Let's chat Stormcast Eternals

Requizen

i really like longstrikes particularly over their hurricane counterparts which i think are beyond sub-par!

They work best in an aetherstrike force (i have a unit of 12!). Jury is currently out on what if any price decrease they may have. I'm hoping for a small decrease as its currently looking like 3 of the ballista and an ordinator with a hurricanum as allies will serve a more complete purpose without needing to build around an aetherstrike force.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, DanielFM said:

But is that healing or resurrecting? If it's healing, that's weaksauce. We already have Relictors to heal 1d3 with prayers. 

With only 1 spell per turn and just the 2 basic (nerfed) ones plus the healing, it better (the latter) be something special.

Calm yourself.  All wizards get access to Realm spells too, so a lackluster "unique" spell is hardly cause for alarm

4 hours ago, syph0n said:

1) Star Mace for the Retributor - modelling ideas for this one? Could be beyond AoS I guess in terms of bits.

I trimmed two of my hammers down to be more mace like (cut) and painted them blue.  

Torn on the lord Arcanum.  The flasks damage your units as well.  The Cycle of the storm may make him worth depending on your army makeup.  Could be a good way to keep the Celestant Prime alive longer. 

11 minutes ago, Bradipo322 said:

castigators.png.82ac03efe130ae6f1f94785842f54bd3.png

(from the new video tutorial from GW)

Now I understand why Castigators are so much cheaper than Judicators. They are worse than them! They get more rend (or rerolls ones, which Judicators already have against chaos) but with less range, a situational rule and no special weapon (for now).

Pretty underwhelming.

The Lord Arcanum is neither something to write home about.

25 minutes ago, Bradipo322 said:

castigators.png.82ac03efe130ae6f1f94785842f54bd3.png

(from the new video tutorial from GW)

It says something that the most interesting part to me is the 2 attacks in CC. They're okay, a block of ten would be decent and hopefully they'll be a special weapon choice forthcoming. Being able to get -2 rend is helpful as well, so it has something our other ranged troops don't.

Crunched the numbers and contents a bit, based on the newest leak of unit sizes and points... 

If you get two SCE halves of the starter box, this is what you get:

Lord Arcanum

Lord Arcanum

Knight-Incantor

Knight-Incantor

3* Evocators with: Prime

6* Castigators with: Prime

3* Castigators with: Prime

6 * Sequitors with: Prime/greatmace, 2* greatmace, 3* shields

6* Sequitors with: Prime/greatmace, 2* greatmace, 3* shield

3* Sequitors with: Prime/shield, 2* shield (This unit is bad haha)

Celestar Ballista

Celestar Ballista

Total cost: 1920 points

Leftover models: 1* Castigator, 1* Sequitor Prime/shield

If you drop the bad Sequitor unit, it's 1840 points, and you have those additional 3 Sequitors with shields (one a Prime) left over.

1 hour ago, Erdemo86 said:

Lord arcanum seems very good. His cycle of storm is once per turn, so once in your turn and once in your opponents. Stardrake best friend. Also stardrake gives +1 to casting. So 7+ heal d6 and 9+ d6 mw.

Very good with certain units agreed

Lord Arcanum seems amazing! Super Arcane Bolt, deny death on a model, auto MWs (and the mount has a good chance for MWs too), healing, high speed... he seems to have a lot going for him! His melee profile isn't even that bad either. He seems like a real variable threat that also supports the army, maybe won't run two in a force, but definitely will run at least one a lot of times.

1 hour ago, amysrevenge said:

Crunched the numbers and contents a bit, based on the newest leak of unit sizes and points... 

If you get two SCE halves of the starter box, this is what you get:

Lord Arcanum

Lord Arcanum

Knight-Incantor

Knight-Incantor

6* Castigators with: Prime

3* Castigators with: Prime

6 * Sequitors with: Prime/greatmace, 2* greatmace, 3* shields

6* Sequitors with: Prime/greatmace, 2* greatmace, 3* shield

3* Sequitors with: Prime/shield, 2* shield (This unit is bad haha)

Celestar Ballista

Celestar Ballista

Total cost: 1920 points

Leftover models: 1* Castigator, 1* Sequitor Prime/shield

If you drop the bad Sequitor unit, it's 1840 points, and you have those additional 3 Sequitors with shields (one a Prime) left over.

the points that come with the box appear to be temporary. The Nighthaunt table from the GHB leaked and doesn't match the points in the box,

3 hours ago, The Wanderer said:

It says something that the most interesting part to me is the 2 attacks in CC. They're okay, a block of ten would be decent and hopefully they'll be a special weapon choice forthcoming. Being able to get -2 rend is helpful as well, so it has something our other ranged troops don't.

What feels off is not the balance between them and Judicators (being cheaper than the latter means they must be weaker), but that the new, super specialized half-mage crystalline bomb-shooting guys are the cheap, weaker option and the regular bozos with run-of-the-mill bows shooting arrows are stronger but more elite (more expensive). I expected something more flashy than what we got.

A special weapon for Castigators could sort it out a bit, meanwhile I 'm not feeling them.

Just watched the battle report from guerilla miniature gaming channel, with points from new handbook applied. The players said that the celestar ballista costs 100pts, which is 20pts cheaper than that of starter set profile.

The report also claimed that sequitors cost 20pts more than liberators. I suppose that means basic squad of sequitors(taken in five) is 120pts, although they did not elaborate any further.

Castigators were taken in a squad of three.

Apart from that, BoLS also uploaded a short video on the new handbook. From what I saw, most of the battalions became cheaper. There were at least two new battalions, presumably using Sacrosanct models.

There were three unique endless spells for SCE, ranging from 40 to 100pts. 

Palladors, vanguard hunters, hurricane crossbow vanguard raptor became 20pts cheaper. Aetherwings became 10pts cheaper.

So I've been thinking about the order of operations for Cycle of the Storm and wanted to run it by you guys to see what you think.

Example:

3 damage to a unit of Sequitors.

Allocate wound 1 to first sequitur, nothing happens.

Allocate wound two to the same sequitor, he is slain.

I use Cycle of the Storm, bringing him back with 1 wound.  

Allocate wound 3 to that just revived sequitor, he is slain again.

Same thing for characters.  Basically I want to know what happens to excess wounds.

12 hours ago, Richelieu said:

So I've been thinking about the order of operations for Cycle of the Storm and wanted to run it by you guys to see what you think.

Example:

3 damage to a unit of Sequitors.

Allocate wound 1 to first sequitur, nothing happens.

Allocate wound two to the same sequitor, he is slain.

I use Cycle of the Storm, bringing him back with 1 wound.  

Allocate wound 3 to that just revived sequitor, he is slain again.

Same thing for characters.  Basically I want to know what happens to excess wounds.

That is correct. The excess wounds wouldn't be lost as you allocate one at a time and keep allocating until there are no more wounds or no more models in the unit.

Only, like, morathi has an invulnerability or limit in that sense so far (afaik). And it should be very, very rare I feel.'

/Edit - Rereading the rule - I am part wrong. It says slain. Nothing to do with wounds allocated. However with the example given, when slain the excess wounds fall back onto the same model in the same unit.

TL;DR This model is badass when he uses that ability on heroes. Not so much on units.

I would assume it's more for single models remaining/Heroes. You allocate all wounds, they overkill the Hero, then you "rez it" after wounds have been allocated.  Or at least, that's how I'm assuming it works, otherwise it's only useful if you kill it exactly.

I bring you points!

Between Discord and the SCE FB group we've been piecing together stuff from blurry screenshots. Here's the new/changed stuff we've been able to put together:

Palladors - 200 
Hunters - 120
Raptors with HC - 140
Aetherwings - 50
Relictor 100
Azyros 100
Sequitors 5/120
Castigators 3/80
Heraldor 100
Concussors 260
Vexillor 120
Evocators 5/200
Drakesworn Templar 460
Ballista 100
Incantor 140
Lord Arcanum on Gryph-Charger: 240

Starter is ~980 points, but with three under strength units.

Archived