk is painted in rather than the yellow and red I'd normally associated with the Ironsunz themselves. The only red used in either the Classic or Contrast method is for the eyes which is downright bizarre.

5 hours ago, VoodooChileIRL said:

Got the latest White Dwarf. It's great to have a Tome Celestial for the Ironsunz but it is kind of weird the painting tutorial is for the yellow and black scheme Gordrakk is painted in rather than the yellow and red I'd normally associated with the Ironsunz themselves. The only red used in either the Classic or Contrast method is for the eyes which is downright bizarre.

Ironsunz is Black and Yellow. 

Bloodtoofz is Red with yellow accents and flames n stuff. :P 

33 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

Ironsunz is Black and Yellow. 

Bloodtoofz is Red with yellow accents and flames n stuff. :P 

It really isn't though. Checking Battletome:Orruk Warclans it seems they've named the Yellow and Black minis as "Ironsunz" but originally Gordrakk's yellow and black clan did not have a name. The Ironsunz were/are predominantly yellow with red accents and red spikes/triangles on their armour.

This is best seen in the original Ironjawz Battletome on page 33-34. Some Brutes have a small amount of black on the armour but it's mainly yellow and red. (Not sure if it's ok to post a photo of this)

Also the painting tutorial for the Maw-Krusha shows off the scheme and specifically calls it out as Ironsunz.

https://youtu.be/qollOdPJ8Oc

Edited by VoodooChileIRL
  • Like 1

So I have a double 1.000 points tournament coming up soon. I dont know my team mate yet (my original guy bailed a couple of days ago). Would really like you guys’ feedback.

I dont feel like a batallion is worth it at 1.000 points. Im also not sure about the clans and plan to go clan-less.

I wont have enough CPs to make the Ironsunz CA relevant. My army is also too slow to really benefit from the -1. 

I thought of Bloodtoofs due to the teleport, but without a Maw Krusha or Ironfist batallion, the trick isnt as deadly. Teleporting 10 buffed Ardboyz with +4 charge could be alright.

Choppas isnt bad but the +2 Bravery trait feels meh compared to the general ones.

I thought about downscaling 1 unit to 5 Ardboyz and skip the extra command point for another Warchanter. Just not sure if 2 is overkill in a 2x1.000 pts game. Might need the bodies.

1120A612-040D-4E8C-887D-A317156142D9.png

How does Gore-Grunta charge ability work? 

I charge 3 Gore Gruntas into 1 unit of 3 Kurnoth Hunters. 

The Sylvaneth has player protests after I roll 3 dice. 1 for each model that has completed the charge and is within 1” of the Kurnoth Hunters unit. 

He argues you roll 1 dice per unit within 1”, so had I tagged his Dryads and his Kurnoth I would roll 2 dice, 1 for the dryads and 1 for the Kurnoth.

I showed him the “if the unit has more than 1 model, roll to determine after each model completes its charge move, but do not allocate the mortal wounds until after all of the models in the unit have moved. “

He still says it’s once per unit. So I would roll only 1 time against his Kurnoth Hunters despite having 3 models in my Gore-Gruntas unit and all 3 being within 1 inch. 

136BDF7A-18D1-4D05-A2B2-CAB346DCE2A3.png

57 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

The Sylvaneth has player protests after I roll 3 dice. 1 for each model that has completed the charge and is within 1” of the Kurnoth Hunters unit. 

He argues you roll 1 dice per unit within 1”, so had I tagged his Dryads and his Kurnoth I would roll 2 dice, 1 for the dryads and 1 for the Kurnoth.

I showed him the “if the unit has more than 1 model, roll to determine after each model completes its charge move, but do not allocate the mortal wounds until after all of the models in the unit have moved. “

He still says it’s once per unit. So I would roll only 1 time against his Kurnoth Hunters despite having 3 models in my Gore-Gruntas unit and all 3 being within 1 inch. 

You are right. You roll a die for each Goregrunta model in your unit for each enemy unit within 1" of that model.

13 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

Wow, that guy... You indeed roll for each model in your unit. So if your unit had 6 GGs all within 1 in of an enemy unit when they finish charging, that's 6 dice. And if a model would be touching 2 adjacent enemy units, within 1in, you would roll a dice for each enemy unit to determine if there's a mw or not.

Greetings Fellow IronJawz Players. 

I had to step away from AoS roughly a year and a half ago and much has changed since then. I was hoping you fine folks could assist me in rounding out my collection. I'm mostly looking for recommendations as I know the play style of these guys have changed. 

What I currently have is 

- Mega Boss on Maw Krusha

- Mega Boss on Foot

- Weirnob Shaman 

- Warchanter

- 10 Brutes

-6 Goregruntas

-20 'Ardboyz.

Seems like given the current rules I want to double down on 'Ardboyz but I could be wrong. Appreciate all of you, stoked to be back! 

@MilesBergs Welcome back my man. :) 

Tbh it is kinda hard to guide you, as it heavily depends on what you want to do, as you have a decent core - I'm just confused as to why you only have 1 Warchanter? :D It looks like you bought 2 SC.

Ironjawz actually have quite a few different lists, that depend on how you want to play the game. Some people really like Brutes, even though they are generally considered worse than Ardboyz - Tbh they are not THAT bad, they just offer something different. Brutes deal a little more damage, but lack the bravery, body count and charge bonus that Ardboyz get.

Like you can go for 2x Maw Krusha + 4x3 Pigs.

You can go for 1 Maw Krusha + 6 Pigs + 2 Warchanters + 1 Weirdnob and then Ardboyz for the remaining points. Maybe even skip out on the Weirdnob for more Ardboyz.

Some people skip out on pigs and the Maw Krusha and just fields loads of Ardboyz.

Generally Orruks seem to run with 2 big threats, or loads of bodies to simply grind your opponent down.

Edited by Kasper
  • LOVE IT! 1

46 minutes ago, brattenbergus said:

Evening Boyz! 

I just started with AoS and decided to build me an Ironjawz army! Just got my SCB and was wondering about Ardboys. Is there any downside with giving them all Shields when they have the same rules for all melee weapons? 

Thanks! 

The warscrolls in the boxes are outdated - You need to check the app.

The most optimal way of building 10 Ardboyz is: 1 Champion, 1 Banner, 1 Glyph, 2 Drummers, 1 normal guy, 4 dudes with shields.  

1 minute ago, Kasper said:

The warscrolls in the boxes are outdated - You need to check the app.

The most optimal way of building 10 Ardboyz is: 1 Champion, 1 Banner, 1 Glyph, 2 Drummers, 1 normal guy, 4 dudes with shields.  

Yeah, I noticed that. That is why I was wondering why you would ever build then without the shield. Why 1 normal guy? 

3 minutes ago, brattenbergus said:

Yeah, I noticed that. That is why I was wondering why you would ever build then without the shield. Why 1 normal guy? 

Because you can only field 2 shields, 1 drummer and 1 glyph or banner per 5 guys. With 1 champion per unit that means in a 10 man you'll have 1 normal guy. In 15, 2 normal guys etc.

@Kasper @brattenbergus

On the banner glyph point. Personally I would recommend just building double banner for your unit. The glyph is really situational and very meh, you won't notice it not being there.

On the otherhand a unit without a banner is significantly worse, to the point if I have to choose between the boss and banner as the last model ~70% of the time I choose the banner. Since you may choose to split your units into 5s and there are several different abilities which allow people to target/remove specific models that Redundency is crucial.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 3/6/2020 at 2:01 PM, Malakree said:

@Kasper @brattenbergus

On the banner glyph point. Personally I would recommend just building double banner for your unit. The glyph is really situational and very meh, you won't notice it not being there.

On the otherhand a unit without a banner is significantly worse, to the point if I have to choose between the boss and banner as the last model ~70% of the time I choose the banner. Since you may choose to split your units into 5s and there are several different abilities which allow people to target/remove specific models that Redundency is crucial.

Yep that's totally a fair point. I personally don't fight vs armies with stuff that can specifcally remove a single model very often - In fact I can't remember the last time I did. OBR usually wont shoot against my 10 man Ardboyz. But if you experience it, you can totally go with 2 banners. 

In regards to our talk about Mighty Destroyers, I found the FAQ confirming that you can run in the hero phase. MD says "... That unit must make a normal move.." hence you can use it on a unit of Ardboyz or whatever in the hero phase and declare that you run,  and you can obviously run again in the following movement phase. Makes us a lot better at grabbing objectives. Running in the hero phase will obviously prevent you from charging though. 

image.png.d0df16a70051d146bc790238ea991c3f.png