Grot army ideas

Hello there, I recently got back into aos after a long break like seemingly every other old guy and I’ve played a few games. I really like moonclan grots, ogres and orcs back in fantasy and I like them in aos as well. I have a lot of models for what I’ve been told is destruction, but I don’t know which ones are good and how to build synergies and combos because from what I’ve heard and seen, that is how to be competitive. Please can you help?

my models are:

60 moonclan grots with spears and 20 with bows and some netters.

a Warboss on massive squig.

3 fanatics (these are my favourites.)

ten Grot spider riders.

two shamans.

two foot Warboss holding squigs.

4 Ogres, 4 leadbelchers, 4 ironguts, a maneater and a tyrant.

a river troll.

a giant.

thirty orcs with a mix of spears bows and hand weapons in squads of ten.

ten arboys.

five boar boys and a chariot.

i alps have a lot of seraphon but I’m focusing on destruction until I understand the game better.

my main needs are army lists and combos, and I play mostly 800 point games In a semi competitive environment. Additionally, is it worth getting Battletomes at all as I don’t think grots have one I may be wrong.

any help is appreciated sorry for wrong intro I just don’t want to waste time with vagueness

• 2 weeks later...

Best approach is to wait for the new rules and the release of GHB2018 as this will affect the decision a lot.

Initial thoughts - Moonclan Bows are awful.. their bonus doesn't help with the shooting (unlike Gitmob), and you'll want to swap out some for nets, further reducing the range attacks. It's a mixed Destruction list and you have a few options. At 800 points it may be worth considering the Ogors due to the multiple damage.

Unfortunately you are correct there are no Battletomes for the units you have... but we are hopeful for a Moonclan one (touch wood), and you could always branch out to Ironjawz, Bonesplitterz, or Beast Claw Raiders.

Welcome to the Destruction Board... and hope you enjoy the rollercoaster of a new edition we are about to have!

You can pretty much build a general destruction grand alliance list out of what you currently have.  You have generic battle line (required core) units, some heroes, and a variety of other stuff.  It won't be a seriously optimized list - but who cares?  It is enough to get you started and having fun playing games.  You can expand it and switch it up as you see fit from there.

I'd just borrow a copy of the current 2017 General's Handbook to get the point values for what you have so you can combine them into a real list.  Or wait 2 weeks until the new General's Handbook is released.  I would hold off on purchasing the General's Handbook until the new one releases at the end of the month.  Borrow one until then if you want to get some games in soon.

Thank you so much for the responses I’ll leave out the bow grots. I have since been given the spider fang grot venom clan box and that has another 10 spider riders and an arachnarok. Here are some potential ideas I have entertained. 

Also, are you allowed to go ten points over the agreed points list? Because I would rather have twenty grots than a shaman.

518DACE2-CD51-4EC7-9608-6750EF406DB5.png

3C8C8277-1A8A-4885-A360-6EF4E0C3BD47.png

The Shaman on Arachnarok appears to be good at the moment in small games. There's not much that can kill him in one turn and he can put pressure by trying to dispel your opponents spells so I'd go with that army first. If you don't like him just rotate him out and try something else... they're great fun (if not exactly competitive).

Thank you again I played against a terrorgheist list with the moonclan list (I haven’t finished painting or assembled the spiderfang yet) and I got wrecked by the terrorgheist, but that was due to a tactical error and I’m starting to understand what to do and when and the rest of the list functioned well. The mistake in question was releasing the fanatics st the wrong time. Also my magic didn’t work enough at all, I think only 2 spells worked all game long and they were mystic shield and arcane bolt. I’m going to try and get my spiderfang painted up as soon as possible.

Archived