Let's chat Stormcast Eternals

Requizen

Have you gotten to try Storm Heralds yet? I only have some Prosecutors for it atm, but I totally want to hear experiences of people teleporting up a Stardrake on Turn 1 :) Add in Shielded by Faith and one of the Armours and you have yourself the most potent SURPRISE DRAGON in the game!

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Requizen said:

Have you gotten to try Storm Heralds yet? I only have some Prosecutors for it atm, but I totally want to hear experiences of people teleporting up a Stardrake on Turn 1 :) Add in Shielded by Faith and one of the Armours and you have yourself the most potent SURPRISE DRAGON in the game!

I have not got the models for it yet!

I've a few lists to try. I've heard whispers that they're decent even outside of battalions that accomodate them.

From what I understand, a few of the new items (armour of destiny, mirror shield) and traits (staunch defenders) and such make the stardrakes much more moreish.

One must always run your dragon with the castellant lantern though, to regen.

They are still a bit (ha!) expensive mind you.

Have to say I've had nothing but success with a luckstone Venator. I'm fairly lucky with him but find his movement to get angles and range really makes him worthwhile. But i play a hyper aggressive Celestial Vindicators list so my opponent generally has Paladins in their face to deal with.

Played at Tomorrow Burns at the weekend and the Venator with his SFA managed 9 wounds on a thundertusk,  9 wounds on a mawcrusha, 6 wounds on a VerminLord then soloed a Reclitor and a Branchwych. Then chipping away in conjunction with the Judicators at targets that weren't getting star souled.

Hey guys, trying to figure out a list that would be fun to play but also not a complete non-starter for tournaments.
I love using battalion formations and was pumped to be able to fit two into this list.  The rank & file stuff is pretty set due to battalion requirements, but the heroes can still be fiddled with.
Any obvious weak points I'm missing?  Does it look strong enough to not get tabled every game in tournament play?
————————————
Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals

Leaders
Knight Azyros (80)
Knight Venator (120)
- Artefact: Luckstone  
Lord Castellant (100)
- General
- Trait: Staunch Defender - Stormcast Eternals
- Artefact: Armor of Silvered Sigmarite  
- Mystic Light: Lantern of the Tempest
Lord Relictor (80)
- Prayer: Bless Weapons

Battleline
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bow
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bow
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers

Units
3 x Aetherwings (60)
3 x Aetherwings (60)
5 x Paladin Retributors (220)
- 2x Starsoul Mace
5 x Paladin Retributors (220)
- 2x Starsoul Mace
3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (180)
3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (180)
3 x Prosecutors with Stormcall Javelins(80)
- 1x Stormsurge Trident

Battalions
Aetherstrike Force (80)
Hammerstrike Force (120)

Total: 2000/2000

I love the look of this. It has almost all of the units I want to try out when I build my Stormcast (which are up next) that I was struggling to make into a cohesive list. I'd be very interested to know how this performs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Requizen said:

It's actually a huge deal. He has the longest threat range of any of our units that start on the table (not counting using Lightning Chariot/Pennant). 

If you're playing heavy Null Deploy or Alpha Strike, something like Skyborne Slayers, Hammerstrike, or even just if you like starting lots of units in Scions of the Storm, having something that can reach out and touch 42" on turn one is a big deal. A lot of my Slayers games consist of my opponents huddling in a corner or just lined up on their deployment line, refusing to come out until my dudes come down. Melee units will take time running across the table, and even Judicators/Longstrikes may be out of range or end up without a target if they camp the backfield, but the Venator will almost always have something to shoot at/interact with on every turn of the game. 

Aetherwing intrigues me as well. I worry about there not being enough frontline to stop aggro lists from reaching your weak shooting units, would probably need to stock up on Liberators/Hunters to slow things down, but I think overall it's quite a powerful option. It's my next list to work on, once I finish painting what I have and get irl stuff sorted out.

Maybe you're starting to convince me that he's not as bad as I make him out to be. Having said that I think he's the only stormcast hero that doesnt give off any abilties or synergies for the rest of the army, he's just a stand alone sniper. 

1 minute ago, Olincay said:

Maybe you're starting to convince me that he's not as bad as I make him out to be. Having said that I think he's the only stormcast hero that doesnt give off any abilties or synergies for the rest of the army, he's just a stand alone sniper. 

The same coin but the other side. He's the only Stormcast hero who doesn't have to be near other units to be fully useful.

Quick question, and I apologize if this was discussed elsewhere- but why the auto-pick of Castellant with Staunch Defender over a Celestant? It seems to me you get the benefit of the Celestant's general ability plus the Staunch Defender (+1 to hit AND saves with the Celestant on foot).  Why lose the + to hit?

19 minutes ago, TremaPDX said:

Quick question, and I apologize if this was discussed elsewhere- but why the auto-pick of Castellant with Staunch Defender over a Celestant? It seems to me you get the benefit of the Celestant's general ability plus the Staunch Defender (+1 to hit AND saves with the Celestant on foot).  Why lose the + to hit?

Probably since any unit he hangs out with is guaranteed to have a 2+. If you're using him for an anchor point and don't rely on the killy-ness, the Castellant is better. Plus, he himself is a smidge better since he has the extra wound and Damage 2 on his weapon, though he does miss out on the Hammer shooting. Both are good choices - one is more defensive, one more offensive. In the above list, I think the Castellant is around to keep units safer.

10 minutes ago, Requizen said:

Probably since any unit he hangs out with is guaranteed to have a 2+. If you're using him for an anchor point and don't rely on the killy-ness, the Castellant is better. Plus, he himself is a smidge better since he has the extra wound and Damage 2 on his weapon, though he does miss out on the Hammer shooting. Both are good choices - one is more defensive, one more offensive. In the above list, I think the Castellant is around to keep units safer.

My question is, why not both? :)

My question is, why not both? [emoji4]

I wondered about a Celestant as general with Staunch defender accompanied by a celestant, but then it's a lot of points that needs to stick together (including the units getting buffed)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My own feeling with staunch defenders and the lantern +1 save is that you want as many wounds per model as possible on the recipient unit to make the most of the 5s and 6s regenerating wounds.

2 wound infantry - there's going to be a better choice 99% of the time.

3 wound infantry - see above but maybe 75% of the time.

5 wound (that's almost all SCE heroes on foot and with wings and also dracothian guard etc)- still too few (I feel) but we're into where I think the ability starts to do real work. <-The Lord Celestant on Foot is here.

6 - the castellant using it on himself - is nice. As soon as there's d6 mws (thundertusks or dragons or chaosy- skaveny cannons) on the board it gets sweaty. He is also the source so is the 'focus' of aggression from smart SCE opponents. I like him out of range mostly.

7 - LCoD - This is a good choice but is also the focus of a lot of aggression

16 - LCoSD and Templars. Best choice. Of course. Best return for the lantern's investment.

And this is where I am at with my tourney list right now, making the LCoSD the focus of attacks and letting my other units do their work. A 1+ save (5s and 6s regenerating a wound) rerolling 1s with rerolls dealing mortals is interesting.

He's not immortal but I have anecdotal evidence of playing an LCoSD pre-staunch defenders (without castellant then too) and post-staunch defenders (with a castellant) and the big guy can tank so much more damage.

I actually think 2 castellants and a LCoSD, whilst hefty points wise (800 haha) could be frightful.

1 hour ago, Ruben said:

So you're saying:

• Lord Celestant on Stardrake (600)
  • Lord Castellant (100)
  • Lord Castellant (100)
  • 5x Liberators (100)
  • 5x Liberators (100)

Is a good idea? Hmm.

At 1000? I don't think it'd work.

At 2000? Could be interesting with some other tools. Awful against some matchups, great against others.

Great points, all. I do see that with the Celestant on foot & Castellant, there are a lot of moving parts.  Especially when I start thinking about adding Protectors and Thunderhead Brotherhood liberators/judicatory to set up a wall of defense/offense. I want to use a Celestant-Prime, and try to get him buffed with +1 to hit and save before launching him into to stuff mid-game. 

I need to set these guys up physically on the table and see how they fit and how I can move them. 

Newbie here, been playing sigmar for almost a year, looking at getting a stardrake, just to throw in and out of my list, any pros and cons to getting him? does anyone else run him? Currently running this at the moment if anyones interested in my 2000 pts

Lord Veritant (120)
Lord Relictor (80)
Lord Celestant On Dracoth (220)
- Tempestos Hammer & Thundershield
Celestant-Prime (360)
Units
5 x Vanguard-Hunters (140)
3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (180)
5 x Paladin Retributors (220)
- 2 x Starsoul Mace
10 x Liberators (200)
- Warhammers
10 x Liberators (200)
- Warhammers
5 x Paladin Retributors (220)
- 2 x Starsoul Mace
3 x Aetherwings (60)
Total: 2000/2000

Cheers!

Hi, new player here, Any advice to make 1000p list which include Lord-Aquilor, Palladors, Aetherwings and Celestant-Prime? Those are my favorite models from SCE. Prime might be better to drop in 1000p tho. I have only SCE from starter set + 10 liberators right now.

Those are some expensive units to fit into 1000 points. Probably drop the Prime, though he can be fun. Him or the Aquilor, not both at 100.

Aquilor
Palladors
Aetherwings
Liberators (starter set)
Liberators (starter set)
Lord-Relictor (starter set)
Raptors with Longstrikes (since they're the same box as the Aetherwings)

940/1000

Will be the minimal amount of things to buy. If you want, you can make the Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows instead and then put in the starter set Prosecutors... but I think the Longstrikes are overall better so don't do that. Fill the remaining 60 with more Aetherwings or Gryph-Hounds, or change one of the Liberators into a unit of Judicators. Either way will require another purchase, though.

7 minutes ago, Requizen said:

Those are some expensive units to fit into 1000 points. Probably drop the Prime, though he can be fun. Him or the Aquilor, not both at 100.

Aquilor
Palladors
Aetherwings
Liberators (starter set)
Liberators (starter set)
Lord-Relictor (starter set)
Raptors with Longstrikes (since they're the same box as the Aetherwings)

940/1000

Will be the minimal amount of things to buy. If you want, you can make the Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows instead and then put in the starter set Prosecutors... but I think the Longstrikes are overall better so don't do that. Fill the remaining 60 with more Aetherwings or Gryph-Hounds, or change one of the Liberators into a unit of Judicators. Either way will require another purchase, though.

Forgot to mention that I dont have Relictor because my friend wanted to keep it :D. How about if I put Castellant in so I get Gryph-Hound from the same kit?

13 hours ago, Requizen said:

Aye very much this, I tried putting prime in a doubles game we played a few weeks ago and he just ate points, as fun as he is WHEN you get him up to a huge amount of attacks, 8 wounds really isn't that much when you can get a lot more for your points :) 

Since I got no answer there, I'm reposting this here:

So after having bought the last kits I need for my Ironjawz I thought I'd try a bit of the posterboys. Seeing as they have great potential for manneuver shenanigans, I'd like to try them, as they seem "cheap" too. Got three ideas:

Almost pure vanguard chamber A (1000pts on the dot).

Leaders: Lord Aquilor with obsidian blade on his sword, champion of the realms as trait for extra buffing of the blade. Aethereal stalker. 200pts

Lord Veritant with lightning chariot.

Battleline: 2 units of 5 hunters with stormsabres. 140pts each

Other:     3x vanguard palladors  220pts

3x vanguard raptors with the long-croswbows. 180pts

Almost pure vanguard chamber B (40pts away from objective... maybe a gryphound)

Leaaders: Lord Aquilor with obsidian blade on his sword, champion of the realms as trait for extra buffing of the blade. Aethereal stalker. 200pts

Lord Relictor with divine light. 80pts

Battleline: 2 units of 5 hunters. 140pts each.

Pure vanguard chamber.

Leaaders: Lord Aquilor with obsidian blade on his sword, champion of the realms as trait for extra buffing of the blade. Aethereal stalker. 200pts

Battleline: 2 units of 5 hunters. 140pts each.

3x aetherwings.   60pts

1x gryphound.     40pts

My basic idea is to spam the Aquilor's skill as much as possible, zip across the board and play with my opponent's ranges. Lord Veritant would provide support with his prayers, either for himself or other units that are stuck in. Lord Relictor would hang back with the crossbows and I think I'll attach a gryph hound to protect them properly. Let me ask something: when they say edge of the board, do they refer to "corners" or any limits (like a ring around the "inner board")

46 minutes ago, baymaks said:

Vanguard Hunters, unless I'm getting confused with the warscroll builder and they're only a battle line with Lord Aquilor?

Yeah, that's the case.

Liberators are always battleline. Judicators are battleline with Stormcast allegiance, Hunters are battleline with Stormcast allegiance and a Lord Aquilor general.

@KillagoreFaceslasha - edge of the board? As in for the astral compass rules? It means the actual board edges (2 long, 2 short).

As for the lists... number 3 I guess? I think a footslogging melee hero like the veritant will be tough to use in concert with the rest of the list, even with lightning chariot? And if you hold the Relictor back with the longstrikes you'll be missing out on his lightning storm, and as longstrikes have so few wounds, he'll not get much healing done.

I know the standard wisdom would seem to be a Knight Venator, but what about a Heraldor as a left field choice. His main ability works in the shooting phase, so scions of the storm him in and toot some mortal wounds at the enemy!

Archived