Gaming on the cheap using official models

Chikout

I was looking at the new start collecting boxes and thought this was worth sharing.

The Starter set bloodbound or stormcast plus a start collecting box gives you a legal 1000 point army. 2 of every other start collecting box gives you a legal 1000 point army except ironjawz (840 points). This is before adding battalion points. Fyreslayers are by far the most expensive faction pointswise. 1000 points cost  £178 minimum.

In terms of points per £ flesh eaters or Seraphon are the best value with £100 giving you about 1300 points each. If you can split the starter set with someone the stormcast will probably work out even better. 

Of course many online retailers offer a 20% discount which makes these prices better.

Having laid out some basic info maybe here would be a good place to share info about cheap ways to get hold of some models.

Yeah these new Start Collecting boxes are great. I find myself considering the Ironjawz one, and I already have 50 Ardboyz! I have a ton of Brute and Gore-gruntaz bits left over, so I can convert that Warchanter to whatever...even different Warchanters. I definitely feel the need for more than 3 Gore-gruntaz, I'd love enough to make the Battalion.

I need to look into Flesh Eaters court too...

My friend was interested in AoS due to its more laid back approach.

£40 Slaves to Darkness box and he had a small force. He borrowed some Nurgle and liked how that played. So he's going to get the box for them too.

Two Start Collecting boxes that can "ally" is a great deal. Whether that combo is always batteline legal I don't know; though I would expect it would be (i.e. a battleline unit is in every box).

Having recently scoured eBay, there doesn't seem to be any more great deals. That initial sell-up is done. The best value is still the Start Collecting boxes with FLGS discount.

If you look at old box sets there are plenty of cheap ways to start. I'm getting back into wargaming after 20 years off and picked up the Island Of Blood box for £50. Loads of Skaven and High Elves... I know they're not new stuff but it's super cheap for the number of models.

Archived