AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

14 minutes ago, KillagoreFaceslasha said:

I cannot wait to play an entire game just so i can get +1 attack.

Unless the escalation is bonkers, or massive tweaks happen, this just killed the army.

Look at it this way, if the book is terrible, we’re no worse off than we are now. But if the book is decent, then it should all be a step up.

i reserve judgement until we have the book in hand.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wazzuli said:

Hopefully it's like depravity points, everyone thought they were trash and now people have so many they dont know what to do with them! We could (hopefully hopefully) end up in the same boat.

We have no specialized terrain, so it’s got to be a general mechanic like “every time an orruk unit activists to fight, shoot or cast a spell, gain 1 point”.  So you can get them doing your turn or your opponents turn, and even though abilities like our current “fight in the hero phase” command ability

It sounds to me that the Waaagh! point generation is only if your army is "A Big Waaagh" army - ie combined Ironjawz and Bonesplitterz using its own allegiance abilities.  If so, then if your army is Ironjawz ( or Bonesplitterz) allegiance, then you won't get them.  Personally, I'm fine with that as it looks to me as though all three options are going to be viable and thematic and variety is the spice of life.

3 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

It sounds to me that the Waaagh! point generation is only if your army is "A Big Waaagh" army - ie combined Ironjawz and Bonesplitterz using its own allegiance abilities.  If so, then if your army is Ironjawz ( or Bonesplitterz) allegiance, then you won't get them.

That's certainly how I read it but I don't play Orruks so I wasn't super sure 

58 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

It sounds to me that the Waaagh! point generation is only if your army is "A Big Waaagh" army - ie combined Ironjawz and Bonesplitterz using its own allegiance abilities.  If so, then if your army is Ironjawz ( or Bonesplitterz) allegiance, then you won't get them.  Personally, I'm fine with that as it looks to me as though all three options are going to be viable and thematic and variety is the spice of life.

I kinda hope we can tap into that table. Would be neat.

Lets WAIT and see. At the moment I am most concerned about our non-representation in the activation wars. Even the strongest offensive output is not much use if you get deleted right after the charge and before you get a chance to attack.

I hope they will give us something at least to defend against it.

It might very well all be bad, but indeed lets wait and see, for Ironjawz specifically we have only the mad as hell rule and the 1 warband, which is the old battalion and quite underwhelmning. We know nothing else for sure, other than the great whaagh army, but I guess you can use only Ironjawz there as well, so we have to see what they will do to balance this, as either the great whaagh is better no matter what, or the individual armies are better.

I'd be surprised if "Mad as hell" is the only allegiance ability for the pure Ironjawz army, even though I quite like it. Of course all this also depends on new warscrolls as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Planar said:

Lets WAIT and see. At the moment I am most concerned about our non-representation in the activation wars. Even the strongest offensive output is not much use if you get deleted right after the charge and before you get a chance to attack.

I hope they will give us something at least to defend against it.

But smashing and bashing is sort of our way in the activation wars. It overwrites Locus of Diversion. Sure we have no way of dealing with units that immediately pile in and attack (sometimes twice) at the start of combat phase, but otherwise we do have tools that nobody else got.

I'm really hyped on the updated warscroll for Gordrakk and the bossman on MawKrusha. I loved running both boys in my list previously.

@Kasper agreed and I am having high expectations there especially for big G. I hope he can be viable at least for semi competitive play.

Smashing and Bashing is hard to pull off against an experienced opponent (essentialyl you are counting on opponents mistake) and it also means your unit is already engaged in combat.  I was having in mind those 30 heathguard mobs which tend to delete everything that comes close to them before it gets a chance to fight.

Let's see. Today everythign will be revealed.  :)

Personally I will continue playing my IJ as I have done continously since day one.  The real question is if we will have a chance to bring them back to tournaments as well

Edited by Planar
typos

Just now, Planar said:

@Kasper agreed and I am having having expectations there especially for big G. I hope he can be viable at least for semi competitive play.

Smashing and Bashing is hard to pull off against an experienced opponent (essentialyl you are counting on opponents mistake) and it also means your unit is already engaged in combat.  I was having in mind those 30 heathguard mobs which tend to delete everything that comes close to them before it gets a chance to fight.

In the case of the Hearthguard Berzerkers, even if you attacked first it honestly would matter. It is one of those units you just don't engage at all and rather go for their support heroes. I don't think S&B is only good against bad enemies - You need to plan your own charges and sometimes ensure you overkill a unit/hero.

Big G is already in some tournaments @Malakree has used him to great effect. I don't think he needs *that* many buffs, but he is rather costly for what he does. It looks like they are buffing the warscrolls all around so IJ is more of a grindy force than wet noodles unless you Waagh-bomb the enemy. If the Mighty Waaagh is gone, I could see Big G keeping his command ability, which would be super useful.

5 minutes ago, Gareth 🍄 said:

2019-09-250kkz8.png

Brutes are 140! Warchanter went way up though but he seems to actually be able to do more than just give +1 to hit like he used to. Brutefist change is nice, too. 

Like many here I absolutely love the Brute models and their rules and this little peek is just glorious.

Edited by ShaneHobbes

4 minutes ago, ShaneHobbes said:

Brutes are 140! Warchanter went way up though but he seems to actually be able to do more than just give +1 to hit like he used to. Brutefist change is nice, too. 

Like many here I absolutely love the Brute models and their rules and this little peek is just glorious.

Warchanter is now +1 damage to each model in the unit!

So according to the twitch preview, we still have the Waaagh bomb (unless they make it once per round), it is just an alligiance ability and no longer Megaboss ability. This couple with Warchanter seems crazy. Granted they have squished weapon profiles for at least the MawKrusha and Megaboss.

Edited by Kasper

Mighty Destroyers is still in, so with a command point and a couple Endless Spells, you can ding your unit but gain a good amount of movement. A Gore-Grunta unit moving 12+Xd6" or Mawkrusha moving 14+Xd6" is a fine trade off for taking ping damage from some of the lesser endless spells like Burning Skull or Gnashing Jaws. 

3 minutes ago, Kasper said:

Warchanter is now +1 damage to each model in the unit!

So according to the twitch preview, we still have the Waaagh bomb (unless they make it once per round), it is just an alligiance ability and no longer Megaboss ability. This couple with Warchanter seems crazy. Granted they have squished weapon profiles for at least the MawKrusha and Megaboss.

In what way did they squish the Mawkrusha?

24 minutes ago, Kasper said:

Tail and fists are 1 profile now. I believe they said 9 attacks, +2/+3/-2/2 damage (down from 3 on the fists). The weapon choices should also be only 1 attack profile.

that was for Gordrakk though, so expect the regular version to most likely be 7 attacks like that, which is sort of the average as before with 4x3 dmg and 1xd3 potential damage. The mount trait boosting that with +1 damage will be crazy good though, something else will have to be incredibly good to match that, and se far we already know about +2 move, 4+ ignore spells and the bellow one I already forgot what did.

If mighty destroyers is still a command ability, then having 2 allegiance and also 1 clan command ability seems a bit over the top, but options are good I guess. I cant recall we have seen anyone get so many command abilities tied to their allegiances though.

Warchanters look incredibly good, +1 damage buffs will be crazy, imagine that in a great whaagh too, with Gordrakk and 2 chanters, you would get the +1 to hit AND +1 to wound buffs by turn 2. Even the lowly ardboyz will be 2 attacks 2+/2+/rend-1/2 damage with those buffs!

5 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

that was for Gordrakk though, so expect the regular version to most likely be 7 attacks like that, which is sort of the average as before with 4x3 dmg and 1xd3 potential damage. The mount trait boosting that with +1 damage will be crazy good though, something else will have to be incredibly good to match that, and se far we already know about +2 move, 4+ ignore spells and the bellow one I already forgot what did.

If mighty destroyers is still a command ability, then having 2 allegiance and also 1 clan command ability seems a bit over the top, but options are good I guess. I cant recall we have seen anyone get so many command abilities tied to their allegiances though.

Warchanters look incredibly good, +1 damage buffs will be crazy, imagine that in a great whaagh too, with Gordrakk and 2 chanters, you would get the +1 to hit AND +1 to wound buffs by turn 2. Even the lowly ardboyz will be 2 attacks 2+/2+/rend-1/2 damage with those buffs!

True about the tail and fists. But imagine the +1 wound and +1 damage on the Big G/ordinary MawKrusha. That's a lot of damage those fists are gonna pump out quite easily.