Let's chat Stormcast Eternals

Requizen

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, mmmbbb3 said:

I think the lord-Veritant will see a lot more play now

I think so too. Especially if my group is interpreting the Warscroll correctly and you can get the Gryph-Hound for free now instead of through reinforcement points.

6 hours ago, mmmbbb3 said:

I think the lord-Veritant will see a lot more play now, and i can imagine people charging the poor Gryph-Hound into the purple sun

Why pay for the Veritant when we get wizards that not only unbind but also cast? If the Incantor is not over 120 points, I think the Veritant is dead.

3 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

I think that there will be many changes in SCE: in a business point of view, the new SCE is a big guy in AoS sales, along with Nighhaunt. They have to boost the sales of those ones.

In a game point of view, there are too many changes not to rewrite (at least partially) the SCE battletome and add the new units, introduce the chambers and magic, rules, battailion, etc...

I fear GW will give the new Sacrosanct units cool rules and profiles and leave the previous units dull and more expensive. They are only interested in selling the new toys, we have already spent our money in the old ones.

3 hours ago, trarux said:

Is it to much to hope for a new Allegiance abilitie in the new BT for SE aswell ? 

Think they can give us somthinge more special the deep strike since all other teams got that now aswell :P

I wish we will! At least a tweaked, less random Scions, or something to complement it. Right now, it's so lackluster compared to the last 5 battletomes it may well not be there.

13 minutes ago, kuroyume said:

I think so too. Especially if my group is interpreting the Warscroll correctly and you can get the Gryph-Hound for free now instead of through reinforcement points.

Good point. If they don't change the warscroll, free Gryph-hound!

24 minutes ago, DanielFM said:

Why pay for the Veritant when we get wizards that not only unbind but also cast?

Because with good positioning he can unbind with a +3, which might give you a chance to unbind someone like Arkhan or a LoC

On 5/28/2018 at 7:48 AM, kozokus said:

Bravo for finding counter-arguments on some Primaris entries (not counting the recent Deathwatch, which just saved the whole primaris range from beeing useless)  ? But you forgot one thing : The Deathguard Codex !!!! where everything (except for the drone and the crawler) is bad at best.

Well I mean, except that Mortarion has been in and out of being a staple of Chaos lists (depending on whether the meta is focused on Superheavies or not), and Zombies were a gamebreaking meta list up until the big FAQ, and Nurgle Daemon Princes (while not DG specific) are just as popular as any other variety. I would also argue Blight Haulers are rules-wise one of the better models in recent times, but I could see that being debatable.

It's not a great stand-alone codex by any means, but I think it was always designed to be taken alongside CSM or Daemons, where it shines. I would argue it's far from bottom-of-the-barrel though. I might agree that some of the new models (new Plague Marines and Terminators mostly) are fairly underwhelming, but the vehicles and zombies are quite good. Dunno about HQs though.

I get where you're coming from, and yeah not everything can be top-tier, but I would say they've been batting above 50, which is a big change from 2-3 years ago (aka the dark days :P )

1 hour ago, ledha said:

Remenber the veritant is a priest, so he can cast something too !

Yep, a crappy anti-wizard prayer (far worse than a Relictor at damaging a wizard at range) and one from the list. But if you want prayers, why not bring a Relictor instead?

1 hour ago, kuroyume said:

Because with good positioning he can unbind with a +3, which might give you a chance to unbind someone like Arkhan or a LoC

For that, the Gryph-hound must reach the target and survive. It's quite a poor mechanism when it relies on a 3wounds no save model being at arms length of the enemy.

52 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

....and maybe also because it is a "free" anti-wizzy boy. I just read on another thread that the spells will cost some (many) points 20-40 points, that means magic is expensive. Veritant seems back to business then (hum....maybe)

Why free? He brings almost nothing besides the unbind. A Incantor brings a dispel, one spell each turn to choose between the (nerfed) default ones and her own (and maybe the Realm ones) and the auto-unbind and the suicide mortals bomb.

I can't see the competition besides (possibly) points.

Hoping the new book gives us options to take Stormhost specific rules, like Idoneth does with their different enclaves. I think this would be a logical evolution from the Stormhost chambers we have now which seem like a flawed execution of a good idea.

2 minutes ago, The Wanderer said:

Hoping the new book gives us options to take Stormhost specific rules, like Idoneth does with their different enclaves. I think this would be a logical evolution from the Stormhost chambers we have now which seem like a flawed execution of a good idea.

After KO, Daughters, and Deepkin all got those type of rules, I think it's fairly likely. 

20 minutes ago, DanielFM said:

For that, the Gryph-hound must reach the target and survive.

That's why Scions of the Storm exists. Drop your Veritant 9" away from the target wizard, drop the Gryph-Hound (who was not set up via Scions, and can thus move) nearby and move him into position, boom! dispel bonus. The Veritant is a pretty competent combatant, so you want him flanking enemy wizards anyways if you're running him.

44 minutes ago, kuroyume said:

That's why Scions of the Storm exists. Drop your Veritant 9" away from the target wizard, drop the Gryph-Hound (who was not set up via Scions, and can thus move) nearby and move him into position, boom! dispel bonus. The Veritant is a pretty competent combatant, so you want him flanking enemy wizards anyways if you're running him.

Not a bad strategy. Downsides? Unreliable (as any Scions-based tactic). A waste of the additional prayer (while he is out of the table). 

If Scions gets slightly more reliable in the new battletome I can see myself trying this :)

8 minutes ago, DanielFM said:

Unreliable (as any Scions-based tactic).

Oh, for sure. I've used it to decent success in Path to Glory at least. My local meta is very magic heavy, so he's done decent work for me.

2 hours ago, The Wanderer said:

Me too. I'm dying to use the Astral Templar battalion.

2 hours ago, kuroyume said:

That's why Scions of the Storm exists. Drop your Veritant 9" away from the target wizard, drop the Gryph-Hound (who was not set up via Scions, and can thus move) nearby and move him into position, boom! dispel bonus.

I never thought about this, that's awesome

1 hour ago, PJetski said:

I never thought about this, that's awesome

I think a lot of people underestimate Scions. I know I did at first. Now I start most games with an empty deploy. It really messes with people's head.

I think when they designed Scions they were thinking about people using the battalions to gain Lightning Strike... but I think there was some communication breakdown between the people writing battalions and the people writing the point costs.

56 minutes ago, kuroyume said:

I think a lot of people underestimate Scions. I know I did at first. Now I start most games with an empty deploy. It really messes with people's head.

I did the empty deployment once and it destroyed my game. Some bad rolls and the whole enemy army killed the few Stormcast arriving each turn piecemeal and didn't have to worry about the ones that never showed.

A single 5 guys Liberators unit in Scions, though, can be useful in any turn they arrive, and if they don't, that's only 100 lost points.

41 minutes ago, PJetski said:

I think when they designed Scions they were thinking about people using the battalions to gain Lightning Strike... but I think there was some communication breakdown between the people writing battalions and the people writing the point costs.

Yeah. That bonus should have been baked in elsewhere. Those battalions are so huge (let alone expensive) they can't be used in any games besides open, narrative or 2500-3000 matched games.

6 minutes ago, DanielFM said:

I did the empty deployment once and it destroyed my game. Some bad rolls and the whole enemy army killed the few Stormcast arriving each turn piecemeal and didn't have to worry about the ones that never showed.

That's certainly something that can happen, but I like to take risks (especially since I don't have a lot of favorable match ups in my local meta), and more often than not it has payed off.

21 hours ago, kuroyume said:

Soooo...
Can you please give us an example of your list you use with Scions?
From my experience it's mostly useless and does not give you advantage because of it's unreliability

1 hour ago, XReN said:

Can you please give us an example of your list you use with Scions?

I'm not really a tournament player, so I don't think my lists will do you any good. In general, I use it to drop on undefended objectives or to get units within range of interesting abilities. Also, combined with Hammerstrike Force, you can get two units of Paladins within a 3" charge if you get the roll for the Prosecutors in the battalion.

Archived