The Painting Contract - June 2018

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys, long time no speak, I have been super busy with uni and college so have been keepingoff the forums. Just thought I would share this months model with you. Really enjoyed painting and converting this guy. Calling him done as every time I try to add something I just add a mistake :)

24294E88-9587-4E06-BC13-03584E30ABDA.jpeg

Doing well everyone!

I'm struggling for time at the minute. I did paint some of my Fleetmaster (Lokhir) at Warhammer Club today showing kids how to paint. 

Edit: finished him. Just snow and grass to add, but I'll do that in a big batch. May also add an extra wash and highlight to the cloak at some stage. 

pixlr_20180622132927926.jpg.dc832f259b7b8cdeaaf624884d7988f9.jpg

Hi guys.

I know I am posting for the first time quite late in the month, but I had been following my own targets throughout the year and I thought it was time to share them.

Last year I realized that even though I had only been collecting again for about 10 months, I had already been buying way more stuff than I was finishing, falling into some pretty bad wargaming habits.

So I created a spreadsheet to track everything I bought and everything that I had completed.

This is how my progress looks today (I started this in October last year)

1956869666_Progresschart.jpg.605633ab01f01daff2e7f2898f32fd10.jpg

I now have half of everything I have completed. My new years resolution  was to complete 50% if what I had by June 30th, and I am currently at 49.2%. Threads like this really inspired me to keep going! You can hopefully see how my spending reduced after october last year (but didnt stop ?).

I have just finished a unit of longbeards and I still have a gyrocopter than I need to complete before month end.

Gonna see if I can complete it by the 28th as per the thread theme! Then I will participate normally for the months going onwards!

Longbeards_Front_Edit.jpg.7f218a721b0a8ad066588d91fb06295e.jpg

8 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

@Brad Gamma that’s actually a pretty cool visualization of your painting So ... how does that graph look compared to points value? (Instead of money?)

Ooh that's an interesting thought! Well I know longbeards for example wouldn't have a great ratio. 100pts in the new AoS for £30 (or £40 if you include custom shields) . I chose money as the unit because the main intent was to stop me spending all mine ?

Most of it is 40k so far, space marines and orks. I might try add it as a column in my data. Or even a bar chart where a little dwarf, marine and Ork climb up towards 2000pts!

On 6/23/2018 at 8:44 AM, Mohojoe said:

Those months were well spent, love that model and you have seriously done it justice 

Thanks for the kind words Mohojoe. After finishing him I’ve had quite a buzz and today blitzed through all the base colours and washing for a unit of Mighty Skullcrushers.

Keep up the hard work guys & gals!

2 hours ago, Charles said:

Thanks for the kind words Mohojoe. After finishing him I’ve had quite a buzz and today blitzed through all the base colours and washing for a unit of Mighty Skullcrushers.

Keep up the hard work guys & gals!

And that base is just stellar! I’m seriously digging that ... :)

9 hours ago, TheOtherJosh said:

@Brad Gamma that’s actually a pretty cool visualization of your painting So ... how does that graph look compared to points value? (Instead of money?)

Just because you got me thinking about it...

Numbers are still low, but I get a lot of 1000pt 40k games in which is nice. Trying to get there with AoS now! This graph is only fully painted stuff.

image.png.e700c6571db91ed962677d27733d1ec7.png

29 Archers complete- just the banner dude to do now (or his base and banner, anyway, the dude himself is painted and ready to glue to the base). 

Did another 10 spearmen too. Next is a dragon but I'm a little nervous about starting that one.

P.S. the camera this picture was taken on has terrible colour capture.

IMAG0342.jpg

9 hours ago, MrZakalwe said:

29 Archers complete- just the banner dude to do now (or his base and banner, anyway, the dude himself is painted and ready to glue to the base). 

Did another 10 spearmen too. Next is a dragon but I'm a little nervous about starting that one.

P.S. the camera this picture was taken on has terrible colour capture.

Well unless the camera's colour is way off, then these guys look pretty sweet. I love a strong red colour scheme, do these guys hail from Aqshy? Getting through 40 figures is a feat too! I can only handle having about 5-10 models on the go at any time before I freak out and lose motivation.

Regarding the dragon, have you painted many big models before? I find they are much more forgiving than the smaller models, and while they take longer, they are easier to get looking awesome.

On 6/24/2018 at 9:40 PM, TheOtherJosh said:

And that base is just stellar! I’m seriously digging that ... :)

Thanks, I made the blood texture by applying random layers of PVA glue, and leaving each to dry for a day. 

The Skulls in the river of blood were inspired by Super Mario World on the SNES.

39BA5BD6-C20F-45CF-989B-6C889C83E038.png

2 hours ago, Brad Gamma said:

Well unless the camera's colour is way off, then these guys look pretty sweet. I love a strong red colour scheme, do these guys hail from Aqshy? Getting through 40 figures is a feat too! I can only handle having about 5-10 models on the go at any time before I freak out and lose motivation.

Regarding the dragon, have you painted many big models before? I find they are much more forgiving than the smaller models, and while they take longer, they are easier to get looking awesome.

It's off enough that you lose a lot of the detail on the colour- there's quite a bit of colour blending going on but it's more or less invisible here :/ 

And they do indeed hail from Aqshy! Speaking of which having more than basic order artifacts for these guys is going to be awesome (can't wait). I'm about 100 miniatures into this Highborn army at the moment and it's the furthest I've ever got on an army project so I'm a little bummed they may be being removed. 

I really hope you are right about big models, the only ones I've done before are Leman Russ battle tanks (and as long as you can edge highlight those things are about as easy as it gets) while the dragon looks a lot more finicky . Either way we'll see how it goes. 

Edit: also thanks dude, appreciate the complement :D

I technically pledged these for May, but fell out of the hobby for a few weeks. Finished painting them last week and just added static grass to the bases today, so they're finally 100% done now! These are for Silver Tower despite not being from that box, I didn't want two sets of identical acolytes so I ended up buying a box of them and am planning to convert stuff from the rest.

IMG_20180626_175346.jpg.007b23e26b99c4ab37830b939d6e30d4.jpg

You may notice the shield is upside down... that was unintentional, I didn't notice until the plastic glue had hardened and I'd have had to remove it with clippers at that point... but whatever, it's fine as long as you don't recognise the Tzeentch symbol, which none of the guys I play ST with do ?

IMG_20180626_175351.jpg.393f8b88f194cae0d726e63e266b516b.jpg

IMG_20180626_175358.jpg.ef9b8817014da55d9a134a511ed5d396.jpg

Immediately started working on two minotaurs (standard bearer and musician) after I finished painting these, so I'm definitely back on the horse! They're at the highlighting stage now, so I'll need to find something to pledge for July soon...

1 minute ago, TheOtherJosh said:

Nice job on the bases. Was it greenstuff for the cobblestone basing?

Thanks! It's brown stuff technically (I felt it was easier to work with in this case), but yeah. I did the same for all of the ST Tzeentch cult (so all the baddies except the scuttlings and skaven), more pictures in this thread if you're interested. A whole lot of work, but I am pretty pleased with how it came out.

On 6/5/2018 at 5:47 PM, Griffounet said:

For my first pledge on the forum, i will continue to redo my dark elves  : 
- bringing my bleakswords to 10 elfs. (3/10 done at the moment).
-  finishing , at least, 5 darkshards (only 2 currently)
-  testing the color scheme on a dark rider (to rebase and paint the 5 models unit next month).
- painting my converted assassin
(- And maybe painting a Reaper Bolt Throwers if I found enough time)

I will also painted 2x Nexu from Star Wars Imperial assault. They will do some nice count-as Razordon :) .

Reveal hidden contents

IMG_6032.JPG.f44d2b2d48dce15440f344657545e125.JPG

So... I not managed to finish my pledge for june but I got some progressions on them.

IMG_6144.jpg.13f025d932d08505b6954527841450de.jpg

IMG_6147.jpg.ab03dacd0a2ac16eb73f6c659cf13930.jpg

IMG_6148.jpg.009da014537db07bf80cbbf396572df3.jpg

IMG_6146.jpg.7d599550b94ce71a69dfd65ad28eb0dc.jpg

Spoiler

And i also converted and painted an addition for my human team of Blood Bowl to play them as Nordic team.

IMG_6149.jpg.6017a2b7e882146e7875a91f3e4b1bb7.jpg

On 6/1/2018 at 2:53 PM, syph0n said:

Right. I've got a right massive pile to do, so gotta get on. I bought a load of models this month, including another dragon and hydra (2 of each total) a sorceress, 2 assassins (love them, rule of cool), 10 Doomfire Warlocks, a Bloodwrack Shrine, 10 Melusai and another 10 Drakespawn Knights. The Daughters of Khaine won't be built yet however. This gives me a few 1k and 2k list options and all that in between. 

Pledge:  I NEED to finish all my Drakespawn including the knights. That's 13 drakespawn (final bits) and 15 knights. 

My son has also got a 1k Stormcast list on the way with my Daughters of Khaine. That's a bit of painting for me too (he does the gold, I do spraying, edges and tidying). 

I'd love to get 1 dragon and 1 hydra done to have 1k painted, but realistically that's unlikely! 

How overly optimistic was I??? :) 

So, I've finished 10 drakespawn. I've finished 1 knight (Malus Darkblade, but he's only a knight now), but base coloured 5 other knights previously. I have nearly finished a chariot (base and charioteers to go). I finished Lokhir Fellheart.

did build the entire Stormcast half of the original starter set, plus a unit of Vanguard Raptors. They're also sprayed gold. 

So I was a busy bee, just a very misdirected one! 

I'll put some pics of the collective progress on here later.

Well I did not get as much AoS painted as I would have liked this month. Mostly because I spent more than half of the month on my first 500 points of 40k orks. Boyz are very satisfying to paint for me in the same way that Khorne Bloodreavers were the month before. I guess I just enjoy painting infantry/battleline troop hordes. I may feel differently if I ever paint a full army of them, but for now I look forward to painting more down the line.

On topic, I am mostly finished with 10 Stormcast Eternal Liberators:

104556364_SCELIBWIP.jpg.4520ff14142ed6044e75f853bd79aaec.jpg

Yes, I went with the generic gold and blue, even using most of the same colors as the official Duncan video. I found Kantor Blue way too dark for my tastes though and used a lighter blue (unfortunately I only decided that after painting all 10... next time I must remember to do a test model when starting a new faction). I am hoping they will look good fighting alongside my High Elves, who also have some gold and a good amount of blue. I still need to apply transfers, but that will go in the July contract. 

Archived