Going for a wander

adreal

Whelp, earlier this year I finally took the plunge and went all in with age of sigmar. I've always loved the rules but getting a army together seemed just beyond my reach.

With my 40k pretty much all finished, and with alot of umming and ahhing, I went with wanderers, I liked wood elves back in the day, so have gone with them

20180524_101625.jpg

20180524_185750.jpg

Great start on this army. I like the blueish grey tone for a winter force. The subtle browns of the hair and bows gives some warmte and contrast. 

I hope you don’t mind a fee suggestions to improve your wanderers some more. I would suggest to clip of the pieces of plastic connectting the hooves that are up in the air to the base. That way it looks more natural and as they are all plastic models they’ll be able to stand on the legs that are on the ground. Also you could consider painting the rims of the bases, maybe a dark grey? I feel the black stands out to much with you subtle paint scheme and the snow bases. Speaking of bases, I think it would be really cool If you’d add some small elementa to break up the snow a bit. Maybe some tufts of grass parking through the snow or some bark or rocks lying around. 

Finally, do you use a primer? 

Hey thanks for the reply.

About the horses, that does seem like it would work, but they are very spindly little legs they have.

A few people have suggested the base trim, so yeah I might have a look at doing that, next time I grab some paint I'll get a dark grey.

The plan was to add some tree roots and stuff to the bigger bases, but then real life happened, I have my bits box now so I might do some stuff on the other bigger bases, 25mm doesn't leave alot of room

Due to the liklyhood of wanderers never getting a battletome, and my desire for my battles to mean something, I have put together a rough reason for why wanderers fight the way they do in the mortal realms.

First off, what we know, they fled from the realm of life die to chaos, but, being aelves, they seem to retain thief connection with realm magics.

So they carry a deep shame, and have taken on the reliability of fighting chaos and relating the laylines of the realms that chaos destroyed.

Through travelling the realms they have encountered mankind, who they blame for bringing chaos to the mortal realms, but respect the fact that they will fight chaos, but they will not ally with men, as they know they will fall to the temptations of chaos.
They have encountered dwarves, and they think that they didn't fight in the age of chaos, just hide in the mines or the skies and looked for gold and gems.
They have encountered godless aelves who either dominate (darkling covens, scourge privateers, order seepentus) the mortal realms or sell themselves to the humans (order draconis, swifthawk agents, eldritch council).

They have also encountered aelves they believe to be blessed by gods of old. Asurmen  (Phoenix temple) khaine (daughter's of khaine) and mathlann (idoneth deepkin), seeing them, spurred the wanderers into seeking kuronos, and returning him to the realm of life to be with allarielle.  I'm doing this, and repairing the laylines they believe will absolve them from their ancient shame.

After taking on the task of seeking kuronos, some male aelven children were born with a otherworldly apparience and greater affenitiy with beasts, the wanderers took this as a blessing from kuronos, and when they reached maturity they would form a fighting force known as wild riders. At the same time, some female aelven children were born with a naturally deeper understanding of life magic and a deep affinity with beasts, as they matured they formed a coven known as sisters of the thorn, the wanderers see this as a blessing from allarielle, and see seeking of kuronos as the right and just way forward.

While all wanderers are taught to fight and defend the realms with a bow, some seek to understand the pathways of the laylines and become known as the kindred of the watch, their bows are blessed by both the wild riders and the sisters of the thorn, and because of that they have a supernatural ability to fire so fast that lesser races can't even load a shot before a hail of arrows descend on them, and are said to have the force of a charging elk.

I fully planed on getting another reaver finished, and maybe starting on some glade guard but then, spoopy ghosts happened. 

I like the little fluff tidbit wanderers got in the core book, and liking the background in general, while I might get excited about painting ghosts I still will focus on my Wanderers, waiting on my tax return for 30 sisters of the watch 

20180703_215715.jpg

Awesome to see someone starting a Wanderers army! You have good taste!

Some really cool kitbashing and conversions here, I really like your Waystrider that you've armed with a ranger draich.

I like the tidbits of fluff we got in the core book as well, and enjoyed your write up on why the Wanderers fight. The good part of GW not fleshing out the fluff for our faction is that we get to decide why they fight! Kurnous (now Kurnoth?) got a few very interesting mentions in the core book, on the pages detailing the history of Ghyran, and it was confirmed that he not only still exists in the mortal realms but is in fact ostensibly still alive biding his time somewhere.  Having him show back up to lead the Wanderers to glory would be a dream come true!

30 Sisters of the Watch would be an awesome, albeit expensive, project and would look awesome on the table. I have 2 units of 10 right now and I'm going to pick up another 10, just not sure if I want to take a third unit of 10 or make a unit larger. I look forward to seeing what you do with those awesome models.

I recently had a game where I was allowed to proxie up some sisters, first turn realm wander and not counting as moving put out alot of fire power, makes me so happy they got a point drop.

Liking what I'm reading in the core book so far, and excited to get into the realm specific stuff, your right in that it's good we have enough room with the background to make our own reasons and motives for fighting in the mortal realms, though I do wish for a battletome one day

• 2 weeks later...

Archived