Let's chat Stormcast Eternals

Requizen

45 minutes ago, Turragor said:

With the new matched play missions requiring units of 20 or more (unless no one has 20 or more then its most models) within 6 inches to hold objectives, how were fellow SCE players thinking of changing their lists?

I don't think that any of these missions actually require 20 if there's no contesting at the location. So you can cap your own board side and get some points to start with.

I've had a quick think and I don't see myself taking a unit of 30 liberators to contest objectives in the enemy area.

I think I'll focus on taking big units of 20 below 20 (so horde killing) and having more of my own units in the vicinity (so I get the model count).

Not decided though. I quite like the idea of a big block of liberators.

bigs ennemy units of more than 20 models are just asking to be destroyed by decimators and vanguard raptor with hurricane

The lord celestant on dracoth with lightning hammer is able to solo even the most terryfying horde of the game, and stardrakes are VERY good against them.

It won't be a problem

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Turragor said:

With the new matched play missions requiring units of 20 or more (unless no one has 20 or more then its most models) within 6 inches to hold objectives, how were fellow SCE players thinking of changing their lists?

I don't think that any of these missions actually require 20 if there's no contesting at the location. So you can cap your own board side and get some points to start with.

I've had a quick think and I don't see myself taking a unit of 30 liberators to contest objectives in the enemy area.

I think I'll focus on taking big units of 20 below 20 (so horde killing) and having more of my own units in the vicinity (so I get the model count).

Not decided though. I quite like the idea of a big block of liberators.

I think the "thin them down below 20" is by far the best strategy for us, taking into account we have Hurricane Raptors, Decimators and Stardrakes (Roaring Thunderhead is just mean against 30-40 man blobs!)

On another note, what do you think of this list? I think you sold me a little on Tempestors and I included them in my new draft:

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals

Heroes
Lord-Aquilor (200)
- General
Drakesworn Templar (500)
- Arc Hammer
Lord-Relictor (80)

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warblade & Shield
- 1x Grandblades
5 x Vanguard-Hunters (140)
- Stormcast Eternals Battleline (Lord Aquilor General)

Units
3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (180)
3 x Aetherwings (60)
2 x Tempestors (220)
5 x Paladin Protectors (200)
- 2x Starsoul Maces
3 x Vanguard-Palladors (220)

Total: 2000/2000

Artifacts, Traits and Prayers are left open on purpose to decide on them later.

I think the "thin them down below 20" is by far the best strategy for us, taking into account we have Hurricane Raptors, Decimators and Stardrakes (Roaring Thunderhead is just mean against 30-40 man blobs!)
On another note, what do you think of this list? I think you sold me a little on Tempestors and I included them in my new draft:

Heroes
Lord-Aquilor (200)
- General
Drakesworn Templar (500)
- Arc Hammer
Lord-Relictor (80)

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warblade & Shield
- 1x Grandblades
5 x Vanguard-Hunters (140)
- Stormcast Eternals Battleline (Lord Aquilor General)

Units
3 x Aetherwings (60)
2 x Tempestors (220)
5 x Paladin Protectors (200)
- 2x Starsoul Maces

Total: 2000/2000   Artifacts, Traits and Prayers are left open on purpose to decide on them later.

Personally, aquillor as general isn't worth it unless your vanguard heavy. Drop the paladins/save some pts to put the palladors upto a unit of 6 and get some judicators in there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, CountryMou3e said:

Personally, aquillor as general isn't worth it unless your vanguard heavy. Drop the paladins/save some pts to put the palladors upto a unit of 6 and get some judicators in there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, that list is sort of a hodge-podge. Paladins are pretty bad outside of hammerstrike, there's never a reason to take a Drakesworn templar over a LCoSD(or 2 runesmiter magmadroths, Frostheart pheonix+Archmage, High elf dragon of any variety, Sorc dragon, dread dragon, etc. basically any behemouth in order these days is better than a drakesworn) Lord Aquilor needs the entire army built around him to be worth it, never a reason to take liberator+aetherwings over judicators.

20 minutes ago, Burf said:

Yeah, that list is sort of a hodge-podge. Paladins are pretty bad outside of hammerstrike, there's never a reason to take a Drakesworn templar over a LCoSD(or 2 runesmiter magmadroths, Frostheart pheonix+Archmage, High elf dragon of any variety, Sorc dragon, dread dragon, etc. basically any behemouth in order these days is better than a drakesworn) Lord Aquilor needs the entire army built around him to be worth it, never a reason to take liberator+aetherwings over judicators.

Woha, a bit extreme? Is there consensus around this advice, guys?

Drakesworn cost 60 points less than LcoSD and only loses the shield (the rest is a wash). And people uses the LCoSD. Is it because most other behemoths got cheaper?

I have seen Lord Aquilor in many different lists, the same for Liberators. And Protectors are usually considered a good unit.

I would like to get some more opinions before discarding it. I don't want an ultra competitive net list. Only a good one.

Woha, a bit extreme? Is there consensus around this advice, guys?
Drakesworn cost 60 points less than LcoSD and only loses the shield (the rest is a wash). And people uses the LCoSD. Is it because most other behemoths got cheaper?
I have seen Lord Aquilor in many different lists, the same for Liberators. And Protectors are usually considered a good unit.
I would like to get some more opinions before discarding it. I don't want an ultra competitive net list. Only a good one.

The shield (reflecting MWs) and the command ability are worth 60pts. I always have few dracoths with him and that wounds reroll is great to get more 6s. Liberators are not bad, but paladins are too slow imo, and now with staunch defender, I find dracoths better than them

This is my idea

lord cele on stardrake 560

-straunch defender

-keen clawed

-mirror shield

Drakeswarn Templar 500

-arch hammer

lord cele 100

lord relictor 80

-lighting chariot

2x5 liberators 100

5 prosecutors 160

10 retributors 400 

tot 2000

can be competitive this list?:)

4 hours ago, DrEmrys said:

The shield (reflecting MWs) and the command ability are worth 60pts. I always have few dracoths with him and that wounds reroll is great to get more 6s. Liberators are not bad, but paladins are too slow imo, and now with staunch defender, I find dracoths better than them

The command ability is only interesting if you have more than one unit of dracoths, isn't it? They cost to many points for me to field them in such a way (LCoSD+2 units of Fulminators f.e. 1040 points, half the army without mandatory battleline or any support hero!)

Paladins are slow, but Protectors can screen Longstrikes and/or support heroes. And Lightning Chariot can get them around the place. Maybe the three units from days of old (I used Devastation Brotherhood and Knights Excelsior) are dead, but one can't hurt that much. Decimators' anti horde is difficult to replicate elsewhere, for example.

I would like to submit you a list I think about.

The new meta tends toward hordes, and we know the Stardrake manages it very well.

I was thinking about how to build a list around him with this in mind :

Size    Cost    Name
1    200    Lords of the Storm
1    560    Lord-Celestant sur Stardrake - Staunch Defender
1    100    Lord-Castellant
1    80    Lord-Relictor - Divine light
1    80    Knight-Azyros - Lantern of the tempests
1    120    Knight-Heraldor
1    120    Knight-Venator

2    220    Dracothian Tempestors
2    220    Dracothian Tempestors

5    100    Liberators
5    100    Liberators
5    100    Liberators

Should be amazing to see a horde unit forced to flee with the Lords of the Storm bataillon.

Around him, the Heros and Liberators manage the center of the map, while the Tempestors gravitate around them.

4 hours ago, DanielFM said:

The command ability is only interesting if you have more than one unit of dracoths, isn't it? They cost to many points for me to field them in such a way (LCoSD+2 units of Fulminators f.e. 1040 points, half the army without mandatory battleline or any support hero!)

Paladins are slow, but Protectors can screen Longstrikes and/or support heroes. And Lightning Chariot can get them around the place. Maybe the three units from days of old (I used Devastation Brotherhood and Knights Excelsior) are dead, but one can't hurt that much. Decimators' anti horde is difficult to replicate elsewhere, for example.

The reroll 1s shield is the single most valuable part of his entire kit. On a 3+ save model in a faction with easy access to save buffs, it's absolutely crucial to keeping him alive. 

Think about it like this, SD Drakesworn templar charges 40 buffed up ghouls,  it dies. Maybe it takes a turn or two but it does die before the ghoul block fails enough regens. SD LCoSD charges 40buffed ghouls it take 0 damage and the ghouls kill themselves with their own attacks.(sidebar, the combo you illustrated is extremely competitive.)

And the issue with paladins is they desperately need a less than 9" delivery system to be worth how expensive they are. Using LC to TP them around means that you have to make a 9" charge or just watch your opponent kite you all day. Plus it's a 1 use only thing in all practical terms. Using Paladins to screen for longstrikes is good, but A) not every army has shooting and B) they're very expensive for that purpose. They die hard to bravery, they're not hard to kill. Decimators are good anti-horde but with allies there are things that are better at it, or 2 units of 40 skinks if you wanna out horde the hordes. Generally I splash in paladins with friends when I want to make my list less competitive.

13 minutes ago, BURF1 said:

The reroll 1s shield is the single most valuable part of his entire kit. On a 3+ save model in a faction with easy access to save buffs, it's absolutely crucial to keeping him alive. 

Think about it like this, SD Drakesworn templar charges 40 buffed up ghouls,  it dies. Maybe it takes a turn or two but it does die before the ghoul block fails enough regens. SD LCoSD charges 40buffed ghouls it take 0 damage and the ghouls kill themselves with their own attacks.

I don't want to target you I just want to weigh in on this debate.

The Drakesworn templar seems best when you can use it to buff Concussors. The plus one to hit is very good for more mortal wounds and doubly good for preventing these massive units of 40 ghouls from being able to pile in. Being able to keep massive regiments in place completely neuters their effectiveness and the templar makes this happen more often. 

I enjoy running him with Vandus, Concussors, judicators for battleline and castellants/relictors. Play defensively and use the concussors to counter charge. 

Hi guys,

I'm currently struggling to update my list. I've played the warden realmgate until recently to deliver my paladins and right now, this formation is not valid anymore. So no more TP around. I've built and army around a bigger liberator blob. Main idea is to buff it with sisters to cover up no rend and -1 rend attackers quite easily. The rest, I'm look to upgrade though:

celestant - stauch

castellant -tempest lantern

Heraldor

Relictor - LC prayer

15 liberator s

5 liberators

5 judicators

2*5 decimators

2*5 javelin procecutors

5 sisters of the thorn

3 raptors with longstride

Getting the liberator with a 2+ reroll save will cause MW back on 4+/5+ with 0/-1 rend, with will tend to many units. Struggling to see how.I will use the paladins though because they more a mere 4 inches...

Any tips, ideas, comments on a list like that? And please, don't say LCoSD. Hate that guy and can't justify the points I think.

Another possible Stardrake list (and very Extremis for those that like the theme) might be:

Heroes
Lord-Celestant On Stardrake (560)
- General
- Celestine Hammer
- Trait: Staunch Defender
- Artefact: Mirrorshield
- Stardrake Trait: Keen-clawed
Lord-Celestant On Dracoth (220)
- Tempestos Hammer & Thundershield
Lord-Castellant (100)

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows

Units
4 x Fulminators (480)
2 x Tempestors (220)

They are so strong against most shooting, you might even just deploy the Stardrake and Dracoths at the start, which gives you a small number of drops for an easy 1st turn. Then teleport in the other units when and where you need them.

I came up with this list for 2000 points:

General: Drakesworn templar(500) - feather foe torc , Consummate commander

lord-celestant(100) - armor of silvered sigmarite

vanguard wing battalion(200)

-3 prosecutors w/javelins, leader with trident(100)

-5 liberators w/hammer + shields, leader w/grandhammer(100)

-5 Judicators w/bows , leader w/ shockbolt bow(160)

5 liberators w/hammer + shields, leader w/grandhammer(100)

4 fulminators(480)

gryph hound(40)

total 1980/2000

I use the vanguard wing battalion to quickly transport liberators around the board where needed to cap objectives, the drakesworn templar along with the lord-celestant helps buff the fulminators hitting ability.

I'm considering swapping out the gryph hound for a unit of 10 skinks.

Built a vanguard chamber for my stormcast, all I need is two of the stormcast sides of blightwar, $160 in total. 

Lord Aquillor

-Mirrorshield

-Consumate Defender

-Windrider

1x 10 Vanguard Hunters

2x 5 Vanguard Hunters

4xVanguard Palladors

2x Vanguard raptors with crossbows. 

Depending on how the points work out for Neave Blacktalon, if she's 100 or less, I will make the 10 man vanguard hunter unit a 5 man unit, and add Neave and a branchwych/sorceress as an ally. 

The plan is to give my opponent first turn if I get the chance to (10 drops is a lot), otherwise just go for the alpha strike, 30" range on the crossbows is huge, and will let me snipe characters, while the aquillor, hunters, and pallaors surround the enemy, pepper them with shots and pen them into their deployment zone. The consumate defender trait gives my army a ton more durability if I need to go first, or if I lose T1 initiative. I like the list with Neave in it more, simply because she can follow the lord aquillor, who moves 7D6, and gives he a 2+ save. She is another hero, along with the branchwych for 3 places of power, and the branchwych is a caster to help unbind here and there, and throw mystic shield on sometime before it goes in, and I already own the model. 

3 hours ago, Ggg said:

Hi guys,

I'm currently struggling to update my list. I've played the warden realmgate until recently to deliver my paladins and right now, this formation is not valid anymore. So no more TP around. I've built and army around a bigger liberator blob. Main idea is to buff it with sisters to cover up no rend and -1 rend attackers quite easily. The rest, I'm look to upgrade though:

celestant - stauch

castellant -tempest lantern

Heraldor

Relictor - LC prayer

15 liberator s

5 liberators

5 judicators

2*5 decimators

2*5 javelin procecutors

5 sisters of the thorn

3 raptors with longstride

Getting the liberator with a 2+ reroll save will cause MW back on 4+/5+ with 0/-1 rend, with will tend to many units. Struggling to see how.I will use the paladins though because they more a mere 4 inches...

Any tips, ideas, comments on a list like that? And please, don't say LCoSD. Hate that guy and can't justify the points I think.

Prosecutors come in multiples of 3. Liberator thing sounds nice, except no one will bother attacking them because they do almost no damage even hitting on 2s and you don't have anything threatening enough to punish someone just Acing the SoTT outright. What'll end up happening is first turn your opponent will kill the SoTT, the Heraldor, the raptors and 4-5 decimators if they came out of the Celestial realms. Turn 2 you lose the rest of the decimators and the Catellant and you'll just get ground out from there.

Interestingly, you claim to hate the LCoSD but have presented a list that one of those would pretty much walk through by himself. 

4 hours ago, BURF1 said:

Think about it like this, SD Drakesworn templar charges 40 buffed up ghouls,  it dies. Maybe it takes a turn or two but it does die before the ghoul block fails enough regens. SD LCoSD charges 40buffed ghouls it take 0 damage and the ghouls kill themselves with their own attacks.(sidebar, the combo you illustrated is extremely competitive.)

And the issue with paladins is they desperately need a less than 9" delivery system to be worth how expensive they are. Using LC to TP them around means that you have to make a 9" charge or just watch your opponent kite you all day. Plus it's a 1 use only thing in all practical terms. Using Paladins to screen for longstrikes is good, but A) not every army has shooting and B) they're very expensive for that purpose. They die hard to bravery, they're not hard to kill. Decimators are good anti-horde but with allies there are things that are better at it, or 2 units of 40 skinks if you wanna out horde the hordes. Generally I splash in paladins with friends when I want to make my list less competitive.

Yeah, I see how it can be really devastating once he locks into combat.

(do you mean the LCoSD, 2 Dracoth units and the rest up to 2000 for battleline and sprinkles?)

Paladins could be used to walk up to an objective and charge whatever is defending it. They can't be avoided in this way. Scions of the Storm is unreliable (but would otherwise let you drop more than one unit close). Lightning Chariot can only transport 1 unit at a time :(  although it could be done in waves. Previously, the Knights Excelsior Chain Unbroken + LoTT + Staunch Defender + Warding Lantern gave a turtle which could actually walk up the board to an objective. Unfortunately, that build died.

Thing is, you either face an army with no shooting and Protectors are wasted or you face an army with significant shooting and any buffing character or Raptors unit dies the moment they look at them funny. I don't think the should be dismissed that fast. Maybe I can agree about them being to expensive for a glorified screen.

About Decimators and replacing them with allies: I hate allies. I want pure Stormcasts. And I hate Skinks more than anything in this world :D

3 hours ago, Kakoshka said:

I don't want to target you I just want to weigh in on this debate.

The Drakesworn templar seems best when you can use it to buff Concussors. The plus one to hit is very good for more mortal wounds and doubly good for preventing these massive units of 40 ghouls from being able to pile in. Being able to keep massive regiments in place completely neuters their effectiveness and the templar makes this happen more often. 

I enjoy running him with Vandus, Concussors, judicators for battleline and castellants/relictors. Play defensively and use the concussors to counter charge. 

I guess that's one of his best uses. Only problem is Concussors being so expensive...

If only the arrow gave +1 to hit in combat and also in shooting, that would make Lightning Breath/Surge devastating!

My list: 

List Summary

FullShort

Allegiance: Order

Heroes
Lord-Castellant (100)
Lord-Celestant (100)
Lord-Celestant On Dracoth (220)
- Tempestos Hammer & Thundershield

Battleline
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- Stormcast Eternals Battleline
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers

Units
5 x Paladin Protectors (200)
2 x Tempestors (200)
2 x Fulminators (240)
5 x Paladin Decimators (200)

Battalions
The Skyborne Slayers (220)

Total: 2000/2000

I played this weekend 3 games with this list and won all three of them. Against Tzeentch, Khorne and Ironjaws. I think its the most efficient way to play stormcast now. What are youre opinions?

8 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

My list: 

List Summary

FullShort

Allegiance: Order

Heroes
Lord-Castellant (100)
Lord-Celestant (100)
Lord-Celestant On Dracoth (220)
- Tempestos Hammer & Thundershield

Battleline
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers

Units
5 x Paladin Protectors (200)
2 x Tempestors (200)
2 x Fulminators (240)
5 x Paladin Decimators (200)

Battalions
The Skyborne Slayers (220)

Total: 2000/2000

I played this weekend 3 games with this list and won all three of them. Against Tzeentch, Khorne and Ironjaws. I think its the most efficient way to play stormcast now. What are youre opinions?

What kind of Tzeentch list were you playing against? I seriously struggle against them but haven't tried skyborne too many times

Ok, we are getting close to list spam :/, but: is this list better than my previous ones? It feels more focused. Yes, it still has a Lord Aquillor (which would be the general) with only two units suitable for teleportation, but I really want to field them.

Heroes
Lord-Aquilor (200)
General
Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
5 x Liberators (100)
5 x Judicators (160)

Units
2 x Fulminators (240)
2 x Tempestors (220)

Total: 1980/2000

Alternatively:

Heroes
Lord-Aquilor (200)
General
Drakesworn Templar (500)

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
5 x Liberators (100)
5 x Judicators (160)

Units
2 x Tempestors (220)
2 x Concussors (280) (to take advantage of Drakesworn's buff)
3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows (160)
3 x Aetherwings (60)

23 minutes ago, DanielFM said:

Ok, we are getting close to list spam :/, but: is this list better than my previous ones? It feels more focused. Yes, it still has a Lord Aquillor (which would be the general) with only two units suitable for teleportation, but I really want to field them.

Heroes
Lord-Aquilor (200)
General
Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
5 x Liberators (100)
5 x Judicators (160)

Units
2 x Fulminators (240)
2 x Tempestors (220)

Total: 1980/2000

Alternatively:

Heroes
Lord-Aquilor (200)
General
Drakesworn Templar (500)

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
5 x Liberators (100)
5 x Judicators (160)

Units
2 x Tempestors (220)
2 x Concussors (280) (to take advantage of Drakesworn's buff)
3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows (160)
3 x Aetherwings (60)

I like the second but would drop the birds to either turn liberators into judicators or something else into more concussors. I personally think they're good and don't think birds do enough. They won't be holding objective with 6 wounds and no save.

1 hour ago, Erdemo86 said:

Only rememper that he had 15 Skyfires and Tzangor Shaman. Which killed the most of with alpha strike . 

I don't want to keep complaining about this but I'm going into a tourney soon and expect to face several changehose plus skyfire lists.

At 2.5k they get 3 drops. 9-12 skyfires, shaman and change host. With enough pinks, blues and brimstones to bubble wrap the Lord of Change from any turn one charges. They get to dictate who goes first and we have no way to deal with the mortal wound output.

Celestant with lantern is good protection but can be easily taken care of by swapping in a wizard and melting it. Protectors can help but with a 16 inch flying move the skyfires can easily reposition.

Even with skyborne slayers I dont see the judicators doing enough to really dent the main damage dealers of LoC and skyfires. And thats IF they dont bubblewrap effectively.

Archived