AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

7 hours ago, TALegion said:

So, if I'm interpreting this correctly, we're still able to bring and use the bannerboss in IJ and Big Waaagh lists? Of course we can't stack Waaaghs now, but that's much better than the alternative of not being able to bring the boss at all. It might still have potential if you stick it with a couple units of ardboyz, brutes, and WCs moving up the board.

You cant bring him in an Ironjawz alligiance list, only Big Waaagh.

Edited by Kasper

6 hours ago, Newtype_Zero said:

What? The Pitched Battle profile pretty clearly says "Battleline in Ironjawz or Big Waaagh! army if unit has 10 or models." What is ambiguous about that? It's most likely an error on WSB's part as the book and Azyr don't recognize units of 5 as Battleline for either army.

Yeah I dont see how that is ambiguous at all. I read it as the condition for being battleline in the 2 specific alligiances is if you have 10 or more models.

Edited by Kasper

Just been on Warscroll builder and it says the following for Ard Boys

Ironjawz Battleline or Big Waaagh! Battleline (Big Waaagh! requires 10 or more models)

Seems pretty cut and dry now. Always battleline for Ironjawz, Big Waaagh needs 10 for them to be battleline.

2 minutes ago, VonSmall said:

Just been on Warscroll builder and it says the following for Ard Boys

Ironjawz Battleline or Big Waaagh! Battleline (Big Waaagh! requires 10 or more models)

Seems pretty cut and dry now. Always battleline for Ironjawz, Big Waaagh needs 10 for them to be battleline.

That’s how I interpret as well. The wording in the book isn’t ambiguous to me at all. It’s battleline for Ironjawz or Waaagh in units of 10. 

Played a few more games and it proved my thoughts about the book again, as I crushed a legion of Azghor player, despite some poor luck on my part I still managed to crunch through it all, thanks to smashin and bashin and warchanter buffs.

My lost games so far has been against Slaanesh, especially in smaller meeting engagement games, I found myself without the bodies or tools to do much, while my opponent had a KoS stand behind a line of 2x20 marauders, poking over them with his 2" reach and removing marauders in the back as needed, while keeping control of the center objective.

He also managed turn 2 to cast the mirror endless spell at my table half, so my forces had to take d3 MWs every time they wanted to move closer to the center objective and to make matters worse he placed it next to my megaboss on foot, rolling 3 sixes and killing him with 9 MWs... I managed to deal 12 wounds in 1 combat to the KoS, only because 1 unit of brutes went first against demonettes and I got a smashin and bashin of so my other unit did not fight last anyway against the KoS. After that he proceeded to just table me.

I suspected having no chance against a well played Slaanesh force, if your opponent is crafty and knows his stuff, there is very little to do, as I only got that 1 combat of due to him being cocky. The 3 KoS tournament setups will probably be a gatekeeper for Ironjawz, so doubt we see many nr. 1 IJ at events, however IJ will bash most other armies which are not on top of the activation wars, as Ironjawz can deal the pain, but not really take it.

I am however already sort of bored with the book, so few units and so few options. I still find all the clans kind of bad and even worse boring. General traits have 2 good ones and also only a few worthwhile artifacts. It all makes it very samey unless you just go for random or for the lols. Just looking at the upcoming Ogor book it seems they get a truly combined force, a new hero model, terrain etc, Orruks is just a minimum effort piece and I will probably keep the army as a backup army, and everyone is already bored of playing with or against it here...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Scurvydog said:

<Snip>

I think Ironjawz has a real good chance against Slaanesh, at least a much better chance than most other combat forces simply due to Smashing and Bashing and Ironsunz ability to charge in after the Locus of Diversion has been resolved. I'm pretty sure a Maw Krusha can pound the Keeper into the dirt, if you manage to do the Ironsunz trick or wipe another unit and cause SnB. Alternatively it might be worth giving your Maw Krusha the doppelgangers cloak to deny him hitting you first - That's how other melee armies usually combat the Keeper or Terrorgeist.

It sounds like you are just tired of your green boyz. The book is at its all time high in terms of its choices, options and power (one round of like +10 Waaagh stacks from the previous book is hard to beat, but before it was wet noodle for the entire game, only to punch real hard for 1 turn, and then back to useless, compared to now where you are a massive threat from turn 1 = Thats a plus in my book). The army was super monotone previously, so I don't get why you got more tired of the army now.

In regards to your specific game against Slaanesh, it obviously doesn't help the case that he high rolls and insta-kills your dude. In general you can't expect much from the game at much smaller point battles. This is also why I just love GGs or the Maw Krusha over Brutes/Megaboss on foot (at least without the Bloodtoffs teleport) - They are MUCH faster which means you can avoid a lot of magic. You can simply outrange it, then MD across the board and smash into a weak spot, instead of slowly creeping up the board and leaving your dudes vulnerable to magic.

Edited by Kasper

I agree GGs and MKs are the stars along with warchanters of course. Mostly combined with mighty destroyers GGs can move 18" and the MK 24" and be a threat to just about anything. Have the warchanters buff them up and send them flying like guided missiles has been what yielded me the greatest success by far. Don't get me wrong it is VERY powerful, I have aimed at usually 2 warchanters, to buff up a MK and a 6 man GG unit and simply delete 2 enemy units turn 1 and then hope that damage is enough to brawl it out from there.

I would have loved to at least get a boss on a Grunta, the army needs that so much. I love the footboss model, but he never manages to get anywhere useful, but the MK can just be a bit overkill, especially if playing smaller games. The new meeting engagement really does not favor the slow Ironjawz, except for GGs.

I hope the underworlds cards showing Ironjawz could be something just a bit interesting, like a new hero type or some spin on a brute unit.

35 minutes ago, Kasper said:

Alternatively it might be worth giving your Maw Krusha the doppelgangers cloak to deny him hitting you first - That's how other melee armies usually combat the Keeper or Terrorgeist.

Doppelganger would only work in your own turn but that may have been what you meant.

(Because in your turn you play out your activations first "at the start of the combat phase")

20 minutes ago, Skumbaagh said:

Doppelganger would only work in your own turn but that may have been what you meant.

(Because in your turn you play out your activations first "at the start of the combat phase")

Why is it restricted to only our own turn? The artefact reads as follows:

"Once per battle, at the start of the combat phase, you can say that the bearer will put on the cloak. If you do so, the bearer cannot be chosen as the target of attacks made with melee weapons unless the bearer has made any attacks earlier in that phase."

At the start of the combat phase refers to either your own combat phase or the opponent's combat phase. Slaanesh doesn't have anything that lets them fight at the start of the combat phase. So even if you charge or get charged and he rolls the Locus of Diversion, you pop this and the Maw Krusha fights at the end of the combat phase without having suffered any damage.

53 minutes ago, Kasper said:

Why is it restricted to only our own turn? The artefact reads as follows:

"Once per battle, at the start of the combat phase, you can say that the bearer will put on the cloak. If you do so, the bearer cannot be chosen as the target of attacks made with melee weapons unless the bearer has made any attacks earlier in that phase."

At the start of the combat phase refers to either your own combat phase or the opponent's combat phase. Slaanesh doesn't have anything that lets them fight at the start of the combat phase. So even if you charge or get charged and he rolls the Locus of Diversion, you pop this and the Maw Krusha fights at the end of the combat phase without having suffered any damage.

Oh, sorry about that, I was refering to the phase [start of the combat phase]. A lot of people are not aware of the mechanics of "I go, you go, I go ...." in [the start of the combat phase] as well as in [the combat phase].

52 minutes ago, Skumbaagh said:

Oh, sorry about that, I was refering to the phase [start of the combat phase]. A lot of people are not aware of the mechanics of "I go, you go, I go ...." in [the start of the combat phase] as well as in [the combat phase].

I forgot how the Terrorgeist stuff works, but from memory it is start of the combat phase - In this case yes, he would attack first in his own turn, then you can activate cloak (kinda pointless by now).

Slaanesh has no such thing though.

1 hour ago, Skumbaagh said:

What "I go, you go, I go" in the start of the combat phase?

It's "I do all my stuff in the start of my combat phase, then you do all your stuff, then we go to the main combat phase"

Hello beloved greenskins! This weekend I'll be having my first game with the Orruk Warclans at 1250 points against BOC, and I would love to know if you would be so kind to help me with my list. I'm new to Orruks so I don't know whether this list is any good, but I will highly appreciate your feedback. Cheers!

Spoiler

Allegiance: Ironjawz
- Warclan: Ironsunz

Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (110)
- General
- Command Trait : Master of the Weird
- Artefact : Shamanic Skullcape
- Lore of the Weird : Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork

Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Warbeat : Killa Beat

15 x Orruk Ardboys (270)
- 1 x Gorkamorka Banner Bearers
- 1 x Gorkamorka Glyph Bearers

15 x Orruk Ardboys (270)
- 1 x Gorkamorka Glyph Bearers

5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)

4 x Ironskull's Boyz (80)

3 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (160)
- Pig-iron Choppas

3 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (160)
- Pig-iron Choppas

TOTAL: 1250/1250

I've been wanting to try out new Gorefist.  Thinking of running this with the emphasis being pigs and boss are the alpha, and boyz are second wave objective grabbers.  Maybe break up one Boyz squad to a 10 & 5.  Maybe switch 2nd relic to  Aetherquartz (can be anything).

Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (460)
- General
- Boss Gore-hacka and Choppa
- Trait: Right Fist of Dakkbad
- Artefact: Sunzblessed Armour
- Mount Trait: Weird 'Un
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet
- Warbeat: Get 'Em Beat
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Warbeat: Fixin' Beat

Battleline
6 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (320)
- Jagged Gore-hackas
3 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (160)
- Jagged Gore-hackas
- Jagged Gore-hackas
15 x Orruk Ardboys (270)
15 x Orruk Ardboys (270)

Battalions
Gorefist (130)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 147

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Slandible said:

I've been wanting to try out new Gorefist.  Thinking of running this with the emphasis being pigs and boss are the alpha, and boyz are second wave objective grabbers.  Maybe break up one Boyz squad to a 10 & 5.  Maybe switch 2nd relic to  Aetherquartz (can be anything).

I'm playing a very similar list but with Ardfist to have less drops, as a Gorefist you are want the first as most as possible and yours has  drops, thats too much imo.

I tried Ironsunz first but in the end I prefer a vanilla IJ to make my MK super tanky thanks to Ignax Scale and Ironclad.

Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
- General
- Trait: Ironclad
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales
- Mount Trait: Mean 'Un
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Artefact: Thermalrider Cloak

Battleline
- Jagged Gore-hackas
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)

Battalions
Ardfist (120)
Gorefist (130)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Wounds: 127

@AQP

Looks like a fun list. With just a few modifications (still using all the same models) I think you can make it a little more competitive.

Spoiler

Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (110)
- General
- Trait: Master of the Weird  
- Artefact: Shamanic Skullcape  
- Lore of the Weird: Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork

Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch 
- Warbeat: Killa Beat

Battleline
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)

10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)

10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)

- Pig-iron Choppas

- Pig-iron Choppas

Battalions
Ardfist (120)

Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1250 / 1250
Extra Command Points: 2

The inclusion of the Ardfist + Aetherquartz Brooch for potential unit regeneration will be pretty fun I think and at this point level probably at its most powerful. You may also want to condense the GGs into a unit of 6 for more efficient buffing, but that'd be up to you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok boys,  I've been off the forum/youtube in the wake of the book release because I didn't want to fall into the group-think. I finally got around to crunching some numbers and got some games in and have some thoughts. 

So first list is: 

Spoiler

- Warclan: Ironjawz
Mortal Realm: Ghur
- General
- Trait: Ironclad
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm
- Mount Trait: Weird 'Un
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Artefact: Great Green Visions
- Jagged Gore-hackas
- Jagged Gore-hackas
- Jagged Gore-hackas
5 x Orruk Brutes (140)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- 1x Gore Choppas
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
Ironfist (160)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 138

I'm guessing most people have built some variation of this list, but it has the tools for every situation. The small GG units are there to pin and destroy screens, and even if there isn't a need for that in a game, they're good buff sponges along with the 5 brutes if your hammers are out of range or dead in the late game.

If your opponent makes a mistake or skimped on adequate screening the MK and 6-GG unit w/ Warchanter destroy just about everything now. I don't miss Waaagh! at all, Warchanter buffs more than compensate and it plays into the "waves" approach rather than "I need to optimize this one combat round" which meant a lot of all-in plays and hoping for double-turns.

The MK is an absolute damage sponge, very rarely is it efficient for your enemy to take him down.  The item/command traits are p. flexible too. I ran one game with ethereal amulet and Brutish Cunning instead, opting to drop the Ironfist because of the overlap with Brutish Cunning.  Think their might be an argument for mean'un and using ignax/mirrored instead though. All said, really like there's a lot of ways to put together a viable boss.

In essence though, with this list you basically keep good spacing, and line-up favorable trades with extremely fast Mighty Destroyer'd /Warchanter buffed units. 

------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm also working on 'ardfist list but I keep waffling on the hero set-up and whether to go the Choppas Warclan or not. I havn't got to try out the two list variations I'm thinking about (it's definitely a "feels-bad" list, so it might have to wait for a tourney) but it seems like a no-brainer for our most competitive option. Sure, it probably is going to face some very specific match-ups/terrain set-ups where you can't hide your foot heroes... but under most circumstances it's going to be impossible to grind through that many 'ardboyz. Especially 'ardboyz that can punch back w/ Warchanter.

Anyway, I have a lot of pages to sift though since the book release! Just my two cents.

• Like 2

Going to my first 2k tournament this weekend. I'm currently planning on bringing this list, but I'm open to ideas. The list gives me 2+d3 command points to work with on turn 1 and builds up the Mawkrusha to be especially tanky. Two consecutive turns of -1 to hit + Sunzblessed Armor will hopefully let him survive and do some damage.

I'll try to take some notes and report back here with results.

- Artefact: Sunzblessed Armour
- Mount Trait: Loud 'Un
- General
- Trait: Dead Kunnin'
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Pig-iron Choppas
10 x Orruk Brutes (280)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
Ironfist (160)

4 hours ago, Andrew G said:

I'm also working on 'ardfist list but I keep waffling on the hero set-up and whether to go the Choppas Warclan or not. I havn't got to try out the two list variations I'm thinking about (it's definitely a "feels-bad" list, so it might have to wait for a tourney) but it seems like a no-brainer for our most competitive option. Sure, it probably is going to face some very specific match-ups/terrain set-ups where you can't hide your foot heroes... but under most circumstances it's going to be impossible to grind through that many 'ardboyz. Especially 'ardboyz that can punch back w/ Warchanter.

I want to try an Ardfist Choppas list, too. I think it might be a good opportunity to bring a footboss, too, because he can take the command trait (18" +2 bravery bubble) and move up the board with the boyz + a WC. 10 bravery ardboyz are a pretty hardy line. Worst case scenario: spamming ardboyz would be a funny/fluffy list, if nothing else.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Scurvydog said:

Played a few more games and it proved my thoughts about the book again, as I crushed a legion of Azghor player, despite some poor luck on my part I still managed to crunch through it all, thanks to smashin and bashin and warchanter buffs.

My lost games so far has been against Slaanesh, especially in smaller meeting engagement games, I found myself without the bodies or tools to do much, while my opponent had a KoS stand behind a line of 2x20 marauders, poking over them with his 2" reach and removing marauders in the back as needed, while keeping control of the center objective.

He also managed turn 2 to cast the mirror endless spell at my table half, so my forces had to take d3 MWs every time they wanted to move closer to the center objective and to make matters worse he placed it next to my megaboss on foot, rolling 3 sixes and killing him with 9 MWs... I managed to deal 12 wounds in 1 combat to the KoS, only because 1 unit of brutes went first against demonettes and I got a smashin and bashin of so my other unit did not fight last anyway against the KoS. After that he proceeded to just table me.

I suspected having no chance against a well played Slaanesh force, if your opponent is crafty and knows his stuff, there is very little to do, as I only got that 1 combat of due to him being cocky. The 3 KoS tournament setups will probably be a gatekeeper for Ironjawz, so doubt we see many nr. 1 IJ at events, however IJ will bash most other armies which are not on top of the activation wars, as Ironjawz can deal the pain, but not really take it.

I am however already sort of bored with the book, so few units and so few options. I still find all the clans kind of bad and even worse boring. General traits have 2 good ones and also only a few worthwhile artifacts. It all makes it very samey unless you just go for random or for the lols. Just looking at the upcoming Ogor book it seems they get a truly combined force, a new hero model, terrain etc, Orruks is just a minimum effort piece and I will probably keep the army as a backup army, and everyone is already bored of playing with or against it here...

The honest warhammer YouTube channel has an interesting warclans vs Slaanesh stream from a tournament this weekend. Couple of good tricks for playing slaanesh. Basic idea is was play the objectives hard. But that’s really hard to do in meeting engagements. 

8 hours ago, Electricferret said:

@AQP

Looks like a fun list. With just a few modifications (still using all the same models) I think you can make it a little more competitive.

Reveal hidden contents

Leaders
- General
- Trait: Master of the Weird  
- Artefact: Shamanic Skullcape  

Orruk Warchanter (110)

Battleline
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)

10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)

10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)

- Pig-iron Choppas

- Pig-iron Choppas

Battalions
Ardfist (120)

Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1250 / 1250
Extra Command Points: 2

The inclusion of the Ardfist + Aetherquartz Brooch for potential unit regeneration will be pretty fun I think and at this point level probably at its most powerful. You may also want to condense the GGs into a unit of 6 for more efficient buffing, but that'd be up to you.

@Electricferret Thank you so much, I really appreciate it.

Hi all,  i have read all the forum and still have a question about how really works Smashing and Bashing and the Locus of Diversion.

Smashing and Bashing gives us to pick 1 unit and fight immediately in proper situation.

Still Locus of Diversion makes our units to fight last " after the players have picked any other units to fight in that combat phase".

The unclear situation is when not all our units under the Locus of Diversion.

Like this situation:

MK1 under the locus in btb with KoS

MK2 is not under the Locus in btb with some chariot.

It was our charge phase so we pick MK2 to fight first with chariot, chariot is killed and Smashing and Bashing is on.

Can i chose to fight with MK1 that is under the locus?

32 minutes ago, alterdeqip said:

Hi all,  i have read all the forum and still have a question about how really works Smashing and Bashing and the Locus of Diversion.

Smashing and Bashing gives us to pick 1 unit and fight immediately in proper situation.

Still Locus of Diversion makes our units to fight last " after the players have picked any other units to fight in that combat phase".

The unclear situation is when not all our units under the Locus of Diversion.

Like this situation:

MK1 under the locus in btb with KoS

MK2 is not under the Locus in btb with some chariot.

It was our charge phase so we pick MK2 to fight first with chariot, chariot is killed and Smashing and Bashing is on.

Can i chose to fight with MK1 that is under the locus?

I guess you didn't read all the posts ;) Because a couple of pages back we covered the exact interaction between SnB and LoD with FAQ backing it up.

1) Smashing and Bashing says you can fight immediately with a unit instead of later in the phase. Locus of Diversion doesn't prevent your unit from fighting, it just fights at the end of the combat phase. This is still later in the combat phase, hence why you can fight immediately with Smashing and Bashing.

2) There's a FAQ for Beasts of Chaos that says if two abilities contradict each other, the most recent one (Smashing and Bashing in this case) takes precedence over the previous effect.

Edited by Kasper
  • Like 1