Root-King Duardin of Ghyran's Living-City

• makeshifts changed the title to Root-King Duardin of Ghyran (updated: 27/09/18)
2 hours ago, Brad Gamma said:

Looking fantastic mate. You really capture the savage druidic vibe.

On 9/20/2018 at 9:00 PM, makeshifts said:

A small kitbash to help pull together my duardin and sylvaneth living city. 

C34CD71F-7CD9-412B-8D1C-6BD52EC8E2A6.jpeg.45cebdff9d09c8749318a1758ef5a75f.jpeg

@Brad Gamma Thanks! Wondering if you could chime in on a suspicion of mine, do you reckon I'm over priming / using too low a quality primer? I'm thinking the above (and other mini's) are getting detail clogged badly.  I'm using generic ebay grey primer, but I think I should move onto at least Army Painter or Citadel.

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

24 minutes ago, makeshifts said:

@Brad Gamma Thanks! Wondering if you could chime in on a suspicion of mine, do you reckon I'm over priming / using too low a quality primer? I'm thinking the above (and other mini's) are getting detail clogged badly.  I'm using generic ebay grey primer, but I think I should move onto at least Army Painter or Citadel.

Heya.

I might not be the best person to consult on spray-primers, because I use vallejo primer through an airbrush. However, I would say that if you feel you are clogging up detail you are probably right. Once my minis are primed, I rarely feel that I have lost an detail.

It would certainly be worth checking out a few other brands of primer, Rustoleum is frequently recommended for spraying minis for good value. Krylon, Citadel, Tamiya and Army Painter are all brands that I have heard people recommend.

I have found before that some of my friends would over prime their mini because they were trying to get a perfect primer coat all over. The main function of primer is to provide a surface for paint to bind to, and it does that job most of the time even if you can still make out some of the original plastic through the primer.

If its not too much of a stretch, I can heartily recommend picking up an airbrush, even for stuff like priming. You can pick up everything you need for under a £100 (thats a compressor, airbrush, cleaning fluids/tools and primer). You won't be doing any fine detail work with the cheap airbrush, but for just getting basecoats on it can be great.

EDIT: If you started a topic just on priming, I'm sure you'd get a bunch of help :)

Edited by Brad Gamma
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, makeshifts said:

What's the distance between the spray can and your miniatures ?
Holding the can too close is usually the main raison for details clogging. The primer quality can play a role as well I suppose, but I don't have any experience regarding this matter.
Try to hold it around 20-30cm, and perform some light spray with an up and down wrist move. I usually do two "coats" with GW spray (which has a high plastic adherence).

EDIT : AWESOME minis by the way. Eager to see them painted.

Edited by Kokoshi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Brad Gamma @Kokoshi

Thanks both. I think my technique, distance, over-zealousness for coverage might be the main factors. I'll try some of the tips with some brands you've said.

My pal has just bought a cheap compressor and kit for this very reason, I'll have a bash on his and see how I get on but I think it's defiantly the way to go.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, makeshifts said:

@Brad Gamma @Kokoshi

Thanks both. I think my technique, distance, over-zealousness for coverage might be the main factors. I'll try some of the tips with some brands you've said.

My pal has just bought a cheap compressor and kit for this very reason, I'll have a bash on his and see how I get on but I think it's defiantly the way to go.

It's up to you, but depending of the level and variety of painting techniques you want to try/master, I'm not sure buying an airbrush (even at cheap price) is necessary if it is only for priming. If you want to try airbrush anyway and can afford it, give it a try. :) 
Good tuto : 

• Thanks 1

• makeshifts changed the title to Root-King Duardin of Ghyran (updated: 07/10/18; Harbinger of Decay)

I bought the Nurgle half of Blightwar for £25!! & some Putrid Blightkings (my favourite kit purchase by far). With the left over Blightking parts and a dirt cheap chaos knight squad purchase I managed to make myself:

The Harbinger of Decay, who has found his way to the fertile glens of Ghyran while spreading his rot in search of the Goddess Nicnevin (re-base coming soon).

IMG_5820.jpg.d3da9c8b232e6dd7d6ad169c2a8f5dba.jpg

IMG_5813.jpg.cfeb74db8fbf8234b18ef81b8bd6bec9.jpg

IMG_5819.jpg.c6456feb5059aa17a9d4347d29ff6776.jpg

IMG_5817.jpg.57b7db8f8a19d117f7c55d5a236ee04f.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 months later...
On 9/28/2018 at 8:11 AM, sometimesminis said:

Duuuuude, these are so good! 

@sometimesminis only after @Arnied3 tagged you did I realize it was you and you liked them! 

Thank you for fleshing out your concepts and inspiring me to go down this path. Hoping to get some more done on them soon if I can stop hobby hopping about!

edit: your blog is awesome, I’ve tried to tag it everywhere I post. 

Edited by makeshifts
Addition.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/13/2018 at 8:31 AM, makeshifts said:

@sometimesminis only after @Arnied3 tagged you did I realize it was you and you liked them! 

Thank you for fleshing out your concepts and inspiring me to go down this path. Hoping to get some more done on them soon if I can stop hobby hopping about!

edit: your blog is awesome, I’ve tried to tag it everywhere I post. 

Thanks man, I really appreciate it!

I know the hobby hopping all too well, but I'm excited to see what you'll come up with, dwarf or not 👀

• Like 1

• makeshifts changed the title to Root-King Duardin of Ghyran's Living-City
  • 1 month later...

I love that post on Sometimes Minis! I was looking to do something similar, but you beat me to it. Would you mind telling some of the parts you used for the earlier converted heroes, or is that your closely guarded secret? I like your inclusion of the Glade Guard bitz, so sad that they took it off. It was my first Miniatures kit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, AthelLoren said:

I love that post on Sometimes Minis! I was looking to do something similar, but you beat me to it. Would you mind telling some of the parts you used for the earlier converted heroes, or is that your closely guarded secret? I like your inclusion of the Glade Guard bitz, so sad that they took it off. It was my first Miniatures kit.

Thanks man, the cities book has got me thinking more and more about these guys, so neglected! 

Main runelord conversion is only really added branchwych bits. Sylvaneth start collecting leaves sooo many good bits over. 

• Like 3