Malign Sorcery AMA

ianob

A couple of questions on the Umbral Spell Portal…

1)      “If a Wizard successfully casts a spell while they are within 1” of an Umbral Spellportal model, the range and visibility of the spell can be measured from the other Umbral Spellportal model from this endless spell”.

Do we think this would apply for unbinding too?  i.e. if you were trying to unbind a subsequent spell, could you argue that your unbinding wizard only needs to be within 30” of the second portal?

I’m arguing No here, because you need to be in range of the enemy Wizard to unbind (the wording doesn’t mention the Wizard themselves being brought into range).  So it would only affect the range of the spell itself, and not give the opposing army the opportunity to unbind from within range of the second portal.

What do other people think?

2)      Do we think you can throw a second Endless Spell straight through there?  It does specifically mention that they can effectively move through when they finish a move within 6” of the portal (you can set it up again within 6” of the other portal).

But could you set up for example an Aethervoid Pendulum within 6” of the second portal and then move 8” from there?  The advantage obviously being that a lot of endless spells benefit from moving across units, so you would want to move them after they go through the portal if possible.  So the question here being, does the range that they are set up from the Wizard count as part of the range of the spell?  Or even the range that they can move (so you would move them 8” from the second portal).  RAW I’m thinking Yes here, because there is nothing in the second part of the statement that precludes it – it just offers an additional way of projecting them through the portal.  I don’t see how you can argue that the range it moves is not part of the range of the spell, so again RAW I believe you could measure that from the second portal.

Again, what do other people think?

Note: If we did think that the set up range is also part of the range of the spell, the Burning Head just became amazing.  Set it up wholly within 3” of the second portal near your opponent.  Move it 9” across some units in a loop, doing mortals to them, and ending up within 6” of that portal.  Then set it up again on your side of the board, to give a buff to your guys (noting that it does not specify a phase, so you can reroll in the shooting phase too).

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think point 2 could be argued both ways.  I'd probably veer onto the no as the rule for endless spells state set up wholey within x" of the caster.  That said predatory endless spells can be "catapulted" so who knows!  Probably one to send to the FAQ team :)

6 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

A couple of questions on the Umbral Spell Portal…

1)      “If a Wizard successfully casts a spell while they are within 1” of an Umbral Spellportal model, the range and visibility of the spell can be measured from the other Umbral Spellportal model from this endless spell”.

2)      Do we think you can throw a second Endless Spell straight through there?  It does specifically mention that they can effectively move through when they finish a move within 6” of the portal (you can set it up again within 6” of the other portal).

1) It has to be within 30" of the wizard. No question there.

2) No. It teleports when it "finishes its move". If you set it up next to the portal, it still hasnt moved. So only post-move teleports, no place-teleport-move.

4 minutes ago, MrCharisma said:

Is Chained Colossus a matched play scenario?

The two scenarios at the back of the book are intended for matched play according to the book, yes. Personally I can't see how Chained Colossus would work in a tournament environment, so I guess much like the rest of the scenarios, it's going to be up to TOs if they want to run that (it's definitely at the narrative end of matched play scenarios, and logistically you'd have to figure out where to get all of the purple suns from for your tables).

1 minute ago, ianob said:

The two scenarios at the back of the book are intended for matched play according to the book, yes. Personally I can't see how Chained Colossus would work in a tournament environment, so I guess much like the rest of the scenarios, it's going to be up to TOs if they want to run that (it's definitely at the narrative end of matched play scenarios, and logistically you'd have to figure out where to get all of the purple suns from for your tables).

From what I've heard of this scenario, it sounds like a lot of fun and something I'm looking at doing at my tournament. Worst case, I'll have MDF bases to represent the Purple Sun.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, MrCharisma said:

From what I've heard of this scenario, it sounds like a lot of fun and something I'm looking at doing at my tournament. Worst case, I'll have MDF bases to represent the Purple Sun.

Thank you!

Probably want to use a tennis ball on a stick rather than a plain MDF base as purple sun blocks line of sight :D

13 minutes ago, Carnelian said:

Can't most people see under it?

Yeh, the chance of the Sun blocking LoS to something is the same as the chance of most models in AoS blocking LoS to something.... zero.

52 minutes ago, ianob said:

Yeh, the chance of the Sun blocking LoS to something is the same as the chance of most models in AoS blocking LoS to something.... zero.

Yeah I hope that is the rule they fix next. It should just be a virtual cylinder of base size and fixed height for every model.

1 hour ago, Aginor said:

Yeah I hope that is the rule they fix next. It should just be a virtual cylinder of base size and fixed height for every model.

That would be great but that is not games workshop. I would be confident in saying that that will never happen!

Has anyone put much thought into the Chromatic Cogs? That's the one that boosts movement I think. I play a cavalry army, so thinking of it's potential utility and I think it's also quite cheap. 

Also, what sort of Endless Spells might benefit the following?

2x Black Dragon, 1x Hydra, Medusa, 5x Blood Sisters, 3x5 Drakespawn, Chariot, Battalion (artifact and CP for 2nd black dragon)

It weighs in currently at 1980 but will be quite a bit cheaper in AoS2 (-20 Hydras, -20 Drakespawn). Gives me a bit of wiggle room. Might replace the Sisters for Warlocks. 

If I can't find a use, I might as well take the points for CPs and save myself some money! 

Can an allied hero take a realm specific artifact? I know that if I have a specific allegience e.g. stormcast and I ally in a hurricanum I cant give it a relic because the hurricanum does not have the stormcast keyword for allegience purposes but I was wondering how that would work for these generic realm artifacts.

40 minutes ago, Kirjava13 said:

I don't have it yet but I thiiiiiink, from listening to Facehammer, that the answers to those questions are 1) no and 2) no.

I thought from Facehammer that 2) was a yes as Russ is talking about dispelling the portal on the same turn it was cast...but I also think I read somewhere that that was not possivle

2 hours ago, Skinnyboy said:

Can an allied hero take a realm specific artifact? I know that if I have a specific allegience e.g. stormcast and I ally in a hurricanum I cant give it a relic because the hurricanum does not have the stormcast keyword for allegience purposes but I was wondering how that would work for these generic realm artifacts.

Looking at the new Core Rules it would appear that they would be able to take a realm based artefact, unless that artefact is bound to your armies allegiance someway (I've not seen the realm artefact rules yet).

2 hours ago, Carnelian said:

Can a wizard dispel multiple endless spells if it can cast multiple spells?

Can a wizard dispel it's own endless spell in the same turn it cast it?

IIRC it is yes and no.

The second is not possible because dispelling an endless spell must be done at the start of the hero phase.

Not 100% sure though.

21 hours ago, syph0n said:

Has anyone put much thought into the Chromatic Cogs? That's the one that boosts movement I think. I play a cavalry army, so thinking of it's potential utility and I think it's also quite cheap. 

To quote myself: I watched a game using the Chonomatic Cogs and I thought it looked really good fun. Slowing time to give a caster another spell, or speeding it up to boost movement seems really strong. Either for the turn you intend to charge (great for Deepkin, DoK or cavalry armies) to gain an extra 2" or to go for last minute objective nabbing. I quite like how the lower points spells seem to work. My issue is squeezing in enough casters as allies!

On 6/18/2018 at 3:12 PM, GeneralZero said:

Wanted them ASAP, now I'm sharing your point. It'll be a purchase enventually later..maybe.  And I've seen the mini, they are not super detailled, so.....nah....

Yeah, and you pay for them points wise too. Now that sounds ok if you’re planning to cast the same spell over and over during the game, but GW dropped the bombshell saying that these models aren’t gonna be available separately. You gonna need to buy multiple copies of the MS box set if you wanna field more than one purple sun in a game.

Apparently the sprues aren’t designed to be produced individually. And who wants more than 1 copy of the rule book? ?

This is getting a teensy bit suckier tbh.

Archived