Root-King Duardin of Ghyran's Living-City

I recently found a huge stack of White Dwarfs from 98-2001 in the loft and it completely rekindled my enthusiasm for the hobby. I was around 11 back in those days and so never painted many of my models.

This is my first attempt at my first 10 warriors from my ever growing fully Duardin, Dispossessed, KO, Fyreslayer and Dwarf army. I'm looking to keep this colour scheme going through the army.  I'm using Local Highland slate for the bases, if anyone has any tips on creating a more Scottish Highland feel to bases let me know.

First-10-1.JPG

First-10-2.JPG

First-10-3.JPG

First-10-4.JPG

Edited by makeshifts
  • Like 13

The green , gold and silver compliment each other well. Also nice touch using Highland slate. I've never been to the Highlands but it's definitely somewhere I'd like to take my daughters when they're all a little older.

Looking forward to seeing more as your Duardin army grows!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AdamJ said:

The green , gold and silver compliment each other well. Also nice touch using Highland slate. I've never been to the Highlands but it's definitely somewhere I'd like to take my daughters when they're all a little older.

Looking forward to seeing more as your Duardin army grows!

Thanks, I'm looking forward to putting the colour scheme on the Fyreslayers that I've added some longbeard pauldrons to & used a bit more of the classic Duardin iconography on.  

You should absolutely take your family, the west coast of scotland, especially Lochaber area and Skye are stunning, right now at 28°c even more so.

18 minutes ago, Durant said:

I hate you, my first 10 models were so bad that I had to repaint them twice ;) good job

Every time I look at these I see things I want to change / re-do, I have to tell myself that's part of learning and to apply it to the next batch.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, makeshifts said:

Every time I look at these I see things I want to change / re-do, I have to tell myself that's part of learning and to apply it to the next batch.

If you are like me you will always look and see things to be redone :D

• Like 1

• makeshifts changed the title to Wandering Mountain Duardin of Ghyran.

40 strong throng of warriors painted with another 16 or so to go, I've tried adding some heather tufts to the bases and some pink jewels to introduce a bit of colour. Once I get all my warriors complete I'll hopefully feel confident enough to start painting some more elite units.

I have a Fyreslayer start collecting box box and a Sylvaneth start collecting box  and have some lofty ideas about converting the fyreslayer allies to "Root-King" after seeing some concept art here: https://sometimesminis.wordpress.com/2017/12/05/root-king-duardin-concepts/ I might try introdusing some of these consepts to the disposssessed also.

IMG_4825.JPG.951f6e7ed8614fc702c2f097f1f8c0bf.JPG

IMG_4827.JPG.fda579009008ee71e1f586c0af684ffb.JPG

IMG_4826.JPG.491c4d01c3159ae3dfffcf1949bfbf44.JPG

IMG_4830.JPG.c16ae510b8abf58ab50e3993390b073f.JPG

IMG_4831.JPG.e85e30988731c2cedfa45ba12c8523de.JPG

Edited by makeshifts
  • Like 11

Looks like its coming along nicely! Looking forward to your root-king stuff.

First off, the bases are awesome.

Second I am loving some of the conversions I see dotted around. Especially the guy at the front, is he a warden king? or just a unit leader? The one with the ... fyreslayer plume, custom shoulder, kick ass hammer etc. He looks really unique. Seems you are putting spares to really good use.

Nicely done.

EDIT TO ADD: Loving the double height banner/icon too!

Edited by Brad Gamma
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Brad Gamma said:

Looks like its coming along nicely! Looking forward to your root-king stuff.

First off, the bases are awesome.

Second I am loving some of the conversions I see dotted around. Especially the guy at the front, is he a warden king? or just a unit leader? The one with the ... fyreslayer plume, custom shoulder, kick ass hammer etc. He looks really unique. Seems you are putting spares to really good use.

Nicely done.

Cheers! I'm kicking myself that I got excited and built my magmadroth standard, hopefully I can adapt him with other parts.

I'm having a blast learning and cutting my teeth with these warriors.

Unit leader there, im buying up loads of models and bits I like the look of and playing around with just slapping them together at the moment hopefully my vauge ideas end up cohesive.

17 minutes ago, Stefankemp said:

Loving the look of these. The root-king idea sounds great. I’m interested to see how you pull it off. 

Can I ask where the purple flowers used on your bases are from? I’ve been looking for something similar for my sylvaneth. 

Thanks, hopefully it's a good project to get me thrown into the deeper end with green stuff as well as kitbashing. I'm also hoping the root-king will make good units fill out the two untils of duardin for a future IronBark wargrove Sylvaneth army later.

This is where I ordered from for the heather, I went for the 4mm which was a mistake, I've ordered 2mm  for the future : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Modellers-Modelling-Tufts-Static-Grass-Self-Adhesive-Scenery-Railway-Train/202016754482?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=502020105127&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Edited by makeshifts
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Stefankemp said:

Is that Skye? Was up there last year, a stunning part of the world even when it’s wet and blowing a gale! 

Yes! It really is stunning, the wet and weather only serves to bring amazing light up this way.

Edited by makeshifts

My first kit bash themed around Root-King, heavily inspired by a blog from a brilliant concept artist and conversion dude found here: https://sometimesminis.wordpress.com/2017/12/05/root-king-duardin-concepts/

After centuries without hearth or home the dispossessed clan Dál Riata found themselves in the bountiful lands of Ghyran, finally settling in the Great Glens nestled between the imposing wandering mountains. Unlike most of their cousin duardin the Dál Riata prefer to live in harmony with their surroundings, never leaving a mark on the lands (a trait born of necessity during their nomadic days to keep their location secret).

It was here in the Great Glens the Dál Riata we’re approached by the mysterious goddess Nicnevin, or as others know her Alarielle the Everqueen. She had taken a curious liking to these stout few, their cheery disposition brightening her melancholy nature.

And so it was, with time, Nicnevin taught the wisest among the clan how to commune with the lands themselves. With heavy hearts they listened to tales of a putrid rotting spreading through the lands in mockery of the natural cycles. These tidings shook even the longest of beards into a fury as grudges were spat and wrath promised on those who would bring harm to the Great Glens.  

Now bonded in a pact deeper than any Karak, the Treefolk and Dál Riata work in unison, rich soils shift as ancient roots dig deep in search of minerals to deliver to the Runic Druid Lords. 

6D7987E5-C33E-4EFB-8A20-CD7A5DABDE70.jpeg.1964d472f57964d06e371ae50ff72c9e.jpegDD1D0A9D-AA40-4FBD-B813-D45B8D56FA57.jpeg.07f9d22e5b282b48dd9b38447b48180e.jpegEA069E7C-E722-46E3-8ED9-FEE6D0EA002F.jpeg.d1558eef9bb2e7c8d8d40d8615c75bd6.jpeg9A8FB48C-A055-4221-8E71-E80BC78B35BE.jpeg.76444948888799f9cea5df110839e6e7.jpeg

Edited by makeshifts
  • Like 16
  • LOVE IT! 1

• makeshifts changed the title to Root-King Duardin of Ghyran.
4 hours ago, Brad Gamma said:

Oh man, I am gonna have to apologize in advance, because I have designed almost the exact same runelord ? Including the branchwych mash up!

Its looking really good mate, really looking  forward to seeing it painted!

Hahha, no need to apologise, our themes are so close it’s gonna happen. 

I couldn’t fit an owl on there without looking overly crowded, I have made another runelord from leftover bits and some green stuff, hopefully I can add some animal familiars. From here I’m thinking of starting to convert vulkite berzerkers with some ironbreaker shields and some dryad bits.

Edited by makeshifts
  • Like 1

• makeshifts changed the title to Root-King Duardin of Ghyran (updated: 30/06/18)

Tried my hand at putting some more spares to use, the Runic Druid Lord's body is from a humble warrior, I'm pretty pleased with him but he may be subject to change when I get my boxes of wild riders and Tree-Revenants for spares. 

IMG_E4923.jpg.71bf589a69adf9ca80adb80e8796362c.jpgIMG_E4924.jpg.520c057f976cd1af91c872877aceecdb.jpgIMG_E4926.jpg.0ca880a56b8ba4c02c81a34e63ae561a.jpg

I'm not a massive fan of the Warden King Model (he was a pre-loved eBay purchase) but I've added some elements and will get him re-painted to see if It's made him imposing enough for General status.

IMG_4933.jpg.88af7b49a43cec1e40185c64021dba53.jpg

IMG_E4930.jpg.ee15e289e8304a68d522dc1d2c7f8ae9.jpg

IMG_4931.jpg.81ecaf76a6d5eaa60889146e63e10f78.jpg

Now I've got to stop chopping up bits and get painting!

Edited by makeshifts
  • Like 10
  • LOVE IT! 1

• makeshifts changed the title to Root-King Duardin of Ghyran (updated: 05/07/18)
  • 2 weeks later...

Domnall a' Draoidh, first of his kind and Chief among of all Runic Druid Lords makes his home in Ossian's cave where root and rock as old as Ghyran meet as equals.

Domnall is the spiritual leader of the Dál Riata (Root-King to the other races), with dark offerings he appeases the ambivalent Cailleach the Hag of Stone, with gifts of song and ale he satisfies Nicnevin the Everqueen of Elphame. 

IMG_5161.JPG.fdc7965acb4d7849640c42a28b5e4f55.JPG

IMG_5163.JPG.fb6a511aa282b7b9a5c18cc1cd942e59.JPG

• Like 16
  • LOVE IT! 2

• makeshifts changed the title to Root-King Duardin of Ghyran (updated: 18/07/18)
  • 2 weeks later...
  • makeshifts changed the title to Root-King Duardin of Ghyran (updated: 30/07/18)
  • 1 month later...