Let's chat Stormcast Eternals

Requizen

20 minutes ago, CountryMou3e said:

We don’t know how staunch is going to look in the new edition. I feel it’ll probably be changed 

Technically, with a new book, they could rip up everything and start over if they wanted.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Nizrah said:

What do you think about Vandus Hammerhand? He hit like a truck but is squishy like duck... Do you ever used him?

Warscroll for referance:

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Downloads/Vandus_Hammerhand_CB_Web - cropped.pdf

I really feel that in order for Vandus to shine they will need to change the Stormhosts from being battalions to being a choice similar to what Idoneth or KO have. If you could run him as a Hammers of Sigmar general without the huge battlion tax, you could get both his awesome command ability and passive battleshock immunity bubble.

I tried Vandus once as a second "general" with a LC on foot and onsumate commander to buff some Retributors, was cool, but i lost anyway :S

Would like to try the two with a Vanguard Wing!

btw: Can i see the winning Vanguard Wing List from the SCGT somewhere? And what is the "common Vanguardwinglist" right now?

4 hours ago, PJetski said:

I think it's fair to assume that Staunch Defender will not be returning in it's current form (if at all)

I fear the same thing, but with the Leviadon ability being practically a much larger copy of it I'm a little more hopeful it will remain. I don't want it to go because it's incredibly useful, but at the same time I would really like to actually have a choice when it comes to picking a command trait ?

3 hours ago, Freejack02 said:

I fear the same thing, but with the Leviadon ability being practically a much larger copy of it I'm a little more hopeful it will remain. I don't want it to go because it's incredibly useful, but at the same time I would really like to actually have a choice when it comes to picking a command trait ?

Best case scenario would be to see it become an intrinsic ability for some stormcast units (let's say, melee infantry only). Second best would probably be if it became a command ability shared by all Stormcast heroes. I do agree it's very useful, and also fits the theme of the army quite well.

8 minutes ago, PJetski said:

With Soul Wars officially announced we should make a new thread

There's a sticky at the top of this forum discussing this, I think voting is still open but it was quite one sided in favour of new threads last I saw.

Would the protectors Storm Shield stack with Look out Sir?  If so that's a -2 to hit with ranged attacks.   That could be a game changer.    Makes bringing a loremaster ally even better since they can re-roll failed saves during shooting.  

Hi everyone,

So with AoS2 looming on the horizon, I want to get into AoS and because of that I've bought the starter set that has SEC and BoK (with Lord Celestant and Mighty Lord of Khorne) in it. My rough estimates put the SEC force somewhere around 700-800 points. I'd like to round it out to 1000-1250 points (as those are the point limits for my local tourneys).

Now my questions are:
- is it worth to get the  Thunder & Blood box, to round out the troops?
- what is the base unit size for Retributors? Their Warscroll says 3, but in their Battletome it's 5 I think?

To round out the starter set, I bought a box of easy to build Retributors to make a unit of 5 and a box of Vanguard Raptors because they look cool. That makes spot on 1k if I remember right.

Then you have Aetherwings ready once you go beyond 1k and need more Battleline (eg: Liberators or Judicators). Other way is to buy a Start Collecting box which I think also rounds out the 1k and a little more. 

• RuneBrush changed the title to Let's chat Stormcast Eternals

I'd go for the start collecting box - 2 Retributors to make your unit up to 5, javelin Prosecutors, and enough grand weapons to fill out your starter box Liberators (and Prosecutors with a little conversion).

EDIT

Points wise currently you'd be looking at...

Lord Celestant on Dracoth (stick a spare shield on him for thundershield action!) - 220

Lord Celestant - 100

Lord Relictor - 80

5 Liberators, 1 grandweapon - 100

3 Prosecutors, 1 grandweapon - 100

3 Prosecutors w/Javelins, 1 trident - 100

5 Retributors - 220

Total - 1120

54 minutes ago, AdamR said:

I'd go for the start collecting box - 2 Retributors to make your unit up to 5, javelin Prosecutors, and enough grand weapons to fill out your starter box Liberators (and Prosecutors with a little conversion).

Plus the Lord Celestant on foot is going to be a Retributor's best friend come second edition when he doesn't need to be the general for that tasty +1 to hit buff...

Vanger, Retributors are really confusing. Although the warscroll says 3 or more, in match play points you pay for units of 5. So since you mention bringing the army up to a match play point total of 1000ish, I'd suggest buying the small box of Retributors, I believe it's called Easy to Build: Retributors, so you aren't shorting yourself 2 models.

After that I'd highly suggest a Knight-Heraldor, it is rare to find a list that doesn't include him because his buff allowing you to run and charge really helps fight the slow movement of the Stormcast, and his AoE mortal wounds is too good to pass up. The same buff allows retreating and charging which can benefit your Lord Celestant on Dracoth from the starter kit.

That would take you to 940pts. in the current system. 

After that, I'd suggest a box of Judicators. They are a really strong unit, Battleline if you are SCE allegiance. I typically use them to hold back end objectives since their range is typically good enough to contribute even when in my back field. Make them with bows is my suggestion, although the box comes with enough you could make a unit of both types.

Lord Castellant is also a really strong hero, his buff giving a +1 save with healing is really good, and his combat profile is decent.  His kit also comes with a gryph-hound which can make a good addition especially against armies that like to flank by deploying later in the game. Please note, you have to pay the points for the gryph-hound separately from the Lord Castellant.

This will easily put you in a 1000pts. - 1250pts. range with some options at minimal investment.

If you have a little more in your budget, they just released Steelheart's Champions at a reduced price which would get you the upgraded weapons for your Liberators for less then a full box of Liberators. While it's an upgrade it isn't as big as the options above.

20 hours ago, Draviticus said:

Vanger, Retributors are really confusing. Although the warscroll says 3 or more, in match play points you pay for units of 5. So since you mention bringing the army up to a match play point total of 1000ish, I'd suggest buying the small box of Retributors, I believe it's called Easy to Build: Retributors, so you aren't shorting yourself 2 models.

After that I'd highly suggest a Knight-Heraldor, it is rare to find a list that doesn't include him because his buff allowing you to run and charge really helps fight the slow movement of the Stormcast, and his AoE mortal wounds is too good to pass up. The same buff allows retreating and charging which can benefit your Lord Celestant on Dracoth from the starter kit.

That would take you to 940pts. in the current system. 

After that, I'd suggest a box of Judicators. They are a really strong unit, Battleline if you are SCE allegiance. I typically use them to hold back end objectives since their range is typically good enough to contribute even when in my back field. Make them with bows is my suggestion, although the box comes with enough you could make a unit of both types.

Lord Castellant is also a really strong hero, his buff giving a +1 save with healing is really good, and his combat profile is decent.  His kit also comes with a gryph-hound which can make a good addition especially against armies that like to flank by deploying later in the game. Please note, you have to pay the points for the gryph-hound separately from the Lord Castellant.

This will easily put you in a 1000pts. - 1250pts. range with some options at minimal investment.

If you have a little more in your budget, they just released Steelheart's Champions at a reduced price which would get you the upgraded weapons for your Liberators for less then a full box of Liberators. While it's an upgrade it isn't as big as the options above.

Thank you for your in-depth reply! It helped a lot.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/06/06/faction-focus-stormcast-eternals-part-2gw-homepage-post-3/

3 new units! 

Evocators are essentially a new variant of Paladin - same statline, similar attacks, spells instead of the special abilities. 

Ballista is a solid artillery unit, d6 hits per hit (like the amazing Shockbolt bow on Judicators) is always a good rule, and means I'm gonna be buying a Lord-Ordinator to go with mine. 

Sequitors are the business. 1 in 3 get the weapon upgrade (Liberators are 1 in 5 for comparison) and the champion gets one for free. For a Battleline unit, that's a lot of punchy and can still take hits on the 4+ RR1s shields.

Between this and the Incator, glad I'm getting 2 SCE sides of the starter set.

I'll eventually get the new set if my son really gets into the models I've ordered him.

Love the idea of the Ballista and the Ordinator and have been recommended to take him in a mixed order list. However now the command abilities can be used for all heroes, he becomes far more viable alongside a ballista or two and bolt throwers! 

28 minutes ago, Requizen said:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/06/06/faction-focus-stormcast-eternals-part-2gw-homepage-post-3/

3 new units! 

Evocators are essentially a new variant of Paladin - same statline, similar attacks, spells instead of the special abilities. 

Ballista is a solid artillery unit, d6 hits per hit (like the amazing Shockbolt bow on Judicators) is always a good rule, and means I'm gonna be buying a Lord-Ordinator to go with mine. 

Sequitors are the business. 1 in 3 get the weapon upgrade (Liberators are 1 in 5 for comparison) and the champion gets one for free. For a Battleline unit, that's a lot of punchy and can still take hits on the 4+ RR1s shields.

Between this and the Incator, glad I'm getting 2 SCE sides of the starter set.

Evocators sound really nice, versatile (tough against shooting, mortal wounds potential in cc, ability to buff -reroll wounds on Hurricane Raptors could be murderous!).

Sequitors are Liberators+1, barring high cost (at 120 they would still be no brainer) or conditional battleline.

The Ballista is slightly better than 5 Judicators at 18 and 50% as effective at longer range (with 12 extra inches over them). At less than 160 it seems solid. That doesn't account for the potential Ordinator synergy!

I like what I see, powerful yet reasonable.

2 minutes ago, DanielFM said:

Evocators sound really nice, versatile (tough against shooting, mortal wounds potential in cc, ability to buff -reroll wounds on Hurricane Raptors could be murderous!).

Sequitors are Liberators+1, barring high cost (at 120 they would still be no brainer) or conditional battleline.

The Ballista is slightly better than 5 Judicators at 18 and 50% as effective at longer range (with 12 extra inches over them). At less than 160 it seems solid. That doesn't account for the potential Ordinator synergy!

I like what I see, powerful yet reasonable.

Evocators can only buff Sacrosanct or Redeemer units, which is only new stuff or Liberators. Sadly not for Hurricanes.

A bit of a bummer that the Sacrosant don't seem to mesh completely with old SCE. Evocators spell only affecting Liberators could be a sign that it will be more stuff that has keyword barriers. Like command abillitys that only affect Sacrosant units and so on. 

Sacrosant Chamber seems to be more of a new and separate army then Vanguard Chamber was.

Hope I'm wrong though!

Cool stuff, although I really wish the stormcast (all of them) tended to buff across chambers (vanguard only buff vanguard, sacrosanct only sacrosanct)..

That and I'm not feeling the design of the ballista, so common looking.  

2 minutes ago, Snoe said:

A bit of a bummer that the Sacrosant don't seem to mesh completely with old SCE. Evocators spell only affecting Liberators could be a sign that it will be more stuff that has keyword barriers. Like command abillitys that only affect Sacrosant units and so on. 

I think in the end there will be some units that work all around (Like Vanguard Raptors do currently) and some that will only work in a monokeyword army.

Eh, you can make armies out of building blocks too. Castellant + Celestant + Libs for frontline, Ordinator + Ballistas for range, Aquilor teleporting Vanguard around for flanking. Not every unit in the army has to directly buff/impact every other unit.

Archived