AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

2 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

I've been playing with 6 GGs and a MK and slinging them out front and I've had trouble figuring out how the army is supposed to work now TBH. The GGs and MK are way faster than any of the other heroes, brutes or ArdBoyz and I only have so many CP I can't just MD everything up the board so it splits my army in half. Trying to figure out when/how to Mighty Waaaagh! and the rest. Always feel like my Warchanters get left behind and I've yet to use any beats tbh. 

Always run the Warchanters, just about never a situation where you want them charging anyways. 

Im personally not a fan of just rushing the GGs or MK across on turn 1. Everyone I play with screens important units, so you will kill worthless chaff which leaves your big key pieces stranded and ready to be countercharged and killed off in the opponents next turn. If you lose the roll off, you die. If you win it, you have likely won. Even if its a dice game, I dont want to rely on a 50/50 like that.

The mobility usually only comes into play in turn 2 and onwards, when you can suddenly flank and cover alot of ground and reach key pieces.

I use the Ardboyz as a shieldwall for my MK and GGs. They will kill almost anything and force your opponents big guns, which is where you use the MK or GGs.

It is a lot slower playstyle, which is also why I prefer Big Waagh. Has worked rather well so far for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kasper said:

Always run the Warchanters, just about never a situation where you want them charging anyways. 

Im personally not a fan of just rushing the GGs or MK across on turn 1. Everyone I play with screens important units, so you will kill worthless chaff which leaves your big key pieces stranded and ready to be countercharged and killed off in the opponents next turn. If you lose the roll off, you die. If you win it, you have likely won. Even if its a dice game, I dont want to rely on a 50/50 like that.

The mobility usually only comes into play in turn 2 and onwards, when you can suddenly flank and cover alot of ground and reach key pieces.

I use the Ardboyz as a shieldwall for my MK and GGs. They will kill almost anything and force your opponents big guns, which is where you use the MK or GGs.

It is a lot slower playstyle, which is also why I prefer Big Waagh. Has worked rather well so far for me.

Maybe I ought to consider Ironsunz then and going with the slow advance, but I do want to keep playing Ironjawz as Ironjawz over a big waaagh. 

That's the first way I played it vs Idoneth, so maybe against them play it aggressive to kill them before turn 3, but against others take it slow and adjust my tactics based on my enemies army?

Edited by Ravinsild

2 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

That's the first way I played it vs Idoneth, so maybe against them play it aggressive to kill them before turn 3, but against others take it slow and adjust my tactics based on my enemies army?

Definately, there are some armies you need to hit in a window and others where you hit as a block.

One of my classic examples is if you can alphastrike an archregent+ghoul king off the board before they summon that's a massive boon.

EDIT: Also the alphastrike potential is the big benefit of Ironjawz over big waaagh. There's no "do I have enough WAAAGH points" you can spam into them turn 1 then SnB cascade their army. Number of times I've activated my entire army before they get to go is pretty mental.

Edited by Malakree

14 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

Maybe I ought to consider Ironsunz then and going with the slow advance, but I do want to keep playing Ironjawz as Ironjawz over a big waaagh. 

You should certainly change your playstyle depending on what you face. Idoneth is an example where you can't just sit back.

You can continue to play Ironjawz and approach a bit slower playstyle. I would consider no-clan, but Ironsunz isn't bad either. The CA where you charge in the end of your opponents chargephase can be quite potent. It is one of those one-of-a-kind abilities, which means you often get to outplay your opponent since many play off muscle memory, and there is normally zero threats to take into consideration in your own chargephase.

Ironsunz would allow you to play hyper aggressive against certain armies and benefit from the -1, while still providing utility against armies where you take a slower approach with the unique CA.

There have been quite a few times where I wished I had Smashing and Bashing when I play Big Waagh.

12 hours ago, Malakree said:

One of my classic examples is if you can alphastrike an archregent+ghoul king off the board before they summon that's a massive boon.

Do people really do that though? Nobody I get to play just mindlessly deploy everything 12" up the table along the deployment line. 

8 minutes ago, Kasper said:

Do people really do that though? Nobody I get to play just mindlessly deploy everything 12" up the table along the deployment line. 

A lot of FEC army lists don't have the potential to screen properly and are simply not used to people being able to 30" alphastrike a 7 wound character off the board.

23 minutes ago, Malakree said:

A lot of FEC army lists don't have the potential to screen properly and are simply not used to people being able to 30" alphastrike a 7 wound character off the board.

I mean FEC got 10 ghouls for 100 points.. Even BCR got Noblars. Pretty sure every army got access to some kind of screening. A lot of armies can reach you in turn 1, especially if both players deploy at the 12" mark. 

8 minutes ago, Kasper said:

I mean FEC got 10 ghouls for 100 points.. Even BCR got Noblars. Pretty sure every army got access to some kind of screening. A lot of armies can reach you in turn 1, especially if both players deploy at the 12" mark. 

I said 30" not 24" 10 ghouls can be killed with impact hits + pile in which leaves stuff behind free to be killed. You've also got the MK which can easily charge over the top of screens.

Theoretical threat range for an MK is 43" no other army has that kind of flying threat range.

8 minutes ago, Malakree said:

I said 30" not 24" 10 ghouls can be killed with impact hits + pile in which leaves stuff behind free to be killed. You've also got the MK which can easily charge over the top of screens.

Theoretical threat range for an MK is 43" no other army has that kind of flying threat range.

Technically you can get it to move 46" total, but I highly doubt anyone is gonna equip their MK with Fast 'Un and throw away 25% of their list like that. 😂

Anyways, the point is that every army can screen, and will have to if they are a semi serious list. It is not like we are the only army can that alphastrike.

3 minutes ago, Kasper said:

Technically you can get it to move 46" total, but I highly doubt anyone is gonna equip their MK with Fast 'Un and throw away 25% of their list like that. 😂

Anyways, the point is that every army can screen, and will have to if they are a semi serious list. It is not like we are the only army can that alphastrike.

My point is that if a FEC list takes 2 dragons and an Archregent, which a lot do, it leaves them with very little ability to screen. I've personally killed 4 Archregents and a ghoul king before they got to summon.

14 hours ago, Stompa89 said:

What do you guys often feel is the most effective hidden agenda to do?

Secret Mission is really easy to complete if you ally in Fungoids, since they'll spend most of the game far away from your opponent (meaning it's easy to run them off the edge in turn 5 or if you're going to get beaten for sure, so you can at least score 1 HA).

Obliterate is great against MSU squishies, like against CoS, Arcanites, or Khorne builds.

Onslaught is super easy with Ardboys. GGHOG into charge => complete.

So with Mighty Destroyers a unit "must make a normal move if it is more than 12" from any enemy units". 

According to the core rules, when you make a "normal move" with a unit, you can declare it is running. 

I guess it means you can use Mighty Destroyers on stuff in the hero phase and make them run towards an objective or whatever? I realize you can't charge later on, but for a slower playstyle I often find myself using MD on Ardboyz in turn 1 to scoot them up the table. Adding an additional D6" move could be quite useful.

1 hour ago, Kasper said:

So with Mighty Destroyers a unit "must make a normal move if it is more than 12" from any enemy units". 

According to the core rules, when you make a "normal move" with a unit, you can declare it is running. 

I guess it means you can use Mighty Destroyers on stuff in the hero phase and make them run towards an objective or whatever? I realize you can't charge later on, but for a slower playstyle I often find myself using MD on Ardboyz in turn 1 to scoot them up the table. Adding an additional D6" move could be quite useful.

Hu I know they removed it previously because of how I/we were abusing it but I can't find anything stopping it now. Maybe with the change to the run rules stopping the abuse they added it back in. That's good to know.

Whaaaat...? You telling me we might play something else than Ironfist soon? 

From what I recall, he took some giant’s earwax and stuffed it inside his own ears to subdue a giant Mawkrusha.

I wonder what kind of batallions they will come up with. Theres already a batallion for every unit, maybe one for heroes? At least one that includes a Maw Krusha?

Im excited though, but it is really a hit or miss usually with White Dwarf. Most stuff has been kinda ****** and purely for fluff, on the other hand they also made Syll’eske which made Slaanesh disgusting.

Edited by Kasper

I quite like Da Bossfist battalion.  I would easily use that one except for the cost.  It seems very overpriced.  It already has somewhat of a tax in the 2 Footbosses.  I could make that work since footbosses are quite decent apart from being slow, but 220 is just an absurd cost.

3 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

I quite like Da Bossfist battalion.  I would easily use that one except for the cost.  It seems very overpriced.  It already has somewhat of a tax in the 2 Footbosses.  I could make that work since footbosses are quite decent apart from being slow, but 220 is just an absurd cost.

I feel like it would have been great if it was 1 MK + 1 Footboss + Significantly lower cost or just 2 Footbosses. As it is you are using alot of points for the batallion and 3 heroes. +1 attack is certainly no joke though.

Da Bossfist is solid, the prohibative thing isn't actually the 220 points, which is enormous, it's the 2-3 footboss.

Allegiance: Ironjawz

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (460)
- Boss Gore-hacka and Choppa
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (460)
- Boss Gore-hacka and Choppa
Orruk Megaboss (150)
Orruk Megaboss (150)
Orruk Warchanter (110)

Battleline
5 x Orruk Brutes (140)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (140)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (140)
- Pair of Brute Choppas

Battalions
Da Boss Fist (220)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 100 / 400
Wounds: 95

That's the 2k double cabbage bossfist list, which sucks because if you could get 2 in WC it would actually be good.

7 minutes ago, Kasper said:

I feel like it would have been great if it was 1 MK + 1 Footboss + Significantly lower cost or just 2 Footbosses. As it is you are using alot of points for the batallion and 3 heroes. +1 attack is certainly no joke though.

What it needed to be.

200 points
Dakkbad
2-5 Megaboss (Excluding Gordrakk)
2-3 Brutes

Because then you could run tripple mawkrusha and 15 brutes. Sure no Warchanters but TRIPPLE MAWKRUSHA in a 1drop!

I think I'd still run da choppas for any sort of build like that. The 300 point footboss tax is just to high.

Edited by Malakree
  • LOVE IT! 1