3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)

Battalions
Weirdfist (200)

Scenery
Balewind Vortex (100)

Total: 2160 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 124

I think it will be cool to try. Its a little risky though as a lot of points are tied up in the hope that the shaman wont just be shot off first turn, or with your 1 spell (2 including balewind) that the opponent doesn't have better spellcasters that can easily shut it down.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been playing wood elves, FEC and death since drop of aos 1. Underpowered at every step of the way over a 3 year period until very recently.  Feel you guys are justified in feeling a lack of love,  but it might hearten you to consider how much harder it could have been. I’ve been playing against iron jawz a lot and I’ve found them to be no slouch. Are they bent out of all shape and able to compete against the most filthy lists, perhaps not. But really, ask yourself, is this all that matters to you? I think it’s pretty obvious for all to see that destruction are due a period of focussed attention. Hang tight. 

So I think a reduced points balewind is far more important for us than we are giving credit. It's 40 points to give a weirdnob a second spell, +1 to save and 6" on their cast range. At 160 points that is actually quite a potent caster. As @Ollie Grimwood said the extra unbind range and his amazing bonuses to cast mean that at 320 points we can now rock a strong magic game AND have good anti-magic ability, something we have traditionally struggled against since magic is a big source of mortal wounds.

The ability to save command points AND only have to IP reactively are also big buffs for us. Since it means we can have those huge turns, with the tactic @Sangfroid has been using recently (Crouching Grot, Hidden Playtester???) the 5 man Brute units are HORRIFIC.  All of which is only made even better for us since smashing and bashing is now "Immediately activate another Ironjawz unit" rather than the closest, this means on those big turns we can chain combats in the perfect order rather than having a random warchanter stop us from doing so.

With regards to the Ironfist, it's still going to be mandatory just the 20 points has moved from the MK onto this basically nullifying both changes for the standard IJ list. For most of us the only change will be that we get a 2nd command point for free compared to some other armies. The reduction on the Bloodtoofs means that both mega battalions are now 120 so assuming Ironsunz hasn't changed we get the extra moral/charge for the cheaper price.  

Spoiler

Allegiance: Ironjawz

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (460) (-20)
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
Orruk Warchanter (80)

Battleline
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)

Battalions
Ironfist (160)
Bloodtoofs (140) (-20)

Scenery
Balewind Vortex (100) (-60)

Total: 1960 / 2000
New Total: 1860 / 2000

So we could add in a second Megaboss to try and use those Command points we start with.

The command points change also makes the Footboss more of an attractive option as our only way to properly make use of the extra CP's. Hopefully we can also spend CP's to use allied command abilities because that would let us use the Great Waaagh! Boarboss from Greenskinz instead for the same 140 points. Similarly the Fungoid Cave Shaman is a fantastic in our armies now even with the Mystic Shield nerf.

At -2 to hit (look out sir) and a 5++ save having one rammed right up into enemy lines on a balewind is seriously scary. Suddenly his Spore Maw is d6+6" range which is far healthier, the same is true of green-puke. Not to mention after eating his Deathcap you get 3 casts off him in one turn! This lets us actually put down a very scary wizard list (without the stupid weirdfist). Depends on what realm spells we have access to suddenly IJ could have some of the best spellcasting in the game!

Spoiler

Allegiance: Ironjawz

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (140)
Orruk Megaboss (140)
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
Fungoid Cave Shaman (80)
Fungoid Cave Shaman (80)
Orruk Warchanter (80)

Battleline
30 x Orruk Ardboys (450)
30 x Orruk Ardboys (450)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)

Battalions
Ardfist (180)

Scenery
Balewind Vortex (40)
Balewind Vortex (40)
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000

Giving us 6 spells a turn and another potential 2 not to mention the most disgusting tarpit known to the mortal realms. 

Another important thing to note is the Cogs spell they go on about. A +2 to charge range means that our army is now has +3 to it's charge range while Ardboys are sat at a phenomenal +5. The endless spells give us options for reach and utility we were sorely lacking before.

Big G is now more viable than ever since not only is he now 540 points (?) but he doesn't eat our Commander Trait or stop us from using Waaagh! later in the game. 

Spoiler

Leaders
Gordrakk The Fist of Gork (540)
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (440)
 -

Battleline

Battalions
Bloodtoofs (140)
Ironfist (160)

Total: 1980/ 2000

Because lets be honest, we are all going to try it at least once!

The final thing to remember is that while we got "meh" buffs some of the other factions (Tzeentch/Fyreslayers/KO) took such a massive strapon nerfing that it actually opens up the field again. So while we didn't get super buffed, there's a solid chance that we gained position by others getting nerfed. 

Going to have to wait and see, I'm not optimistic but we might be overreacting a little bit.

Um, Ironjaws looks great compared to some of the other adjustments out there.  On first pass, they have a number of very strong builds.  I'd encourage people to dig through the battalions and give everything another look.  They have some potent tools in their arsenal now and a number of those combos have been discussed here.  They are in a strong position moving into 2.0.

1 hour ago, Thomas Lyons said:

Um, Ironjaws looks great compared to some of the other adjustments out there.  On first pass, they have a number of very strong builds.  I'd encourage people to dig through the battalions and give everything another look.  They have some potent tools in their arsenal now and a number of those combos have been discussed here.  They are in a strong position moving into 2.0.

That one scene from Willow comes to mind...

Can you list some examples?

1 hour ago, Thomas Lyons said:

Thanks Malakree, that is exactly the sort of thing I am looking for, some food for thought.

I am sure matched play will only allow 1 of each of the endless spells - since balewind is otherwise pretty much an auto include for any Wizard otherwise as an add-on. I could certainly see though a unit of 20-30 ardboyz, 2 wierdnobs, 1 with cogs, 1 with balewind  and a mushroom shaman with the mirrors being a cool and interesting lineup for some solid magic attack and defense.

If they did allow multiple balewinds and you wanted to go crazy on magic you can stick the rogue idol in there and have 3 wierdnobs with balewinds, (1 being part of a wierdfist) with some ardboyz to blast powered up foot of Gork and puke.

I like the Orruk warboss with banner at 140 pts. It is possible now to have an army with more bodies with no maw krusha. Bear in mind that 2 units of 10 brutes and a Maw Krusha is 1,160. For the same points cost you can get the 2 units of 10 brutes, but with a Megaboss, a banner warboss and 2 warchanters. You lose the Mawkrusha but you turn the 2 units of Brutes into killing machines with +2-3 attacks, +1 to hit, reroll 1's to hit and 1's to wound. Plus the megaboss is no slouch in combat.

To quote from the Facebook page.

Q: So we can't purchase 3 purple suns and have all of them running around at the same time ?

A: Well, you can - you'd need to get three Malign Sorcery sets to do so though!

So yes you just have to pay the points for every instance of an endless spell!

I think at least 1 battalion will be staple for us to try and get the extra command point. I also suspect that brutes should now be run in 5s rather than 10.

One change I did read somewhere is that allies are now 1 in 4 units rather than a strict points limit. Which is going to be interesting.

Our biggest problem is going to be fitting a wizard and 2 waaagh! In the army if I'm honest. Really sad that the ardboys 30 block wasn't even dropped by 10 points to an even number...

I am not sure in that fb post if they are talking core rules, matches play or special organized events. I could see stacking things like balewinds and the cogs being brutal. Think about three wizards, each casting both of those would give you 2-3 casts by turn 2 and the opponent would have to dedicate 6 of their own spells to get rid of them if they were in play.

So far nobody is talking about the buffs to their armies. Maybe I lurk in all the threads for naff armies but I'm ok with the changes in general. 

It will take some reworking of my list but I'm excited by playing. 

Looking forward to mixing in a few spells and generally just waaghing my way through 2nd

If Warhammer weekly says there is good lists then I trust them 

20 minutes ago, Lardidar said:

So far nobody is talking about the buffs to their armies. Maybe I lurk in all the threads for naff armies but I'm ok with the changes in general. 

It will take some reworking of my list but I'm excited by playing. 

Looking forward to mixing in a few spells and generally just waaghing my way through 2nd

If Warhammer weekly says there is good lists then I trust them 

My mixed order list got hugely buffed, but us mixed order players are a secretive bunch...

I think batallions give an extra CP yes.

Btw, I'm a friend of Ironjawz and BCR player and I llike searching for info to help him. He doesn't has too much time to search for tactics and things and I love his army and would love him to be motivated but every time we play he keeps the same, doing almost nothing. We usually play 2vs2 and other armhys are Khorne or nurgle, sylvaneth and I usually play stormcast or now I will go Idoneth deepkin, so it's hard to a slow movement army like IJ.

I told to take the hero phase movement batallion, and I hope this changes will help him a bit. He owns 20 ardboys, 3 gruntas, chanter, shaman, megaboss and Start Collecting BCR, the green orc on wyvern, a goblin shaman with a grot and a unit of fellwater trolls. The logical should be going another starter of Ironjawz to take more gruntas (I love them) and ardboys + chanter and then go for brutes I think.

Hope to find a good army to play, I love that brutal look of IJ and BCR, I think there's no other army more brutal so gameplay should be the same

Another thing that IMO might be interesting for IJ players is the Palisade spell.

One reason why my Seraphon so often beat the IJs is shooting.
I usually kill quite a lot of them before they can even hit me once. One of the  phases of the game basically only happens for me. I bring over 100 shooting attacks and the IJs bring... one. If they have a Maw Krusha.

So if the IJ player managed to cast a Palisade in front of me, that would take some damage potential out of my shooting. Might work.

I see expect a smooth transition into AoS 2.0, especially when it comes to our magic game.

- Weirdnobs have strong spells and with a 40 points Balewind Vortex they can use them much more efficiently.  Weirdfist has also become cheaper as well as our Ardboyz, so 2 x 20 Ardboys will cost 80 points less than before and reliably provide the Weirdnob with his full +2 buff.

- Prismatic palisade is a nice way to deny the enemy the opportunity to harm our key units.

- Look out Sir will help keeping our characters alive

- Gruntas are still 140 points and as good as ever

- Orruk Banner Warboss + Megaboss on foot are great uses for Command points, as well as the new generic ones.

- The realm specific artefacts can bolster our key Characters even further:

• Ghur's Gryph Feather Charm is a nice on the Weirdnob, making him harder to kill.
  •  Aqshy's ThermalriderCloak on a foot Megaboss is a dream come true (8" Movement and fly)

All in all things don't look to bad I'd say.

I've found solitude in fact that both armies I've been interested in, namely Kharadron Overlords and Fyreslayers took a dive into our level field of play.

So I might as well have some fun with my greenskins (technically, redskins) since neither of those armies will be a competitive powerhouse. And I'm unable to bring myself to paint/play with an army that I don't dig.

EDIT: This, and the fact that my local club sells beer now.

Archived