Are there any rules of one in the GHB 2018?

Could someone with the book please confirm if there are any Rules of One in the GHB? Seeing as all five previous Rules of One are now in the Core Rules, I would assume they are not in the GHB. This would mean that Warscrolls could override the Rules of One, since warscroll > Core Rules, and for example Kroak could cast his spell three times per turn in Matched Play. I've seen a ton of discussion of this online but no one with the GHB has actually confirmed one way or the other.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the BoLS overview, they flip through all the pages detailing the differences between open/narrative and matched play, and there is no mention of rules of 1. Unless there is an FAQ/Errata/warscroll change to state otherwise, multiple casts of Celestial Deliverance, multiple casts of arcane bolt in a Fatesworn Warband, and multiple casts of the Evocator spell are all legal in matched play, as is any other warscroll or battalion ability exception to the core rules.

It does mention that your general is picked when creating your army instead of after set up, and that don't select a new general when it dies though, so you can deny LoN summoning by killing the general in matched play.

5 minutes ago, Carnelian said:

Is there any rule at all preventing spamming the same command ability? Or would say arkhan the blacks ability add 6" to range for each command point he spends?

From what i've seen there is nothing preventing you from spaming the same command ability in the generals handbook. Note my look at said book have been furtive and brief. 

9 hours ago, Nevvermore said:

Could someone with the book please confirm if there are any Rules of One in the GHB? Seeing as all five previous Rules of One are now in the Core Rules, I would assume they are not in the GHB. This would mean that Warscrolls could override the Rules of One, since warscroll > Core Rules, and for example Kroak could cast his spell three times per turn in Matched Play. I've seen a ton of discussion of this online but no one with the GHB has actually confirmed one way or the other.

spells are not abilities. 

24 minutes ago, Arkiham said:

spells are not abilities. 

In the case of the Fatesworn battalion, that's irrelevant, because it's a warscroll ability that allows multiple casts.

For the others: If that were the case, then the new Evocator warscroll would be in conflict with the core rules in all forms of play. The only way for it not to be is to classify magic/spells as abilities. Command abilities, despite being under a different heading than "Abilities" are also mentioned directly under the clarification of warscroll abilities in the new core rules. As the magic subheading falls between the two, and there is an instance of a brand new warscroll that would not work otherwise, it makes the most sense to classify Magic, and all things under the subheading on warscrolls, as warscroll abilities, because saying the ability to cast magic or a particular spell is not an ability is kind of silly, and would mean they wouldn't use any of the clarifications that currently exist in the core rules.

9 minutes ago, MrZakalwe said:

The warscroll doesn't say it would over-ride that rule. 

It doesn't have to. It only has to contradict it.

EDIT: it is the same with the Savage Boar Boyz' ability to retreat and charge. That's against the core rules but it overrides them.

8 minutes ago, Infeston said:

What is with the other Rules of One? Do rolls still always succeed on a 6 and always fail on a 1? 

Yup, they've been hard-baked into the core rules now alongside to-hit, to-wound and to-save rolls as the last rules of one were written (i.e. save roll of 6 isn't an auto save) - page 7 under "Making Attacks" if you want to have a looksie :)

1 hour ago, Aginor said:

It doesn't have to. It only has to contradict it.

EDIT: it is the same with the Savage Boar Boyz' ability to retreat and charge. That's against the core rules but it overrides them.

No

the scroll just says hits generate another hit,

not

hits generate another hit, these addition al hits themselves can generate another hit.

First is covered by core rules, second would overide them

6 minutes ago, Paul Buckler said:

No

the scroll just says hits generate another hit,

not

hits generate another hit, these addition al hits themselves can generate another hit.

First is covered by core rules, second would overide them

Well to be exact, it says: 

"Voracious Appetite: Each time a model from this unit attacks with its Vicious Beak and scores a hit, immediately make another hit roll against the same target. Carry on until a hit roll does not score a hit, then make any wound rolls."

I guess it has room for some rules lawyering.

20 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

Yup, they've been hard-baked into the core rules now alongside to-hit, to-wound and to-save rolls as the last rules of one were written (i.e. save roll of 6 isn't an auto save) - page 7 under "Making Attacks" if you want to have a looksie :)

Thank you very much. ? I have had no time to look into the new core rules at the moment. 

Are all old rules of one in some way in the core rules (besides only able to cast a spell once)?

1 minute ago, Jamopower said:

"Voracious Appetite: Each time a model from this unit attacks with its Vicious Beak and scores a hit, immediately make another hit roll against the same target. Carry on until a hit roll does not score a hit, then make any wound rolls."

It really doesnt.

If a warscroll says "move this unit" it doesn't mean you can move it over terrain, enemy models, and so on because it doesn't say "move this unit ignoring terrain".

You dont *break the rules* with a warscroll unless it *specifically overrides game rules*. These ones do not override the game rules, therefore they do not generate additional attacks

6 minutes ago, ianob said:

It really doesnt.

If a warscroll says "move this unit" it doesn't mean you can move it over terrain, enemy models, and so on because it doesn't say "move this unit ignoring terrain".

You dont *break the rules* with a warscroll unless it *specifically overrides game rules*. These ones do not override the game rules, therefore they do not generate additional attacks

Agreed. Where is Core Rule is specifically governing how a Warscroll Rule works, like limiting exploding attacks, this cannot be overridden (without express wording that it does).

13 minutes ago, Jamopower said:

No room at all, that wording does exactly what it says and the core rules cover it perfectly

7 minutes ago, Infeston said:

Thank you very much. ? I have had no time to look into the new core rules at the moment. 

Are all old rules of one in some way in the core rules (besides only able to cast a spell once)?

They are other than the one regarding rerolls on priority, which I think GW have removed all of the options for re-rolling now.

Yeah, I think parts like " Carry on until a hit roll does not score a hit, then make any wound rolls " could be part for an Errata, but the new corerules are way better than the mess the old ones with the rules of one created.

Especially the rule for magic denying every rule that allows casting the same spell multiple times was a point I hated matched play for (partly because some of those rules were written after the Generals Handbook).

Archived