Let's chat Stormcast Eternals

Requizen

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Requizen said:

Alright guys, you can go ahead and be as pessimistic as you'd like. I have 100% confidence that they won't let their flagship army be garbage in the new edition that they're hyping lol, especially with all the new models they want to sell.

Games Workshop has a story of releasing new models with poor rules and expecting to sell them just through the rule of cool and shiny factor.

I wouldn't take that for granted.

15 minutes ago, DanielFM said:

Games Workshop has a story of releasing new models with poor rules and expecting to sell them just through the rule of cool and shiny factor.

Pray tell, which of the recent AoS releases have been bad and unsellable? 

20 minutes ago, DanielFM said:

Isn't this normally the opposite? New models thend to have stronger rules to help sell them, just look at idoneths.

29 minutes ago, Requizen said:

Pray tell, which of the recent AoS releases have been bad and unsellable? 

24 minutes ago, Bradipo322 said:

Isn't this normally the opposite? New models thend to have stronger rules to help sell them, just look at idoneths.

Vanguard Stormcast. Kharadron Overlords. Primaris Space Marines (in 40k). They were sold for the models, with totally underwhelming rules.  You have a few examples out there.

I mean, I sorta agree? But not really? Aquilor, Longstrikes, and Birds are good in Vanguard if for no other reason than Aetherstrike and shooting shenanigans, and Palladors have found themselves in plenty of lists as well. So basically only Hunters are considered "don't buy".

Overlords were 50/50. Big ship is good, balloon dudes are good, Battleline are good, Thunderers were good when they came out. So it was only the smaller boats and some of the characters that were bad? Ziflin is still a tournament list that spoils a lot of top armies (including Tzeentch depending on the build). 

Primaris is also iffy, but Hellblasters, Aggressors, Lieutenants, Captains, the Banner, and occasionally Intercessors and Inceptors all see play. The big boat and Rievers are pretty bad, but it's by and far not a garbage release. Pure Primaris isn't topping tables, but if you think the range is garbage you're empirically fairly wrong.

It's alright to have a pessimistic outlook, but the things they've released recently have been, on the whole, playable if not actually quite good. All the Maggotkin stuff was pretty good (maybe not the flying Blightlords?), all the Daughters were good as far as I've seen, and Deepkin have been started to be battletested as pretty good too depending on build. Why is it so unbelieveable that the new Stormcast will be good too?

8 hours ago, Requizen said:

I mean, I sorta agree? But not really? Aquilor, Longstrikes, and Birds are good in Vanguard if for no other reason than Aetherstrike and shooting shenanigans, and Palladors have found themselves in plenty of lists as well. So basically only Hunters are considered "don't buy".

Overlords were 50/50. Big ship is good, balloon dudes are good, Battleline are good, Thunderers were good when they came out. So it was only the smaller boats and some of the characters that were bad? Ziflin is still a tournament list that spoils a lot of top armies (including Tzeentch depending on the build). 

Primaris is also iffy, but Hellblasters, Aggressors, Lieutenants, Captains, the Banner, and occasionally Intercessors and Inceptors all see play. The big boat and Rievers are pretty bad, but it's by and far not a garbage release. Pure Primaris isn't topping tables, but if you think the range is garbage you're empirically fairly wrong.

It's alright to have a pessimistic outlook, but the things they've released recently have been, on the whole, playable if not actually quite good. All the Maggotkin stuff was pretty good (maybe not the flying Blightlords?), all the Daughters were good as far as I've seen, and Deepkin have been started to be battletested as pretty good too depending on build. Why is it so unbelieveable that the new Stormcast will be good too?

I thought the reason new nurgle was good was because you could take so many flying blightlords and basically turn 1 charge with all the trees you can get on the table.

I’m not that worried abort summoning, using the new wholly within lingo it’s going to be fairly straightforward to counter. At least with legions of Nagash, 40 skeletons wholly within 9 of a gravesite marker and outside of 9 of enemy models ? Encourages multiple smaller units.  Summoning will be different, from being  obviously broken to a more strategic use, one that can be countered obviously.  The wholly within lingo will also make it Harder to use massive regiments buffed to insanity,  imagine the current buffs one could use on a strong units like bloodletters,  or plaguebearers.  If they all were changed to wholly within they would be hard to take advantage off. 

My guess. Is that the language of the new edition will be the biggest game changer ;) 

14 hours ago, kuroyume said:

Looks like Sacrosanct will not be optional, as with the new Endless Spells any army that can't bring 3-4 dispels to the table is going to be at a serious disadvantage.

It depends really, the spells are pretty powerful, but even with longer dispell range dispelling isn't always the best for countering hard core magic armies, as it's un reliable you'll be in range or that you can out roll your opponent. 

From there the endless spells are all very double edge, and spells like the purple sun i don't see doing a whole ton out side of thier inital casting. It's definitely something i'd have to play around with to know how powerful some of these endless spells will be. 

For instance that purple sun spell looks really hard to get off, while that portal spell requires another spell to be useful with out providing any bonuses to casting or a refund of the spell used like the vortex did.  Definitly a cool new mechanic though. 

Hello, what do you think about this list at 1500k that I have for a next event? I have been a bit removed from the game and I do not know how the current goal is, comments and thank you very much for your time.

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals

Leaders
Lord-Celestant On Stardrake (560)
- General
- Celestine Hammer
- Trait: Staunch Defender 
- Artefact: Mirrorshield 
Lord-Relictor (80)
- Prayer: Lightning Chariot
Lord-Castellant (100)

Battleline
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
10 x Liberators (200)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 2x Grandhammers

Units
2 x Fulminators (240)

Total: 1500 / 1750
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 77

On 5/24/2018 at 7:42 PM, Requizen said:

Alright guys, you can go ahead and be as pessimistic as you'd like. I have 100% confidence that they won't let their flagship army be garbage in the new edition that they're hyping lol, especially with all the new models they want to sell.

Bravo for finding counter-arguments on some Primaris entries (not counting the recent Deathwatch, which just saved the whole primaris range from beeing useless)  ? But you forgot one thing : The Deathguard Codex !!!! where everything (except for the drone and the crawler) is bad at best.

49 minutes ago, The Wanderer said:

About time too. It's over 15 months old, which makes this by far the longest Stormcast have gone without a new Battletome.

I think its more to do with the new chamber than time

I think that there will be many changes in SCE: in a business point of view, the new SCE is a big guy in AoS sales, along with Nighhaunt. They have to boost the sales of those ones.

In a game point of view, there are too many changes not to rewrite (at least partially) the SCE battletome and add the new units, introduce the chambers and magic, rules, battailion, etc...

Archived