AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

40 minutes ago, EMMachine said:

It's not really labeled an "Orruk battalion". Thanks to the Core FAQ the Battalions have all allegiances of the Battletome. So at the moment a Battalion with Ironjaws Models is a Bonesplitterz Battalion as well because Bonesplitterz is a Faction of the Battletome (so you can basicly play Bonesplitterz in an Ironjaws list without spending Allypoints if they are in a Battalion) 🙄.

That is a really good and stupid point. Kunnin Rukk in IJ hahaha.

So I've been interested in the discussion on if Mighty Destroyers can be used in a Big Waagh! allegiance if taking the Ironfist battalion that allows you to use it, so i was looking through my tome last night (book not on hand so forgive me if my wording isn't spot on) but the Big Waagh! states an Ironjaw general can take one of the Ironjawz traits on page 56 I believe it is. 

One of those traits is Brutish Cunning which allows your general to use Mighty Destroyers as well. So would taking the Brutish Cunning trait allow you to use Mighty Destroyers? If so, and the battalion also allows its use, you could potentially have two free Mighty Destroyers per turn? Also could be a way to get Mighty Destroyers without spending points for the battalion if you wanted to get a few more bodies on the table

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Brakkus said:

So I've been interested in the discussion on if Mighty Destroyers can be used in a Big Waagh! allegiance if taking the Ironfist battalion that allows you to use it, so i was looking through my tome last night (book not on hand so forgive me if my wording isn't spot on) but the Big Waagh! states an Ironjaw general can take one of the Ironjawz traits on page 56 I believe it is. 

One of those traits is Brutish Cunning which allows your general to use Mighty Destroyers as well. So would taking the Brutish Cunning trait allow you to use Mighty Destroyers? If so, and the battalion also allows its use, you could potentially have two free Mighty Destroyers per turn? Also could be a way to get Mighty Destroyers without spending points for the battalion if you wanted to get a few more bodies on the table

It's a very legit concern everyone has about MD and you bring some good points but to me this doesn't make much sense. Mighty Destroyers is an Ironjawz allegiance ability. You benefit from these (just like Smahin and Bashing and Mad as Hell) when you are Ironjawz. It's my understanding that when you go for the Big Waaagh, you renounce the Ironjawz allegiance traits, because you aren't pure Ironjawz. 

Having all of those in the Big Waaagh doesn't work for me, at least lore wise or simply logic wise. It's like having the best of both worlds. I doubt this would fly. It's only my opinion though.

@Jabbuk I agree with you that by going Big Waaagh you are no longer IJ allegiance and therefore are forfeiting S&B, MD, etc. 

I am just asking because as part of the Big Waaagh it states you can choose from traits on page X of the tome. One of those traits allows for use of MD. It doesn't give double allegiances to both IJ & Big Waaagh or anythingcrazy like that (so no S&B, Mad as Hell, etc), but states you can simply use MD.

There are no other qualifications to using it unless it states on the traits page "you must be IJ allegiance to use these traits," or something along those lines. My book is at home and I'm at work, so if someone with a book on hand can confirm, that would be appreciated. 

I also wanted to point this out as another point of possibility for using MD as I had only seen it referenced in regards to the battalion is all. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brakkus said:

In my option it should work. The point is. You do not get the Command Ability Mighty Destroyer of the Ironjaws Battletraits.

"Brutish Cunning" of the Command Traits and "Up and At'em" of the Ironfist Battalion are basicly 2 abilities that use the same rules as Mighty Destroyer and instead of rewriting the complete ability (maybe except the of the first sentence about command Ability) they referred the Ability and made both rules shorter (and if playing Ironjawz, or both Abilities there is still the restriction that it can't be stacked).

Edited by EMMachine

3 hours ago, EMMachine said:

In my option it should work. The point is. You do not get the Command Ability Mighty Destroyer of the Ironjaws Battletraits.

Honestly it's really a gray area right now. We will need to have the FAQ to be sure. 

But personnally if I had to play game berore FAQ, I would assume it won't work:

1. Taking the worst-case scenario avoid potential conflict on a ruling with an opponent and

2. Also avoid disapointment in the likelyhood I really like my Brutish cunning/Ironfist Big waaagh list :) 

I’m in agreement with it should be usable unless the allegiance page specifically says you have to take IJ to use these. At least until it’s FAQ’d or further clarified. The only other reason to bring an ironfist batallion at that point would be for the additional war chanter beat. I know they don’t always go into specific details and FAQs are intended to correct obvious imbalances but the RAW doesn’t say take an Ironjawz trait EXCEPT  brutal cunning nor does it say you are unable to use all batallion abilities EXCEPT  Ironfist ability.  Personally, I see it working as intended until it’s FAQ’d or we get a definitive answer from GW

1 hour ago, ShaneHobbes said:

I don't have my book on me atm but regarding Warchanters and Warbeats, are they only allowed to do one Warbeat per turn?

Each warbeat  can only be attempted once per turn regardless of how many warchanters know it. So you could technically double up but you’d still only get to attempt it once per turn. You could however have all three with three chanters and then attempt all three once. 

1 hour ago, Tezia99 said:

I’m in agreement with it should be usable unless the allegiance page specifically says you have to take IJ to use these. At least until it’s FAQ’d or further clarified. The only other reason to bring an ironfist batallion at that point would be for the additional war chanter beat. I know they don’t always go into specific details and FAQs are intended to correct obvious imbalances but the RAW doesn’t say take an Ironjawz trait EXCEPT  brutal cunning nor does it say you are unable to use all batallion abilities EXCEPT  Ironfist ability.  Personally, I see it working as intended until it’s FAQ’d or we get a definitive answer from GW

You're mentionning RAW, but you're infering rules in your interpretation.

1. Nobody is arguing that you can't take Brutish cunning or Ironfist in Big waagh. This is undoubtfully totally legal.

2. The litigious point come from the Mighty destroyer command ability, wich clearly state at the begining: "Ironjawz army can use the Mighty Destroyer command ability". So by default, it's safer to argue that a Big waaagh army is NOT an Ironjawz army, thus you can't use brutish cunning / ironfist ability in those case (you could still take Ironfist to reduce drop, extra warbeat and extra artefact), until they FAQ that you can. Obviously, you can do what you want in your play group ;)  

Here is another question for you fellas to take a bite at. 

Attempting to cast the same spell twice in one turn is not possible unless stated otherwise. What about a bloodtoof army with the quickduff amulet that says "the bearer can cast the great green hand of gork"? Does that still count as an attempt or is it possible to teleport with the amulett and the spell from a weirdnob too? 

26 minutes ago, Skumbaagh said:

Attempting to cast the same spell twice in one turn is not possible unless stated otherwise. What about a bloodtoof army with the quickduff amulet that says "the bearer can cast the great green hand of gork"? Does that still count as an attempt or is it possible to teleport with the amulett and the spell from a weirdnob too? 

I would say no, as it's not stated. But it's a good question for FAQ team.

Edited by broche
  • Like 1

One of the list I would like to test, using a gore first in da Choppa:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Ironjawz
- Warclan: Choppas
Mortal Realm: Hysh
Gordrakk the Fist of Gork (540)
- Mount Trait: Mean 'Un
Orruk Megaboss (150)
- General
- Trait: Checked Out
- Artefact: Destroyer
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch
- Warbeat: Fixin' Beat
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Warbeat: Killa Beat
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
5 x Orruk Brutes (140)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (140)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
Gorefist (130)

Total: 1920 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 130

List come at 8 drop, wich is quite high but should let you go first againts some shooting list (skaven and now cities). The goal is to hit with the 3 x 3 pig in T1 to clean as much model as possible, and ideally pile in onto shooting units. Burn the 2 CP for waaagh and gordrak buff, the pigs will hit 100 damages before save. 

Da choppa here save 2 purpose: Early game you get reroll charge for your mini-alpha strike. And mid game you can buff up to 4 units with only 2 warchanter. That mean your ardboys, brutes and megaboss/gordrak would all get +1 damage making all of them a huge threat. the +2 bravery is a nice add on so your brutes pig will never flee.

Going second against army likely to hit you first, I will likely do a screen with the ardboys, spread the pigs and put units behind in counter attack. You could also downgrade Gordrack for regular mawkrusha to increase to 15 ardboys.

19 minutes ago, broche said:

One of the list I would like to test, using a gore first in da Choppa:

Reveal hidden contents

Mortal Realm: Hysh
Gordrakk the Fist of Gork (540)
- Mount Trait: Mean 'Un
Orruk Megaboss (150)
- General
- Artefact: Destroyer
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch
Orruk Warchanter (110)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
5 x Orruk Brutes (140)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (140)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
Gorefist (130)

Total: 1920 / 2000
Wounds: 130

List come at 8 drop, wich is quite high but should let you go first againts some shooting list (skaven and now cities). The goal is to hit with the 3 x 3 pig in T1 to clean as much model as possible, and ideally pile in onto shooting units. Burn the 2 CP for waaagh and gordrak buff, the pigs will hit 100 damages before save. 

Da choppa here save 2 purpose: Early game you get reroll charge for your mini-alpha strike. And mid game you can buff up to 4 units with only 2 warchanter. That mean your ardboys, brutes and megaboss/gordrak would all get +1 damage making all of them a huge threat. the +2 bravery is a nice add on so your brutes pig will never flee.

Going second against army likely to hit you first, I will likely do a screen with the ardboys, spread the pigs and put units behind in counter attack. You could also downgrade Gordrack for regular mawkrusha to increase to 15 ardboys.

Any reason to go for the gorefist over the ironfist? Da Choppa's command ability can't target GGs, so you can't buff all three for the turn-1 gorefist charge. I figure that it'd be easier to use a 6-man unit (or 9, if you wanted to go all-in) and make them the ironfist boss. It'd also let you lessen your drops significantly.

1 hour ago, broche said:

You're mentionning RAW, but you're infering rules in your interpretation.

1. Nobody is arguing that you can't take Brutish cunning or Ironfist in Big waagh. This is undoubtfully totally legal.

2. The litigious point come from the Mighty destroyer command ability, wich clearly state at the begining: "Ironjawz army can use the Mighty Destroyer command ability". So by default, it's safer to argue that a Big waaagh army is NOT an Ironjawz army, thus you can't use brutish cunning / ironfist ability in those case (you could still take Ironfist to reduce drop, extra warbeat and extra artefact), until they FAQ that you can. Obviously, you can do what you want in your play group ;)  

Gotcha. Reading the book under allegiance I see that on the access. I guess the further point would be are there any other examples across other armies where a hero/unit is allowed access to something through and ability or trait that they would lose access to or didn’t to begin with.  I can see why it’s a grey area now. So it’s either we don’t get those abilities in a Big Waaagh because they’re Ironjawz abilities or even in the Big Waaagh we just gain access to a command ability we would have lost(and for free two times per turn)

- Warclan: Ironsunz
Leaders
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (110)
- General
- Trait: Bursting with Power
- Artefact: Shamanic Skullcape
- Lore of the Weird: Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork
- Artefact: Great Green Visions
- Lore of the Weird: Mighty 'Eadbutt
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Warbeat: Get 'Em Beat
Orruk Warchanter (110)

Battleline
6 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (320)
- Jagged Gore-hackas
20 x Orruk Ardboys (360)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)

Battalions
Ardfist (120)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 174

First of all, is this list legit? 

Played a game with double Dragons against daughters and what can I say.. I need more wounds! I figured I get as many wounds in as possible while building the list around movement shenanigans. 

Weirdnob general has +2 to cast and can try hand of gork 20 boys from out of dispell range. 6 gruntas can get into combat turn 1 as well if necessary, making the most out of the -1 to hit in a first turn charge. Or they will just get across the board to sit on an objective for a while (18+2D6 run). 

Weirdnobs will help getting all of the boys up to speed to screen off the middle of the table. Warchanters will stay behind the ardboys for support, both for the +1 hit in the opponents combat and for charging boys  in the end of the opponents charge phase to mess with pile ins. 

The one Weirdnob with mighty headbutt could get onto a balewind and target keepers and such which could be done as early as beginning of t1 because of the 22" cast. 

Target saturation is good. 3 out of 4 heroes are powerful, targeting priorities will not be easy for the opponent. Imo the general is the most important one. 

With teleport, charging in the opponents turn and a chance to come in from the sides I think this list can do a lot of stuff. One could easily change the ardfist and vortex for an ironfist to save CP on the pigs making them a solo unit without need of backup. 

What do you guys think? 

2 hours ago, TALegion said:

Any reason to go for the gorefist over the ironfist? Da Choppa's command ability can't target GGs, so you can't buff all three for the turn-1 gorefist charge. I figure that it'd be easier to use a 6-man unit (or 9, if you wanted to go all-in) and make them the ironfist boss. It'd also let you lessen your drops significantly.

Yes, in fact most of my list are ironfist, but I think small gorefist detachement has some value in that case:

1. Cost 30 pts less. Might seem not much, but try fitting the above in an ironfist and you'll likely fall short (having to downgrade gruntas to brutes or Megaboss to warchanter/weirnob)

2.  With Ironfist you get 1 free move. With gorefist you get at least 3. If you want to strike first with an ironfist it will cost you  more CP and likely include a Maw Krusha in the strike , exposing a high-value piece.

That said, I think the 6-pig alpha strike ironfist is a viable strategy, but i think it's a little bit more all in. I've done a version with bloodtooth where i throw 20 ardboys, 6 pig and mawkrusha in turn 1 also. I think it just play a bit different.

• Like 1

I love the double MK list with Gordrak. I love it a bit more than my Gorefist list.

However,  my meta has a shootcast list that is owning everything. It has a few units of vanguard crossbows, with aetherwings that block charges. This is led by a Aquilor that can redeploy the whole army in the move phase since it has two 5+ CP regen artefacts. Tempest Lords plus Atherquartz brooch.

Here is the list:

Spoiler

Stormcast Eternals - Stormhost: Tempest Lords

LEADERS

Lord-Aquilor (180) - General

Lord-Castellant (120)

UNITS

6 x Vanguard-Palladors (360) - Boltstorm Pistols and Shock Handaxes

9 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (510)

3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows (140)

3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows (140)

3 x Aetherwings (50)

3 x Aetherwings (50)

3 x Aetherwings (50)

BATTALIONS Vanguard Justicar Conclave (120)

Its 3/4 drops and deploys all the way back on their own board edge. Half the army is in deepstrike reserves and comes down to Alpha basically anything. In our case, Gordrak will die turn 1 every time. More likely, Gordrak and the other MBMK will die.

I know its an objective game but the Aetherwings are quite annoying and will definitely block all charges on our Turn 1.

Whatcha guys think. The list is the best I can recall.

I had a very successful “fun game” against a heavy shooting CoS army on the day of release.  I had heard of the output of CoS shooting so I was worried  

My opponent ran something like, 3x20 Handgunners, Hurricanum, Ordinator, 4 CoS artillery units, Lord On gryphon 

I ran:

Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (460)
- General
- Boss Gore-hacka and Choppa
- Trait: Right Fist of Dakkbad  
- Artefact: Sunzblessed Armour  
- Mount Trait: Fast 'Un
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Lore of the Weird: Bash 'Em Ladz
- Lore of the Weird: Da Blazin' Eyes
- Jagged Gore-hackas
5 x Orruk Brutes (140)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- 1x Gore Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (140)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- 1x Gore Choppas
10 x Orruk Brutes (280)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- 2x Gore Choppas
Ironfist (160)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 129

Using Damned Terrain and 2x Mighty Destroyers my Gruntas and MBMK were 3” away from his gunline turn 1. Gruntas charged in, only suffering a couple of wounds from the gunline. Then the MBMK spiked his charge and flew over the gunline and into his artillery. Half the army was gone turn 1.

Whoops 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thoughts on using Da Choppaz without a weirdnob general? All of the benefits are pretty versatile, so it seems like a possible default-option.
(Note, this list is exactly 2000pts - warscroll builder incorrectly lists six GGs as 280pts)

Mortal Realm: Shyish
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (460)
- General
- Boss Gore-hacka and Choppa
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet
- Mount Trait: Weird 'Un
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
10 x Orruk Brutes (280)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- 2x Gore Choppas
6 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (280)
- Pig-iron Choppas
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
- 2x Gorkamorka Banner Bearers
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
- 2x Gorkamorka Banner Bearers
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
- 1x Gorkamorka Banner Bearers
Ironfist (160)

Total: 1960 / 2000
Wounds: 143

The idea is to alpha-strike with GGs and the MBMK turn 1, buffing the GGs with a WC and giving the MBMK Mystic Shield. The boss is super tanky and can probably live a round of combat, and the GGs will do huge damage on the charge. The opponent can either retreat (giving me the ability to move and charge again), continue to fight (letting me using 2 Might Destroyers at the start of my next turn), or wipe me out (which I think will be hard for many armies).

The rest of the units move up the other side of the board, putting themselves in position for a turn-2 charge with most of them being buffed by a WC. The 5-man squad of ardboyz exists to capture back-line objectives.

I made the MBMK the general because I think he'll be able to move around to where the 18" +2 bravery will be most useful. If that doesn't work out, the alternative idea is to make one of the WCs the general so that the buff is always in range of the Ardboyz+Brutes.

3 hours ago, Skumbaagh said:

Leaders
- General
- Trait: Bursting with Power
- Artefact: Shamanic Skullcape
- Lore of the Weird: Mighty 'Eadbutt
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)

Battleline
- Jagged Gore-hackas
20 x Orruk Ardboys (360)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)

Battalions
Ardfist (120)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Balewind Vortex (40)

Unfortunately, without a megaboss, you don't have access to Waaagh. That's not a complete deal-breaker, but I imagine that it'd be useful with so many ardboyz. If you wanted to squeeze in a footboss, you could drop the Mighty 'Eadbutt weirdnob and the balewind vortex. You could either give him the Ironsunz artefact or give one of your WCs a realm artefact

3 hours ago, Boggler said:

Its 3/4 drops and deploys all the way back on their own board edge. Half the army is in deepstrike reserves and comes down to Alpha basically anything. In our case, Gordrak will die turn 1 every time. More likely, Gordrak and the other MBMK will die.

I know its an objective game but the Aetherwings are quite annoying and will definitely block all charges on our Turn 1.

Whatcha guys think. The list is the best I can recall

Shootcast is a ****** to deal with but you can deal with it. It's 100% about playing the tactics and strategy right. Go for ironsunz, this puts the -1 round which really helps limit his damage output. If he drops the aetherwings to close you can charge in his turn to clear them.

During deployment screen the ****** out of everything and deploy the cabbages in the middle of it. Force him to drop as close as possible to your line to get at them. He can't hero phase shoot on the turn he powerdrops.

If he makes you go first you have 2 objectives. 

1) Kill any aetherwings you can. You need to clean them all off turn 1 if possible. Remember they can only move in your charge phase if they are within 12" of a vanguard Hunter unit.

2) Screen the everliving hell out of the board. You need to block a 7" board edge drop aswell which is a sod but if you can force him to drop in his territory and out of range of your cabbages that's amazing.

3) grab every objective you can. Play that objective game like mad. Force him to choose between hitting high priority targets (cabbages and WC with broach) and getting you off objectives. It can very quickly spiral out of control on some battleplans if you do it properly.

If he goes first. Same thing only more aggressive. Force him to commit all his aetherwings in multiple different directions, no 3" move oh I tagged 3 different units. See if you can scream and/or impact hits them off. If you can do it with a cabbage you can bounce into important ****** and get killing.

Priorities are similar but not exactly the same.

1) force him to commit all his aetherwings so you can kill them. You need all of them dead turn 1 if you can.

2) set yourself up so that if you double turn him you can pop Mighty Destroyers on your cabbages and use the 24" move to hammer key units. 

3) screen the ****** out of his redeployment. The general can only bring them on a board edge, combined with the lack of the extra 5" range in the hero phase you can stop him launching his hero phase shots at the cabbages if you do it properly.

4) grab objectives, same as above but slightly less important.

During the game.

1) Kill the general. His whole strategy revolves around that redeployment threat, if you can kill it he's now a slow moving army with who you can abuse the hell out of.

2) Objectives. I know I said this in both the above but it's so important. He CANNOT move onto objectives to contest them while you are there unless he weakens you first. It's very very easy to put the game out of his reach if you can dumpster his general. If you have 1 ardboys sat exactly on the point. He can't actually get onto it in 1 turn most of the time since you bubble him off.

Hopefully this helps. It's a hard matchup but Mighty Destroyers gives you a way to win due to your sheer speed. If he makes a single mistake you can cripple him.

In my last game at the ws10 tournament I played shootcast, I won because I tagged all the objectives asap scoring 4 round 1, 3 round 2 and 3 and managed to double 2/3 catapulting Big G 48" across the board to beat the snot out of his general.

Now with no redeployment he couldn't get across the board to claim 2 of the objectives meaning he lost on points. He hosed my army off the board but in the end it didn't matter.

• Like 1

@Boggler Do you play without Battleline in your Playgroup? If I am not mistaken, even at 2k he wouldn´t even be able to fit in 3 Units of Libs...Might explain why you struggle. This should also make you comfortably out-drop him.

As a Stormcast Player, whenever playing Anvilstrike or a variation my biggest fear is  a Horde of MSU Units with decent Output charging at the same time from different angles. I believe Ironjawz can play this way perfectly with a Mawcrusha and some units of Gruntas. Also he does lack any magic defense, which you could exploit by teleporting 10-20 Ardboys in his backline.

I am also not sure how he is able to kill one, let alone two Mawcrushas with hist 9 Longstrikes without using Anvils for double shooting or Azyros for rerolls.

• Like 1