Malign Sorcery AMA

ianob

19 minutes ago, Jamopower said:

Would guess that it would be more of a case for tournament packs instead of General's handbook. Hard to see having tast kind of rules in the book as they alter the original rules quite much. The realm spells sound like perfect example of narrative/open content. 

The spells are fine, all 7 of them per realm. But the realmscapes and command abilities are all a bit narrative.

13 minutes ago, Aginor said:

Hmmm can we maybe umbind the dispelling attempt? Is it a spell?

Also the answer to my earlier question might save the Palisade: if the dispeller has to beat the original casting roll and not the value on the warscroll it might be less severe.

No, and it isn’t a spell. And you have to beat the casting value on the scroll.

i don’t think that predatory endless spells are much good, to be honest. Competitively speaking. The utility ones are fine - cogs, both range extenders for example. Even if they get offensively dispelled you recast them next turn and you get to use them before that point too.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, they managed to mess it up again.

I am a bit angry about that because I was really excited about the spells. :(

To further elaborate on that: if they at least let have us one of the above it would be an option.

Or maybe if they let us reserve points and choose spells depending on the tactical situation.

Grrrr....

Btw what are the movement and line of sight rules for endless spells?

Do units have to walk around them?

Do they block line of sight?

Are they considered to be enemy models so they would prevent ranged units from shooting?

(Yes, grabbing straws here)

24 minutes ago, Carnelian said:

I think you are over reacting a bit. The pallisade is an incredibly powerful model if it doesn't get dispelled and each time it is dispelled that is one less spell that your opponent has to do something else nasty with.

Probably. You are right that at least it costs the enemy a spell slot.

25 minutes ago, Carnelian said:

I think you are over reacting a bit. The pallisade is an incredibly powerful model if it doesn't get dispelled and each time it is dispelled that is one less spell that your opponent has to do something else nasty with.

Also one more spell you have to cast to get it back... and you paid points for it, your opponent didn’t.

its certainly not the worst endless spell but I can’t see it being used competitively outside of metas with massive amounts of shooting AND small elite things to be protected worth a significant investment of points and spell casts.

anyway, off topic for an AMA thread. Need an endless spell discussion thread :)

4 hours ago, ianob said:

You target them in your hero phase instead of casting a spell and you have to equal or beat their casting value.

interestingly this is not a normal unbind it’s an option for Wizards, so items or abilities that let you unbind like a wizard don’t let you do the same to endless spells.

So a Dispossessed Runelord can't dispel endless spells? :( That's really disappointing!

11 minutes ago, Spadge said:

So a Dispossessed Runelord can't dispel endless spells? :( That's really disappointing!

Yep :(

4 minutes ago, ogmaadn said:

So what's the average point cost for the endless spells? Which one is the most expensive one and how much it costs?

They cost 20-60 for the most part. Most of them are 40-60. Purple Sun is 100.

11 minutes ago, RoloMcFury said:

Does anything prevent a wizard from dispelling an endless spell the same turn it is cast?

Also the spell portal is 60 points.

Pretty sure it’s 40 but I’m mobile now without book to hand. Dispelling it the turn it’s cast? You mean the same battle round? 

5 minutes ago, Condottiero Magno said:

Is Malign Sorcery a required supplement, like the Warhammer Magic boxes for WFB 4th and 5th Ed., or stick with the core rules, even if fielding a wizard? I'm trying to minimize on clutter concerning  products with planned obsolescence...

We still need to see what the GHb says about realms and spells (or what tournament packs say about them if not) to understand how MS will be used but if Inhad to guess I’d say that al of this will almost certainly be the norm in match play so I would definitely pick it up. Plus it’s just a great product in general and endless spells are cool.

14 minutes ago, RoloMcFury said:

Does anything prevent a wizard from dispelling an endless spell the same turn it is cast?

I haven't heard anything saying no, so... yes I guess. Also interested in that.

7 minutes ago, Condottiero Magno said:

Is Malign Sorcery a required supplement, like the Warhammer Magic boxes for WFB 4th and 5th Ed., or stick with the core rules, even if fielding a wizard? I'm trying to minimize on clutter concerning  products with planned obsolescence...

Not yet 100%  known, but I am pretty sure it will be allowed/required. So if you don't want to use stuff out of it for your army you probably won't have to, but you should expect your opponents to do so.

Just now, ianob said:

Pretty sure it’s 40 but I’m mobile now without book to hand.

It is 60.

There are definitely a few cases where I’d want to dispel an Endless the same turn I cast it. For example, Nagash opens the Spell Portal, lobs some horrific sorcery through, then closes that bad boy up since he’ll be moving down the field anyway.

5 minutes ago, RoloMcFury said:

There are definitely a few cases where I’d want to dispel an Endless the same turn I cast it. For example, Nagash opens the Spell Portal, lobs some horrific sorcery through, then closes that bad boy up since he’ll be moving down the field anyway.

Oh you mean dispel your own spells? We were talking about something similar with purple sun etc earlier.  I’ve not seen any rule against it but I’ll have a read for any friendly/enemy wording that might prevent it when I’m back at home, which is the only thing I can think of that might prevent it.

Can the  spells in Malign Sorcery be used by units that's work like wizards such as pink horrors, doomfire warlocks and sisters of the thorn.

Can these units use the new realm spells.

Can these units cast and dispel endless spells.

18 minutes ago, RoloMcFury said:

You dispel an endless spell at the start of your hero phase, so no cast-use-dispel your own spellportal.

8 minutes ago, Tooshort said:

Can the  spells in Malign Sorcery be used by units that's work like wizards such as pink horrors, doomfire warlocks and sisters of the thorn.

Can these units use the new realm spells.

Can these units cast and dispel endless spells.

Theyre spell tables and have rules for who knows them. Currently the rules are "all wizards know all 7 realm spells for the realm you're in" so yes in theory, depending on GHB.

Yes

Yes

There is no functional rules difference in horrors, warlocks etc to normal wizards - there never has been. Only specific spell lores have ever said who can use them, the units themselves have never been any different.

1 minute ago, Nin Win said:

What about how the endless spells work as models?  They count as normal models right, so you can't walk over them?  No surfing the grave tide unless you fly? 

Correct. They count as friendly models to both sides once summoned.

What if you don't have enough movement left to move over enemy models with a predatory spell? Do they have to stay in front of a unit and can they then hinder movement in any way?

Some of them have quite large bases, so I can't imagine that they are easy to place on the board...

18 minutes ago, Elmir said:

What if you don't have enough movement left to move over enemy models with a predatory spell? Do they have to stay in front of a unit and can they then hinder movement in any way?

Some of them have quite large bases, so I can't imagine that they are easy to place on the board...

Its a model. Its friendly to both sides. You are in charge of it when you move it. So if it has a move of 9", you can move it up to 9", but it still has to be a legal move. So you just move it less if it cant cross an obstacle or unit. That isn't spelled out in Malign Sorcery, but it doesn't need to be, just basic rulebook rules cover it fine.

Archived