Let's chat Stormcast Eternals

Requizen

43 minutes ago, CountryMou3e said:

Vanguard wing aside. This 30 lib idea , what if you parked a Castellant and vandus close by. Staunch defender, Castellant +1save and +1 attacks for melee weapons. Not as mobile but the potential for a decent sized board control and some really difficult models to shift. You can't really ignore it either.

Park a cheap gun line behind it or some deep striking units ... cogs are turning ... but I'm still not sure lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe the meta will turn not just towards hordes but specifically battleshock immune tarpit hordes. It usually pays to have what the best of the enemy has. A tarpit is a handy thing.

That or horde destroyers as mentioned already - my own favourite will be a reduced price stardrake!

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Auroch said:

What do you mean with reduced price stardrake ?

Stardrakes on lord celestant enjoy a 40 point reduction now.

5 minutes ago, rokapoke said:

My big concern with the super sized unit of Liberators is the ease with which your opponent can surgically avoid your grand weapons. I agree it's a strong tarpit but I'm not sure how often it can actually kill anything. 

Unless you field a Vangard wing;)

1 hour ago, Turragor said:

That or horde destroyers as mentioned already - my own favourite will be a reduced price stardrake!

I like the Stardrake too.

But with him, the VW would be defense oriented :

Size    Cost    Name
  1    560    Lord-Celestant sur Stardrake
  1    100    Lord-Castellant

1    200    Vanguard wing
  3    100    Prosecutors Javelines
  5    160    Judicators Bow
30    520    Liberators

5    160    Judicators Bow

Very tanky, but a limited offensive power.

But it is the price to pay to have 2 unkillable units... It deserves a try :)

Didn't see it posted, so thought I would share the info on Neave Blacktalon that was shared on the stream today:

Move: 6

Bravery: 9

Attacks: 7, hitting on 3s, wounding on 3s, -1 rend, with 1 damage / 2 against heroes and monsters.

She has a special ability allowing her to join a unit riding the aetheric winds (either Palladors or Lord-Aquilor) – she must end up within 6” of the unit, and more than 3” away from any enemy unit.

She is 120 points – great value for points!!

Somebody in the stream said that she has a 4= save and is a 5 wound model (that remains to be confirmed)

She's a named character – some unnamed Knight-Zephyros coming in at a later date is a possibility.

Seems like the no battalion list I was going to paint for my SC might become something far closer to the norm. My prosecutors going up pushes them out of the list, so I now have 80 points to work with. Could be a 2nd Relictor, an Azyros, a couple gryph hounds, or some Aetherwings. Also not fully sold on the Palladors, so they might also be dropped, giving me a bit more to work with.

5 hours ago, Veillotron said:

Didn't see it posted, so thought I would share the info on Neave Blacktalon that was shared on the stream today:

Attacks: 7, hitting on 3s, wounding on 3s, -1 rend, with 1 damage / 2 against heroes and monsters.

She has a special ability allowing her to join a unit riding the aetheric winds (either Palladors or Lord-Aquilor) – she must end up within 6” of the unit, and more than 3” away from any enemy unit.

Somebody in the stream said that she has a 4= save and is a 5 wound model (that remains to be confirmed)

She's a named character – some unnamed Knight-Zephyros coming in at a later date is a possibility.

Sounds nice. A pure assassin character.

I don't know if I would spend 120 in a character which only provides killy goodness and not synergy. But she is a nice addition.

2 minutes ago, AverageBoss said:

Seems like the no battalion list I was going to paint for my SC might become something far closer to the norm. My prosecutors going up pushes them out of the list, so I now have 80 points to work with. Could be a 2nd Relictor, an Azyros, a couple gryph hounds, or some Aetherwings. Also not fully sold on the Palladors, so they might also be dropped, giving me a bit more to work with.

So you didn't find the Palladors useful in your games? I'm interested in their performance

I have not actually had a chance to field them (have 6 plus the Lord). My opinion is based mostly on my reading of their rules and comparing them with other options, and how I have seen them perform in bat reps. You get more wounds for your points than Dracoths, but they are more fragile wounds. They are super speedy and can get wherever they want. But they lack punching power.

So not sure if they are going to make it into the first 2K I paint.

Can she charge after riding the winds ? If she can't she's dead... it's great in theory but only if she can charge.

I'd stick her with a unit of 6 palladors, blink next to a hero , soften with javelins and charge her in to finish but again I doubt she can charge after winds

27 minutes ago, CountryMou3e said:

Can she charge after riding the winds ? If she can't she's dead... it's great in theory but only if she can charge.

9 minutes ago, kozokus said:

And more can she deploy like  vanguard rangers? :D

She does not have a compass, they would have mentioned it. However, since she is part of the Vanguard chamber, I would expect the Lord Aquilor being able to use his ability to transport her around the board as if she had one.

@CountryMou3e' - you are correct that if she can't charge, it is a risky strategy to have her ride the winds as she could get wiped out upon arrival. But I think that this point is also valid for the Paladors. The only time I have used the wind aetheric is to get to an objective.

I think that the Palladors truly become interesting with a Lord Aquilor - more with his astral compass ability. Of course it depends on the placement of the ennemy units on the board, but a 7" charge is doable... And maybe they don't hit as hard as Fulminators on the charge, but the gryph-chargers' attack has a rend of -2, and a group of 6 can do a lot of damage. And what I love the most about the Lord-Aquilor and Pallador combo is the ability to shift the unit next turn to another combat if required. Once I transported both my LA and my Palladors, everybody charged and almost killed the ennemy model in one go (had one wound left). I got the double-turn, and so during the hero phase I used the LA' command ability to ship the Palladors to attack another unit, leaving my LA to finish the job.  The logic would be the same for Blacktalon - this might be a more interesting mechanic to utilize her assassin skills...

As @AverageBoss said, the Dracoths are more resistant in combat (although more at risk to MWs...) and typically will hit harder. But I do love the dynamic of my LA and Palladors's movement ability... I have 2 units of both Dracoths and Palladors in my list...

She does not have a compass, they would have mentioned it. However, since she is part of the Vanguard chamber, I would expect the Lord Aquilor being able to use his ability to transport her around the board as if she had one.
[mention=5611]CountryMou3e[/mention]' - you are correct that if she can't charge, it is a risky strategy to have her ride the winds as she could get wiped out upon arrival. But I think that this point is also valid for the Paladors. The only time I have used the wind aetheric is to get to an objective.
I think that the Palladors truly become interesting with a Lord Aquilor - more with his astral compass ability. Of course it depends on the placement of the ennemy units on the board, but a 7" charge is doable... And maybe they don't hit as hard as Fulminators on the charge, but the gryph-chargers' attack has a rend of -2, and a group of 6 can do a lot of damage. And what I love the most about the Lord-Aquilor and Pallador combo is the ability to shift the unit next turn to another combat if required. Once I transported both my LA and my Palladors, everybody charged and almost killed the ennemy model in one go (had one wound left). I got the double-turn, and so during the hero phase I used the LA' command ability to ship the Palladors to attack another unit, leaving my LA to finish the job.  The logic would be the same for Blacktalon - this might be a more interesting mechanic to utilize her assassin skills...
As [mention=1385]AverageBoss[/mention] said, the Dracoths are more resistant in combat (although more at risk to MWs...) and typically will hit harder. But I do love the dynamic of my LA and Palladors's movement ability... I have 2 units of both Dracoths and Palladors in my list...

Agree

With blightwar I'm gunna be rolling a unit of 6 palladors for sure. Any chance you can share your list ?

11 hours ago, CountryMou3e said:

Vanguard wing aside. This 30 lib idea , what if you parked a Castellant and vandus close by. Staunch defender, Castellant +1save and +1 attacks for melee weapons. Not as mobile but the potential for a decent sized board control and some really difficult models to shift. You can't really ignore it either.

Who needs to be mobile when your foot print is a quarter of the board xD

Definitely excited to get the Stormcast half of the box, will be my first dabble into the Vanguard Wing. Does anyone know whether the models are the full sprues with all weapon options? Not that it matters much, because all of this talk of hordes makes me think I need some of those Crossbows in my Armies from now on.

what do you guys think to this list?

Allegiance : SCE

Heroes
Lord-Aquilor (200)
- General
Knight-Venator (120)
Neave Blacktalon (120)

Battleline
10 x Vanguard-Hunters (280)
5 x Liberators (100)
5 x Liberators (100)

Units
9 x Vanguard-Palladors (660)
6 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (360)
3 x Aetherwings (60)

Total: 2000/2000

42 minutes ago, CountryMou3e said:

Any chance you can share your list ?

Of course:

Leaders

• Lord Aquilor (200)
    • General
    • Command Trait: Staunch Defender
    • Artefact: Armour of Destiny
  • Lord Celestant on Dracoth (220)
  • Lord-Castellant (100)
  • Lord-Relictor (80)
    • Prayer: Divine Light
  • Neave Blacktalon (120) - new addition :x

Elites

• Unit of 2 Fulminators (240)
  • Unit of 6 Vanguard-Pallador (440)

Battlelines

• Unit of 5 Judicators (160)
  • Unit of 5 Liberators (100)

Total: 2,000/2,000

Another list that I like (although I haven't had the chance to play it yet) is to replace [Lord-Castellant  + Relictor + Neave  + Judicators] with [Celestant-Prime + 3rd unit of Liberators]. I love the Prime (probably more than I should, but he's so much fun to play), and this would give me 3 or 4 fast-moving, hard-hitting groups. With the new meta of big units, it might be more difficult... I will still stick with this list - I am hoping that a) with their movement they can engage in combat quickly to kill buffing leaders / greatly reduce the mass units (Bravery helping) and b) with my SCE's strong saves, they should be able to survive mass attacks from no rend units... I guess time will tell

Of course:
Leaders
  • Lord Aquilor (200)
    • General
    • Command Trait: Staunch Defender
    • Artefact: Armour of Destiny
  • Lord Celestant on Dracoth (220)
  • Lord-Castellant (100)
  • Lord-Relictor (80)
    • Prayer: Divine Light
  • Neave Blacktalon (120) - new addition [emoji8]
Elites
  • Unit of 6 Vanguard-Pallador (440)
Battlelines
  • Unit of 5 Judicators (160)
Total: 2,000/2,000

Another list that I like (although I haven't had the chance to play it yet) is to replace [Lord-Castellant  + Relictor + Neave  + Judicators] with [Celestant-Prime + 3rd unit of Liberators]. I love the Prime (probably more than I should, but he's so much fun to play), and this would give me 3 or 4 fast-moving, hard-hitting groups. With the new meta of big units, it might be more difficult... I will still stick with this list - I am hoping that a) with their movement they can engage in combat quickly to kill buffing leaders / greatly reduce the mass units (Bravery helping) and b) with my SCE's strong saves, they should be able to survive mass attacks from no rend units... I guess time will tell

Would dropping the relictor and adding vandus do any good ? Consummate commander and you'll get to buff the dracoths and be annoying with aquillor haha I like it

6 minutes ago, Zhorphorus said:

what do you guys think to this list?

Allegiance : SCE

Heroes
Lord-Aquilor (200)
- General
Knight-Venator (120)
Neave Blacktalon (120)

Battleline
10 x Vanguard-Hunters (280)
5 x Liberators (100)
5 x Liberators (100)

Units
9 x Vanguard-Palladors (660)
6 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (360)
3 x Aetherwings (60)

Total: 2000/2000

That's a lot of shooting!

One concern I would have is the tankiness of your Palladors - at 4+ they can take a beating quickly. I keep mine close to my Aquilor to benefit from his +1 Staunch Defender ability. If you don't have this ability or split your group of 9, I'd consider including a Castellant for his Warding Light. Might be a challenge to keep up with the birds, but what's so great with his ability is that you don't even have to roll for it...

Archived