Why TGA is a happy place and is going to stay that way. NEEDED A BUMP AGAIN

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I LOVE WARHAMMER It might be an obvious thing to say. But it’s true. It’s why I do what I do. It why spend a massive percentage of my disposable income on my hobby.  It’s why any free t

+++MOD HAT TIME+++ I've just hidden a number of posts going over if the rules were right, or if this is a public forum and other bits.  I can't believe that what started off as such a positive po

I've studied social media dynamics for a decade now for the Department of Defense, commercial, and non-profit clients, focusing on manipulation, false information, anonymity, and persuasion dynamics,

Posted Images

All the hearts and cheers, friend.

CELEBRATE is what we should be here for.

(And I remember getting a ride in a mate's work van from my hotel to play some Warhammer on a Thursday night in Derby...)

Edited by amysrevenge
  • Like 2

I moved to Nottingham in part because Warhammer World is here... commitment!

In all honesty this is the best Sigmar related forum going (I’ve checked) hence why I idle here in my spare time and subject you all to my awesome yet relentless ideas.

cheers for keeping it positive!

• Like 6

Indeed, I love reading all of the rumour threads etc, and the awesome painting blogs.

TGA is a really awesome site right now, and I hope it stays that way. 

Big changes in AoS are a reason to celebrate the good things that might be to come, not a cause for woe :) 

1 minute ago, blueshirtman said:

So not to break any rules in the future, how does one voice being unhappy about something now, or is that not allowed?

The best thing is to wait until it happens, in context, before complaining about it.  Meaning pretty much anything from AoS2, up until it actually comes out next month.  And even then, think twice about it (there are some SCORCHING hot takes from last time around that turned out to be completely wrong).

And if you can't resist, there are other places to do it...

• Like 5
10 minutes ago, blueshirtman said:

So not to break any rules in the future, how does one voice being unhappy about something now, or is that not allowed?

I thought about addressing this in the post, but then I thought it not needed. 

Its not about agreeing or disagreeing. It’s about the way you present your agreement or disagreement. 

Remember Wheatons Law. 

If you hate that there are 17 Stormcast releases in 5 months do you really need to post that on a forum. 

If you are genuinely angry enough about yet another chamber being opened that you feel the need to rage about it on a forum, posting. Will only make you angrier.

how about making a suggestion on what could be done instead. Which faction need a boost and what your would like to see released. A constructive discussion about it. 

The reason 4Chan is horrible is because the rampant complaining is not reigned in by anyone 

• Like 10
12 minutes ago, blueshirtman said:

Just don't be a ****** about it. Your a smart person, I am sure you get the intent of Ben's message. Ben is not calling out being critical. He is calling out relentless negativity, name calling and bitterness.

• Like 5

I don't know you personally Ben, but I love the community that you have created here. It embodies the best of the hobby and is a true celebration of Warhammer. I have enjoyed being a contributor and look forward to the AOS2 fun times ahead.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, blueshirtman said:

Just follow these simple rules....

1) Has said thing I’m unhappy about happened? Or do I have all the facts about said thing I’m unhappy about? 

If answer is yes, go onto step 2

2) is what I’m going to say be constructive criticism?

I agree 100% with what @Ben has said. I love Warhammer and it’s a big part of my life. If it wasn’t for Warhammer I wouldn’t have met my wife (in a round about way). This forum is also my happy place when I don’t get chance to play due to work or being a dad. I’m also a bit grumpy that over this Bank Holiday weekend in the UK I’ve been reviewing reports about posts on this forum. 

At the end of the day, Warhammer Age of Sigmar is a brilliant game and hobby. I have met so many great people over the years due to it and it give me great pleasure playing it and painting and assembling the kits from GW. 

So basically, this forum is great, Age of Sigmar is brilliant and I can’t wait for the second edition!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Well said @Ben! This is a haven of a community site almost unheard of on the Internet.  I hope it stays this way as it is the awesome community here with the great dialogue and exchange of ideas that got me into AoS in the first place. Keep it up your doing a great job!

Thanks for reinforcing this, Ben. I'm a father of 3 nurglings and don't the time or appetite for outright negativity or drama. The vibe and friendliness of TGA is precisely why I come here. It's unique and should be preserved.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Ben said:

how about making a suggestion on what could be done instead. Which faction need a boost and what your would like to see released. A constructive discussion about it. 

I think I will limit myself to reading posts then, and asking questions about rules etc. I don't get the whole don't being a ****** part, I assume it is some sort of interaction thing or something, and I am really bad with that.

1 hour ago, Gaz Taylor said:

1) Has said thing I’m unhappy about happened? Or do I have all the facts about said thing I’m unhappy about? 

If answer is yes, go onto step 2

2) is what I’m going to say be constructive criticism?

Ok, I don't think this would work for me. Even with medicin am in a unhappy state 24/7. Is a question like "how do people think rule X will shape Y" a constructive one, I think it is, but am never sure about stuff like that.

1 hour ago, Greyshadow said:

Your a smart person, I am sure you get the intent of Ben's message. Ben is not calling out being critical. He is calling out relentless negativity, name calling and bitterness.

I actually do not get the post, but I see this is a moderator rules post, and I wouldn't want to get kicked out. The not being negative part seems hard to do, as is the bitterness. Name calling I never really understood how it works, I know that calling peoples parents is not ok, as are any vulgar terms, but I think that is covered by the forum rules.

1 hour ago, blueshirtman said:

I mean, you can voice your discontent. But do so on a nuanced and level headed manner. I know, it's not simple, I have failed to do so quite a few (possibly too many ) times but I honestly think it's possible to say things in a polite and calm manner in a way that you get your points across without the need of (looking into a few of my past postings across the net) try to cleave wide open your verbal "opponent".

Edited by KillagoreFaceslasha

yeah, I technicly go to therapy to learn what polite means, but there are so many rules, and they change all the time, they are different at school, different when you talk to different people, or when it is in a group. someone can make a joke, and everything thinks it is funny, and if you say the same thing you change school. I sometimes think it would be easier if people just said what they want, probablly not better though.

• Subscriber

TGA does have a very welcoming community, which is great for discussion as it means no one is worried that they'll be ganked by thousands of angry and abusive replies for posting an option (this should be the standard, but it's a luxury on the internet). As such, I agree with the idea to moderate unhelpful toxicity on the forum. 

However, for reference, how much 'complaining' is considered below the toxicity line? For example, if my army got a very disappointing battletome (it made the army unfun to play and didn't even have cool lore or art - truly a terrible tome), I understand it wouldn't be proper to say "I hate GW and I hope their headquarters set on fire - would serve them right for writing this drivel", but would it be considered proper to start a topic along the lines of "I think X tome is disappointing, here's why, and here's what I think could have gone better"? I know some would consider the latter to be whining - after all, you can't change the tome now that it's out - whereas others may find it useful to vent and perhaps suggest ideas that they could send to GW in hopes of a fix. 

I personally think constructive criticism is the only way to have an engaging and healthy community, providing it is actually constructive. That said, I do understand that some people would prefer that criticism was kept to a minimum (understandable as sometimes too much criticism can turn a community sour).

Thanks for your time as a moderator, by the way! I imagine that gets pretty stressful when a new edition is on the horizon. 

By the same token, I'd say that often some people do need to realise that leaping down the throats of people who DO post genuinely constructive, well-measured criticism just because they've voicing an issue with some facet of the game doesn't help contribute to the atmosphere either. 

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 11
  • Ben changed the title to Why TGA is a happy place and is going to stay that way. NEEDED A BUMP AGAIN