AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

6 hours ago, Chase said:

"But, but, Brutes are trash!"

Good going. Way to represent team green. Cheers bro! 

Do people say Brutes are trash? I'm pretty sure people just say they're mathematically inferior to Ardboys when you aren't fighting a lot of 4+ wound enemies, and that they have poor bravery. I don't think either of those statements are controversial, and neither of them prohibit Brutes from performing. 

Also Ardboys are one of the literal best battleline units in the entire game, so comparing SLIGHTLY unfavourably to them would still place Brutes in high tier.

16 minutes ago, NauticalSoup said:

Also Ardboys are one of the literal best battleline units in the entire game, so comparing SLIGHTLY unfavourably to them would still place Brutes in high tier.

Ehhh...mid tier. They lack the bravery, survivability or other abilities to be high tier.

17 minutes ago, NauticalSoup said:

Do people say Brutes are trash? I'm pretty sure people just say they're mathematically inferior to Ardboys when you aren't fighting a lot of 4+ wound enemies, and that they have poor bravery. I don't think either of those statements are controversial, and neither of them prohibit Brutes from performing. 

I mean, I personally say they are garbage. Bravery 6, 4+ save, no after saves and slow as hell is pretty awful. The only thing Brutes do is concentrate firepower in a small area.

Take his Ironjawz list though, swap the 10 Brutes with 6 GG's, the 5 Brutes with 5 Ardboys and I'd call it a way better list. Withouth having seen him play tho I can't be 100%

9 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Ehhh...mid tier. They lack the bravery, survivability or other abilities to be high tier.

I mean, I personally say they are garbage. Bravery 6, 4+ save, no after saves and slow as hell is pretty awful. The only thing Brutes do is concentrate firepower in a small area.

Take his Ironjawz list though, swap the 10 Brutes with 6 GG's, the 5 Brutes with 5 Ardboys and I'd call it a way better list. Withouth having seen him play tho I can't be 100%

So then your definition of 'garbage' is 'anything sub-optimal'. They compare unfavourably to Ardboys, obviously, but that's because of shoddy internal balancing - Ardboys, at their current points, are almost certainly undercosted for all the free extras they get. Even with the downsides though they can do the job, and better than similar units in other books - they just look way crappier standing next to a cheaper, more efficient unit that does the exact same job and is also battleline.

If you could take 'Brutes' as battleline in Stormcasts I imagine you'd see them in virtually every army.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, NauticalSoup said:

So then your definition of 'garbage' is 'anything sub-optimal'. They compare unfavourably to Ardboys, obviously, but that's because of shoddy internal balancing - Ardboys, at their current points, are almost certainly undercosted for all the free extras they get. Even with the downsides though they can do the job, and better than similar units in other books - they just look way crappier standing next to a cheaper, more efficient unit that does the exact same job and is also battleline.

They compare unfavourably to almost all good units. I'd easily take 10 savage orruks over 5 brutes.

The issue is they don't DO anything. They don't fit a role in the army and if everything was costed around them then I'd be going back to my gloomspite. The best comparison is Rockguts, they are considered ~mid tier and are the same points. 

1. Rockguts move faster
  2. Have a 5+ armour save but a 5++ after save (which is better)
  3. Can heal in the hero phase.
  4. Are about the same resistance to battleshock (but have the loonshrine immunity)
  5. Have a point click d3 mortal wound ability.
  6. Rockguts 6 attacks 3+/3+/-2/3 (6.6+/-3.5)
  7. Brutes 10 at 3+/3+/-1/1 and 7 at 4+/3+/-1/2 (6.1 +/-2.6)

Oh and Rockguts can fight over the top of each other for no penalty. As a unit Brutes are 100% dependent on the Ironjawz buffs to not be a mediocre overcosted warscroll, problem is those same buffs are equal or better on Ardboys, who are a solid warscroll at a good price, or GG's, who are an amazing warscroll at a great price.

42 minutes ago, NauticalSoup said:

If you could take 'Brutes' as battleline in Stormcasts I imagine you'd see them in virtually every army.

Aside from the fact that being able to deepstrike them would make them way better you do realise that stormcast are a bottom tier army atm?

EDIT: Oh and for reference, I would consider them garbage if they cost 90 points for 5. I'd play them because they are undercosted but I hate their warscroll so much.

Edited by Malakree

24 minutes ago, Malakree said:

They compare unfavourably to almost all good units. I'd easily take 10 savage orruks over 5 brutes.

The issue is they don't DO anything. They don't fit a role in the army and if everything was costed around them then I'd be going back to my gloomspite. The best comparison is Rockguts, they are considered ~mid tier and are the same points. 

1. Rockguts move faster
  2. Have a 5+ armour save but a 5++ after save (which is better)
  3. Can heal in the hero phase.
  4. Are about the same resistance to battleshock (but have the loonshrine immunity)
  5. Have a point click d3 mortal wound ability.
  6. Rockguts 6 attacks 3+/3+/-2/3 (6.6+/-3.5)
  7. Brutes 10 at 3+/3+/-1/1 and 7 at 4+/3+/-1/2 (6.1 +/-2.6)

Oh and Rockguts can fight over the top of each other for no penalty. As a unit Brutes are 100% dependent on the Ironjawz buffs to not be a mediocre overcosted warscroll, problem is those same buffs are equal or better on Ardboys, who are a solid warscroll at a good price, or GG's, who are an amazing warscroll at a great price.

Aside from the fact that being able to deepstrike them would make them way better you do realise that stormcast are a bottom tier army atm?

EDIT: Oh and for reference, I would consider them garbage if they cost 90 points for 5. I'd play them because they are undercosted but I hate their warscroll so much.

Was their old Warscroll better?

I remember a time when they took the shields away as a 6++ FNP from the ArdBoyz and suddenly they were shelved en masse and Brutes were king. Now it's flipped. Was their old Warscroll better? 

1 hour ago, Malakree said:

I was about to bash out a response but when I saw your edit I deleted it. There's no point in reasoning with you if you would waste all that time trying to prove your point just to cut your own legs out with such a silly comment.

Apparently, units that are incredibly strong for their points are also garbage? Maybe your definition of garbage is just things that are poorly designed? Whatever it means to you, it's something I wouldn't recognize. Carry on.

2 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

I remember a time when they took the shields away as a 6++ FNP from the ArdBoyz and suddenly they were shelved en masse and Brutes were king. Now it's flipped. Was their old Warscroll better? 

It's a couple things, I think.
1. Ardboyz and goregruntas used to be weaker than they are now, so brutes were stronger in a relative sense
2. Footbosses used to have an aura that gave brutes rerolling 1s to hit, I believe, which was at least hypothetically useful.
3. The brute boss's klaw and smasha used to be a much more intimidating weapon for a couple reasons. If the the klaw hit, all of the smasha's attacks were auto-hit. Combined with Ironjawz having more access to +1 attack abilities in the old book, you were able to stack attacks on the brute boss and make him a hero-killing sergeant. 

Imo, it's more an issue of other things getting buffed more than brutes than it is an issue of brutes being nerfed into the ground. They're mildly worse than before, probably, but GGs and Ardboyz are significantly better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NauticalSoup said:

Apparently, units that are incredibly strong for their points are also garbage? Maybe your definition of garbage is just things that are poorly designed? Whatever it means to you, it's something I wouldn't recognize. Carry on.

A warscroll can be garbage and undercosted. I guess we're actually hitting a terminology difference here rather than a real disagreement.

I call them garbage because they have a bad warscroll, I also call them overcosted because they aren't worth the points paid for that warscroll especially when taking the faction context into account. You're merging these terms together and thus slightly misinterpreting what I'm saying.

They need to drop 10/20 points because right now they are to close to the godscroll that is Goregruntas. That's what they are competing against not ardboys.

2 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

It's a couple if things. +1 hit is way worse than reroll hits, especially since we have boatloads of ways to give time +1 to hit. Excluding that largely irrelevant bonus they have no special rules, literally none. They are stat sticks with mediocre stats.

You also lost the klaw and smasha, that is such an unbelievable nerf on so many levels. Most obvious being that brutes no longer have -2 rend, so instead of being a unit designed to hack down large tough opponents they are now ardboys with no special rules and more attacks per model. The klaw/smasha also gave you two separate shots at landing your big hits, even on 6s if the klaw hits the two smasha attacks hit automatically. You essentially rolled once for all your attacks then rolled again if the first one missed.

In addition we lost the +attack stacking.  A brute boss with +4 attacks was a hero in it's own right. 5 attacks any one of which caused 6 auto hits at 3+/-2/d3 was insane.

So you've gone from a warscroll with several rules which interacted amazingly with other abilities to a blank warscroll that doesn't use the other abilities properly.

For example, one of the key differences is that brutes get 2 damage special weapons, problem is that they hit on 4s which gimps them. More importantly we have the Warchanter who gives +1 damage. The difference between mostly 1 damage and 2 damage is massive, the difference between mostly 2 damage and 3 damage is mediocre. To put this into perspective, with the Warchanter buff the average damage of a 4 attack brute is HIGHER than the average of a special weapon even if the special weapon is can spike more.

It means the end you have a blank warscroll, with some bad stats (3 wounds, 4" move, bravery 6 is horrific) special weapons that aren't much better than normal weapons and get relatively worse with the faction based buffs.

Honestly they needed 7 bravery, 3+ to hit on the specials or -2 rend on them. Oh and some actual abilities.

• Like 4

@Malakree I do agree with a lot of your findings. And I also deeply agree that brutes needed to be bravery 7 and get rerolls or something when Fighting 4+ wounds 

However, I could not rave more about brutes. And my local are certainly learning their  immense damage output. It’s quite insane. I feel they’re best taken in units of 10 or 15. I like to run 10 dual choppas and 15 hackas. They’re quite simply warheads that’ll mince anything they come in contact to (except Hearthguard lol but that was mainly insane dice rolls). You can get more of them in combat than Ardboys for the same cost AND they have more attacks going in AND their special weapons are utterly devastating AND their 3 wounds means any damage they take back requires quite a bit to make an impact into the unit. Yes their bravery sucks but that’s what cp is for or you just risk it lol

So yes, brutes could be better to make them more elite. But they’re certainly not garbage and are definitely worth their points. 

• Like 4

Hey!

So I’ll try and give a little rundown on some of the games and why I chose the units in the list.

TLDR: I think the book is fantastic and has some great tools.

Game 1:

Played against hermdar(?) fireslayers on border war with a big bunch of 20 hearthguard, a bunch of smaller vulkite units and characters. He deployed the big unit of hearthguard on one side going for the objectives, with vulkites central and on the other side of the board. I gave him turn one and then proceeded to alpha strike all the vulkites off the board with gruntas, krusha and teleported brutes, and tag the hearthguard in an awkward position where only a couple could make combat, taking three of the objectives including his. I then spent the rest of the game controlling the board and objectives and tagging the big unit awkwardly and was up by too many points from turn 3 to allow a comeback.

Game 2:

Played against shooty skaven in starstrike, pretty much spent the game chewing through screens until I could get to the juicy stuff and unleash the krusha. Sooo much stuff died that I only had the krusha and a few brutes remaining by the time I had cleaned up the army.

Game 3:

Hermdar fireslayers with 40 hearthguard in blood and glory. Tbh a really poor army to come up against in this mission as they could just sit on objectives and snipe a character and get a minor win. Had a few issues as he was playing the hermdar rules incorrectly as well as the mission rules, trying to pile in twice with his hearthguard before I attacked in my own turn. Ended up playing for the minor loss and got it with secondary etc.

Game 4:

More skaven in arcane places of power, 140 odd plague monks with plague furnaces. I ended up tagging the objectives and smashing the monks to pieces with gruntas and brutes, and had all three objectives from my turn 2 so was fairly comfortable on points. Made a few mistakes In this one, like forgetting to charge in his turn with gruntas that could have made the game really close, so was actually lucky to get away how I did.

Game 5:

This was a tough match up, essentially my own list with more ardboys in big waagh in escalation. I figured he would give me first turn, so I deployed it and went for a huge first turn. Teleported ardboys, ran gruntas to his face and deleted 5 brutes, 10 ardboys and 3 pigs in the first turn, which in turn were essentially deleted in return in his turn one, but it left his maw krusha of doom open. I got turn two priority, (as was the balance of probabilities), and got his krusha whilst keeping mine and controlling his objectives. Spent the rest of the game cleaning up his units and ignoring the buff characters so got well up on points with the major victory.

Game 6

My favorite game of the tournament, against a mate of mine who was running khorne with a bunch of screening hounds and reavers, 3 Bloodthirsters with 6” pile in, and skarbrand. Tried to destroy the screens and threw too much at them, lost priority so lost my ardboys and gruntas in turn two. I then had to have a few lucky things go my way to get back into the game, and get my big brute unit and the krusha to put in work. Made him use his Khorne Summoning points to dispel green puke on my brutes, but then Managed to get an 11” charge with the brutes into two bloodthirsters while the krusha smashed skarbrand. Great game.

Overall thoughts on the list and units:

Ironsunz is absolutely amazing, the ability to counter charge is good, but I think the psych out factor of it is even bigger.

I used waaagh in every game so didn’t regret making the krusha my general, and it saved me in the last game on the brutes to allow them to kill two thirsters.

Deploying the weirdnob at the back of the board with the teleport spell was also another great psych out, forced opponents to screen the sides which sometimes left gaps at the front or left them a bit vulnerable if they got double turned.

Everyone bashes brutes, but I like them for what they do. Getting 5 40ml bases into combat is all they need because of the 2”range, whereas I don’t think I got to fight with all 15 ardboys once in the tournament. They have such a huge damage output late game, and I had the big boss there so after first turn they weren’t just stuck being slow.

Warchanters are incredible, I’m preparing for a points increase.

Finally: I made the list looking for a triumph, and got one every game, 3 of which became command points and the others were super useful too. Rerolling all the save rolls on a maw krusha is epic.

Hopefully that gives some insight, might have got a bit lucky but had a great time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

Love the brute models so much!! I miss the old brute boss. 

I wish that brutes had a little something more.  Re-rolls, extra charge, the -2 rend we used to have... Better bravery is so needed!

Whenever I look at their warscroll, I keep feeling they should have the "Strength from Victory" rule.  (like megaboss)  This isn't the buff I'd want.   But it feels right.  It would probably be too much bookkeeping, but it could be fun.

27 minutes ago, Superninja said:

Love the brute models so much!! I miss the old brute boss. 

I wish that brutes had a little something more.  Re-rolls, extra charge, the -2 rend we used to have... Better bravery is so needed!

Whenever I look at their warscroll, I keep feeling they should have the "Strength from Victory" rule.  (like megaboss)  This isn't the buff I'd want.   But it feels right.  It would probably be too much bookkeeping, but it could be fun.

Bravery 7, Special weapons hitting on 3s, merge the two boss weapons to be the same thing so that it's an aesthetic choice not an equipment choice. Remove the stupid +1 hit rule and add two decent abilities to the warscroll. Even something like reroll charges would be a massive boost to them. 

Hell ****** the bravery 7. "Brutish Frenzy: At the end of any phase in which this unit killed an enemy model or damaged an enemy hero increase this units bravery characteristic by 1 until the start of your next hero phase."

"Duff Up Da Big Fings: At the end of any phase in which this unit dealt damage to an enemy model with a melee weapon and that model isn't slain roll a dice. If the result is less than the number of wounds that enemy model has remaining that enemy unit takes d3 mortal wounds."

There we go, two rules which are thematic, interesting and have positive scaling with the other parts of the book rather than negative. If you build your list into it you could potentially have +3 bravery at the end of your turn and +5 by the end of your opponents, while the other ability allows them to rip down high wound models but gets progressively less effective the less wounds the target the has. It also defines their role as separate from GG's/Ardboys.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

22 hours ago, Lanoss said:

So yes, brutes could be better to make them more elite. But they’re certainly not garbage and are definitely worth their points. 

I think its wrong to call Brutes "garbage", and it depends on how you use them. Ardboyz are incredible and offer a lot of versitility and imo. they are slightly better than Brutes, but that doesn't make Brutes "garbage".

• Like 3

hey guys, 

I got some IJ noob questions, maybe someone can help me out here. 

1. do you usually use the megaboss on mawcrusher or Gordrakk?

2. do you take the MBoMc as your general or one of the smaller heroes so you can bring the big boy in combat?

3. how do you arm your brutes best? Speaking of brutes, I like the models, I will field them and use them as monster/hero hunter right? It does seem smart to combine them with hand of gork?

4. Ardboyz banner - the +2 Bravery one seems a good choice, right?

5. is there a general tactic with which i can start with? I'm planning to use the MBoMc in 1500p game upwards, for smaller games I'm fielding the unmounted one. The core of the army are 2 units of ardboy 10-15 models and one unit of 6 GG. Ofcourse there will be 1-2 warchanters and one shaman. 

thx

Edited by Dolinarius

1 hour ago, Dolinarius said:

hey guys, 

I got some IJ noob questions, maybe someone can help me out here. 

1. do you usually use the megaboss on mawcrusher or Gordrakk?

2. do you take the MBoMc as your general or one of the smaller heroes so you can bring the big boy in combat?

3. how do you arm your brutes best? Speaking of brutes, I like the models, I will field them and use them as monster/hero hunter right? It does seem smart to combine them with hand of gork?

4. Ardboyz banner - the +2 Bravery one seems a good choice, right?

5. is there a general tactic with which i can start with? I'm planning to use the MBoMc in 1500p game upwards, for smaller games I'm fielding the unmounted one. The core of the army are 2 units of ardboy 10-15 models and one unit of 6 GG. Ofcourse there will be 1-2 warchanters and one shaman. 

thx

1. I prefer the normal Megaboss on Maw Krusha since you can give him a command trait and artefact if you go no-clan.

Gordrakk is awesome, but unfortunately he just isn't tanky enough and his extra damage against heroes is in my book worthless. Most tanky heroes got an extra save against Mortal Wounds, and heroes that don't have it are usually not tanky enough to withstand the damage from a normal Megaboss on Maw Krusha. Even against stuff like Archaon or Nagash, giving your normal guy a Metalrippers Klaw will put them at 5-6+ saves. Meanwhile he will also be a beast against tanky units. Alternatively you can make him super tanky with either Ignax Scales or Ethereal Amulet. 

2. Always the general - Giving him Brutish Cunning is amazing. Alternatively Ironclad if you go for Ignax Scales. 

3. Choppas usually unless you go for huge units (10-15), then you might want additional reach instead. I wouldn't pair them with Hand of Gork since getting a 8" charge is unlikely, unless you can proc "Mad as Hell". 

4. You can field 1 Glyph OR 1 Banner per 5 Ardboyz. So in a unit of 10 you can have both. In a unit of 15 you can have 2 Banners and 1 Glyph etc. If you fancy 5 man units I would prefer the Banner for +2 bravery rather than -1 to your opponent. 

5. Despite many thinking that Ironjawz is just an all-out/alpha/turn 1 charge army, I find that there are many ways you can play the army. If you just go all out in turn 1 I feel you really live or die at the mercy of the double turn roll-off. Ironjawz probably lend itself towards the more aggressive style, where as Big Waagh probably lends itself towards the slightly slower pace. 

On 1/29/2020 at 5:24 PM, Ravinsild said:

Long time since I last check in and we are still on the Brutes debate? funny :) 

I think they are better now, but the old warcroll was more fun (you had fun mechanic like the hit reroll and the Boss claw + smasha shenanigan).

I don't think garbage is a right word for them. For me garbage = throw away, meaning the warscroll is so vastly overcosted (that is you don't even get value of the printed warscroll stats to worth taking it) no matter the synergy. Aleguzzler is a good exemple of garbage.

Brutes have a pretty average warscroll, but you should expect them to hold their point value in combat. I would however call their warscroll has plain or flat. You basically get a bunch of combat stat with nothing more save a extra hit on bigger model. Brutes biggest asset is really frontage. Their damage ratio per area is high.

In fact i think the biggest problem with brutes is the role change. Before you wanted many small squad to get as many Brutes Boss as you could.
Now I would rather play Brutes as bigger squad of 15-20 model, probably with the 2" reach, to maximize buff effectiveness and reduce battleshock
vulnerability. 

That said, if you take @Brodylan list, he still took 9th place of a major event with 15 brutes in his list, so that's gotta prove something!

• Like 2

Taking the base of the list of the mate @Brodylan I came up with the following:

Allegiance: Ironjawz
- Warclan: Ironsunz
Mortal Realm: Hysh
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (460)
- General
- Boss Gore-hacka and Choppa
- Trait: Right Fist of Dakkbad
- Artefact: Sunzblessed Armour
- Mount Trait: Mean 'Un
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Warbeat: Killa Beat
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Warbeat: Killa Beat
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (110)
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch
- Lore of the Weird: Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork
6 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (320)
- Jagged Gore-hackas
10 x Orruk Brutes (280)
- Jagged Gore-hackas
- 2x Gore Choppas
15 x Orruk Ardboys (270)
- 1x Gorkamorka Banner Bearers
- 1x Gorkamorka Glyph Bearers
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
Ironfist (160)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 143

Why discuss GG/Ardboys/Brutes when you can have the best of all? The big unit of Brutes ready to be teleported + the huge movement of GGs and MK.

I even thought on split 1 of the unit of the Ardboys into 2x5 in order to grab objectives.

P.S. 4 CPs on turn 1 :)

Edited by Luzgurbel
  • Like 2

I had been debating for a very long time what color scheme I wanted and I finally settled on the Bloodtoofz/Evil Suns/Gouged Eye scheme of just red armor and so forth. 

I have 2 MBMK and 1 is assembled and 1 is not. I think the ones I built I may not paint but I want to sub assemble paint the other one. He will have red armor clearly with yellow highlights. 

what color would look good on his Maw-Krusha? White? Blue? Black? Red? 

red on red feels too much. White, Green and Red are complimentary. Blue might clash. Black is kind of basic. Could do a purple MK? Idk any suggestions? 

7 hours ago, Luzgurbel said:

Why discuss GG/Ardboys/Brutes when you can have the best of all? The big unit of Brutes ready to be teleported + the huge movement of GGs and MK.

I even thought on split 1 of the unit of the Ardboys into 2x5 in order to grab objectives.

I dont know if you mean to split the current 15 man squad of Ardboyz into further 5s or if you mean you already split a 10 into 2x5 - Just keep in mind only 10+ count as battleline.

Also fyi you get 1 banner or glyph per 5, so you have to choose in a 5 man squad.

Im personally not a fan of teleporting such a huge unit of Brutes. Rolling a 8+ on 2 dice is rather risky, and if they fail the charge you likely wont have a hero around to reroll it, meaning they will be stranded and die to a countercharge.

If I teleport a unit, I want to pretty much ensure it gets into combat, hence why I pick the MK, GGs (Ironfist champ) or Ardboyz as the target.

5 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

red on red feels too much. White, Green and Red are complimentary. Blue might clash. Black is kind of basic. Could do a purple MK? Idk any suggestions? 

With the introduction of mount traits, you can really draw inspiration from that. With Weird ‘un you could always make up some fluff that he ate a Lord of Change from Tzeentch which would explain that his skin/scales turned into some funky color. 😅

14 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

what color would look good on his Maw-Krusha? White? Blue? Black? Red? 

Honestly you can get away with anything as long as you're careful. These are mine and you can see that despite still being blue the cabbage stands out.

One thing I would say is pick something bright for the MK spines around the fist/face and down the back, they frame the model and stop it from being a single colour block.

In your case having a dark red/black cabbage with yellow spines should help it stand out if you wanted.

20190319_161034.jpg

20190319_161051.jpg

20190319_161110.jpg