Visually interesting stormhosts?

Cèsar de Quart

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice!

Though I'm actually more partial to the pure plate armored look of the standard Stormcasts. Which had some nice Templar looks too.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8lZLGKUYDsGm_-N1DEL3

Though Grailcasts never cease to look amazing.

1494024936269.jpg

That's one of my goals with a Stormcast army and all my Bret parts besides my current Hallowed Knights army.

I'm also in a slow process of converting prosecutors into Zelda Darknuts as I love modeling videogame characters from the figures. (I already have two Links, a Zelda and a Stormcast shovel knight)

Basically these:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqHFLwWEAD2RF6F13-lNY

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZE5--RmJGpydd1r_KdkX

I find the prosecutors have great crests and helms for the look when worked on a bit.

After that there's some great Stormcast Dark Souls conversions out there I want to try...

2 hours ago, Baron Klatz said:

Hehe, get the ShadeSpire skeletons and start hacking. :D

But yeah, the blog and that model is spectacular! 

Wish I could! I live in Brazil and the boxes are so difficult (not to say expensive) to get! But that's an idea ? why not?!

2 hours ago, christophe said:

I posted it on the main SC thread, but maybe interesting for you : I fund this on my store FB, sequitors custom into liberators with a strong middle age/ templar/Old World feel 

Yes, I've seen your post! These are so cool. I keep telling myself to keep doing Astral Templars, but the Sacrosanct has a different feel to them. The thought of making them look "barbarian" makes me tired because they are already an evolution of the basic original SCE design. But, I'll only decide when I have the models in front of me.

Well I'd say play on the clerical side.

If they're allied with Sylvaneth and show equal devotion to Alarielle as a queen of order then you could give them vines running down their tabards and a halo made of branches.

If their emissaries to the realm of Death and want to show Nagash due respect then having a wooden rack with black candles on their backs along with hourglass and skull imagery would suffice and can switch it for braziers and chains with keys if they're either on a holy mission to the Fyreslayers or allied and are giving due worship to Grimnir while perhaps keeping a monastery in their Lodge or vice-versa with them being church estate owners giving lodgings to the warriors in Hammerhal or the like.

25 minutes ago, christophe said:

With their robes, I feel the new chamber will difficult to bring outside it's clerical influence.

Indeed it is, but I think that's the challenge.

Looking for a way to still work as Astral Templars, I remembered a movie that I love, The Mahabharata. The character's war costumes may give me the basics I need to steer from the medieval/clerical look. I've attached some pictures.

Link for the movie (watch out... it's a 5 hour movie...)

Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 02.52.43.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 02.56.29.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 02.57.49.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 02.58.33.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 03.00.18.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 03.02.59.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 03.06.16.png

Would having the prosecutor wings and the glows on the different stormcast be differing colours to the standard azyrite energy be an interesting way to diversify them? I’ve been pondering for a while of having a stormhost that was forged during shyish’s ascendancy in the astrology of the realms, as such the amethyst magic permeated their essence causing their lighting and energies to be coloured amethyst. 

1 minute ago, Necroshadow said:

Would having the prosecutor wings and the glows on the different stormcast be differing colours to the standard azyrite energy be an interesting way to diversify them? I’ve been pondering for a while of having a stormhost that was forged during shyish’s ascendancy in the astrology of the realms, as such the amethyst magic permeated their essence causing their lighting and energies to be coloured amethyst. 

Sounds good and I think you just described how Sons of Mallus and Anvils of the Heldenhammer were created during ascendancy of Dark Moon and Mallus respectively.

13 minutes ago, michu said:

Sounds good and I think you just described how Sons of Mallus and Anvils of the Heldenhammer were created during ascendancy of Dark Moon and Mallus respectively.

True. Would just be a case of making them uniquely distinct from those two. 

1 hour ago, Necroshadow said:

this kind of colors ?

https://it.pinterest.com/pin/306596687111577003/

Pinterest is a huge source of inspiration, if you are not afraid to see someone already had your idea and is 10x better at painting...

https://it.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=stormcast&rs=typed&term_meta[]=stormcast|typed

Do you know if there's any store that sells 28mm candles? They're not hard to do in greenstuff, but they're difficult to get juuuuust right. I want to make a small squad of the Ulgu-based candle-and-lamp wearing Stormcasts but the pieces (especially the lamps) are hard to come by.

Thanks!

Also, the clerical, Templar-like Sacrosanct sequitors are very, very cool. GW is going for the wrong direction with the way they model their Stormcasts, but especially with their paintjobs. They give off too much of a Marine feel. I wish they had gone in a more Medieval route. The paintjob does wonders, though.

Eh, to each their own but I find they're going in the perfect direction with the Stormcast.

First case is the Marine feel, marines were created from the popularity of fantasy chaos knights but were combined with warrior priests to become dogmatic templars. Stormcasts are a literal combination of those things as Sigmar creates his own Chaos Knights yet fittingly makes them a evolution of his own Warrior Priests. So it serves as a justified shout-out to those origins.

Secondly, they fit perfectly in the epic fantasy setting as they're plain enough to not be out of place strolling around a gothic-like town but also fit in as heroic fantasy paladins besieging floating portal landscapes as flying citadels fire off volleys of cannons and lightning dragons battle with daemons overhead.

similar to the scene in today's art focus.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/06/21/21st-june-the-art-of-sigmargw-homepage-post-3/

Lastly, they're great for modeling in either direction if you want medieval knights with a Dark Souls feel on the side or instead angelic paladins with a celestial energy wings and about to let loose the fury of their god.

They just fit more tastes being high fantasy paladins, I find. :)

19 hours ago, Baron Klatz said:

Eh, to each their own but I find they're going in the perfect direction with the Stormcast.

First case is the Marine feel, marines were created from the popularity of fantasy chaos knights but were combined with warrior priests to become dogmatic templars. Stormcasts are a literal combination of those things as Sigmar creates his own Chaos Knights yet fittingly makes them a evolution of his own Warrior Priests. So it serves as a justified shout-out to those origins.

Secondly, they fit perfectly in the epic fantasy setting as they're plain enough to not be out of place strolling around a gothic-like town but also fit in as heroic fantasy paladins besieging floating portal landscapes as flying citadels fire off volleys of cannons and lightning dragons battle with daemons overhead.

similar to the scene in today's art focus.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/06/21/21st-june-the-art-of-sigmargw-homepage-post-3/

Lastly, they're great for modeling in either direction if you want medieval knights with a Dark Souls feel on the side or instead angelic paladins with a celestial energy wings and about to let loose the fury of their god.

They just fit more tastes being high fantasy paladins, I find. :)

You're not wrong, and you can give me all the justifications or explanations you want, but still... something feels off with them. I like the concept, the idea, the whole background. And the minis are splendidly sculpted.

But... I don't know if it's the awful shoulder pads, the exceedingly massive size, their blocky silouhette... maybe it's the bizarre weapons they carry. Too much of the Stormcasts is, I guess, too... different? Too WoWish? I was an Empire player, mind you, so I guess you can understand my conflict. When I saw John Blanche's concept art I though "yes, that's what I want", but they came out "fatter". That was clearly a Marine-based choice, though.

I saw this guys on a random facebook post, for instance, and God I love the shoulderpads on them.

f75bf2d8455d39eb8635f69f5097cc42.jpg

The art they have published is gorgeous for sure.

Here you go...

"The new Battletome: Stormcast Eternals is full of vignettes that take a closer look at the Stormcast Eternals. In the years since their first strikes upon the Mortal Realms, the Stormcast Eternals have become more and more distinct, changed by reforging and clinging to half-remembered tribal affiliations and traditions in an attempt to hold on to their increasingly fragmented memories."

AoSBattletomeArt-June29-SCVignette1ts.jpg

AoSBattletomeArt-June29-SCVignette2nr.jpg

AoSBattletomeArt-June29-SCVignette3ov.jpg

AoSBattletomeArt-June29-SCVignette4jy.jpg

I am no Stormcast player, but I still have an Lord-Ordinator to paint. Does anyone know how I can recreate the effect of the last Stormcast?

AoSBattletomeArt-June29-SCVignette4jy.jp

There was also a picture somewhere of a Stormcast with glowing hair. Would be cool to recreate Stormcasts in this way. But I wouldn't know which paints I should use. 

Maybe start with corax white and after that paint casandora yellow wash oder it? But I don't really know.

This pic you mean?

AoSArt-June21-BigBattle20e.jpg

I'd love to know a good paint mix too if anyone has tips. :)

4 hours ago, Sigmarine said:

Ha ha, the realms and reforging are starting to really mess up the lovely Stormcast! 

Indeed. Centuries of warfare and reforging that tears your body apart to be put back together would wear on any. Worst cases exist still of Stormcasts losing their humanity and becoming akin to golems of celestial energy as their lightning infused blood is itself consumed by the storm.

It's nice to see a better representation of it in the art. It'll be very interesting to see such a variety of Azyr knights throughout the realms ranging from fresh noble paladins full of virtue to grizzled veteran crusaders holding onto scraps of their humanity to defend Sigmar's people and aid their allies despite it.

4 hours ago, Infeston said:

I am no Stormcast player, but I still have an Lord-Ordinator to paint. Does anyone know how I can recreate the effect of the last Stormcast?

AoSBattletomeArt-June29-SCVignette4jy.jp

There was also a picture somewhere of a Stormcast with glowing hair. Would be cool to recreate Stormcasts in this way. But I wouldn't know which paints I should use. 

Maybe start with corax white and after that paint casandora yellow wash oder it? But I don't really know.

The risk with yellow is to look like a fake blond... Maybe silver ? Or silver mix with white ? With light greige or even bluish shade on the roots for a fantasy effect (lots of medium) ?

Archived