Plan for the Destruction forum post AoS 2.0 - PLEASE READ

Chris Tomlin

Hey guys,

Hope you're all well?

Unfortunately I have been spending pretty much all my TGA time moderating other parts of the forum of late, so have not been able to contribute here anywhere near as much as I'd have liked.

Also, I'm not really one for discussing AoS 2 until the rules are released. I'm not particularly keen on drip fed rules as more often than not they lead to the sort of conversations I have witnessed elsewhere on the forums.

Anyway, once AoS 2 drops I am sure I will be entirely reinvigorated and excited to chat some Ironjawz (hopefully with my brother in arms @Sangfroid re-joining the fray with me!).

Personally, I don't really want to keep the massive threads we have on Ironjawz, Bonesplitterz etc going as whilst the numbers look good, I think they are impractical for newer users.

My vision for the Destruction sub forum is to have a shiny new, stickied, topic for each of the major Destruction factions to discuss them in AoS2. There are discussions within the Mod forum about how this will work in the other sub forums (and I suspect they will leave the longer threads going), but I'd like to call jurisdiction here and ensure what we are doing is right for the fine people of Destruction!

So what do you guys want to see for the Destruction sub forum in AoS 2? Should we keep going with the current threads (I would make an emboldened post in each drawing the line under the old edition), or make news ones? Also should these be stickied, or will their frequent responses allow them to stay relevant regardless?

I was going to do a poll, but tbh I'd rather just see responses from the people actually contributing to this sub forum (and if you're just a silent reader and not a poster, that still counts - your opinion is super important as well).

Finally, I started a "How to get started with Destruction" thread earlier this year. Unfortunately I haven't been able to follow through on this, but would certainly like us, as a community, to revive that project in a few months once we have all found our feet with the new edition. So it's not forgotten, just watch this space.  

Cheers guys,
Chris x

• Chris Tomlin changed the title to Plan for the Destruction forum post AoS 2.0 - PLEASE READ

Hello Chris! 

I dont like our massive faction topics, because too hard found some interesting info in it. I think we need separate discussion and info topics!

How i see, what we can do for improve our sub forum:

1 create pinned topic with tournament build and info(place, some report about games and etc). (hard moderation)

2 create pinned topic for new destruction players with common info about our factions

3 create pinned topic with some buffs and abilities, what working for every destruction faction

4 create topic with rumour about destruction GA! (hard moderation) I realy love common topic, but... now first post does not updated for year or more and TOO hard to find some info in discussion now.

5 create pinned topic about painting with photo and color schemes! You painted model? it's look very nice? Post it with color scheme for other ppl's!

Good idea Chris. 

A bit of book keeping certainly wouldn’t go amiss. Some of the lads do a good job in posting the links for questions that keep coming up but if we could make stuff easier to access that’s a good thing. 

I think @Imperial makes some good points as well.  I’d certainly post my models up. I find the painting section a little bit too high traffic  some times so a place for the Destruction goodness would be nice. 

On a personal note I’m mega excited for Destruction in AoS2. The few artifacts that have been previewed have got me salivating over a few ideas. Really looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with over the vine months. 

Yeah there are a lot of threads within all the sub forums that need to be wiped or archived or both. The Rumor Thread especially needs to be wiped...that thing is massive. At this point once a thread gets huge I only hit the 'Last Page' button and maybe back track a couple pages. 

I vote for a full wipe of every faction specific thread across all sub forums after 2.0. 

I think a single centralized post that is locked and links to the subfaction threads.

Lock the current and start new ones with a title like "Ironjawz gbh 2018" as a lot of the in for in the old thread could be redundant. For example a discussion on how limited the weirdnob is could be irrelevant with a points reduction, warscroll change or even the new realm spells.

That lets you keep the threads current and also update if we get battletomes etc.

Lastly I'd condense the useful information into the thread you were going to do before and put it in the source threads. Gives a definite entry point which you have control over.

New threads sound good, the one thing to take note if you delete the other threads is that any search engines that use those threads as links for people searching about destruction and aos might go missing. Is there a way of locking the thread and keeping it on the forums to let it slide away?

That way we're keeping any potential new visitors searching for tactics on all things destrctions while the new focussed threads are kept at the top of the boards. :)

Prefer new threads as well. Sometimes I even think that a new thread after each GHB is preferable. It's awkward to have read the threads backwards (from last post to first) because earlier posts are out of date, but you can't easily tell where the old the posts end and the current ones start.

Afternoon guys,

Some great food for thought so far and all greatly appreciated. It's good to know that we are all mostly thinking the same sort of thing for the future progression of the sub forum.

Just to confirm, I definitely will not be deleting any content. There is no need as it will slip away in time anyway. I will certainly consider locking some of these threads though. As others have said, having all the pages and posts live within the interwebz is useful for searches and the like, all helps to bring fresh meat here.

37 minutes ago, Sheriff said:

The destruction section should be distinctly disorderly and without moderation, a single thread where we say whatever we like and fight each other. 

Has the Megaboss been gone so long he needs to knock some 'eads together Grot?! ;)

Just because we are Destruction, doesn't mean we need to shun Order and embrace Chaos. God knows we get enough Death in all our games! Haha xD

Have a good weekend and I'll catch up with this on Monday if not beforehand.

Cheers,
Chris x

6 minutes ago, Warboss Gorbolg said:

Prefer new threads as well. Sometimes I even think that a new thread after each GHB is preferable. It's awkward to have read the threads backwards (from last post to first) because earlier posts are out of date, but you can't easily tell where the old the posts end and the current ones start.

For many of the bigger threads in the Destruction sub forum specifically, I think we did a reasonable job of separating GHB2017 from the original GHB. Certainly much better than the other sub forums who have kept the same threads going since the dawn of time! :o

I'd say don't delete just lock the older threads when AoS2 drops. Some point down the line they could be deleted - storage must be costing Ben something.

Been on a totally unrelated forum where people necro 8 year old thread's, must be Death players!

My suggestion is to lock the older big threads, then make a new one and within the first post drop a link to the old locked one in case anyone wants to read them.  There will still be good knowledge within those that will most likely remain relevant.

It would be great to try and come up with a wiki/summary page incorporating some of the important distilled knowledge from the old massive threads to start out the renewed/sticky'd less cumbersome threads for the factions going into AOS 2.  But of course that would be pretty time consuming.  Maybe you could recruit some of the frequent posters who might be willing from each active faction thread to do this? 

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaghhh sorry had to do it as I’m so excited for 2oS!!!

my suggestion would be an individual stickied discussion thread for each called AoS2 Ironjawz, Beastclaw, mixed Destruction, moonclan, bonesniffers, gutbusters (think that should cover the most popular) 

then a general destruction discussion stickied thread for peeps to vent and just discuss other factions etc.. as one of my bugbears is seeing other things discussed in a faction specific threads as this just adds noise and makes finding stuff more difficult.  This thread I could see become just a general chit chat place for the destructon guys & galls 

anyway nom, nom, nom

FF5FEA4E-E46D-4FD4-B142-AD2D089A35B1.jpeg

I agree we need to start new threads for AOS 2. There are so many changes and much of what went before is bound to be out of date and confusing to new players. It is also a pain to go through 20 pages of out of date material to find where the relevant material is. 

It it would be nice to be able to refer back to some of the old threads if we want, but we can organize The new stuff so we can find it easily

Yup, I agree with most of the above. Lock the old threads and start start new ones for each battletome. Chris and Kieran know whet they are doing. I'm happy to leave it to them (and then knock their 'eads togevver if it ain't right, right?, Right!)

Archived