Crazy and fun army ideas for Destruction in AoS 2 (based on changes revealed so far)

Hey Destruction gang!

So with the world apparently ending because of summoning, I have decided to turn my attention to something else (and slightly more positive). I am looking at different ideas for lists and builds in AoS 2 based on the changes we know so far. I know we do not have a complete picture (rules changes and points still to come) but that does not mean we cannot have a fun discussion based on the stuff we do know. 

I am looking for ideas on what we can do with the destruction factions and grand alliance destruction. What is it that gets your juices flowing when you think about your destruction army in AoS 2? Let me start off with some of the things bouncing around in my little green head:

Ironjawz pig list:

We start with a Gorefist and fill that bad boy up with 5 units of Gore Gruntas. Gordrakk starts the game off by telling everyone who is boss and how badass Destruction actually is. Because Gordrakk is such a boss, this gives all of the units in the battalion +2 attacks on each melee weapon in the next combat phase (and one of the units can charge 3d6). The battalion now moves ahead 15 inches with the battalion move. You move your normal Maw-Crusha up 12 inches + the run move where you either roll a six or use a command point to do so. You now land all of your charges and your second in command Maw-Crusha boss reminds everyone that Gordrakk really meant it when he told everyone to chopp em gut! This will give the units in range +1 attack with each of their weapon.  Some of the pigs will have 6 attacks with their weapon and 7 fanged maw attacks possibly doing d3 damage each. Talk about a mean green alpha charge!

ironjawz-gore-grunta.jpg?format=750w

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you could also do the double-battalion that gives you not only the extra move but also the -1 to be hit in the first turn. In the new edition with point reductions you could get gordrak, boss on wyvern, mawcrusha, 3x3pigs - all charging turn 1 with +4 attacks each. 

I've been thinking about this kind of Alpha list since the previews came out. I think combined with smashing and bashing (or whatever the allegiance ability that lets another unit go first in combat if one is wiped out is called) could cause some serious havoc if you are smart about which combat you activate first. If you manage to get your hands on a couple small or squishy units you could take out a big chunk of their force without even being hit back. 

Thematically this would work great too.

Im thinking a huge nomadic empire of Greenskins travelling through the Gargants graveyard in ghur, the mawkrusha equipped with the Beastcallers bones for some monster hunting:AoSRealms-May30-Beastcaller7e.jpg

This would also look great in a sandy-deserty colour scheme...

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 6:27 PM, S133arcanite said:

Thematically this would work great too.

Im thinking a huge nomadic empire of Greenskins travelling through the Gargants graveyard in ghur, the mawkrusha equipped with the Beastcallers bones for some monster hunting:AoSRealms-May30-Beastcaller7e.jpg

This would also look great in a sandy-deserty colour scheme...

I do not think equipping that artefact on a Mawcrusher, or any other monster, is a good idea.  The risk of not be able to attack with your own attacks would be far to great.

So here is a potentially dumb combo that costs an absurd amount of points and would possibly be awful - but fun!

Gordrakk

Moonclan Grot Warboss

20 Squig Hoppers 

Gordakk and the Grot Warboss both use their command abilities onto the Squig Hoppers unit and then you charge that at the enemy.  Gordrakk gives you a 3 dice charge which has roughly a 44% chance to score doubles (wish we could get a combo over 50%) and he also grants +2 attacks.  The wording says +2 attacks to each weapon, so my assumption is that it applies to both the squigs and the goblins.  So that means each squig will have 4 attacks base and you have a good chance of scoring the doubles on the charge to boost that to 6 attacks each.  In addition, the grot warboss command ability will cause every 6 to-wound to inflict double damage.  That is quite a lot of potential attacks.

An alternate strategy is to change out the Squig Hoppers for a max unit of Cave Squigs and toss in a few herders.  The Cave Squigs don't have as many attacks base, and they don't have an ability that triggers when you roll a double on the charge, but they do cause more damage per attack.  In addition, the cave squigs have the ability to reroll a failed charge if herders are close - so they are more prone in this case to making long charges.  That would make for 60 attacks that each do d3 damage - with a possibility to be doubled if you roll a 6+ to wound.

It's not the best thing around, but it could be pretty amusing.  If Moonclan ends up at some point with a Battalion that allows multiple units of squigs (seems likely) then you could really go nuts with this idea.

16 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

The wording says +2 attacks to each weapon, so my assumption is that it applies to both the squigs and the goblins.  So that means each squig will have 4 attacks base

Yes it applies to everything in the melee weapons profile area. It's why he's so good in the gordrakfist

3 hours ago, Malakree said:

Yes it applies to everything in the melee weapons profile area. It's why he's so good in the gordrakfist

That was what I expected, I just figured I would toss that disclaimer sentence in there in case I was wrong and it did not work that way.  That way I don't look as stupid as I usually am.

So here is another really dumb idea - but that might be fun.  Again it involves Gordrakk since we honestly don't have too many shenanigans available without him.

• Gordrakk
  • Orc Warboss - with Banner on Boar (wyvern works also but costs more)
  • Teef Rukk - fill it with as many big stabbas as possible (although a full Teef Rukk is roughly 2090 points right now)
  • Wurrgog Prophet (optional)

So the strategy again is simple here.  Gordrakk uses his command ability and targets a unit of Big Stabbas.  Since they are in a Teef Rukk battalion the ability will effect the whole battalion.  Then have the Orc Warboss also use his command ability and run him to the best position you can so that his command ability aura will catch as much of the Teef Rukk as possible once it charges.  The Warboss does not need to get into a fight himself for this - just use every movement trick you can to get him into a good buff position (use the Destruction allegiance move on him if you need to).  If you have the Wurrgog prophet then he should cast a useful buff spell onto something and get in position to use his command ability in future turns.  Most likely his command ability will not be useful on the same turn that Gordrakk uses his - so save it for later on in the game once the big stabbas are in the enemy lines.  Most likely you will not have the points to bring Gordrakk as an ally so you won't have access to the Bonesplitterz allegiance and spells - so just take the best realm spell you can get.

The rest is simple - charge all the Big Stabbas into combat with as much of the enemy army as you can.  They will get a 3d6 charge and each should be getting 4 attacks.  If the units are within range of the Warboss command ability aura that becomes 5 attacks.  If you went bonkers with making the Teef Rukk as big as you could then this is an obscene amount of attacks that hit stupidly hard.  Not much is going to really survive this charge.  You should have punched a huge hole in the enemy army with this and in subsequent turns you can use the Teef Rukk ability to get extra combats with your Big Stabba units if the enemy has any monsters remaining.  From there you can also use the Wurrgog Prophet's command ability to generate extra combats with Big Stabba units against non-moster units and the Orc Warboss can continue to add extra attacks to the Big Stabba units.

I was thinking along the same lines but leaving gordrakk out so can do Bonesplitter aliegence. 

Allegiance: Bonesplitterz
LEADERS
Wurrgog Prophet (140)
- General
Wardokk (100)
Wardokk (100)
Wardokk (100)
Savage Big Boss (120)
Orruk Warboss (140)
- Boss Pole
- Allies
UNITS
30 x Savage Orruk Morboys (300)
30 x Savage Orruk Morboys (300)
5 x Savage Boarboy Maniaks (160)
BEHEMOTHS
Aleguzzler Gargant (170)
- Allies
BATTALIONS
Drakkfoot Warclan (160)
Kop Rukk (200)

With this it is possible to get the Morboys hitting on 2's and generating extra attacks on 4's wounding on 2's rerolling.

I was thinking about still rocking a Kunnin Rukk but with much more melee support benefiting from the Warboss' CA. A lot of assumptions are going into that list that might not pan out with the new rules thou.

Allegiance: Bonesplitterz

Leaders
Savage Big Boss (120)
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
Orruk Warboss On Wyvern (240)
- Allies

Battleline
10 x Savage Boarboy Maniaks (320)
30 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (360)
30 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (360)

Units
8 x Savage Big Stabbas (400)

Battalions
Kunnin' Rukk (160)

Total: 2200 / 2000
Allies: 240 / 400
Wounds: 210

I like your list, but I feel that you would be better served swapping one of the weirdnobs to a Wurrgog Prophet.  Assuming current point costs you would have to scrape up 20 points for that change, but based on the previews that we have seen so far it seems very worth it to me.  You don’t really need duplication of the weirdnob spell and the wurrgog is a much better caster.  His command ability is quite good and he will give you access to more spells - which might be pretty great with the new endless and realm spells.

In general it seems like with the new system allowing command abilities from any hero that the Greenskinz Orc Warboss is just stupid good unless you are playing goblins.  If you have orcs of any type then he is just a straight up no-brainer include.

16 hours ago, blueshirtman said:

any ideas how bcr lists could be build?

I made a Gordrakk buffing a Eurlbad list, but it's lopsided and just worse than using orruks instead. Combos are about buffs and synergies, which beastclaw don't have in any useful capacity. They are supposed to compete based on overpowered warscrolls and thundertusks killing the opponent's buff heroes in an "if I can't have them no one can" sort of way. If you want to try synergies with ogors, spamming butchers with a bunch of endless spells isn't actually the worst:

Frostlord on Thundertusk w/ Big and Brutish and Battered Talisman (or a better defensive realm artefact)

3x Butchers with Cauldron

12x Ogors w/ paired blades

3x Ogors w/ Iron Fists

3x Ogors w/ Iron Fists

6x Mournfang w/ Gargant Hackers

100-odd points worth of Endless Spells/Command Dice/Realm Lores

Cool, thanks. It is a lot of ogor models though, and I am to scared of nerfs to buy anything in one go.

A question about the thundertusk lord. I know the stones got nerfed hard, but isn't a single thundertusk going to drop super fast? Everyone kept telling me that without 2-3 huskards healing, thundertusks drop in efficiency very fast.  Maybe a single huskarl would be an option worth considering? it is not that he is better then the lord, but at least he is cheaper, and the free points could be used on command points.

31 minutes ago, blueshirtman said:

Cool, thanks. It is a lot of ogor models though, and I am to scared of nerfs to buy anything in one go.

A question about the thundertusk lord. I know the stones got nerfed hard, but isn't a single thundertusk going to drop super fast? Everyone kept telling me that without 2-3 huskards healing, thundertusks drop in efficiency very fast.  Maybe a single huskarl would be an option worth considering? it is not that he is better then the lord, but at least he is cheaper, and the free points could be used on command points.

Oh, don't misunderstand this as a purchasing decision, I'm just spitballing lists before we know everything. Take just about the whole thread with a grain of salt.

On huskards, 'tusks get charted real quick, but the frostlord version has 14 wounds (w/ the trait), importantly a 3+ save, and the three butchers will be randomly cauldron aoe healing him since he'll stay close. I was serious about the endless spells too, the healing one could be good to camp out next to him.

Also, the frostspear gives the lord version an attack that can actually kill something when he inevitably gets charged by enemies and decent attacks late game when his blast is too weak to matter. Is the Frostlord version better than the Huskard version? No, and if you wanted to go more in on the laser cannons, -1 frostlord, -2 mournfang, -all the endless spells, +2 huskard tusks is a legit alternative.

5 hours ago, blueshirtman said:

Hi man, good to see you trying to get your fav faction working! It's going to be tough decision indeed. I think double healing is a good call and with a everything supposedly dropping in points those extra command points could be invaluable. What would you use those extra points for? Do you have any specifics in mind?

I don't really have plans to add any models to my army, as I don't plan to buy anymore stuff till the models I already have get fixed.  I do hope GW will shape the points drop in to nice 50-100pts and that some command abilities are going to be added to BCR models. Probablly not going to work too well, as it seems everyone is getting points drops.

Archived