Let's chat Stormcast Eternals

Requizen

1 minute ago, Nico said:

There's literally another FAQ answer on the Lantern - it's 6s only. See page 7. Good news as it is already extremely powerful.

Thanks ! didn't saw it at first. I'm sorry for annoying everybody with false statement

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a Tournament coming in a few weeks, first since GHB 2 and was wondering if Aetherstrike Force is still competitive.

This is the list I was going to be running

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
Lord-Castellant (100)
- General
- Trait: Staunch Defender 
- Mystic Light: Lantern of the Tempest
Knight-Venator (120)
Knight-Azyros (80)
- Artefact: Mirrorshield 
Lord-Relictor (80)
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
3 x Aetherwings (60)
3 x Aetherwings (60)
3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows (160)
9 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (540)
5 x Paladin Protectors (200)
- 2x Starsoul Maces
Aetherstrike Force (180)

Total: 2000/2000

Question is, are the Protectors still needed with a lot of the other shooty armies getting nerfs, or do I need more bodies. For example dropping the Protectors for 40 skinks or 2x10 Stinks and a Extra Relictor. Let me know your thoughts :)

I know I'm behind in all the list building because I just got my GBH2017 2 days ago, but I've been trying to come up with some fun lists last night.

My new favorite idea, which I'd like input on:

LCoSD 560
Knight Heraldor 120
Lord Castellant 100
Bloodwrack Shrine 140
Lord Relictor 80
Liberators 100
Judicators 160
Judicators 160
Fulminators x 4 480
Prosecutors 100

In general, it uses the Fulminators to kill tough-armored enemies and the Heraldor to get them to re-position as necessary (@Lez for the great strategy there) and all the other normal accouterments in the LCoSD lists above.  My new big addition is the Bloodwrack Shrine through the allies.

It's a 13 wound model with decent attacks (7 - 11)  for an only 140 point hero.  And it has horde-killer written all over it with the Bloodwrack stare as a ranged attack where the enemy can't modify the hit or wound roll.  A unit of 30 coming at me? The shooting attack should on average kill 10 models.  Using the stardrake to eat the banner?  Should cause massive battleshock on the first turn.  

Playing around with other thoughts including changing the prosecutors for a Loremaster, but I like their mobility for getting to objectives.

Thoughts?

Was thinking of an army that doesn't run Battalions, here's one that I think isn't bad:

Lord Aquilor - General, Staunch Defender
Lord Castellant - Lantern of the Tempest
Knight Heraldor
Lord Relictor - Lightning Chariot

Liberators
Vanguard Hunters
Vanguard Hunters

Protectors x10 - Maces x4
Vanguard Longstrikes x6

Skinks x30
Skinks x30

Ends up with good mobility between Hunters, Aquilor + Raptors, Lightning Chariot, and Heraldor letting the Paladins run + charge.  Aquilor can teleport the Raptors without leaving himself, so he can give Staunch Defender where needed. Protectors/Castellant/Heraldor make a strong midfield hammer, while Hunters and Longstrikes move around the sides of the board and Skinks flank to hound the opponents in. There's a strong shooting focus in the army, but a decent melee presence as well. 

Thoughts?

What do u folks think about this list?

Allegiance: Order

Leaders
Lord-Celestant On Dracoth (220)
- General
- Tempestos Hammer & Thundershield
- Trait: Staunch Defender
- Dracoth Trait: Keen-clawed
Lord-Relictor (80)
- Prayer: Bless Weapons
Lord-Castellant (100)
- Mystic Light: Lantern of the Tempest

Battleline
10 x Judicators (320)
- Skybolt Bows
- Stormcast Eternals Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers

Units
3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (180)
10 x Paladin Retributors (440)
- 4x Starsoul Maces
2 x Fulminators (240)
1 x Gryph-Hound (40)

Total: 2000/2000

Please comment and critique.

Cheers

Varred

7 hours ago, Requizen said:

Was thinking of an army that doesn't run Battalions, here's one that I think isn't bad:

Lord Aquilor - General, Staunch Defender
Lord Castellant - Lantern of the Tempest
Knight Heraldor
Lord Relictor - Lightning Chariot

Liberators
Vanguard Hunters
Vanguard Hunters

Protectors x10 - Maces x4
Vanguard Longstrikes x6

Skinks x30
Skinks x30

Ends up with good mobility between Hunters, Aquilor + Raptors, Lightning Chariot, and Heraldor letting the Paladins run + charge.  Aquilor can teleport the Raptors without leaving himself, so he can give Staunch Defender where needed. Protectors/Castellant/Heraldor make a strong midfield hammer, while Hunters and Longstrikes move around the sides of the board and Skinks flank to hound the opponents in. There's a strong shooting focus in the army, but a decent melee presence as well. 

Thoughts?

If you do a 40 and a 20 of skinks you can do 3 vanguard. Or if you do  1 Vanguard you can take 80. Basically you're gimping yourself taking 30. Also, I don't really get the love of paladins. They're not very good and without any BS protection you're basically cutting the wounds of the unit in half.

4 minutes ago, Varred said:

Leaders
- General
Lord-Relictor (80)
Lord-Castellant (100)

Battleline
10 x Judicators (320)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers

Units
- 4x Starsoul Maces
2 x Fulminators (240)
1 x Gryph-Hound (40)

Cheers

Varred

Without a delivery system the paladins will fail a 9" charge and then die. You can drop a unit of liberators and the gryph-hound for a Heraldor or Venator.

2 minutes ago, BURF1 said:

Without a delivery system the paladins will fail a 9" charge and then die. You can drop a unit of liberators and the gryph-hound for a Heraldor or Venator.

How about another Relictor with Lightning Chariot?

And why Venator?

5 hours ago, Varred said:

How about another Relictor with Lightning Chariot?

And why Venator?

Hero sniping mostly. Plus it's funny watching people desperately try to figure out what to do with their 5+ save characters. "I don't have any 6s on my destiny dice and he outranges my skyfires! Stormcasts are so busted!" -Tone deaf Tzeentch player.

Pick up a lot from reading this forum but I'd like to know what you guys think about my list:

Lord Aquilor as General

Lord Celestant 

Knight Vexillor

Knight Venator

Knight Questor

Excelsior Warpriest

10 Liberators Warblade and Shield (2 Grandblades)

10 Judicators with Skybolt Bows (2 Shockbolt Bows)

10 Vanguard Hunters

5 Paladin Protectors (2 Starsoul Maces)

3 Vanguard Palladors

1 Gryph Hound

= 2000 points

Not running any Battalions. I also have 4 Liberators with Hammer and Shield, 3 Prosecutors with Javelins and 4 Retributors. 

In the future I plan on buying a Celestant Prime, StarDrake and Vandus Hammerhand.

19 hours ago, Varred said:

Leaders
- General
Lord-Relictor (80)
Lord-Castellant (100)

Battleline
10 x Judicators (320)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers

Units
- 4x Starsoul Maces
2 x Fulminators (240)
1 x Gryph-Hound (40)

Cheers

Varred

As stated above, you need more mobility options for the Paladins (you also might swap them for Protectors and save 40 points).

Also, split the Judicators into two units. That way both your special bows are on Primes, and therefore hitting on 2s.

10 hours ago, Wraith01 said:

Pick up a lot from reading this forum but I'd like to know what you guys think about my list:

Lord Aquilor as General

Lord Celestant 

Knight Vexillor

Knight Venator

Knight Questor

Excelsior Warpriest

10 Liberators Warblade and Shield (2 Grandblades)

10 Judicators with Skybolt Bows (2 Shockbolt Bows)

10 Vanguard Hunters

5 Paladin Protectors (2 Starsoul Maces)

3 Vanguard Palladors

1 Gryph Hound

= 2000 points

Not running any Battalions. I also have 4 Liberators with Hammer and Shield, 3 Prosecutors with Javelins and 4 Retributors. 

In the future I plan on buying a Celestant Prime, StarDrake and Vandus Hammerhand.

It's functional, but it's sort of a hodge podge of stuff.  Generally the vanguard stuff doesn't mix and match very well outside of raptors.

My advice is to drop the libs, warpriest, Questor, Vexilor, and 5 hunters and pick up the Blightwar box and use the battalion in there. Run the Celestant with consumate commander.

3 hours ago, Widdershins said:

So I now have 9 Vanguard Raptors. How should I kit them? I put the numbers into a mathhammer calculator and it seemed like the Hurricane setup was vastly superior?

This is a perfect example of why mathhammer can only take you so far. In practice longstrike crossbows are just better for everything but horde clearing. Generally if you have 9 you build 6 Longstrikes and 3 hurricanes.  To extrapolate, by the time hurricanes are in range to shoot, they're in serious danger of being whomped off the board where longstrikes can either camp in a corner all game or can force your opponent to overextend just to curb the incoming damage. Longstrikes also lose a lot less effecriveness to moving.

That said, hurricanes have their use and a list that uses MSU hurricane squads to give out tons of minus charge distances might be really good if the meta really does switch to hordes.

18 hours ago, boombyeyeah said:

"For the purposes of determining visibility, an attacking model can see through other models in its unit."

I think this line is in so that you don't need to deploy in lines with no ranks because in practice (because it is true line of sight) few units can completely block line of sight to other units. 

Unless you had wall shaped models or models on enormous converted cliff bases but then folks might be accusing  you of modelling to advantage.

Archived