My Goals:

1 Ogroid

10 Brimstones

3+2 Screamers (two from the Chariot)

10 Blues

Stretch Goals:

Changling OR Gaunt Summoner

10 Pinks

I planed to join in yesterday but I was too busy painting xD.

Ogroid finished today and 10 Brimstones only need their bases done.

IMG_20180610_174252.jpg.a914733d2c4fbe98e42fa920ac6c3b6f.jpg

5 hours ago, Drib said:

My Goals:

1 Ogroid

10 Brimstones

3+2 Screamers (two from the Chariot)

10 Blues

Stretch Goals:

Changling OR Gaunt Summoner

10 Pinks

I planed to join in yesterday but I was too busy painting xD.

Ogroid finished today and 10 Brimstones only need their bases done.

The +2 Screamers are an undersized Unit, and magnetizing the Chariot to be able to run it either as a Exalted Flamer on Chariot/Exalted Flamer on Foot or go the other route to be able to run it as a Herald on Disc or Herald on Chariot could give you alternative options.

I went the Magnetizing route to do the Herald on Disc/Chariot myself. (It also made painting the Disc easy as pie.)

D03B8D5D-9542-4431-8746-BDAC525BD27B.jpeg.ca258055eedf9e86557f2213260c0bf1.jpeg

5699038E-8F2C-484C-98FA-57793A3CAE5B.jpeg.598ab6046ad55e6237a1f375f7ddb134.jpeg

I will only paint them together.

And yes, I did magnetize the Herald on Disc/Chariot. But I like to keep the Screamer Seperate to paint the magic effect on their tail and for easier  access to the belly.

I also like smaller bases for some of my models (damn you offical base size list!:S) e.g. I put the chariot  on a 72mm oval Base and my Achaon on a 120mm Oval, they seemed so lost on the bigger ones ...

3 hours ago, Drib said:

I will only paint them together.

And yes, I did magnetize the Herald on Disc/Chariot. But I like to keep the Screamer Seperate to paint the magic effect on their tail and for easier  access to the belly.

I also like smaller bases for some of my models (damn you offical base size list!:S) e.g. I put the chariot  on a 72mm oval Base and my Achaon on a 120mm Oval, they seemed so lost on the bigger ones ...

The chariot actually covers the full footprint of the 120mm oval, and it means I didn’t have to worry seriously about visibility of the screamer bellies. On my Exalted Flamer chariot they actually sit really low on the base and I could probably have not painted the belly at all. xD

With the upcoming change to base to base measuring, the 120mm oval base gives it a suitable footprint, and I don’t have to worry about other models bumping into the Screamers on the table. 

I didn’t glue the Screamers to the chariot base until Painting was done either, I used blu-tac to hold them until it was done, and the 120mm base gave some opportunity for modeling and basing details and I didn’t have to worry much about the underside of the Screamers.

Getting there now with my Drakespawn Knights. Just a bit of fine detail work. 

IMG_20180613_205515913.jpg.6baec45dc8d455e5520f2e469a8ad53f.jpg

Spines, gold and faces to do. I'll probably do some final highlighting. 

Also getting there with the Chariot. 

IMG_20180613_205444832.jpg.ac5d06c59dc045b5d7d9aea1c9ab1cd1.jpg

Feel confident I'll have at least 1 totally complete unit, including the Knights. 

20 Highborn Archers painted and ready to be attached to bases. Just experimenting with what's the best way to base a painted mini so should be over soon.

That will bring me to 50 painted Highborn archers when complete (although these 20 are noticeably better paintedthan the others which is annoying) just in time for GW to remove them from the game. 

IMAG0337.jpg

35 minutes ago, syph0n said:

Getting there now with my Drakespawn Knights. Just a bit of fine detail work. 

IMG_20180613_205515913.jpg.6baec45dc8d455e5520f2e469a8ad53f.jpg

Spines, gold and faces to do. I'll probably do some final highlighting. 

Also getting there with the Chariot. 

IMG_20180613_205444832.jpg.ac5d06c59dc045b5d7d9aea1c9ab1cd1.jpg

Feel confident I'll have at least 1 totally complete unit, including the Knights. 

Really love the green on those Drakespawn.

My pledge is slightly altered. My GUO, Scrivener and plaguebearers are all 95% done and just need basing but I'm proud to say I wasn't totally distracted by these lovely Duardin. I'm buying a new leadbelcher spray today and plan to do my other 5 Irondrakes and get started on 10 Ironbreakers and 10 Longbeards.

I realise my Irondrakes may have been a bit simply done, but I just find the painting of gold trims over a silver base very relaxing and think they look tabletop ready as they are.

Any advice for basing for these dorfs?

20180615_104545.jpg

3 hours ago, Kirjava13 said:

Do you have any advice for shading/highlighting them?

They work just fine with ordinary shades, though you may need to gloss them back up, as with other metallics. I use nuln gloss to darken the area nearer the wings on mine. I paint them all over with toxic purple, which is shifting green/purple, and paint the edges in psychotic illusions, which is a teal/purple/red. It gives them an almost petrol-spill look, with naturally lighter tips. If you don't want to do anything quite as dramatic, you can mix the chameleon paint with stormhost silver to make a brighter highlight layer.

2 hours ago, Soulsmith said:

They work just fine with ordinary shades, though you may need to gloss them back up, as with other metallics. I use nuln gloss to darken the area nearer the wings on mine. I paint them all over with toxic purple, which is shifting green/purple, and paint the edges in psychotic illusions, which is a teal/purple/red. It gives them an almost petrol-spill look, with naturally lighter tips. If you don't want to do anything quite as dramatic, you can mix the chameleon paint with stormhost silver to make a brighter highlight layer.

Have you got pictures of the psychotic illusions paint? Thinking of black dragon wings and the snake half of my Melusai. 

Archived