Malign Sorcery AMA

ianob

I know a lot of people won't be able to make it down to their FLGS, and there aren't a lot of leaks online about Malign Sorcery.

So since I'm in full excitement mode today (aren't we all?), if you have any questions about Malign Sorcery, ask away and I'll do my best to answer.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Carnelian said:

What's it all about then?

Bring more specific, is there a good chunk of lore in the book?

6 spells for each realm, dependent on what realm you're playing in. 12 artifacts for each realm, dependent on what realm you choose for your army to be from (6 weapons and 6 relics). Battleplans (2 of which are designed for matched play). Rules for adding extra magic to Skirmish and Path to Glory, too.

Yes. Much like the main rulebook, it's a return to old-style "fleshed out" books. Loads of lore, why magic has surged due to the Soul Wars, etc. A  whole page or more about the origin of each endless spell, the "personalities" of some of the better known endless spells (endless spells are sort of like semi-sentient beings, some of them have names, there is a great story about a particularly predatory purple sun!)

Thanks for doing this!

Can you take more than 1 Realm artifact? For example, if you took a warscroll battalion and could therefore access 2 artifacts, could both those artifacts be from your chosen Realm?

The wording GW used when talking about it implied you were limited to 1.

Just now, Chunk said:

Thanks for doing this!

Can you take more than 1 Realm artifact? For example, if you took a warscroll battalion and could therefore access 2 artifacts, could both those artifacts be from your chosen Realm?

The wording GW used when talking about it implied you were limited to 1.

You choose what realm your army is from for the purposes of artifacts (not spells, they’re based on what realm you’re fighting in)

They work exactly like any other artifact tables other than that. So extras from battalions can be chosen from these tables too, no limit.  Unless I’m missing something, but I don’t think I am!

11 minutes ago, Chunk said:

Marvelous! My Moonclan get a little bit of love, in a roundabout way...

Shame the allegiance ability never got fixed but there is that persistent rumour about Destruction getting the next round of releases so here’s hoping!

GW PDF Links for the Free Warscrolls for Endless Spells from Malign Sorcery 

Is there anything in there that helps with defense? Especially against Mortal Wounds?
Or at least something that could make up for the nerfed mystic shield?
My army has squishy heroes, I need something to help those.

Healing would also be nice.

7 minutes ago, Aginor said:

Is there anything in there that helps with defense? Especially against Mortal Wounds?

Sounds like you need a prismatic pallisade

8 minutes ago, Aginor said:

Healing would also be nice.

Yes. There is a 4+ vs all mortals artifact, a  5+ vs all mortals artifact that reflects it on a 6, multiple artifacts that grant a 6+ vs all wounds and an artifact that grants a 4+ vs all wounds for one turn. Loads of choice!

For casters there are lots of spells that buff the caster. One of the best in the book forces rerolls of successful wounds vs you (hi Nagash self buff), there is a reroll all saves buff, and more.

1 minute ago, Carnelian said:

Sounds like you need a prismatic pallisade

That one is already planned in. But it neither heals nor helps against Mortal Wounds. Also it can be easily dispelled I fear.

2 minutes ago, ianob said:

Yes. There is a 4+ vs all mortals artifact, a  5+ vs all mortals artifact that reflects it on a 6, multiple artifacts that grant a 6+ vs all wounds and an artifact that grants a 4+ vs all wounds for one turn. Loads of choice!

Sounds good. Now I only have to play two or more bataillons to get those artefacts on my heroes I guess. :D

15 minutes ago, Aginor said:

Sounds good. Now I only have to play two or more bataillons to get those artefacts on my heroes I guess. :D

They’re mostly from different realms and you can only pick one realm. So no taking all of them unfortunately :)

Im not a fan of prismatic palisade. Too easy to dispel, costs too many points, and can give you -1 to hit if you’re too close to it (which you want to be for cutting down LoS angles). I don’t think it quite functions how it needs to to fulfil its role.

Just now, Drib said:

How does dispelling Endless Spells work?

You target them in your hero phase instead of casting a spell and you have to equal or beat their casting value.

interestingly this is not a normal unbind it’s an option for Wizards, so items or abilities that let you unbind like a wizard don’t let you do the same to endless spells.

30 points isn't that expensive, but yeah the dispelling thing is a problem.

Btw does the book say how dispelling endless spells works? You sacrifice a spell slot, and then? No roll? It always works?

Edit:sniped

Edit: so... You have to beat the minimum casting value that is on the warscroll? Not the one that was used to cast it?

Dammit. That makes it near useless since eveybody will just dispell it and then shoot you anyway...

Edit: what is the range to dispell an endless spell? Please say it isn't 30.

3 minutes ago, ianob said:

They’re mostly from different realms and you can only pick one realm. So no taking all of them unfortunately :)

Im not a fan of prismatic palisade. Too easy to dispel, costs too many points, and can give you -1 to hit if you’re too close to it (which you want to be for cutting down LoS angles). I don’t think it quite functions how it needs to to fulfil its role.

I really like the rules for it because it comes at a cost- but blocking line of sight to a key character for a turn can be super good for some armies.

3 minutes ago, Carnelian said:

I really like the rules for it because it comes at a cost- but blocking line of sight to a key character for a turn can be super good for some armies.

Yeah but it isn't worth a lot if the enemy can just easily dispel it.

18 minutes ago, ianob said:

You target them in your hero phase instead of casting a spell and you have to equal or beat their casting value.

interestingly this is not a normal unbind it’s an option for Wizards, so items or abilities that let you unbind like a wizard don’t let you do the same to endless spells.

Is there a range you have to be in to try to dispel them?

24 minutes ago, smucreo said:

Do you have to play with the Realm rules to get access to the realm artifacts when list building? Meaning, do you have to use the realm terrain rules? 

Eee so this is a big question that we talk about a lot in ep 4/5 of the podcast. It’s probably the most important unknown for 2.0 right now.

You get access to the whole spell table if you’re playing in the appropriate realm, but the realms are 100% not viable competitively. So we’re expecting either a GHB matched play-specific way of accessing these spells or that you will fight in a realm without using the realmscape and command ability rules in matched play.

18 minutes ago, ianob said:

Eee so this is a big question that we talk about a lot in ep 4/5 of the podcast. It’s probably the most important unknown for 2.0 right now.

You get access to the whole spell table if you’re playing in the appropriate realm, but the realms are 100% not viable competitively. So we’re expecting either a GHB matched play-specific way of accessing these spells or that you will fight in a realm without using the realmscape and command ability rules in matched play.

Would guess that it would be more of a case for tournament packs instead of General's handbook. Hard to see having tast kind of rules in the book as they alter the original rules quite much. The realm spells sound like perfect example of narrative/open content. 

Hmmm can we maybe umbind the dispelling attempt? Is it a spell?

Also the answer to my earlier question might save the Palisade: if the dispeller has to beat the original casting roll and not the value on the warscroll it might be less severe.

Archived