So how will Nighthaunts play?

KHHaunts

Just moved this to the right part of the forum ;) 

Too be honest, hard to say as we don't have all the facts yet. We don't know how much anything will cost points wise, how many points an average game would be, or even the extra stuff around command points or predatory spells (we know snippets but not enough). Personally I suspect they will be a bit tanky (4+/5+ save ignoring rend backed up by Mystic Shield seems good). But again tough to say exactly as we are still waiting on model reveals ;) 

I'm somewhat disturbed that I haven't seen a single frightful touch entry yet in the new models, which I was hoping to be a mainstay in the army chemistry...

I liked the army-wide ethereal save/ mortal wound combo that made gave them a very thematic feel, and quite scary for elite, low model-count opponents.

If the starter set is anything to go by, looks like it's turning into a horde army. If the chain rasps are the only battle line troops, looks like there'll be lots of models on the table?

Assuming, of course, that the heroes don't cost half your army worth of points, like the rest of death

As someone mentioned there seems to be a lack of heroes with command traits in NH specifically (I know we haven't seen the named characters yet), it does seem a little odd, what with every other faction focus hinging on multiple different command point combos.

We'll need to wait and see.

I'm personally hoping that the NH will still be viable without using chain-rasps, because they're not my favourite of the NH line (not swirly enough).

Because I know the models that I want to build and paint are going to be mainly elites (banshees) and cavalry, I'm hoping that will be viable with some spirit hosts as battleline.

I'm not particularly excited about the previewed warscrolls (especially since I noticed the Guardian of Souls is +1 to wound not hit, even though he is still decent assuming he's 100 points). Chainrasp Hordes didn't exactly set my world on fire and the Lord Executioner is super bland. I hope the rest of the warscrolls are more exciting and give the Nighthaunt some identity beyond unrendable saves and crappy statlines.

We haven't even gotten around to seeing what the battle traits are. 

Fightfull touch doesn't have to go on each model. I think decapitating strike + GoS ability syncs up nicely.  I was a tad underwhelmed about the hangman's offensive output with only 3 attacks... But if he's a steal like the cairn wraith at 60p, he'll do ok. 

And we know next to nothing about our 3 main characters: the craven king, the mortarch of Grief and deathpegasus guy. 

In short, I don't think nighthaunt will be doing poorly in the "combo" department when their book is released. Ethereal can really throw a spanner in the works now as well, seeing as high armor saves will be less common in AoS with the MS changes. 

3 hours ago, Vasshpit said:

KoS command: +1 to hit

GoS  ability: +1 to wound

ST revive ability d3:

Yes it's a lot but I think this combo turns Chainrasps into a real threat IMO.

Time will tell....

I totally agree here. 

Take two KoS and that’s  +2 to hit with each of their bubbles overlapping. With the +1 to wound from GoS and reroll 1’s to wound from the wizard, this makes our units...:

SH - hit on 3’s, MW’s on a 4+, wound on 3+ rerolling 1’s.

chainwraps - hitting on 2’s, wounding on 3’s rerolling 1’s.

lord execution - I forget his stat line but he can get very killy with said buffs applied.

i also believe spirit host will remain battleline . I got one am pumped as hell for NH. Already got cash to splash on them so LETS DO THIIIIIIIIISSSSSS!!!!!

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:53 AM, KHHaunts said:

I have collected a GA death army themed around nighthauny for some time.

Obviously the mainstays of a nighthaunt force were fixed saves and a shedload of mortal wounds.

How do we think the new revamped will play?

I imagine similar to the way an Age of Sigmar army plays. Probably won't be ranked up on movement trays, and I highly doubt they'll use dials or movement templates. Proprietary dice are a possibility but I would say it's a safe bet you won't have to buy a bunch of Stormcast kits to get upgrade cards.

Hope that helps.

I'm just really excited to see a full field of ghosties driving across the field. And with the sweet new mortarch of grief, and the black coach? Oh man.. and I hope that they are Vlad and Isabella... So hard... It'll be interesting to see what buffs the army will get as a whole. Hopefully they'll function as thier own force, and not require allies. Though I suppose as it sits I use them as allies for my death right now anyway, I'd love to field naught but the 'haunt

3 hours ago, TubmasterGeneral said:

Not require allies.

The one thing I still really miss about GA:Death...

the ally system is a hot pile of tear drenched dung, would love to bring back a necro into my FEC or my ghoulking with terrorgheist into my legion of night army

On 6/9/2018 at 12:48 AM, Bellfree said:

I imagine similar to the way an Age of Sigmar army plays. Probably won't be ranked up on movement trays, and I highly doubt they'll use dials or movement templates. Proprietary dice are a possibility but I would say it's a safe bet you won't have to buy a bunch of Stormcast kits to get upgrade cards.

Hope that helps.

Im not sure if this was supposed to be light hearted or very condescending so i thought id check?

Archived