Malign Sorcery AMA

ianob

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, MacDuff said:

When an endless spell is called predatory, what rules about this label make it predatory, after the caster first moves it?

I’m not really sure what you mean by this. Predatory spells have the rule “predatory spell” on their warscroll.

1 hour ago, ianob said:

I’m not really sure what you mean by this. Predatory spells have the rule “predatory spell” on their warscroll.

Who gets to move it the second turn, or does it randomly go for the closest unit?

I got to look at this book today and I love it, can't wait for the 30th. Unfortunately I was running late and I didn't have a lot of time, so I didn't get to check out the thing I'm burning with curiosity about: Skirmish. I gather this is a battleplan, some traits, and a few other things based around... something... at the edge of the realm of Aqshy? Can you tell us any more about it?

What I did get to see (which consumed all my time with the book) was the lore, and the stuff about the nature and varied forms of Realmstone really stood out. Realmstone in Ghur being amber bones, Chamon having quicksilver stone that forms perfectly spherical drops however it's cut or divided, etc... so much modelling, basing and objective-making inspiration there.

Unless it's already being discussed elsewhere, maybe you could give us a quick recap on Realmstone if you get five minutes?

8 hours ago, MacDuff said:

Who gets to move it the second turn, or does it randomly go for the closest unit?

Start of the battle round players alternate moving all Pred spells on the board. The player who is going second that round moves the first one.

2 minutes ago, Aginor said:

Wait, what?

That would mean that if there is only one spell on the board , only the second player moves it.

I thought each player is moving each spell, with the second player always doing the first move.

Nope, each spell only moves once per battle round. Or more accurately, you can’t select a spell that has already been selected this round. So if there’s only one, the second player is the only person getting a move! This has been known for a while though, it was spoiled weeks ago. It’s an intended advantage of going second.

1 minute ago, ianob said:

Nope, each spell only moves once per battle round. Or more accurately, you can’t select a spell that has already been selected this round. So if there’s only one, the second player is the only person getting a move! This has been known for a while though, it was spoiled weeks ago. It’s an intended advantage of going second.

Wow I completely misunderstood that! Thanks for clarifying!

7 hours ago, Antonio Rodrigues said:

Hi! Any chance for the rough dimensions of the Spell’s bases? I would like to proxy them in a game today, and knowing the base sizes would help!

thanks! ?

AJ

Geminids, Spellportal, Swords, Flaming Skull, and Shackles are all on 40mm bases.

Malevolent Maelstrom and Chronomatic Cogs are on 50mm bases.

Lifeswarm and Pendulum are on 60mm x 40mm bases - slightly wider than standard cavalry bases.

Purple Sun and Gnashing Maw are on 90x65 bases - the same length as Drakoth/Khorgorath bases, but wider.

Grave tide looks like it is on a ~160 x ~100 (It's probably 170x105) the base is split in two on the sprue, so it's harder to judge than the rest. It's by far the largest base in the box.

Prismatic Palisade is on a 170  x ~40 mm base.

This is just from measuring an image of the sprues and getting a glance at some built ones at a local store. It's just the larger 4 that I'm not certain of.

Ok since it was brought up in the other thread, can you please clarify:

1. Is it possible for an army to cast two different endless spells (for example a Balewind Vortex and an Umbral Spell Portal) in the same round?

2. Is it possible to do so with one wizard?

I thought the answers were

1. Yes

2. No

but I cannot find the source anymore...

4 minutes ago, Aginor said:

Ok since it was brought up in the other thread, can you please clarify:

1. Is it possible for an army to cast two different endless spells (for example a Balewind Vortex and an Umbral Spell Portal) in the same round?

2. Is it possible to do so with one wizard?

I thought the answers were

1. Yes

2. No

but I cannot find the source anymore...

You are correct on both counts. Each wizard can only attempt one endless per turn, that’s the only restriction.

6 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

That makes the magic super week. And in my humble opinion super dumb. I've read 1 attempt per turn per wizzard. I've never read 1 attempt per turn whatever.

I'll repeat this again :)

Each wizard may only attempt to cast one type of endless spell once per turn. Different Wizards can try to cast the same or different endless spells, but each wizard can only try to cast on type.

The Malign Sorcery rules don't stop you trying to cast the same endless spell with the same wizard. However, endless spells are still spells, so in Matched Play the rule of one still stops your army attempting the same spell more than once.

3 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

which make then Magic ES super weak (due to randomness and unbinding and price)

I dont think they're super weak. I do think that the damage-based ES are not something you'd bother paying points for, but the utility and ones are mostly very playable. Both spell range extenders, shackles, cogs, maelstrom. The debuffers, Geminids are great, Palisade is not great but usable. Burning Head if you have a specific unit you really want to buff.

I originally thought the same as you, but the more I've thought about it, the more I think that they will see play - but it'll be a very conscious listbuilding choice due to their cost. Which is good. Autoincludes are bad for the game.

Just now, GeneralZero said:

which make then Magic ES super weak (due to randomness and unbinding and price)

Yeah, but that depends on playing Matched Play, or narrative play or Skirmish, I guess.

So far, Maligned Sorcery really feels like a "well it would be nice to have it, but..." set.

For the price of this box set with some cool minis you won't really use much, and rules that should be elsewhere if not for the minis, some players will probably need to buy a start collecting set to bulk up on summonable units instead, and that would be a better purchase.

My feeling is that Maligned Sorcery is a great narrative tool, with little use outside of that. Certain spells will be useful, but not all. And in a year of regular gaming might only use half the models a few times or more. 

I reckon I'll buy it eventually if I ever sit down to write this epic narrative campaign I've promised my son, but until then... nah.

6 minutes ago, Mcthew said:

I reckon I'll buy it eventually if I ever sit down to write this epic narrative campaign I've promised my son, but until then... nah.

Wanted them ASAP, now I'm sharing your point. It'll be a purchase enventually later..maybe.  And I've seen the mini, they are not super detailled, so.....nah....

25 minutes ago, ianob said:

I dont think they're super weak. I do think that the damage-based ES are not something you'd bother paying points for, but the utility and ones are mostly very playable. Both spell range extenders, shackles, cogs, maelstrom. The debuffers, Geminids are great, Palisade is not great but usable. Burning Head if you have a specific unit you really want to buff.

I originally thought the same as you, but the more I've thought about it, the more I think that they will see play - but it'll be a very conscious listbuilding choice due to their cost. Which is good. Autoincludes are bad for the game.

I agrre with all of this but would think that the damage dealing spells will see play for armies that otherwise lack ranged attacks that can snipe key units. Those armies get much more relative benefits from those damage dealing spells (just a shame that khorne have no wizards!)

Archived