Aerial Battles

Gecktron

With the first preview of the new Generals Handbook coming in we also got a look at the rules for playing Aerial Battles in the mortal realms!

They start talking about them at around 2:00

Aerial.png.27fb407734eda87791c56f3082e8e131.png

(@ Mods, If this shows too much message me so I can take it down)

There are two ways to play these aerial battles:
First, have two separated tables. One for the dirty ground peasants ( :P ), and one for your glorious airships. Only flying models can start on the second table but flying units are also free to switch between these two tables while units from the second table with enough range can try to take pot shoots at the flying units. My favorite part is whenever a big enough flying unit is destroyed units on the ground could be hit by the debris.

The second way to play is to have only flying units with non-flying units confined to especially high mountains or towers. 

The Handbook also includes special objectives and twists as well as unique battle plans. 

My group has quite a few Kharadron Overlords players and Im itching for a giant air battle between two duardin armadas. What about you? Anyone planing on trying these rules when the Handbook comes out?

Sadly the "flying" units in my army dont really look like theyre flying so in terms of immersion would look weird (bringing a slab of ground and a pillar with them up into the skies). 

I am however excited for the underground battles that they mentioned, especially if we get unique subteranean rules (earthquakes, cave ins, darkness specific rules etc)

Oh man, I will definitely try that with my Seraphon.

Swarms of Terradons, the Slann putting half the army up there with his command ability, Air dogfighting with Kharadron Overlords or a Maw Krusha, dodging FlaK....

Sounds pretty cool.

Yeah, I'm really excited for this. I have a box of terradons I've had no good reason to paint up, but will be doing so now as my other half has a ton of various tzeentch discs. LEt the battle of the skies commence!

Not only that but I've been painting my Chaos Kharadrons on and off for a year now. Maybe it's time to sit myself down and force myself to just get 'em finished. Only if to finally see the day that we get Skaven and grot ariships and have a mega air battle. If the rumours are true (and with the new aerial battle rules I don't doubt them anymore!) and we get skaven and grots over the the next 12 months, I'd love to see a huge game put on with just airships and the tops of mountains (so we can have some AA weapons!)

Archived