AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Anyone else been toying around with Big Waagh alligiance? It honestly feels alot stronger than Ironjawz and I dont really miss Smashing and Bashing as much as I thought I would.

Im not even dabbling into the Bonesplitterz, besides a single caster to get access to their fight last spell. Everything hitting on 2’s, wounding on 2’s, with an army wide 6++ ontop is honestly so good.

I have never been a fan of the alphastrike gameplay, so I guess thats why this alligiance speaks alot more to me. It rewards a slower/tactical gameplay for sure.

• Like 1

I am looking into making the most out of the combat phase while stil bringing mortal wounds for taking out hordes and support heroes. 

The warboss with banner will buff the boys to 11 but I get it that people will recommend not bringing him. 

The plan is to keep the gruntas in the back field to stop teleports while still be in range for triggering a pile and attack with ardboys that are in combat. 

Whats your thoughts? 

Allegiance: Big Waaagh!

Leaders

Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (110)

- General

- Trait: Bursting with Power

- Artefact: Shamanic Skullcape

- Lore of the Weird: Wrath of Gork and Big great hand of Gork 

Orruk Warboss (140)

- Great Waaagh Banner

Orruk Warchanter (110)

- Warbeat: Fixin' Beat

Orruk Warchanter (110)

- Warbeat: Get 'Em Beat

Orruk Warchanter (110)

Wurrgog Prophet (160)

- Artefact: Mork's Boney Bitz

- Lore of the Savage Beast: Gorkamorka's War Cry

Battleline

15 x Orruk Ardboys (270)

15 x Orruk Ardboys (270)

10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)

10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)

3 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (160)

- Pig-iron Choppas

Battalions

Ironfist (160)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs

Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000

Extra Command Points: 1

Allies: 0 / 400

Wounds: 152

I've got a double tournament coming up, 2x1k for each team. Has anyone had success with any particular 1k lists? I've got two ideas right now, basically mawkrusha vs. non-mawkrusha:

Allegiance: Ironjawz
- Warclan: Ironjawz
Mortal Realm: Aqshy
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (460)
- General
- Boss Gore-hacka and Choppa
- Trait: Ironclad
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales
- Mount Trait: Mean 'Un
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Warbeat: Get 'Em Beat
5 x Orruk Brutes (140)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
15 x Orruk Ardboys (270)

Total: 980 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 66

- Warclan: Ironjawz
Orruk Megaboss (150)
- General
- Trait: Brutish Cunning

- Artefact: Metalrippa's Klaw
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Warbeat: Get 'Em Beat
6 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (320)
- Pig-iron Choppas
10 x Orruk Brutes (280)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 83

I feel that an ironclad-ignax mawkrusha may be one if, not the biggest single model in the tournament. Otherwise, the option is probably a brutish cunning footboss. Much more well-rounded, and 6 GGs can fill a similar role to a mawkrusha anyway.

On 12/28/2019 at 9:50 AM, Lanoss said:

I’ve been playing with an IJ Big Waaaagh with great success. S&B is missed but the 2+/2+ is just insanely good

Ive been playing a foot Big Waaaagh but am looking at moving to a dual Krusha Waaaagh. Similar to the above 2nd list 

Seconded, it's honestly a joke for me how often one of my krushas just whiffs all his hacka attacks on the t1 3+3+ charge, once the 2+2+ hits he's an absolute murderball.

19 hours ago, Gibs said:

Has anyone had an experience running a Gore-fist battalion list?

I've been running one for a bit , this is the list I'm settled on. Potentially 5 CP turn 1. 

Plus one to cast on the Weirdnob mean you can buff the Pigs send them up the board 27" turn one. MawCrusha 24" Hand of Gork the Ardboys who get +3 to charge and go super aggressive. 

But also has a lot of wounds with 4+ save and mobility for later game

Allegiance Iron Jaws (Iron Sunz) 

Megaboss on MawCrusha 

Mean un, Right fist of Dakabad, Sunblessed Armour

Weirdnob Shaman

Great Big hand of Gork, Shamanic Skullcap

War Chanta x 2

Fungoid Shaman 

6 x Gore Gruntaz 

3 x Gore Gruntaz 

3 x Gore Gruntaz 

15 x Ard Boys

Skuttle tide

Gorefist

Extra CP

On 12/28/2019 at 1:25 AM, Kasper said:

Anyone else been toying around with Big Waagh alligiance? It honestly feels alot stronger than Ironjawz and I dont really miss Smashing and Bashing as much as I thought I would.

Im not even dabbling into the Bonesplitterz, besides a single caster to get access to their fight last spell. Everything hitting on 2’s, wounding on 2’s, with an army wide 6++ ontop is honestly so good.

I have never been a fan of the alphastrike gameplay, so I guess thats why this alligiance speaks alot more to me. It rewards a slower/tactical gameplay for sure.

Almost exactly what I'm playing right now. Big Waagh w/ all IJ except for one Wurgog. 

Your observations about the trade-offs are pretty much inline with my thinking as well. 2+/2+ Goregruntas w/ warchanter is one of the scariest hammer units in the game. 'Ardboyz punch way above their points cost in Big Waaagh, both offensively and defensively (most of my lists are 'ardfists which probably ties into my thoughts on their defensive prowess).

The real gamechanger that I didn't really anticipate is the inclusion of Zap Em!  +2 to cast either teleport from weirdnob, the horde nuke or fights last from the Wurgogg is absolutely massive. 

7 hours ago, Andrew G said:

Almost exactly what I'm playing right now. Big Waagh w/ all IJ except for one Wurgog. 

Your observations about the trade-offs are pretty much inline with my thinking as well. 2+/2+ Goregruntas w/ warchanter is one of the scariest hammer units in the game. 'Ardboyz punch way above their points cost in Big Waaagh, both offensively and defensively (most of my lists are 'ardfists which probably ties into my thoughts on their defensive prowess).

The real gamechanger that I didn't really anticipate is the inclusion of Zap Em!  +2 to cast either teleport from weirdnob, the horde nuke or fights last from the Wurgogg is absolutely massive. 

Yep the Zap Em! is really great too. I won a game the other day because I sacrificed D6 pts to give shaman +2, resulted in me getting a teleport spell off on the Maw Krusha - Sent it outside of 12, used his Brutish Cunning to sit outside of 3” of his unit.

What list have you been running with? I really want to include a Wurrgog and Balewind.

7 hours ago, Kasper said:

Yep the Zap Em! is really great too. I won a game the other day because I sacrificed D6 pts to give shaman +2, resulted in me getting a teleport spell off on the Maw Krusha - Sent it outside of 12, used his Brutish Cunning to sit outside of 3” of his unit.

What list have you been running with? I really want to include a Wurrgog and Balewind.

Allegiance: Big Waaagh!
Mortal Realm: Hysh
Orruk Megaboss (150)
- General
- Trait: Brutish Cunning
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch
Wurrgog Prophet (160)
- Artefact: Mork's Boney Bitz
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Gorkamorka's War Cry
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (110)
- Lore of the Weird: Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
15 x Orruk Ardboys (270)
15 x Orruk Ardboys (270)
15 x Orruk Ardboys (270)
6 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (320)
- Pig-iron Choppas
Ardfist (120)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 158

I could drop 5'ardboyz to fit in some techy stuff like balewind/portal but it has been serving me well so far. I'm not usually using Zap Em! until turn 2 at the earliest anyway to secure the +1 hit +1 wound and 6+FnP. Which usually allows my Wurgogg to close into range before I start unleashing +3 or +4 to cast (if they have 2 monsters within 24") spells. 

I've considered adding a wardock as well to add another +1, but the wizards are really not the driving force of the army and I don't want to give up any of my existing hero slots to fit him in. 

New idea for a 1k list:

- Warclan: Choppas
Mortal Realm: Aqshy
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- General
- Trait: Checked Out
- Artefact: Thermalrider Cloak
- Warbeat: Killa Beat
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (110)
- Lore of the Weird: Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork
10 x Orruk Brutes (280)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
15 x Orruk Ardboys (270)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Wounds: 92

The weirdnob could honestly be replaced with a get em beat WC, too. Either way, you should have 2-3 VF'd units per turn, which is a lot of raw damage for the points. Checked Out helps to deal with brutes' poor leadership, and he'll likely be in range with killa beat thanks to the cloak.

@Andrew G How much use are you getting out of the Megaboss on foot? I guess you mainly use the Brutish Cunning to have him move 8” a turn? I havent tried the foot guy myself, but could imagine the points being spent better elsewhere which would also unlock a more useful trait. Normally im a huge fan of BC, but on a more mobile hero like the Maw Krusha.

39 minutes ago, Kasper said:

@Andrew G How much use are you getting out of the Megaboss on foot? I guess you mainly use the Brutish Cunning to have him move 8” a turn? I havent tried the foot guy myself, but could imagine the points being spent better elsewhere which would also unlock a more useful trait. Normally im a huge fan of BC, but on a more mobile hero like the Maw Krusha.

The Footboss is there because big waaagh! doesn't have access to mighty destroyers normally. Since only a Megaboss general, or Ironfist boss, can bring it having the cheapest one makes more sense.

In this situation I'd be very surprised if they MD was ever used on the footboss, especially since the boss is kitted out as a utility piece not a combat piece. Personally I'd be expecting the Footboss to make 5 run moves over the course of the game 😆

What @Malakree said.  It's pretty much just a bonus if he gets into combat and spends most of his time running to where I anticipate he'll be needed. 

He mostly just sticks around behind the 'ardboyz units to threaten MD if they don't kill the majority of the unit and were hoping to pin me in place.  That, and threatening an 18" move on the GGs makes the list surprisingly responsive to teleporting hammer units, capitalizing on openings, etc., etc.

40 minutes ago, Malakree said:

The Footboss is there because big waaagh! doesn't have access to mighty destroyers normally. Since only a Megaboss general, or Ironfist boss, can bring it having the cheapest one makes more sense.

In this situation I'd be very surprised if they MD was ever used on the footboss, especially since the boss is kitted out as a utility piece not a combat piece. Personally I'd be expecting the Footboss to make 5 run moves over the course of the game 😆

Makes sense, I was just worried he wouldnt really keep up with the pigs. I guess it depends on how aggressive you are with them.

55 minutes ago, Kasper said:

Makes sense, I was just worried he wouldnt really keep up with the pigs. I guess it depends on how aggressive you are with them.

I would have to write-up a whole post about how I think you should play this type of Big Waaagh! list to give the full picture but, the short of it is you're mostly sitting the pigs in a central, protected location with your casters, footboss, and the 'ardfist warchanter so you can respond quickly to whatever 'ardboy unit they eventually are forced to plow into as you creep up the board.  I'm really not playing aggressive with them until T2 or T3.

30 minutes ago, Andrew G said:

I would have to write-up a whole post about how I think you should play this type of Big Waaagh! list to give the full picture but, the short of it is you're mostly sitting the pigs in a central, protected location with your casters, footboss, and the 'ardfist warchanter so you can respond quickly to whatever 'ardboy unit they eventually are forced to plow into as you creep up the board.  I'm really not playing aggressive with them until T2 or T3.

Sounds alot like how I play my list. Im using 4x10 and a Maw Krusha instead. Im looking into getting more boyz and potentially running Ardfist too. Those souped up boyz really punch above their points cost.

1 hour ago, Andrew G said:

Sounds very much like how I played my three games the other day. Had 3 pigs strategically in the back line to counter stuff. Instead of the fotboss I used warboss with banner which is totally bonkers. Look in the Warclans thread for my battle reports.

On 1/1/2020 at 8:12 AM, Skumbaagh said:

Sounds very much like how I played my three games the other day. Had 3 pigs strategically in the back line to counter stuff. Instead of the fotboss I used warboss with banner which is totally bonkers. Look in the Warclans thread for my battle reports.

Love what the Boss Banner Orruk does - the extra attacks and re-rolls are brilliant. That being said, a Mighty Destroyers has freed up so many units from combat at the start of my turns - possible to get both?!

56 minutes ago, VonSmall said:

Love what the Boss Banner Orruk does - the extra attacks and re-rolls are brilliant. That being said, a Mighty Destroyers has freed up so many units from combat at the start of my turns - possible to get both?!

yes with the ironfist with a gruntaboss or bruteboss. In the few games I have played I have kept the ironfist gruntaboss behind my frontal ardboys screen to trigger a hero phase attack or to move them an extra 4 inch.

On 12/31/2019 at 5:12 PM, Skumbaagh said:

I didn't really consider using the banner boss... actually a great idea.

I think the trade off for Megaboss Brutish Cunning + 'ardfist might be worth it for Banner Boss + Ironfist + different command trait.

Then again, it's still 30 points more, which basically equates to sacrificing a unit as well. I'd have to mess around with the points a bit, but I think it's worth a try.

• Like 1

Rules question about Mighty Destroyers charging and fighting later in the turn.

The core rules say that a unit is eligible to fight+pile in if it is within 3" of an enemy unit or if it made a charge move in the same turn. So, if we make a charge with MD in the hero phase, we've fulfilled that second requirement, right? So, a unit could hypothetically be MD'd to charge into an enemy unit in the hero phase, then retreat (and run, hypothetically) in the following movement phase (moving you within 3-4 inches of another enemy unit), and then pile in 3" and fight with that unit later in the turn. Is this correct?

I can't see a reason why this wouldn't be the case. If this works, I'm just imagining the huge threat range that this gives a cabbage. If you spend 2 CP (one to MD the MK, one to run 6), you can charge the MK up to a screen and then retreat 18" across the screen and into their backline, still fighting at the end of the turn.

Sorry if this is already known - I just came across it for the first time

I have a tournament next week. The last list I used was a bit meaty in bodies but didn't have enough punch. The Maw Krusha should take care of that:

Allegiance: Ironjawz - Mortal Realm: Ghur - Warclan: Ironjawz

LEADERS Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (460) - General - Command Trait : Brutish Cunning
Boss Choppa and Rip-tooth fist - Artefact : Metalrippa's Klaw - Mount Trait : Weird 'Un
Orruk Megaboss (150) - Artefact : Gryph-feather Charm
Orruk Warchanter (110) - Warbeat : Get 'Em Beat
Orruk Warchanter (110) - Warbeat : Fixin' Beat
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (110) - Lore of the Weird : Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork
Madcap Shaman (80) - Allies

UNITS
3 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (160) - Pig-iron Choppas
3 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (160) - Pig-iron Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (140) - Pair of Brute Choppas
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)

BATTALIONS Ironfist (160)

TOTAL: 2000/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1 WOUNDS: 129 LEADERS: 6/6 BATTLELINES: 5 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 1/4 ARTEFACTS: 2/2 ALLIES: 80/400