AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

2 minutes ago, Superninja said:

Reading Rip tooth fist, it says:

"If the unmodified save roll for an attack that targets a model with a Rip-toof Fist is 6, the attacking unit suffers 1 mortal wound after all of its attacks have been resolved."

"An attack" is ranged as well I assume.

Yeah, RAW it work on missile weapon as well, and same for Armour of gork 

18 minutes ago, broche said:

that will need confirmation, so far info we have is start of charge phase. However end of the charge would be even better as it would allow you to counter charge with unengaged units

According to the videos, it's end of the phase. You can see it here, though it's a little blurry.

Still useful, but it's not able to interrupt or disrupt charges, afaik. You'll only be able to charge after they've already declared and completed all of their charges.

• Like 1

Here is the list I am going to build towards.

MBMK - 460

Gruntas x6 - 320

Gruntas x3 - 160

Gruntas x3 - 160

Gorefist - 130

Warchanter - 110

Weirdnob Shaman - 110

Ardboyz x20 - 360

Brutes x5 - 140

Extra CP - 50 = 2k exact

I can easily switch the Shaman for another Warchanter.

6 drops makes me sad.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

30 minutes ago, TALegion said:

The Ironsunz CA is "at the end of the enemy charge phase," which means after all of their units have already charged, correct? It can't interrupt charges as much as respond to them, I think.

25 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

I agree with @Malakree that the Ironsunz CA is useful, but it does not prevent anything, it states in the rules that you use it at the END of the opponents charge phase. Basically it allows you to make your opponent think twice about engaging elements of your army, such as charging in a blob of witch aelves on your mawkrusha, but that Grunta unit nearby can suddenly join in, not only taking part in the combat, but also dividing the forces.

So yea it is good, but it does not interfere with the opponents charges during the phase at all. Of course it also costs a CP to use, so that is one CP less for mighty destroyers, whaagh, +1 to hit or whatever.

As one of the only abilities that allows us more movement and ability to manipulate the battlefield, I am happy we have it as an option.

26 minutes ago, broche said:

that will need confirmation, so far info we have is start of charge phase. However end of the charge would be even better as it would allow you to counter charge with unengaged units

I will admit that what I've seen let me to believe it's the start of the charge phase. If it's at the end then it's considerably worse and it would heavily reduce my evaluation of it.

End of the charge phase makes it far more niche and way less usable. Possibly to the point where it's as mediocre as the bloodtoofs one.

Have to admit after the Drakfoot allegiance I was willing to believe we would get something that good.

• Haha 1

Hi guys! First of all, thank you for your brainstorming... that helps me to improve my knowledge and my play style!

My question is that I don't know if is worth to chose one ironjawz clan (ironfist, bloodtoof or choppa) because i think that the general artefacts and traits are really good too... and then is when I think... maybe I should chose the Big Waaagh... I can't sleep good...

PD: Sorry for my bad english xD

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Kizkull said:

Hi guys! First of all, thank you for your brainstorming... that helps me to improve my knowledge and my play style!

My question is that I don't know if is worth to chose one ironjawz clan (ironfist, bloodtoof or choppa) because i think that the general artefacts and traits are really good too... and then is when I think... maybe I should chose the Big Waaagh... I can't sleep good...

PD: Sorry for my bad english xD

I think you can do whatever you want. The clans all have their uses and are roughly equal in strength, and the book's command traits are also strong. I'm going to try our the Brutal Cunning trait (which gives you a free use of Might Destroyers) before I try any of the clans - it just sounds more fun to me. At some point, I'm also going to trying Ironclad + Weird 'Un (4+ to ignore spells) to make an unkillable boss

6 hours ago, broche said:

What's your opinion guys on wrath of gork? range is low, but with the  free use of migthy destroyer (ironfist and or brutish cunning) it might worth a try.  It's not too hard to do 8-10 mortal

While it is a decent list of spells in general Ironjawz get, I find it hard to create any reliable strategy around. The weirdnob no longer gets any kind of + to cast, so unless you invest heavily into him and possibly run great Whaagh and spend d6 points for +2 to cast, then you will not reliably get it of, and even then many armies out there can also shut you down.

A single knight incantor can just auto unbind at the right time, and others can do the same. The Slaneesh Epitome can just reroll all spells and unbinds (what were they thinking), Nagash etc. At least with the green hand you can try to keep the shaman out of unbind range to greatly improve your chances of getting a cast of.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lanoss said:

Would charging at the end end of the opponent’s charge phase possibly avoid Slaanesh’s LoD though?

That would be great but the way Locus is worded I dont think so. Locus also takes place at the end of the charge phase

LOCUS OF DIVERSION
At the end of the charge phase, each friendly HEDONITE HERO that is within 6" of an enemy unit can create a locus of diversion. If they do so, pick 1
enemy unit that is within 6" of that HEDONITE HERO and roll a dice, adding 2 if that HEDONITE HERO is a GREATER DAEMON. On a 4+, that enemy unit fights at the end of the following combat phase, after the players have picked any other units to fight in that combat
phase. 

9 hours ago, TALegion said:

I think you can do whatever you want. The clans all have their uses and are roughly equal in strength, and the book's command traits are also strong. I'm going to try our the Brutal Cunning trait (which gives you a free use of Might Destroyers) before I try any of the clans - it just sounds more fun to me. At some point, I'm also going to trying Ironclad + Weird 'Un (4+ to ignore spells) to make an unkillable boss

I'm going to try brutal cunning + ironfist + great green visions at the weekend, I think stacking cps for +1 to hit and rr1s to hit could be fun, and 2 free mighty destroyers will leave plenty for it.

44 minutes ago, Planar said:

That would be great but the way Locus is worded I dont think so. Locus also takes place at the end of the charge phase

LOCUS OF DIVERSION
At the end of the charge phase, each friendly HEDONITE HERO that is within 6" of an enemy unit can create a locus of diversion. If they do so, pick 1
enemy unit that is within 6" of that HEDONITE HERO and roll a dice, adding 2 if that HEDONITE HERO is a GREATER DAEMON. On a 4+, that enemy unit fights at the end of the following combat phase, after the players have picked any other units to fight in that combat
phase. 

It would. The player who's turn it is has their "end of phase", then the player who's turn it isn't has their "end of phase". According to the community article about ASF/ASL. So Slaanesh would do their locuses and then you'd charge them

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

12 hours ago, Malakree said:

I will admit that what I've seen let me to believe it's the start of the charge phase. If it's at the end then it's considerably worse and it would heavily reduce my evaluation of it.

End of the charge phase makes it far more niche and way less usable. Possibly to the point where it's as mediocre as the bloodtoofs one.

Have to admit after the Drakfoot allegiance I was willing to believe we would get something that good.

My friend received the book already and took a screenshot. It is unfortunately at the end of the charge phase. It still messes up the enemy's charging. If he plans his charges carefully not to tag your stuff, you can spend a CA and get your Maw Krusha or whatever stuck in combat. If you let your enemy charge you, he could even expose key units to a counter charge later in the turn.

image.png.b8491f89e1bd04da741e33455cf2f973.png

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Karragon said:

It would. The player who's turn it is has their "end of phase", then the player who's turn it isn't has their "end of phase". According to the community article about ASF/ASL. So Slaanesh would do their locuses and then you'd charge them

This should be correct. I didn't even think of that - That makes Ironsunz almost better in my eyes than if you could charge at the start of the enemy charge phase.

35 minutes ago, Kasper said:

This should be correct. I didn't even think of that - That makes Ironsunz almost better in my eyes than if you could charge at the start of the enemy charge phase.

It's no where near as good as it would be if it was the start of the phase but it still has some uses. Khorne/Slaanesh have some situations where it will be good. There's also some more technical uses for it that are hard to explain without an example in front of you but will occur more commonly/can be engineered.

Ironically it's a huge boon for the Footboss because of some of those situations :D 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Ironically it's a huge boon for the Footboss because of some of those situations :D 

I just imagined an overlooked MB of foot with thermalrider cloak going full YOLO, flying above the daemonette mobs and landing attacks on a KoS who is still trying to understand why the F Locus is not working 😂

Edited by Planar

22 minutes ago, Planar said:

I just imagined an overlooked MB of foot with thermalrider cloak going full YOLO, flying above the daemonette mobs and landing attacks on a KoS who is still trying to understand why the F Locus is not working 😂

That would be awesome but I think he couldn't wear the thermalrider cloak as he would have to take the Ironsunz artefact. 

• Sad 1