Let's chat Stormcast Eternals

Requizen

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The wording for total conquest and battle for the pass is that you need to have a unit of 20+ within 6" of the objective while the opponent does not, or failing that having more models from your army within 6" than the enemy does

The wording for total conquest and battle for the pass is that you need to have a unit of 20+ within 6" of the objective while the opponent does not, or failing that having more models from your army within 6" than the enemy does

Same difference, you need either 20+ or more models then you opponent to score the objective

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Either way horde armies auto win unless you can pack 5+ MSU on one spot. And thats just for one objective spot

I disagree completely that it's auto win for horde armies. We have plenty of tools at our disposal, it just requires a little bit of thought I.e use shooting to thin large units, fast units to tag objectives when it counts, scions (maybe) for some distractions.

Again it's far from auto win for horde armies, just make sure you have plenty of counters in your build. Choose your targets wisely [emoji16]

1 minute ago, Turragor said:

It makes target selection for ranged units interesting. It's almost a nerf to sniping key characters turn 1. If roundabout. If it works it's actually a bit smart.

Sell more models, refresh the meta, reduce character sniping (to an extent).

True...do you take out that necromancer who is buffing the unit of 40 skellies? Or do you try to thin out the 40 skellies cuz they are almost to the objective?

1 minute ago, CountryMou3e said:

AoS shorts did a really informative podcast about target selection. In there he discussed (as rule of thumb) that you should target the hero if its buffing multiple units or target the unit if he's only buffing one.

Wouldn't apply to our lovely LCoSD's with Castellants now would it?

I have had a thought - my previous CV chamber list has gotten me used to 3xmirrorshields, now I'm likely going to have to choose only 1 artefact! Yegads.

9 hours ago, Snoe said:

In the new Matched Play Scenario, Battle for the Pass, you have to have a unit of 20 or more models. What are your ideas on how to handle this? 20 libs? Cheap allies? Hit the opponent's units hard and with precision to take all their 20-man units down to >19?

Skickat från min Moto G (4) via Tapatalk

Target priority.

You know going into that mission that 20 man units are the trump card. Make sure you set up in a position to counter this and work on these units first. If i remember correctly (don't have the book on me, please correct me if i'm wrong) you score points equal the the turn. So build your strategy on clearing large units and late game scoring.  

Everyone has seen how massive our bases are right? Even if the opponent does have 20 bodies closing on an objective, if you get there first you can take up a lot of space if you body block the objective. Even 10 Liberators could bubble wrap an objective (certainly has an equal footprint to 40 skinks almost), because I don't see these hordes shifting 10 libbys easy.

Like people say, I think its just a case of newer tactics and brick walling off an objective in the cases of these scenarios. or doing enough damage to the horde that they quickly drop below that 20 figure.

It's super important to look into the fine worded details of those scenarios. If a unit of 20+ has 1 model in the objective area, they capture it. Otherwise, most models wins. So as other have mentioned, targeting hordes and walling off objectives seems to be the way to handle this.

18 hours ago, Ggg said:

Been doing many different list in the past few days!

Do you think that Vandus Hammerhand can be a general with command traits and artefacts? If so, I've cooked this:

Heroes:

Vandus - Staunch, mirror (280)

Castellant (100)

Relictor (80)

Battleline:

3*5 liberators (shields) (3*100)

Other:

2*2 tempestor (2*220)

2*2 fulminator (2*240)

Lightning echelon (240)

Could switch the lightning echelon for 2 extra fulminator. The other option is to drop the bataillon and Vandus for a LCoSD. Can't figure the second artefact atm.

No. Vandus is a terrible version of the Generic LCoD. He's worse in ever possible way. Even in a hammers of sigmar battalion he's terrible. He makes the battalion irrelevant and the battalion is terrible even before that. There is never a competitive reason to take that loser.

Here's something I've been playing around with on paper and I'm looking to test out pretty soon! I took inspiration from the recent stormcast list on the build up live streams (pre GH17). I've decided on less dracothian units in favour of a unit of vulkites that I'll keep tucked away until I need them. Either to score an objective or tie up/finish off some unwanted threats. I'm putting faith in my judicators to thin larger units/take wound of some larger threats at range whilst the stardrake + support move up the board. Relictor is there as utility to debuff units, chariot others to flanking positions and attempt to heal up the stardrake. Fulms are for counter charge and tempestors added support (I think these are a dark horse now). All great in principle ofcourse....

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals

Leaders
Auric Runesmiter (80)
- Runic Iron
Lord-Castellant (100)
Lord-Celestant On Stardrake (560)
- General
- Celestine Hammer
- Trait: Staunch Defender
- Artefact: Mirrorshield
- Stardrake Trait: Keen-clawed
Lord-Relictor (80)

Battleline
20 x Vulkite Berzerkers (240)
- War-Picks & Slingshields
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- Stormcast Eternals Battleline
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows

Units
2 x Fulminators (240)
2 x Tempestors (220)

Total: 2000/2000

So I got a(Partial) look at the battalion in blightwar, and holy balls is it actually really really good. Not sure if it's GT worthy but you'll mess up some fools at a local RTT.  Basically 1 of every type of vanguard+ neave(couldn't see the actual unit numbers, hoping for 1-3 rather than 1 or 3 or 3-9) Every member of the battalion within 6" of Neave in the hero phase gets a free 5" move(which is already pretty great) but you also get +1 to hit any unit you shot at if you also charged that phase. Looks like 160-180 pts for the battalion. So around 900pts minimum assuming 1 of each, which gives you quite a bit of room to play with. You could throw on a vanguard Strike battalion with 15 libs and a lord Aquilor general or 10 libs and have a lord aquilor and a knight venator with luckstone. You could do LCoD with 3x5 Libs A castellant and 4 fulminators. There are so many options for splashing this battalion(Assuming it ISN'T something stupid like 3-9 of each) that I'm crazy excited to play with it.

So I got a(Partial) look at the battalion in blightwar, and holy balls is it actually really really good. Not sure if it's GT worthy but you'll mess up some fools at a local RTT.  Basically 1 of every type of vanguard+ neave(couldn't see the actual unit numbers, hoping for 1-3 rather than 1 or 3 or 3-9) Every member of the battalion within 6" of Neave in the hero phase gets a free 5" move(which is already pretty great) but you also get +1 to hit any unit you shot at if you also charged that phase. Looks like 160-180 pts for the battalion. So around 900pts minimum assuming 1 of each, which gives you quite a bit of room to play with. You could throw on a vanguard Strike battalion with 15 libs and a lord Aquilor general or 10 libs and have a lord aquilor and a knight venator with luckstone. You could do LCoD with 3x5 Libs A castellant and 4 fulminators. There are so many options for splashing this battalion(Assuming it ISN'T something stupid like 3-9 of each) that I'm crazy excited to play with it.

This looks really interesting ! Might make hunters useful [emoji16]

Just sharing the list I ran in a game yesterday that I was happy with and my reasoning behind it:

Lord Celestant On Stardrake - Hammer, Mirror Shield, Shielded By Faith, Thunderlord

Drycha

Castellant

5 Judicators - Bows, Shockbolt

2 Fulminators

3 Hurricane Raptors

3 Longstrike Raptors

Not a lot of models on the table but lots of aggression. Stardrake and Longstrikes between them can do early character sniping. Stardrake, Drycha (I think she will be good if a horde meta come about), Fulminators and Hurricanes are for Horde thinning and Judicators are excellent at everything in-between.

Can be tough to score on objectives but there are very little options to get models on the table with stormcast without running allies with hordes of skinks.

19 minutes ago, trarux said:

Fast question. I got the age of sigmar starter box, is the mounted unit allowed to be used both as LC on Dracoth and Hamerhand ? 

If it is, what weapon should I use on the LC since he has 4 

A) Yes, B) Tempetos Hammer C) Only make him hammerhand for fluff reasons.

2 hours ago, BURF1 said:

Looks really strong!

I'm pretty miffed that Neave's warscroll specifically states she must be painted in Hammers of Sigmar colors, I really hope nobody tries to enforce that. I don't need a single bright gold model in the middle of my Anvils army. That or there better be a generic Knight-Zephyros sooner rather than later.

2 hours ago, BURF1 said:

You would like to hope that they follow the trend of start collecting boxes etc, and that the contents of the box would make a legal battalion without the need for more models. If you would need more models it would surely defeat the fluffyness of why the battalion exists in the box.

Hi guys,

Refining a bit the last two lists I posted, I inadvertently got a flexible list that can be suited by switching weapon configurations of the same units in 20 points increments.

Let's see if that makes sense:

Drakesworn Templar    500    Lord Celestant on Stardrake    560        
Lord Aquilor    200                
Lord Relictor    80    Lord Castellant    100        
Liberators    100                
Liberators    100                
Vanguard-Hunters    140    Judicators    160        
Vanguard Palladors    220                
Tempestors    220    Fulminators    240    Concussors    280
Tempestors    220    Fulminators    240    Concussors    280
Hurricane Raptors    160    Longstrike Raptors    180        

In the first column you have the cheapest alternative, and then the more expensive ones. I can magnetize everything (I will have my Judicators as Hunters armed with bows or their native equipment) except the Relictor/Castellant and swithc from one to the other.

I would pick one of the options from each row until I reach 2000 points. Lord Celestant on Stardrake, for example, allows only the cheapest combination, but Drakesworn Templar gives a lot of leeway to shuffle points between more expensive Dracoths, Longstrikes, Judicators or the Castellant.

I don't think I invented the wheel here, but I'm quite happy to have found such an "evolving" army which allows so much choice without changing my models.

PS: If I use the LCoSD I don't have to lose his command ability if the Lord-Aquillor has Consummate Commander. Yes, I know Staunch Defender is the bees knees, you you gotta make compromises xD

Archived