Ironjawz AOS2 2018 Help Me Be Positive

Rock Lobster

22 hours ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

The Baleful Realmgate was already only a single model though. The Bloodtoofs was only ever one as well which you have to to set up in your opponent’s territory.  What you suggest requires your opponent agreeing to add more Realmgates, which would be nice but hardly a reliable strategy. 

That's not quite true @Ollie Grimwood, the current warscroll states that if you only have one Realmgate on the table you can come on a board edge instead.  And because it did not specify a minimum distance, you could go straight into melee if you wanted (or set up just outside of melee and hope for a longer charge, since you couldn't fail at +2").  

Also it was "within" enemy territory, not "wholly within".  So on the diagonal it could be a toenail into enemy territory, and a smidge over 5" into yours.  With the batallion move you actually had a pretty strong chance of getting 5 Brutes into the backfield Turn 1.

I wrote up a post on here about it when GH17 first dropped - @Sangfroid helped me tidy up a few details I'd got wrong, but it was actually my first ever post on TGA ?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, PlasticCraic said:

That's not quite true @Ollie Grimwood, the current warscroll states that if you only have one Realmgate on the table you can come on a board edge instead.  And because it did not specify a minimum distance, you could go straight into melee if you wanted (or set up just outside of melee and hope for a longer charge, since you couldn't fail at +2").  

Also it was "within" enemy territory, not "wholly within".  So on the diagonal it could be a toenail into enemy territory, and a smidge over 5" into yours.  With the batallion move you actually had a pretty strong chance of getting 5 Brutes into the backfield Turn 1.

I wrote up a post on here about it when GH17 first dropped - @Sangfroid helped me tidy up a few details I'd got wrong, but it was actually my first ever post on TGA ?

Haha you Gamey dog ?. That’d solve how to get to the Realmgate in the first place which was the bit I couldn’t see.   I stand corrected @Imperial  

7 hours ago, Rock Lobster said:

If you can get those cogs going with the bloodtoofs there really is a good chance of a turn 1 smash and grab on the enemy. Especially with the gore gruntas. You go 18” assuming you roll 1s for both charge dice and iron fist dice. If you roll 3s on all those dice you are covering 24” . If you get the destruction move you hit pretty much anything in 1 turn.

And compared to a Gorefist battalion, you will have that buff every turn and not only the first one !

9 hours ago, broche said:

I would say it's a good question to ask to GW to clarify

I'm almost sure you can't... it would be awesome ! That command ability can do marvels !

11 hours ago, broche said:

I think RAW it would be legal, but bataillion state a name for those MK wich is kind of counterintuitive. I would say it's a good question to ask to GW to clarify :)

You can only have gordrakk as the mega boss if the keyword in the formation is in Bold writing otherwise has to be the normal mawkrusha  

edit: to see this in practice check out the warrior brotherhood scroll as it say 2 units of Paladins (the paladin part is in bold) 

4 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

As long as the realm gate warsscroll remains unchanged I can really see myself going for bloodtoofs or ironsunz (obviously renamed Da Ghostwulfz) in the new world 

3 artefacts, 2 command points (3 from T1) , if the rumour is true that Golden toof is auto immune to BS then we can use the CP for guaranteed 6” runs (if they change fungoid so he doesn’t have to be the general.....) so even brutes are moving a minimum of 11” with a 6” run. 

Though id probably just save all the CP for megawaaaghs ????

The  best thing about Ironjawz is that, even though we haven't yet been given quite the boost we all would like either from the GHB or a new release, there is still an army of us painting, converting, and playing them! Which I think is the biggest strength of the army. 

Hats off to all you Megabosses, this discussion has helped me figure out my list for our big local tournament next month! The thought of a one drop, 3 artifact list where everything smashes face at once is just too exciting to overlook. 

1 hour ago, Goodapollo4 said:

The  best thing about Ironjawz is that, even though we haven't yet been given quite the boost we all would like either from the GHB or a new release, there is still an army of us painting, converting, and playing them! Which I think is the biggest strength of the army. 

Hats off to all you Megabosses, this discussion has helped me figure out my list for our big local tournament next month! The thought of a one drop, 3 artifact list where everything smashes face at once is just too exciting to overlook. 

I'm really pleased with the way this thread has gone when I read comments like this. It's amazing to see that from start to finish in the thread the response has changed from jaded to overwhelmingly positive as each person has chipped in new ideas with no actual new information added about our army, just the stuff that has been there since it was first posted. This is community power, and having seen a few of the different faction and sub faction communities I can honestly say that destruction in general and Ironjawz specifically are one of the best for sheer enthusiasm and helpful ideas considering the lack of actual real advancements officially for our factions over the last couple of years. Hats off to all of you, you have turned me around.

Also another list idea that based on a cdifferent strategy than the others, overwhelm and hold objectives:

Megaboss (D3 inspiring presence trait)

Wierdnob (balewind)

Wierdnob (Cogs)

Warchanter

20 Ardboyz

20 Ardboyz

20 Ardboyz

20 Ardboyz

Weirdfist

This doesn't have the hitting power of the other lists, but is defensively really solid. It doesn't rely on multiple additional attacks, usually just 1-2, instead allowing up to D3 inspiring presence per CP for the additional CP in a critical situation.

In defence mode the list has 160 wounds of infantry with a 4+ save able to hold 4 objective with inspiring presence, while the 2 wizards get 2 spells each (at +2 to cast) and can cause long range pain. In attack mode magic switches to offensive buffs for units and Cogs for massive speed.

With the Cogs and the +2 to charge banner for the ardboyz you can quickly switch between defence and attack.

What do you think of it?

Oh god I couldn’t imagine sitting through building and painting all those ArdBoyz! 

30 was enough for me 

But I find that to be a fun list! 

And certainly think the Cogs spells is a must with aggressive IJ lists (is there any other kind? Lol) 

i love my Brutes so mine will be brutes on brutes on brutes with cogs

1 minute ago, Lanoss said:

Oh god I couldn’t imagine sitting through building and painting all those ArdBoyz! 

30 was enough for me 

But I find that to be a fun list! 

And certainly think the Cogs spells is a must with aggressive IJ lists (is there any other kind? Lol) 

i love my Brutes so mine will be brutes on brutes on brutes with cogs

Haha, that is why I called it a 'list idea'. I have no intention of doing it. I have 25 Brutes and only 10 Ardboys. I have psyched myself up to do another 10 next, and if all goes well I may psyche myself up to do a further 20, but the idea of doing another 70 would break me.

That being said, I think its a list that could cause some real trouble for people. In many cases it will give some comparable bodies to horde armies but of a much higher calibre.

I painted up 10 initially for the classic IJ list of megaboss, warchanta, 4 units, ironfist. I had half hearted painted them, and when adepticon came around for the first one since GHB, I had a 20 brute list for team tourny. I've since gained 10 more ard boyz... and have no want to paint them. I have a hard time painting gore gruntas. 

Slightly off topic but I'd like some opinions on a counts as conversion pertaining to Ardboyz. 

I was thinking of using Brutes, minus the torso and shoulder armor.

I would utilize the shoulder armor as shields and of course put them on 32s.

I think it could work. Thoughts?

9 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

Slightly off topic but I'd like some opinions on a counts as conversion pertaining to Ardboyz. 

80A70BEC-89FA-48FB-B551-26A722EF47D7.jpeg.f0518f2e7f3561d5807658e532730e1a.jpeg

Bloodbowl Orcs, with Boarboy Shields and a mix of Brute, Bonespilter and Boarboy weapons 

7 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

Worth a try, it may make the brutes seem lee brutish though.

One crazy idea (and maybe ******). What about a small unit converted from Stormboyz? Get rid of the jetpack and replace the gun with another sword or axe and you have a bunch of charging and dynamically leaping ardboyz?

1 minute ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

80A70BEC-89FA-48FB-B551-26A722EF47D7.jpeg.f0518f2e7f3561d5807658e532730e1a.jpeg

Bloodbowl Orcs, with Boarboy Shields and a mix of Brute, Bonespilter and Boarboy weapons 

OH YES!. Do you mind if I steal this idea? I have an orc bloodbowl team I am not going to use since I have instead spent time on my goblin team. They look great and different.

1 minute ago, Rock Lobster said:

OH YES!. Do you mind if I steal this idea? I have an orc bloodbowl team I am not going to use since I have instead spent time on my goblin team. They look great and different.

Not in the slightest I stole it off Steve Herner anyway as he did a similar thing adding Ardboy Hands and weapons. 

1 minute ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

I did these as well and used them as Ardboys at a narrative event but they are probably not heavily armoured enough 

Yeah I have a couple of units of the bonesplitters in my exact same color scheme I could use, it just doesn't feel right for the armour. Yours look fantastic though.

4 minutes ago, CaptainNippon said:

I hope you don't mind the OT. but I was hoping to find someone who might be willing to send me a Gordrakk head for my Megaboss conversion. 

I'd cover shipping and put a few bucks on top for your help, of course :)

Which city are you in? I don't have a spare as I already gave mine away but it will help alert people who are close by.

On 6/16/2018 at 9:17 PM, Thomas Lyons said:

Yep.

Both are alpha strike lists where you are into their army at the top (or bottom of 1) using Gordrakk. The first is a variant on the Ironsunz and the other is actually a Aardfist with endless waves of 2h aardboyz.

Really on the ardfist though? It's so easy to kill one warchanter. The only value I can see in that battalion is taking 4x10 ardboys and keeping the chanter hidden at the back to secure your home objectives and stay alive. Even then my regular opponent who's stormcast has the mobility to snipe the warchanter easily unless I'm very careful and bubble the back field with ardboys so he can't drop, and at that point they're so imports it's a waste of half your list?

Fellow Megabosses, it's me or Ironfist will be more valuable than ever?

180 pts, command point, less drops, artefact and movement buff to engage faster and deny them shooting our boyz and undispellable (Cogs).

At this point I think that's an autoinclude.

1 hour ago, Garxia said:

Fellow Megabosses, it's me or Ironfist will be more valuable than ever?

180 pts, command point, less drops, artefact and movement buff to engage faster and deny them shooting our boyz and undispellable (Cogs).

At this point I think that's an autoinclude.

You might be right. The more I have thought about it, I have convinced myself that I need the extra command point to make the list really effective with a double waaagh. So from that point of view if you had to buy that command point it would be 50points. Hence you are really paying 130 points for increasing your chances of going first and adding an unconditional D6 extra movement to each of your troops which is not bad.

I suppose the only difference with this edition is because of the likes of the Cogs spell, it is not actually mandatory to take the ironfist to get some movement benefits. Instead of paying the 180 points for the battalion you could opt for a gobbo shaman with the cogs for 120-130 and purchase a command point for circa the same cost. In my opinion the ironfist is better, especially since the MV is guaranteed (but random) however the other option does give you a dispel and means your guys are MV 6 and +3 charge base.

Of course you can do both for circa 300 points and have your gobbo shaman with cogs and the ironfist for +D6 ironfist, MV 6, +3 to charge which is tasty.

Lots of options.

Archived