AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

9 minutes ago, tolstedt said:

It would be a possible fix to add an errata "You may never have more than five units of 'ardboyz in this battalion on the battlefield."

Gz you made it "Slightly" less user friendly.

Allegiance: Big Waaagh!
Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (110)
- General
- Trait: Dead Kunnin'
- Artefact: Great Green Visions
- Lore of the Weird: Wrath of Gork
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch
- Warbeat: Fixin' Beat
Wurrgog Prophet (160)
- Artefact: Glowin' Tattooz
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Gorkamorka's War Cry
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Allies
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Allies

Battleline
3 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (160)
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas

Units
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)

Battalions
Ardfist (120)
Ardfist (120)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Allies: 180 / 400
Wounds: 138

Now I'll have to Green puke 2 understrength Ardboy units, that way when the first is full I move onto the second.

EDIT: Hell even this list to make sure you get the double puke.

Spoiler

Leaders
- General
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Wurrgog Prophet (160)
- Artefact: Glowin' Tattooz
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Wurrgog Prophet (160)
Wurrgog Prophet (160)

Battleline
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)

Units
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)

Battalions
Ardfist (120)
Ardfist (120)

Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 139

Edited by Malakree

i would use something like this. Stupid but still not that stupid

Spoiler

Allegiance: Ironjawz
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (460)
- Boss Gore-hacka and Choppa
- General
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
6 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (320)
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (140)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
Ardfist (120)
Ironfist (160)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Wounds: 127

use  1 ardboys, puke twice on him, then summon 40-50 and put them. Add another weirnob and/or use shamanic skull cape for more consistency.

You start with 120 life, if you succed you have 200+ and deep strike potentiel. And you still have a relativly "normal' army

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, broche said:

i would use something like this. Stupid but still not that stupid

use  1 ardboys, puke twice on him, then summon 40-50 and put them. Add another weirnob and/or use shamanic skull cape for more consistency.

You start with 120 life, if you succed you have 200+ and deep strike potentiel. And you still have a relativly "normal' army

Honestly I think there are two routes with it. You either go all in on the stupid or you don't run stupid at all instead going with a "normal" style ardfist.

Trying to do both just leaves you with a version of the stupid list which is less likely to go off.

In your case you're averaging 2-6 on the first turn with maybe 2 units over the rest of the game but no CPs for things like mighty destroyers. 

My list is putting down 4-8 turn 1 and another ~2 every turn. When you look at the difference between the two after that. You have a mawkrusha and 3 Goregruntas. I have a wurgog, 3 fungoids and 5 extra brutes. 

If you avoid going for the abusive side you can put down something which is going to play a way more "fair" game and has the Ardfist as a option not a strategy.

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (460)
- General
- Boss Gore-hacka and Choppa
- Trait: Brutish Cunning
- Artefact: Daubing of Mork
- Mount Trait: Weird 'Un
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)

Battleline
15 x Orruk Ardboys (270)
15 x Orruk Ardboys (270)
- Pig-iron Choppas

Units
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)

Battalions
Ardfist (120)

Extra Command Point (50)

Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 143

I honestly have a hard time seeing Ardfist being worthwhile at all. We are so starved for CPs between Ironsunz CA and Mighty Destroyers to move/fight in hero phase etc., that spending CPs to bring Ardboyz units onto the board is probably worse than having a proper list where you buff your current units and spend CPs to fight in the combat phase etc.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Kasper said:

I honestly have a hard time seeing Ardfist being worthwhile at all. We are so starved for CPs between Ironsunz CA and Mighty Destroyers to move/fight in hero phase etc., that spending CPs to bring Ardboyz units onto the board is probably worse than having a proper list where you buff your current units and spend CPs to fight in the combat phase etc.

Waaiit for it!

(incoming math from Malakree)

Also, with that many ardboys you really dont need to fight in the hero phase.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kasper said:

I think Ardfist is not the best match with ironsunz honestly. But it's certainly the most potent bataillion we have IMO. Of course it's all theory because i doubt I'll ever play it due to the insane amount of Ardboys needed.

Still fact is, summoning mechanic are quite powerfull. It doesnt prevent you from using Mighty destroyer. It just give you the extra ability to convert each CP. A lot of current top army have no mean of sniping him. 

Mighty destroyer is a powerful ability, but kind of has 'win more tag'. Meaning if you are able to activate it 2-3 time, that mean you still have model on the table and probably in pretty good shape overall. On the other hand,
let say your sitting with 3 CP (and obviously the brooch) and get double turned against Slanesh loosing a big chunk of your army, I'll clearly spend 3-4 command point to try to bring 10-20 more ardboys. 
CP will resplendish quickly enough on your turn anyway.

If you drop the Maw Krusha (which I think is the best option for the most competitive army), It's not that hard to fit both an Ironfist and a Ardfist (until Ardfist get FAQ'ed). You can then have the best of both world. 
Use small squad of ardboys to screen and die, support them with nearby squad of Brutes to counterattack, and some gruntas for hammer.

You can start with something like this:

Spoiler

- General
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Pig-iron Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (140)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (140)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
Ardfist (120)
Ironfist (160)

Total: 1590 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 114

use dead kunning, great green vision and aetherquartz brooch. Fill the remaining 400 pts with what suit you and I'm pretty sure you'll have good result. 

The posibility to countercharge and the -1 in the first BR makes the ironsunz my goto choice. 

Gorefist to push up the board asap and cogs for those table edge deployments.

Gravetide and 10 ardboys to get the green puke off on one poor sod. 

7 drops

Got 70 ardboys painted and good to go! Probably enough for the first turn anyway =D

- Warclan: Ironsunz

- General
- Lore of the Weird: Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Warbeat: Killa Beat
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Artefact: Lens of Refraction
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Allies
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Allies
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Allies
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas

Ardfist (120)
Gorefist (130)
Extra Command Point (50)
Chronomantic Cogs (80)
Suffocating Gravetide (20)

Allies: 270 / 400
Wounds: 130

1 hour ago, Vasshpit said:

So it's looking like everyone is choosing ardboys over brutes, eh?

That's soo sad...

GW should have dropped those models when Ironjawz first dropped. 

They're great, dont get me wrong, but I can't help but feel that this is wrong in some way... 🤔

I feel like Brutes should be 120 pts like Hearthguard Beserkers at the moment. Also wish Brutes made enemy units -1 bravery moreso than Arsboyz banner. I mean they're big ol mean Brutes.

For 20 pts more you can get the vastly better Gore-Gruntas. 

Need less expensive unit? Unit of 5 ardboyz then. I just dont understand what role Brutes have in the current IJ army that cant be done better elsewhere which depresses me greatly since Brutes are what drew me to IJ in the first place.

Also is it just me or do Brutes have the most boring Warscroll in the game,  especially for an "elite" unit. 

Sorry for the rant fest just want Brutes to get some love :(

Edited by ShaneHobbes
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The big problem I have with Brutes is the same ones I've always had.

1. Bravery 6
  2. Low model count
  3. Bravery 6
  4. Super vulnerable to battleshock
  5. Bravery 6
  6. Slow but unlike Ardboys doesn't have a random +2 to charge
  7. Bravery 6
  8. The same as Ardboys in terms of buffs
  9. .....
  10. Lower survivability due to not having shields
  11. .....
  12. Bravery 6
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 3

7 minutes ago, Malakree said:

The big problem I have with Brutes is the same ones I've always had.

1. Bravery 6
  2. Low model count
  3. Bravery 6
  4. Super vulnerable to battleshock
  5. Bravery 6
  6. Slow but unlike Ardboys doesn't have a random +2 to charge
  7. Bravery 6
  8. The same as Ardboys in terms of buffs
  9. .....
  10. Lower survivability due to not having shields
  11. .....
  12. Bravery 6

If they were just bravery 7.

Also I'd love for them to have an ability like where I'd they kill a model in the combat phase they get to reroll their battleshock test, or maybe even make them immune if they kill a certain number of models.

Something than just a situational and boring +1 to hit

1 hour ago, ShaneHobbes said:

I feel like Brutes should be 120 pts like Hearthguard Beserkers at the moment. Also wish Brutes made enemy units -1 bravery moreso than Arsboyz banner. I mean they're big ol mean Brutes.

For 20 pts more you can get the vastly better Gore-Gruntas. 

Need less expensive unit? Unit of 5 ardboyz then. I just dont understand what role Brutes have in the current IJ army that cant be done better elsewhere which depresses me greatly since Brutes are what drew me to IJ in the first place.

Also is it just me or do Brutes have the most boring Warscroll in the game,  especially for an "elite" unit. 

Sorry for the rant fest just want Brutes to get some love :(

Honestly. The changes that Brutes need are

1. Bravery 7.
  2. 3+ Save
  3. Some sort of special rule to increase their mobility. 
    "If the unmodified charge roll for a unit of Brutes is less than a 7, increase it to 7"
  4. -2 Rend

Any 2 of the above would make them much better.

Then again I'm of the opinion that Mad as Hell should have read.

At the end of any phase, if any wounds or mortal wounds have been inflicted in that phase on an Ironjawz unit that is more than 9" from any enemy units, that Ironjawz unit can move d6". In addition while any Ironjawz unit is within 9" of an enemy unit it has a Bravery Characteristic of 10.

That and -2 Rend would make Brutes worth it. They become the slow moving hammer compared to the speed of GG's and the sturdiness of Ardboys.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

13 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Honestly. The changes that Brutes need are

1. Bravery 7.
  2. 3+ Save
  3. Some sort of special rule to increase their mobility. 
    "If the unmodified charge roll for a unit of Brutes is less than a 7, increase it to 7"
  4. -2 Rend

Any 2 of the above would make them much better.

Then again I'm of the opinion that Mad as Hell should have read.

That and -2 Rend would make Brutes worth it. They become the slow moving hammer compared to the speed of GG's and the sturdiness of Ardboys.

All we have to do is wait 2-4 years for GW to update Ironjawz warscrolls again.  :|

• Haha 1
  • Sad 3

If Brutes got a “If any models from this unit flee and the Boss from the Unit is  alive, instead, inflict D3 mortal wounds onto the unit and no models flee as the Boss thumps the cowardly Orruk back into the fight”

THAT... would make them amazing

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Incredebilis said:

Do 5 Brutes do better than 10 Ardboys against something with >4 wounds or are they worse there as well?

Yes but to be honest the average damage of Brutes compared to Ardboyz isn't very significant even against an enemy with 4+ wounds. Combine that with Ardboyz utility of their banners and drums and being even more resisilant because of shields... 

Honestly i don't think there is much to rant right now about Brutes except the fact that their warscroll is a bit boring (and that they have 6 bravery)

What do you guys think of Fast'un? I'm starting to think that if I use the Maw Krusha, I might go for less damage and more mobility. With Fast'un and gryph feather charm for exemple is not a bad mix. The +3'' become +6'' with Migthy destroyer.  Treath range like artillery!

Edited by broche
  • LOVE IT! 1

9 minutes ago, ShaneHobbes said:

Yes but to be honest the average damage of Brutes compared to Ardboyz isn't very significant even against an enemy with 4+ wounds. Combine that with Ardboyz utility of their banners and drums and being even more resisilant because of shields... 

Brutes do significantly more damage than ardboys. around 35% without hit bonus or 70% with it (15 ardboys vs 10 brutes) 

Ardboys do get more utility rule (bravery buff/debuff, shield, charge bonus). 

Brutes might get better if the new tomb king become more prevalent (they have lot of 4+ wound Nasty unit that you need to one shot or they come back)

I've won the last 3 games against my friend and he is not happy.  He thinks we are completely OP now.  Granted, I've run some pretty 'serious' lists, but we don't have a ton of variety.   (Going to go for less command point creation/recursion next time)

Warchanters are crazy good.  The end.

Edited by Superninja
  • Haha 1

I would like to run a list that can summon extra bodies through ardfist but also has a few other tricks up its sleeve. Some punch with Brutes and Goregruntas and a magical battery powered by an Rogue Idol (who can also smash face). Starts the game with up to 4 CP (2 guaranteed) and can propel a unit of ardboyz with hand of gork into a suicidal charge. Until then, they act as batteries for Wrath of Gork. What do others think?

Leaders
- General
- Trait: Bursting with Power
Wurrgog Prophet (160)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Warbeat: Get 'Em Beat
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Allies
Battleline
5 x Orruk Brutes (140)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- 1x Gore Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (140)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- 1x Gore Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
Units
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
- 1x Gorkamorka Banner Bearers
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
Behemoths
Rogue Idol (400)

Battalions
Ardfist (120)

Scuttletide (30)

Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 90 / 400
Wounds: 135

15 hours ago, broche said:

I think Ardfist is not the best match with ironsunz honestly. But it's certainly the most potent bataillion we have IMO. Of course it's all theory because i doubt I'll ever play it due to the insane amount of Ardboys needed.

Still fact is, summoning mechanic are quite powerfull. It doesnt prevent you from using Mighty destroyer. It just give you the extra ability to convert each CP. A lot of current top army have no mean of sniping him. 

Mighty destroyer is a powerful ability, but kind of has 'win more tag'. Meaning if you are able to activate it 2-3 time, that mean you still have model on the table and probably in pretty good shape overall. On the other hand,
let say your sitting with 3 CP (and obviously the brooch) and get double turned against Slanesh loosing a big chunk of your army, I'll clearly spend 3-4 command point to try to bring 10-20 more ardboys. 
CP will resplendish quickly enough on your turn anyway.

I don't see Mighty Destroyers as a "win more" ability at all, but I think the "issue" is that most of us have played Ironjawz as an alphastrike list that can't take a lot of punch. After having watched Leo Rautonen play his Ironjawz vs Slaanesh, I could certainly see a much slower and defensive playstyle with tons of Ardboyz where you let your opponent get the double turn and you sort of rely on your opponent to charge you, then countercharge important hammer units with Ironsunz CA and when your turn rolls around you have a load of stuff locked in combat during the hero phase and ready to smash.

Edited by Kasper
  • LOVE IT! 1