Let's talk about Endless Spells

Aginor

I was going to attempt to rank The Endless Spells Worth Taking, and I think there's definitely a short list of the best of the lot (QUICK TAKE: 1. Cogs 2. Geminids 3. Lifeswarm 4. Vortex 5. Pendulum 6. Swords 7. Shackles 8. Spellportals), but I'll boil this down to one question:

Are the Chronomantic Cogs not auto-include?

Originally I was kind of bitter about this, as Obviously Good things are annoying to me yet quite common in GW rules sets, but I'm not seeing them as ubiquitously as I thought I would, so I'm curious if I missed something, besides the odd points cost. +1 cast in an edition about wizards seems too legit!

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Boss Salvage said:

I was going to attempt to rank The Endless Spells Worth Taking, and I think there's definitely a short list of the best of the lot (QUICK TAKE: 1. Cogs 2. Geminids 3. Lifeswarm 4. Vortex 5. Pendulum 6. Swords 7. Shackles 8. Spellportals), but I'll boil this down to one question:

Are the Chronomantic Cogs not auto-include?

Originally I was kind of bitter about this, as Obviously Good things are annoying to me yet quite common in GW rules sets, but I'm not seeing them as ubiquitously as I thought I would, so I'm curious if I missed something, besides the odd points cost. +1 cast in an edition about wizards seems too legit!

I'll test with the cogs, I think they have a place, but they're definitely not auto include.  Many armies simply don't need the added mobility.

Now the Stormcast Comet?  That thing is bonkers for Stormcast armies.  

36" range plus a 10" AoE and it's not predatory so it stays right where you put it and just pulses mortal wounds every battle round.  

The best thing about cogs is the versatility, if you don't need the mobility because you got where you needed to go, you can switch modes and get an extra spell cast. I think that is a pretty good list, but think the spellportal is top 3 because it opens so many doors and makes many rarely used spells deadly and useful. Geminids just does too much for how much it costs and is pretty much autoinclude as well. 

It's fairly uncertain to base any strategies around, especially on early turns where it's the most useful as it's 7+ to cast and if the opponent is on unbinding range, you're looking at about 25% chance of getting it off if you don't have any buffs to casting. That applies for most of the endless spells, they are nice if you have Nagash or other caster that has nice bonuses on casting, but on a regular wizard they're pretty hit or miss.

The spellportals originally seemed like an auto-include thing, but I'm no longer as convinced, thanks to them being usable by both sides and any plan hinging on them being shut down so easily - i.e. while they present a Turn 1 magical alpha opportunity, all you have to do is shut the spellportals down and that plan is shot for the game, as distances close so quickly. But maybe there are really short range offensive spells I don't know about? I could see a 6-12" mega-nuke getting repeated mileage out of the boosted distance, however I'm just not sure if those spells actually exist.

^ Which is also why I rate the vortex higher. Get that range boost you're looking for, without the enemy being able to use it, and for cheaper.

I was going to take Cogs...  No brainer.  My army can run + charge pretty much at will.   Then I thought Gems would be good for a debuff,  for added staying power. Then Gravetide,  because half my army flies and won't be hindered by it. 

Then I realized I need more wizards. 

I'm assembling my set right now, but I think GW may have made a mistake with either the bases or the instructions. I seem to have 1 less 40mm base than I need, and a spare 50mm. Anyone else seeing this, or have I made a mistake?

45 minutes ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

I'm assembling my set right now, but I think GW may have made a mistake with either the bases or the instructions. I seem to have 1 less 40mm base than I need, and a spare 50mm. Anyone else seeing this, or have I made a mistake?

I read on one of the threads that there is an error and I think it's to do with the one of the head models. Have a search. 

1 hour ago, syph0n said:

I read on one of the threads that there is an error and I think it's to do with the one of the head models. Have a search. 

All of GWs photos has all of the models that you're instructed to build with an E2 shown on a 40mm base. So right now it seems that you just have to randomly pick one of the single 40mm spells and put in on your extra 50mm. As far as I've seen, the suggestion that the burning head goes on the 50mm, is just "random internet person's" guess, unless someone has a link to an official GW post stating which one should be changed to the 50mm(the basing document isn't helpful here).

Can confirm pendulum is bonkers. great for taking out individual heroes, and even better if you play it as the 2nd player in  a battle round. 

Not sure how effective they'll be, but planning to try out the teeth and the gravetide in a bravery bomb-style StD list. Confident the gnashers will do their thing, but I think the difficulty in placing and moving the gravetide will hinder its playability. 

9 minutes ago, CyderPirate said:

Can confirm pendulum is bonkers. great for taking out individual heroes, and even better if you play it as the 2nd player in  a battle round. 

Not sure how effective they'll be, but planning to try out the teeth and the gravetide in a bravery bomb-style StD list. Confident the gnashers will do their thing, but I think the difficulty in placing and moving the gravetide will hinder its playability. 

Lol. So no 'Look out, Sir' for the pendulum? A definite 'swing' (ahem) away from shooting units and towards magic then?

25 minutes ago, Kirjava13 said:

So you get second turn, cast the pendulum, then ideally take second turn the round after so you can move it twice in a row, correct? 

Devious.

Yeah, sort of. If you've got the second turn of the round you cast it, and it'll move twice before the opponent gets a movement phase. So if you move it to within an inch of an enemy hero, they take the D6 mortal wounds. At the start of the next round, it moves again - either going over the same hero (because it just moves in a straight line, once its moving, no-one can change its direction), or ending in the same place.  It moves up to 8" - it doesn't have to move the full distance. So if you do it right, it can do 2D6 mortal wounds within the space of 2 turns.

Tactically, is it better to have 2 predatory spells or 1?  With 2, you are guaranteed to control one of them a turn, but so is your opponent.  With 1, you leave it up to a coin flip. 

There also seems to be that option to dispel and recast, which could conceivably earn you 2 uses a turn  (win the coin flip, go second, move the spell, then dispel and cast again).

I think there is a really good argument that pendulum can only ever move in a straight line in one direction.  

"Whenever you set up an Aethervoid Pendulum, you must place it lengthways in the direction you wish it to move. Whenever it moves, move it in a straight line in that direction."

The phrase "that direction" makes me believe that it can only ever go forward, as backward is not he same direction. I think the intent of this spell is to move across the battlefield until it reaches the edge and dissipates. 

54 minutes ago, Jgroover said:

I think there is a really good argument that pendulum can only ever move in a straight line in one direction.  

"Whenever you set up an Aethervoid Pendulum, you must place it lengthways in the direction you wish it to move. Whenever it moves, move it in a straight line in that direction."

The phrase "that direction" makes me believe that it can only ever go forward, as backward is not he same direction. I think the intent of this spell is to move across the battlefield until it reaches the edge and dissipates. 

Well, in Math the direction is basically the "angle" of the movement, like a vector... The magnitude is how much it "travels", measured by it's maximum distance, so it can be back or forward, depending of a positive or negative magnitude... Make sense?

so you set the "direction" and then the magnitude of how much it travels, back or forward up to 8"...

Hehehehe, difficult to exlain that in english... not my native language...

Cheers

AJ

On 6/29/2018 at 10:18 AM, Boss Salvage said:

But maybe there are really short range offensive spells I don't know about? I could see a 6-12" mega-nuke getting repeated mileage out of the boosted distance, however I'm just not sure if those spells actually exist.

Destruction has a bunch of short range nukes.  There are some that are single target and others that are AoEs.  A number of them are good spells but never get used because they require the caster to get absurdly close to the enemy.  Being able to pop out a spell portal and then cast these AoE spells from it change these spells entirely.  There are also some spells that continue hitting more targets, like Foot of Gork or Curse of the Badmoon and being able to better direct the target of those spells gives them a fair boost as well.

So, in response to your post - those spells do exist.

34 minutes ago, Antonio Rodrigues said:

Well, in Math the direction is basically the "angle" of the movement, like a vector... The magnitude is how much it "travels", measured by it's maximum distance, so it can be back or forward, depending of a positive or negative magnitude... Make sense?

so you set the "direction" and then the magnitude of how much it travels, back or forward up to 8"...

Hehehehe, difficult to exlain that in english... not my native language...

Cheers

AJ

That makes sense mathematically but not necessarily linguistically. Reading the rules for the new Shyish Reaper spell makes it more clear imo since the reaper says to pivot it then move in that direction.

44 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

So, in response to your post - those spells do exist.

I talked a bunch on Saturday with a Khorne player who's ready to pack it in because of the Spellportals, and then I played a game with my Tzeentch dudes and was stifled by how hard it is to cast a bunch of spells when they are all 18" at most, which come to think of it is very standard for AOS. Particularly when you can't move before casting (unlike 40k).

So I think I have to backtrack here and admit that the Spellportals are very good. The Khorne guy was doom-n-glooming because all he could imagine was his synergy-providing heroes being sniped out in the opening two turns with him having no real way to retaliate - he can't even dispel the Spellportals as all of the Khorne things unbind things, not dispel! (Semantics strike again -_-) I don't think the Spellportals are as auto-include as Khorne lad thinks (he was urging a ban on them in the name of competitive play), but they seem both very strong and pretty important for multi-wizard armies, and Tzeentch in particular, where you need to push for fate points early if you hope to summon something useful.

Archived