Will Malign Sorcery Be Used In Matched Play

The Balewind Vortex is part of this and allready saw matched play use since it's inception. So yes, I think it's very likely it will be used.

But did we recieve confirmation that it isn't part of the regular Core Rules?

Since they're not tied to a custom mission, I would 100% expect them to be a part of matched play. 

In a general sense it seems like tournaments place the greatest restrictions on missions, and the core game content is left unchanged. 

1 hour ago, Killax said:

The Balewind Vortex is part of this and allready saw matched play use since it's inception. So yes, I think it's very likely it will be used.

But did we recieve confirmation that it isn't part of the regular Core Rules?

Unless something has changed since Fest, Malign Sorcery isn't part of the core rules or rulebook.  It was being talked about as an expansion to the core rules.

I was a big fan of the Battle Magic and Arcane Magic sets in 4th edition WFB. It was part of the core game but released as a seperate box with loads of spell cards, item cards, templates and a rulebook. Nobody ever considered not using it that I knew.

Hoping for something similar with this edition - a box with a book, cards and models for the spells :D 

Magic & Monsters are what makes a fantasy wargame in my opinion so i'm really looking forward to it.

They announced in the Stormcast podcast yesterday that they were available for matched play but you need to pay points to use the specific spell you want.

They talked about how when you've got 40, 50,  60 pts left etc there will be a choice of whether you go for the triumph, the extra command point or take one of these endless spells instead.

13 hours ago, TalesOfSigmar said:

They announced in the Stormcast podcast yesterday that they were available for matched play but you need to pay points to use the specific spell you want.

They talked about how when you've got 40, 50,  60 pts left etc there will be a choice of whether you go for the triumph, the extra command point or take one of these endless spells instead.

So balewind is coming down in points. Still really interested to see what changes they made to it that won't make it an auto-include over that new spell gate thing (Which I'm super keen for; it suggests the gaunt on disc will be an option now).

On 5/29/2018 at 5:08 AM, S133arcanite said:

Basically what it says on the tin, will it become a serious part of the AoS tournament setting e.g Grand Tournament, or will it be more like the Malign Portents book?

Thoughts?

Endless spells are the thing least likely to be rejected by the tournament community.  The only thing I can see tournament communities rejecting outright is the realm selection(and that's only if it's both random and poorly balanced, although with Banishment existing it's looking like at least one of those will be true.) Even summoning is an FAQ at worst.

3 hours ago, Waiyuren said:

So balewind is coming down in points. Still really interested to see what changes they made to it that won't make it an auto-include over that new spell gate thing (Which I'm super keen for; it suggests the gaunt on disc will be an option now).

They only said some of the smaller spells cost 40, 50pts they did say others cost more.

They've already said the Balewind will be changing massively so it could drop in points if it's completely different. I'm sure we'll find out in the next couple of weeks.

2 hours ago, BURF1 said:

Endless spells are the thing least likely to be rejected by the tournament community.  The only thing I can see tournament communities rejecting outright is the realm selection(and that's only if it's both random and poorly balanced, although with Banishment existing it's looking like at least one of those will be true.) Even summoning is an FAQ at worst.

Think the realm selection will be in tournaments too, Ben Johnson tweeted last night that it was definitely in matched play so think it'll be a fundamental part of building an army. It gives the smaller factions more choice for artefacts and that rather than the generic grand alliance list.

Morning,

Interesting question!

I have a big decision to make regarding this, as I am running 75+ player tournament on 4th-5th August (BLACKOUT - Tickets still available), which will obviously be using AoS2 rules.

I look forward to reading through all the new rules when they are out and making a decision around Malign Sorcery etc. I would definitely like to include as much as I think is practicable as I do think it's important to give the game a chance "as written".

But yeh, I won't get drawn into discussions based around the drip feed rules they've shown so far and will just wait for the release before commenting further :) 

Chris

6 hours ago, TalesOfSigmar said:

Think the realm selection will be in tournaments too, Ben Johnson tweeted last night that it was definitely in matched play so think it'll be a fundamental part of building an army. It gives the smaller factions more choice for artefacts and that rather than the generic grand alliance list.

The spells seem to be related to which realm the game is taking place of, instead of which realm the army is coming as with the artefacts. That is bit harder to incorporate in to a tournament setting. They also look like straight up expansion to the rules which we have now in GHB, which are labeled under Narrative content.

Archived