Let's chat Stormcast Eternals

Requizen

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as I can tell GW still fully supports Skyborne Slayers so there's no conflict.

The Raptors I'm bringing because a) they're awesome and b) I think sniping characters is important enough to warrant another shooting source. Plus, they're painted and Adepticon is this week haha

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Requizen said:

Alright, fudged the list a bit, not sure whether to put a Relictor or Azyros in. The Relictor seems overall better but the Azyros combos well with the shooting units I have. Thoughts from the group?

IMG_-z88u9k.jpg

+Relictor(Blessed Weapons)

+Castellant ( buff your 10 Libs or something else)

+5 Liberators ( so one unit with 10)

-Raptors

Think its more competetive list and much stronger. Raptors are very squishy the have 6 wounds and make average 4 wounds if youre lucky for 180 points. For that points you can get a relictor(5wounds) and 5 Libs (10Wounds).

After thinking about and testing some random stuff, I have come to a conclusion about the Battalions. My favourite one is definitely the Vanguard Wing. In fact, I might even go as far as to say that it is one of the better ones in the book.

15 Liberators with 3 Grandhammers, 3 units of 3 Prosecutors with Javelins, 5 Judicators with Bows and the Battalion tax comes at 800pts and gives you amazing flexibility. With 2-3 Prosecutors deployed with Scions is nearly a guaranteed reserve roll and thus the 15 dudes can easily teleport whereever. Add a Castellan with Tempest Lantern to make them extra tough. Bonus on hit rolls like Lay low the Tyrant and the Command Trait of the Lord Celestant allows them to trigger the double wound roll ability of the battalion way more often as well. They will tarpit most units and murder big ones. While Paladins of the Hammerstrike are probably more killy in a vacuum, the Vanguard Wing is more reliable with more bodies on the ground and more flexibility during the late game.

Another Battalion I have grown quite fond of is the Vanguard Angelos Conclave. the double shooting of the Hunters is not to be underestimated, especially if they can run 2D6 beforehand. Add the Palladors as effective objective snatchers and you have a solid core to either add staying power of more alpha strike-y goodness.

The reason I enjoy those two Battalions so much is that they largely cover your Battleline units and give you loads of reliability in a game with random dice rolls. I have come to build lists around those two way more often than around the Hammerstrike, to be fair.

Just some food for thought.

19 hours ago, Immersturm said:

Another Battalion I have grown quite fond of is the Vanguard Angelos Conclave. the double shooting of the Hunters is not to be underestimated, especially if they can run 2D6 beforehand. Add the Palladors as effective objective snatchers and you have a solid core to either add staying power of more alpha strike-y goodness.

How are you able to run before you do the double shot?  It can only be done on the turn all 3 units arrive, and arriving from pursuit counts as the movement for the turn.

2 hours ago, Olincay said:

Out of curiosity, how are people finding the Vanguard Hunters? Initially I was sceptical on their usefulness but I may be reconsidering.
Anyway fill me in on how every finds them.

I have found them to be very useful.  I run a unit of six and park a Relictor nearby for Bless Weapon goodness and a Lord Aquilor to port them out of any potentially hairy situations.

Its a big investment, but they really do delete heroes and monsters.

Hi! Sooo as a non stormcast player i was just wondering why is there so much hate for the stormhost battalions? Im a beastclaw player and im still able to run an Olwr alfrostun at 2000 pts? Is it just the points tax or is it something im missing?

Out of curiosity, how are people finding the Vanguard Hunters? Initially I was sceptical on their usefulness but I may be reconsidering.
Anyway fill me in on how every finds them.

I used them last week in a unit of 5. They didn't do much themselves, but they affected my oppents playstile in that he was reluctant to move up his army and leave his 3 warmachines undefended in his backfield. Gave me a lot of space to manoeuvre and grab objectives for 2 turns.
When they came on they clashed with 10 Longbeards and they pretty much took out each other.

Skickat från min SM-J510FN via Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Snoe said:

I used them last week in a unit of 5. They didn't do much themselves, but they affected my oppents playstile in that he was reluctant to move up his army and leave his 3 warmachines undefended in his backfield. Gave me a lot of space to manoeuvre and grab objectives for 2 turns.
When they came on they clashed with 10 Longbeards and they pretty much took out each other.

Skickat från min SM-J510FN via Tapatalk

Yea I dont really imagine them killing much, more messing with peoples heads to they deploy funny or castle up. I guess dependig on the new sce arios from GHB2 we will relly tell what they are capable of. 

I've put some in my list to replace 5 crossbow judicators. They're great objective grabbers, but I don't expect them to do too much against most things.

I am considering bulking them up to 10 - what's the consensus on that 2x5 or 1x10?

11 minutes ago, AdamR said:

I've put some in my list to replace 5 crossbow judicators. They're great objective grabbers, but I don't expect them to do too much against most things.

I am considering bulking them up to 10 - what's the consensus on that 2x5 or 1x10?

For me it would depend on whether I've an Aquilor general or not and no other Vanguard unit to relocate with his command ability. Relocating 10 is better than 5.

Most other stormcast units benefit from having their 1 in 5 specials on the prime so units of 5 are better. Not so with Vanguard Hunters, their prime's extra melee and ranged attack isn't that important I don't think.

Also buffs on the unit are better the larger it is. Stormcast don't often exploit this due to the primes and specials and low bravery.

When I come to try out Vanguard Hunters I would be tempted to get a relictor with bless weapons near them. They can shoot and melee equally well (or poorly depending on your view) which means you're getting bonus 6s in the shooting and combat phase if you move shoot and charge.

However, if you are using these to snatch objectives, more units of 5 are better than 1 of 10. You can choose to bring them on together or leave one on the sidelines.

Kind of interesting choices.

I'd probably opt for 2 x 5  but if I was rich and could face painting so many I might try  1 x 20 (then again the stress caused by 4 x 5 on the opponent is probably worth it).

With the new battletomb's options I find my fledgling stormcast force more appealing, especially the Vanguard chamber.

My current stormcast comprise primarily of the starter set half plus a few extra heroes. They are primed gold and spend most of their days in a box only to be pulled out for fun/teaching games so that my Chaos can beat on them while I slowly build up my duardin/fyreslayers on the side.

Seeing how my primary Order forces will comprised of .... lets just say "slower" individuals you can see how the Vanguard chamber really appeals to me as a way to mix things up a bit and add a fast element to the Order side of things.

I like to collect and build in reasonable chunks with an overall goal in mind, not just buying this and that and ending up with stuff ill rarely, if ever use.  With that in mind I've decided on what I think is a reasonable starting point with 120 points to play around with.

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals

Lord Aquilor (200)
- General
5 x Vanguard-Hunters (140)
3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (180)
3 x Vanguard-Palladors (220)

Total: 880/1000

What I'm having a hard time with is those last 120 points. I'm leaning towards the need for more bodies. Thinking 3 Prosecutors with Javelins and a gryph hound to babysit the Raptors or alternatively 6 Aetherwings. Each option smooths out the list to 1000 points.

Just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing anything obvious. Should I be looking at another character perhaps?

Appreciate any input 

Extra hero would be good - you still have to play 3 places of power at 1000 points!

Maybe a Knight Venator? Fit's in well with the speediness of the rest of your list, will add even more shooting, and take you to a round 1000.

6 minutes ago, AdamR said:

Extra hero would be good - you still have to play 3 places of power at 1000 points!

Maybe a Knight Venator? Fit's in well with the speediness of the rest of your list, will add even more shooting, and take you to a round 1000.

Seconded for a venator. Gives you that long range sniping option vs. monsters and heroes with the star fated arrow, and 10" move with 30" shooting range is nothing to scoff at either!

1 hour ago, Slave2Chaos said:

With the new battletomb's options I find my fledgling stormcast force more appealing, especially the Vanguard chamber.

My current stormcast comprise primarily of the starter set half plus a few extra heroes. They are primed gold and spend most of their days in a box only to be pulled out for fun/teaching games so that my Chaos can beat on them while I slowly build up my duardin/fyreslayers on the side.

Seeing how my primary Order forces will comprised of .... lets just say "slower" individuals you can see how the Vanguard chamber really appeals to me as a way to mix things up a bit and add a fast element to the Order side of things.

I like to collect and build in reasonable chunks with an overall goal in mind, not just buying this and that and ending up with stuff ill rarely, if ever use.  With that in mind I've decided on what I think is a reasonable starting point with 120 points to play around with.

Lord Aquilor (200)
- General
3 x Vanguard-Palladors (220)

Total: 880/1000

What I'm having a hard time with is those last 120 points. I'm leaning towards the need for more bodies. Thinking 3 Prosecutors with Javelins and a gryph hound to babysit the Raptors or alternatively 6 Aetherwings. Each option smooths out the list to 1000 points.

Just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing anything obvious. Should I be looking at another character perhaps?

Appreciate any input 

Don't listen to all these whispering voices saying 'Venator, Venator, Venator'.

The best thing you can do is take Raptors with Crossbows (160) giving you 140 pts spare.

Then take 3x Aetherwings to do some charge blockage on the hurricanos. 80 left.

Add in a relictor - star player of the SC force - at 80. Take either Blessed Weapons (hurricanes) or Lightning Chariot. Test each.

Or you can take a relictor and gryph hound.

I recommend a relictor though.

The problem with a Relictor in that list is his slowness!

The hurricanes don't want to move to maximise their shots, so typically you are wanting the enemy to come to you. But the rest of the list is very mobile, and lacks the bodies for this I think.

Obviously they can both be Scions of the Storm'd but then you're losing any buffs and extra shots for a turn. And if you don't kill whatever you dropped near, there could be a world of pain coming their way. Even if they deploy on a flank and get supported by the rest of the army's redeployment shenaingans, they are then stuck there. Lightning chariot can ameliorate this somewhat, but you'll need at least 2 turns to port both the relictor and the hurricanes (most likely 3).

TL:DR  - Relictors are great (I have one in most of my lists), but they don't fit in every list;)

23 minutes ago, AdamR said:

The problem with a Relictor in that list is his slowness!

The hurricanes don't want to move to maximise their shots, so typically you are wanting the enemy to come to you. But the rest of the list is very mobile, and lacks the bodies for this I think.

Obviously they can both be Scions of the Storm'd but then you're losing any buffs and extra shots for a turn. And if you don't kill whatever you dropped near, there could be a world of pain coming their way. Even if they deploy on a flank and get supported by the rest of the army's redeployment shenaingans, they are then stuck there. Lightning chariot can ameliorate this somewhat, but you'll need at least 2 turns to port both the relictor and the hurricanes (most likely 3).

TL:DR  - Relictors are great (I have one in most of my lists), but they don't fit in every list;)

I was thinking the relictor only needs to lightning chariot himself in emergencies, the hurricanes get moved by the aquilor.

You are however almost always sacrificing blessed weapons and the non-move shot bonus - realistically. The enemy would be on you quick enough.

The other star at 80 pts can perhaps fit into this list better: the Azyros! Reroll those ranged rolls of 1.

Sooo... keep original list and take a gryph hound and Azyros and try it out!

I think an Azyros in that list would work well if you took Order Allegiance rather than Stormcast, and give him a relic blade to double his damage output.

It's not like the rest of the list needs to use scions - the only other thing it would miss out on would be a trait for a gryph charger.

Hey guys, trying to figure out a list that would be fun to play but also not a complete non-starter for tournaments.

I love using battalion formations and was pumped to be able to fit two into this list.  The rank & file stuff is pretty set due to battalion requirements, but the heroes can still be fiddled with.

Any obvious weak points I'm missing?  Does it look strong enough to not get tabled every game in tournament play?

————————————

Leaders
Knight Azyros (80)
Knight Venator (120)
- Artefact: Luckstone  
Lord Castellant (100)
- General
- Trait: Staunch Defender - Stormcast Eternals
- Artefact: Armor of Silvered Sigmarite  
- Mystic Light: Lantern of the Tempest
Lord Relictor (80)
- Prayer: Bless Weapons

Battleline
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bow
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bow
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers

Units
3 x Aetherwings (60)
3 x Aetherwings (60)
5 x Paladin Retributors (220)
- 2x Starsoul Mace
5 x Paladin Retributors (220)
- 2x Starsoul Mace
3 x Prosecutors with Stormcall Javelins(80)
- 1x Stormsurge Trident

Battalions
Aetherstrike Force (80)
Hammerstrike Force (120)

Total: 2000/2000

I love the idea of aether and hammerstrike forces.

Some notes - You can't take 2x artefacts on the castellant. I would take lantern of the tempest or mirrorshield (mirrorshields for days at the moment).

I also don't rate bless weapons on the relictor without a big ranged unit and when paladins are x5 and going to land far away.

Lightning chariot would be better for some movement shenanigans.

I am not a fan of the venator but he's in the formation, however I am especially not a fan of the venator with luckstone (super all in for a 1 time shot imo). ANOTHER mirrorshield is best. On the azyros perhaps.

Archived